in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-17-2011 7:02 AM by Medogsfat. 31 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-14-2011 3:07 PM

Does this seem a fair deal ?

Deleted

Filed under:
  • 09-14-2011 3:16 PM In reply to

• rfc1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-06-2008
    • Posts 166
    • Gold Member

Re: Does this seem a fair deal ?

I think you should have asked these questions before buying the speakers??

I have bought from this seller a few years ago and been ok. 

Cheers sandy.

• 09-14-2011 3:20 PM In reply to

Deleted

• 09-14-2011 3:44 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I don't think anyone here will advise you not to pay for something you've bid on unless it is an obvious scam, which this is not. It is one of the most annoying things for a seller to have a non paying bidder.

The BL4000's are a very well respected speaker - personally I would pay cash on collection just to make sure you are getting exactly what is described.

Price wise - I would have wanted mint condition for that money. They are described as being very good but this is a really subjective description, this seller has sold some pretty ropey (in my opinion) items in the past & given them this description. The problem is that rating condition is extremely subjective & what one person would call "good" someone else may call "mint" & yet another person may call fair or even average. I think my opinion on good is really of a higher standard than this & some other sellers.

Having said that, as it is a "buy it now" sale it is subject to distance selling laws which means you can return them for a refund if you change your mind once you receive them no matter what the reason - so long as it is within the regulatory time and in the same packaging & condition in which they are received. You will still be stuck with postage charges though.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 09-14-2011 3:51 PM In reply to

Deleted

• 09-14-2011 3:54 PM In reply to

Deleted

• 09-14-2011 3:58 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Errr....

You really cannot compare the £30 Maplin jobs to BL4000's. They are in a league stratospheres ahead, you won't be disappointed at all with the sound, particularly if they are the better MK1's.

Don't pay too much attention to all the buy it now prices out there, it is the auctions which reflect the true market value on ebay. And for £550 you could have got a much nicer set but you would have probably had to wait some time for the right set to come along. Gold (or any coloured) ones are generally of lower value than the silver ones as they are less versatile.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 09-14-2011 4:02 PM In reply to

Deleted

• 09-14-2011 4:04 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

JONNIE:

Thanks for that yes I will do cash on collection it just isnt worth the risk !I am not in habit of not buying when agreed but at such a large amount and when I am inexperienced I just needed advice thanks!! 

You could always ask for a bit off for cash as it will save the seller on Paypal fees (of approx 4% I think). I would also suggest that if you agree to the seller filing a cancel auction with ebay it would give him back his final valuation fees of 10% which he should at least split with you.

Chris.

• 09-14-2011 4:13 PM In reply to

Deleted

• 09-14-2011 4:15 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

- and Ebay sellers can't leave anything but positive feedback.
    But you could get an unpaid item strike (which is only visible to Ebay).

Martin

• 09-14-2011 4:40 PM In reply to

Deleted

• 09-14-2011 5:01 PM In reply to

JONNIE:

I will contact seller it seems mad but I am going to have to do a round trip of 400 MILES!but I think worth it and will make a weekend trip of it as well so I can see and hear before I buy !otherwise if I pay £550 and get them and they are not good I will be devastated!and alot of hassle

If you drive the 400 miles and find they are not good in looks or in sound `9yes, make him play them foryou first!) then do not ptoceed with the purchase and you will have made a good investment of 400 miles and 7 hours of your time.

If they are great ... then ... you will have made a good investment of 400 miles and 7 hours of your time Laughing

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 09-14-2011 5:25 PM In reply to

Deleted

• 09-14-2011 5:33 PM In reply to

Deleted

• 09-14-2011 5:34 PM In reply to

Deleted
  • 09-14-2011 6:17 PM In reply to

I think tis is better deal !

Deleted

• 09-14-2011 6:23 PM In reply to

Re: I think tis is better deal !

Deleted

• 09-14-2011 9:52 PM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

JONNIE:

I think these are better option  "250891345437" (ebay ref) and I think I will go up to £450 Max any advice ? and I will go and collect !

You should have asked ALL questions BEFORE buying the item.  You now have a contractual obligation to pay for it.     Furthermore:

-The seller has an excellent selling feedback record.

