in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-06-2011 5:05 PM by Andre. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-16-2011 7:40 AM

• Andre
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-04-2010
    • Cape Town
    • Posts 56
    • Bronze Member

Beogram 4002 Series 5511 Spindle Bearing Question

Hello All

Yes, I am still here and have not forgotten all the help, tips and advice I received in resuscitated my 4002. However, as I am a working man as I'm sure most of your are, work remains 'in progress' but the 4002 is almost completely listenable - in fact it now has a semi-permanent place on a coffee table in my lounge and the Garrard 301 which also shares the room, gets much less plays than my 4002.

Work done on it since I last posted, was to replace all the troublesome original switches under the control panel with dinky little micro switches which improved matters a lot.

Last night, I took a lot of time to adjust the platter to be flush and dead centre to the surrounding cover plates.

I just have another question regarding the platter spindle bearing. Everything is spotlessly clean, unscored and the bearing well is filled with some good quality synthetic fishing reel oil.

I have however noticed there is a huge amount of sideplay on the bearing shaft. If one spins the subplatter, it spins freely and without 'wobble'.

Is this shaft sideplay intended and normal? Was it made like this or is it wear? 

Regards

dauphine

• 10-18-2011 12:31 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

Re: Beogram 4002 Series 5511 Spindle Bearing Question

Thought someone with more experience would answer, but since nobody has:  my 4002 has virtually no side to side play that I noticed in the 20 or so times that I took out the platter while working on the deck.

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 10-18-2011 2:23 PM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Hi !

The early 4002 have a Beogram 4000/6000 bearing and these have some play but not much.

The later ones have a smaller bearing and have indeed much more play.

This is perfectly normal, this is an auto-centering design with only one sintered bronze bearing at the top. But it should be stable in rotation, as it stabilizes itself at the bottom with the weight of the platter assembly!

Jacques

• 11-06-2011 2:27 PM In reply to

• Andre
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-04-2010
    • Cape Town
    • Posts 56
    • Bronze Member

Rich,

Thanks for your reply. After I wrote this post, I selected some brass shimstock (0.055mm) thick, rolled it into a tube and inserted it into the bearing well. I also changed the oil from synthetic fishing reel oil to Castrol Final Drive EPX 85W140 transmission oil.

Even with a relatively thick bearing 'liner', the platter spins very freely and there's hardly any sideplay now.

I showed a machinist friend the situation this afternoon and he suggested that the bearing well as it was, could hardly have been caused by wear - not even by 40 years of continuous running. 

When I first discovered this situation, the bearing had clean lubricant, the bearing bore was un-scored as was the platter shaft.

A real mystery how it got like this - unless B&O engineers specified it like found. In the absence of comment, I'm still unsure if I did the right thing by shimming the well.

andre/dauphine

• 11-06-2011 3:06 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The platter on these decks will almost always wobble a bit if pushed by hand.
    It was always like that, even from new.
    B&O's platter spindle bearings are generally of very good quality and it shouldn't
    wobble when playing, obviously.

Martin

• 11-06-2011 5:05 PM In reply to

• Andre
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-04-2010
    • Cape Town
    • Posts 56
    • Bronze Member

Hello Martin

It is real good to hear from you and clearing up this question.  There was no 'wobble' of the platter with the belt fitted and rotating, despite the sideplay observed when the subplatter was pushed by hand when stationary.

Although the platter still spins freely, I may as well remove the shim as the factory knows bestSmile

Best regards

andre/dauphine

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)