in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-30-2011 4:06 PM by chartz. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-11-2011 2:37 PM

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Beogram CD5500 transport noise

Hi,

My Beogram CD5500 works fine; however I find the transport a bit noisy (it goes shhh), more so than the later CDM4. My CDX is completely silent!

The noise diminishes as the CD progresses.

It reads everything I feed it, including 8X burnt CDs, and reads the TOC fast enough, but not instantly.

It is an early version with the white CDM2 and no captive audio lead. It sounds great.

Thanks.

Jacques

• 09-20-2011 6:03 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beogram CD5500 transport noise

Hi Jacques

Not sure what you mean about the noise, but if you want to get instant TOC, see the regulator mod on my Philips CDB650 article (section 6) on my website - www.condoraudio.com - exactly the same circuit boards.

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 09-20-2011 10:56 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Thanks Menahem. I had come across your mods!

Anyway, the mech softly sort of hisses with many CD's, while it will be silent with others (including CD-R's). This is the typical noise from these Philips CDM2-4 mechs, but amplified somehow. I was wondering whether the box resonance amplifies this problem, because it is barely audible with the box opened.

It won't read CDRW's at all, as my BG CD3300 will (almost) gladly do so. 

Jacques

• 09-20-2011 11:28 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

It sounds like the CD transport mechanism is not sitting correctly - when the cover is open, the pressure is removed, so it's quiet, and when the cover is open, it's pressuring a part of the mechanism, so it resonates.

Replace all the capacitors on that PCB - send me a pic of the pcb if you want a kit with the correct replacements.

Adjust the laser current to NOT 50mV as shown in the SM, but 45mV. RW's need a lower current to be read correctly. Do this only after cap replacement.

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 09-30-2011 4:06 PM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Hi,

I've replaced the 33µF on the servo board with a NOS blue Philips (my last one!), a 47µF 40V. Now noise is in good order!

While the Beogram was open, I replaced the two output caps with Nichicon Muse BP green caps. And I thought it sounded good!

It's amazing what something as trivial as that does to the sound... Now I suppose it sounds as it did when it was new!

Jacques

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)