-The auction indicates that he is offering a 7-day money back guarantee.

-The auction indicates that collection in person is fine.

What more are you looking for?  You are precisely what makes selling an unpleasant experience for sellers.

• 09-15-2011 10:21 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

mediabobny:

JONNIE:

I think these are better option  "250891345437" (ebay ref) and I think I will go up to £450 Max any advice ? and I will go and collect !

You should have asked ALL questions BEFORE buying the item.  You now have a contractual obligation to pay for it. 

I agree 100%

-The auction indicates that he is offering a 7-day money back guarantee.

He isn't offering anything here - he has no choice in this as he has a legal obligation under distance selling laws.

• 09-15-2011 10:57 AM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

Medogsfat:

He isn't offering anything here - he has no choice in this as he has a legal obligation under distance selling laws.

Under the return policy in the auction it states this.  Given his use of "we" and "our", it sounds like his policy, or at least his agreement to abide by rules in effect. 

All But It Now items are covered by the seven day return policy as described within the Distance selling regulations Any item returned must be in the condition described and at the buyers cost. Auction style listings are exempt from refunds unless the item is found to be significantly not as described-we always do our best to describe our items but it is not always possible to comment on every mark and scratch. Please bear in mind that many of our items are second hand and of some age. Any item listed as spare parts or falls in our spare part shop catogary is NOT eligable for returns on the basis that the fitting of parts incorrectly can cause irrepairable damage to the unit. We always advise customers to arrange fitting by a fully competant person We always obtain Proof of Posting and make sure items posted are covered by relevant postal insurance.
  • 09-15-2011 1:29 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

mediabobny:

Under the return policy in the auction it states this.  Given his use of "we" and "our", it sounds like his policy, or at least his agreement to abide by rules in effect. 

All But It Now items are covered by the seven day return policy as described within the Distance selling regulations Any item returned must be in the condition described and at the buyers cost. Auction style listings are exempt from refunds unless the item is found to be significantly not as described-we always do our best to describe our items but it is not always possible to comment on every mark and scratch. Please bear in mind that many of our items are second hand and of some age. Any item listed as spare parts or falls in our spare part shop catogary is NOT eligable for returns on the basis that the fitting of parts incorrectly can cause irrepairable damage to the unit. We always advise customers to arrange fitting by a fully competant person We always obtain Proof of Posting and make sure items posted are covered by relevant postal insurance.

This part is a really grey area, he sells plenty of spare parts on a buy it now basis which are listed as being in fully tested & working condition. I can see someone returning a non-working part only find it is his word against yours. Where does that leave the buyer? As far as I'm concerned the distance selling regulations still apply & no disclaimer or "returns policy" should stand against this. As you can see above he is totally contradicting himself.

Chris.

• 09-15-2011 1:30 PM In reply to

Deleted

• 09-15-2011 1:39 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Oh dear.

It has also been stated by another member that he has had good dealings with this seller.

This company has not been "slated", just one of his attempts at customising some speakers left a little to be desired and was only the subject of personal taste. Lots of sales on ebay are picked up on this forum and are subject to the same type of scrutiny - it doesn't mean the seller is untrustworthy or that the item is not going to appeal to someone else. I'm sure someone out there will buy them before too long & be happy with them - it just won't be myself or many other B&O fans who like things being done with a little more subtlety and in keeping with the original designs.

As mentioned at the top of this thread - I doubt if you will find anyone here who will suggest not paying for these & his lifestyle should have no bearing on this whatsoever. If someone ever bought somthing off of myself & then changed their minds simply because I have a nice house, car & dog I would be livid.

Chris.

• 09-15-2011 1:50 PM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

"What more are you looking for?  You are precisely what makes selling an unpleasant experience for sellers."

Hi JOHNIE

I've replied to your other post but it looks like you're going to pull out of the deal you made anyway....... I can't really see what difference it makes to you if you think the seller has got 10 swimming pools or not... He's running a business...good businesses make money...that's how the society we live in works.

I can only concur with the line of the above...

Cheers

Nigel 

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >