in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-19-2011 4:15 PM by Larskoelle. 61 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (62 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-03-2011 10:45 PM

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

Isn't it time for a "new" Beolab 5?

Hello,

This is my first post here even that I am not an owner yet of any B&O products.

However, I am considering for purchase a set of Beolab 5.

What refrains me from buying the 5s is that the speakers were produced in 2003. That's 8 years ago!

Does any one know whether B&O is working on a replacement or planning an update?

Thank you

• 09-03-2011 11:54 PM In reply to

Re: Isn't it time for a "new" Beolab 5?

Isn't it time for a new liquid? 

Water has been around for billions of years. When will they come out with something wetter?

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-04-2011 12:15 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Welcome to BeoWorld!!

Even if there was a BeoLab 6, the BeoLab 5 would be worth having.

While the BeoLab 5 still exists, so does the BeoLab 9. Even with the 5 as the best in the world, people still buy the 9 independantly. Another example - while there is a Bugatti Veyron, people still buy Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Astons and so on. You get what I mean?

I hope the 5 isn't replaced, I hope we see another addition placed alongside the 5.

Gather your favorite CDs and Blue-Rays and have a listen!!

EDIT: Now I'm not saying the Lab 5 is average, or less than perfect - at all. It is arguably the best speaker on planet Earth. All I am trying to say is that even with a bigger more impressive speaker, the BeoLab 5 should always be considered.

Evan

• 09-04-2011 4:39 AM In reply to

B&O have always tended to keep models for some time and develop them. The 5 has not needed much developing!! I would be against the introducing of a replacement just because it was felt that a new model was needed because the old one had been around too long.

• 09-04-2011 7:55 AM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

Yes and It's coming. But not for a while...

• 09-04-2011 8:56 AM In reply to

It took 18 years for B&O to upgrade BeoLab 6000 and 8000...why should they be quicker with BeoLab 5?Big Smile

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 09-04-2011 9:47 AM In reply to

• hotknife
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-03-2008
    • Solingen/Germany
    • Posts 552
    • Bronze Member

Don`t think so.

Will the new speaker be a cash cow? Do not think so, because of the development costs.

Will there enough people, willing to buy such a speaker between BL9 and BL5 or above BL5? Not enough for the investment of B&O.

BeoVision 8-40, ATV2, BeoSound 4, Front BeoLab 9, Rear Beolab 4000 MKII, Beo 4

• 09-04-2011 12:30 PM In reply to

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

Well, I thought its not an unreasonable question, and at least I should have tried.

Take the water analogy of the first poster, it seems to me highly pretentious. You really think that the Beolab 5 is the and of all and that's it?! Water is not a man-created liquid, Sir!

Soon or later, if B&O have desire or need to a new pair of speakers they'll do it. I wouldn't like to spend that amount of money to find out the morning after that B&O lunched a new speaker.

I believe in evolving technology. I do also believe that in the audio world there is lots of non sense and crap. I don't like companies that upgrade their speakers every year claiming new discoveries and that's another reason why I am considering to get the BO5, which I thought they sounded great in my first and brief audition.

For what it matter, I didnt like the sales people at B&O store because they were telling me lies. As an example I asked them when these speakers were first made and they said "2007"... There it goes my trust in them.

Anyway, I thank you for all the replies.

• 09-04-2011 12:50 PM In reply to

I don't think B&O will update the BL5 anytime soon, nor will they make a better speaker anytime soon, so I recommend you go ahead and get yourself a pair... They are excellent!

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 09-04-2011 1:00 PM In reply to

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

I'm about to go to the store for one more audition and I'll bring my music CDs.

Just out of curiosity... Do B&O make their own drivers or are they off the shelves type?

Thanks again.
  • 09-04-2011 2:28 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

I'm pretty happy with my BeoLab 5's.  They dont really leave me wanting much more.

But that being said I'm considering purchasing a set of BeoLab 9's for the system in my living room.  Since I keep reading about all these "between BeoLab 5 and BeoLab 9" rumors I'm holding out to see what (if anything) gets announced.

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 09-04-2011 2:29 PM In reply to

Perfect!

2-3 years is about the time I need, especially if I start saving now!
  • 09-04-2011 2:52 PM In reply to

Drivers are not B&O made.

But that doesn't matter, as long as they do their job. 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 09-04-2011 3:17 PM In reply to

• Dennis
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Denmark
    • Posts 172
    • Gold Member

Bayerische is right - The drivers are not made by Bang & Olufsen - But they are produced after Bang & Olufsen specs. by other companies such as Foster, Tympany and Denon/Marantz. The 15" Beolab 5 driver is produced by Foster.

- Dennis

I was borned with a Beolink 1000 in my hand!

Ever seen a Beomaster 6001? I have one! Look here.

Main system: Beovision AV9000, Beocenter 2300, Beosystem 3500, Beolab Penta MKIII, Beolab 3000, Beogram 6500, Beolink 1000, Beolink 5000, Beolink 7000

Wish list: Beolab 2,

• 09-04-2011 4:54 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Loudspeaker:

The 15" Beolab 5 driver is produced by Foster.

I knew I recognized that woofer from somewhere!!

Evan

• 09-04-2011 5:13 PM In reply to

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

Ok, auditioned the BL5 again with not so good source material. We listened to palladia tv channel and I must say I was impressed. I could not hear distortion whatsoever. It was loud and clear.

The quality of the bass was superb for such a small speaker but I thought that the punch was a little too much ...or maybe because I am not used to it. However, I do live in an apartment building with sound proof installed in the walls. Until today I never had complain even with two subwoofers (JL) in my system.

Those BL5 worry me somewhat. The floor was vibrating a lot in the store. I am afraid that those 15" woofers facing down the floor could cause the same in my apt.

• 09-04-2011 5:42 PM In reply to

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

I don't recall where I read it, but some people were bashing B&O for using "cheap "Vifa" drivers. But I didn't think they were reliable sources.
  • 09-04-2011 9:05 PM In reply to

• BillC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-25-2007
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Hi Maab

Welcome!!!!

Your question is very reasonable, I too wouldn't be happy buying such an expensive speaker and find out B&O launching a replacement soon after. That being said B&O takes quite a while updating their range and speaker technology (unlike video) doesn't move significantly

BTW I was very very very close to buying a pair of BL 5 years ago. The only thing that stopped me was the lack of space..... Its been one of my biggest purchasing regret - years on, marriage and a child later, the BL 5 are going to have wait for quite a few more years (the kid's education fund comes first) and thats assuming I manage to get my wife to like it (she hates its look)

• 09-05-2011 4:16 AM In reply to

I live in an apartment building, and I know of another BL5 owner who does too.

I guess it depends on your neighbors... If they are over sensitive, sure they might complain. Me, I have never had a complaint, and I play them pretty loud.

-Andreas

• 09-05-2011 6:00 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Maab:

Tose BL5 worry me somewhat. The floor was vibrating a lot in the store.
    I am afraid that those 15" woofers facing down the floor could cause the same in my apt.

@The floor was vibrating a lot in the store.
    This largely depends on the construction of the floor - material, constructional details (suspension), ...

One of the biggest advantages of a real "FULL RAGE" speaker like the BLb5s is:

In a quiet environement you can listen to them at low volume levels and still having a "rich" sound,
    small speakers deliver a "rich" listening experience on much at higher volume levels ...

• 09-05-2011 6:51 AM In reply to

Hi bayerische,

it not only depends on the neighboors, but also on wife, my wife also hates the look of Beolab 5, so I'm not allowed to buy them (without changing wife).

/Räuber
  • 09-05-2011 6:51 AM In reply to

bayerische:

I live in an apartment building, and I know of another BL5 owner who does too.

I guess it depends on your neighbors... If they are over sensitive, sure they might complain. Me, I have never had a complaint, and I play them pretty loud.

Yes I have Beolab 5's and live in an apartment too. I live on the topfloor and now complaints from the neighbours below so far. But there is about 30 centimeters of concrete between us. Smile

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 09-05-2011 6:53 AM In reply to

Raeuber:
    Hi bayerische,

it not only depends on the neighboors, but also on wife, my wife also hates the look of Beolab 5, so I'm not allowed to buy them (without changing wife).

/Räuber

That's probably why I'm single. Big Smile

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 09-05-2011 7:23 AM In reply to

beocool:

Raeuber:
    Hi bayerische,

/Räuber

That's probably why I'm single. Big Smile

Laughing

Can't say my wife loves mine, but mine are white, and that always helps.... Big Smile

-Andreas

• 09-05-2011 7:36 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

Welcome to BeoWorld!

Sure, BL5 will be replaced one day and guessing when this will happen is difficult. There are some "issues" with the BL5 that they could address, like the fact that it is not too happy with a corner placement compared to sitting approx 1m away from a wall (no corners close by). I have had them since they were introduced, and I recently moved them from their dedicated corners of the living room to a 10 meter long wall away from any corners and placed them approx 50-60 cm out on the floor. It was a religious experience to listen to my fav cd's with this new placement. Damn, they are good - best thing I ever bought from B&O.

B&O are at the early stages of development of a new top-of-the-line speaker, which is rumoured to move a lot more air than the current BL5... but having waited for the new ALT speaker to sit between the BL3 and 9 for about 2 years, well, I wouldn't sit around and wait for the "new" BL5.

My recommendation: if you were looking for a speaker in between the BL3 and 9 you could wait, but if you are looking for something like the BL5 - just go for it. Now.

Roger

Page 1 of 3 (62 items) 1 2 3 Next >