in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-12-2007 4:14 AM by Dave. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-07-2007 1:58 AM

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

I think the BV 7-40 is a little bit dark!

Does anyone have some info how i can increase the lightning on the BV 7-40:s service menu? I have tuned up the brightness and contrast, but i feel its to dark anyways...!

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 07-07-2007 8:18 AM In reply to

Re: I think the BV 7-40 is a little bit dark!

Do you miss some details in black parts?

If that is the case, that cannot be solved beause that is limited to the contrast ratio of the used panel.

• 07-07-2007 9:01 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I think BeoLab means it's too dark... Confused

It's entirely possible there's something wrong with the set. I've seen a BeoVision 7-32 which is intermittently dark, possible yours is suffering from the same issue except it's constant?

Either that, or you haven't yet got used to 'that B&O picture', which is sometimes darker than other sets, but usually more natural...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-07-2007 10:28 AM In reply to

• TEL
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Berks U K
    • Posts 92
    • Founder

I also find the picture dark especially when I first turn the set on, seems it needs sometime to adapt to the room.

The sets at the dealers have brightness/contrast and colour at mid settings, which on mine is too dark and too much colour, I set brightness/contrast +3-4 levels and colour down 3-4 and it helps, though looking at the picture from the side it is bright compared to head-on.

The dealer brought another set and picture seemed fine on Narnia dvd (battle scene), then returned to my set and picture was the same - so we live with it and I find I often adjust picture during the evening or dependant on program. We have NTL oops I mean Virgin cable and usually use analog 1-5, as digital channels often need format 3 to see complete text on commercials etc.

As Alex says - perhaps I need to get use to B&O picture. - or is plasma better ? 

TEL
  • 07-07-2007 10:33 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Plasma is definitely better, but it's not as 'smart' as LCD, it's MUCH more fragile.

LCD panels take time to warm up, as you say. It's only a few minutes, and the same thing can be seen on all LCDs.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-07-2007 2:35 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Beolab:

Does anyone have some info how i can increase the lightning on the BV 7-40:s service menu? I have tuned up the brightness and contrast, but i feel its to dark anyways...!

If you think your BV7-40 is dark, you should see my old MK-1 BV7-32! Some DVDs, for example, are so bad that they are almost unviewable (The Da Vinci Code is a good example).

It's definitely the panel. My dealer kindly lent me a MK-III BV7-32 when my TV was in for long-term repair, over Xmas. It was much brighter, better contrast and the screen was less 'gloomy' in appearance. As soon as I received my old MK-1 BV7-32 back from repair, I noticed a huge difference.

Apparently the new BV7-40, launched in the US this month, is significantly better and nearly on a par with the BV9. If that's the case, I'm certainly upgrading my old BV7-32 when the new BV7 is launched here in the UK, later this year.

To answer your question - there's little you can do to change your current TV. It's the LCD panel, sadly. I'm assuming you have one of the first revision BV7-40's?

• 07-07-2007 7:25 PM In reply to

The sad thing is that you pay $10000 for a TV set that has worse pic quality than sets that cost $2000...

I had mine for a week, and sold it as fast as possible. 

• 07-07-2007 8:05 PM In reply to

After you power on it  takes 15 min. before the back lights is on 90% light, don't know have long it's takes before it's at 100%.

but for the first 15 min it will be very dark in daylight, and if the room light doesn't hit the TV light sensor.

• 07-08-2007 1:36 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    Beolab:

If you think your BV7-40 is dark, you should see my old MK-1 BV7-32! Some DVDs, for example, are so bad that they are almost unviewable (The Da Vinci Code is a good example).

It's definitely the panel. My dealer kindly lent me a MK-III BV7-32 when my TV was in for long-term repair, over Xmas. It was much brighter, better contrast and the screen was less 'gloomy' in appearance. As soon as I received my old MK-1 BV7-32 back from repair, I noticed a huge difference.

Apparently the new BV7-40, launched in the US this month, is significantly better and nearly on a par with the BV9. If that's the case, I'm certainly upgrading my old BV7-32 when the new BV7 is launched here in the UK, later this year.

To answer your question - there's little you can do to change your current TV. It's the LCD panel, sadly. I'm assuming you have one of the first revision BV7-40's?

HEHE i purchased my BV 7-40 MK II Last week and it is the latest firmware: TYPE No: 9361 = AP SW 7.5

Does anyone have the pin-code to the real service menu for the BV 7-40?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

BL8000 MkII Black

• 07-08-2007 4:48 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Ha! After 3 hours watching my BV 7-40( MK II) are much brighter in every part in the picture! I noticed it when i looked at a Lost episode (DVD) and the scene where dark and had poor colors and like a bright  filter layed on top of that.  But now when i rewind after 3 hours the picture is much more magnificent and brighter over all ! Not far away from perfect "HDlike" picture with DVD i think..=)

(Note: The TV have just been turned on for about 5 hours total)

BL8000 MkII Black

• 07-08-2007 5:47 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I'd give it a few weeks of use just to settle down, and then if it still takes that long to warm up, talk to your dealer. It really shouldn't need hours to warm up, only a matter of minutes at most...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-08-2007 8:11 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

Some SAT and Cable boxes will give a darker signal when configured to use RGB-Scart. Try removing the RGB-setting and see if the signal "brightens up". If this is the case, then there is nothing wrong with the panel.

Roger

• 07-08-2007 12:11 PM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Roger:

Some SAT and Cable boxes will give a darker signal when configured to use RGB-Scart. Try removing the RGB-setting and see if the signal "brightens up". If this is the case, then there is nothing wrong with the panel.

Roger

This is on DVD not external signals.

BL8000 MkII Black

• 07-08-2007 12:46 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Beolab:

This is on DVD not external signals.

One thing I forgot to mention is that my gloomy picture particularly applies to the internal DVD player. If I watch the same movie on Sky HD or BBC HD, the picture is sharper and brighter than the same movie played through the DVD player. 

• 07-08-2007 6:14 PM In reply to

Hello there:

Are you referring to the new BV 7 or the previous model?

Thanks,

Dario
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 07-08-2007 6:22 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

We're talking UK here, so it's the older BeoVision 7, completely different from the US one internally. We don't have the new special one at all yet...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-08-2007 6:54 PM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

As a test: If you watch the BV7 at night, start with all the lights on in the room at full brightness. If you have dimmers and lower the brightness of the room the BV7 can take a while to sort out its automatic process. I'd even say it gets it wrong.

You can do the same test in total darkness...

Beoaus.

PS: There is a backlit option which can be turned off which may help.

• 07-09-2007 1:29 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

beoaus:

As a test: If you watch the BV7 at night, start with all the lights on in the room at full brightness. If you have dimmers and lower the brightness of the room the BV7 can take a while to sort out its automatic process. I'd even say it gets it wrong.

You can do the same test in total darkness...

Beoaus.

PS: There is a backlit option which can be turned off which may help.

Hello!  I have no turned off the adaptiv backlight but i cant see any diffrence in the picture at all.

But under Scaler menu 1 current values: it says that the Backlight are at 67 of 100 so its not att full power.

Can anyone else go in and see what it says on their BV 7.40?

(menu 00 go)

PS:  Where can i find the sharpening option in the service menu??

BL8000 MkII Black

• 07-09-2007 4:09 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Try shining a torch directly into the sensor on the right hand side, it can be more difficult to see if all the lights are on, as the room you're comparing the display against is also brighter! If you see no increase in brightness when you shine the torch into the sensor, then something's gone wrong and you need to speak to your dealer!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-09-2007 8:41 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

My menu is different. I am running the 40-L01 panel though it does have the HD option.

Its reasonable in medium light to have the brightness up 3 from its default setting. If your eyes are sharp you should notice a difference. My movie mode is set to AUTO and thats about it for my settings. Can you adjust the backlight, mine is simply on or off.

No idea what the sharpening option is sorry.

Beoaus

• 07-09-2007 4:54 PM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

BV 7-40 Org: Scaler menu 1.

Brightness: 16

Color: 23

contrast: 47

Scaler contrast: 136

(Backlight: 65%)

New tweak settings:

Brightness: 17

Color: 24

contrast: 55

Scaler contrast: 136

Newest:

Brightness: 16

Color: 23

contrast: 75

Scaler contrast: 153

Test this settings if you got a BV 7-40 MK II. It will turn up the current backlight to 87% of full power!

The picture are mad now!

So for does ho say the BV 7-40 cant be any better in performance because the panel limit and because it old and poor blablabla...., have totally wrong here!.. Do your homework  before u wright some jealous  bull **** next time in the forum thanks !

Regards Fredrik L

BL8000 MkII Black

• 07-10-2007 8:20 AM In reply to

Hi, Fredrik! What settings is the best for the picture of these three settings you describe?

Regards
    Martin

Sweden

Beolab 5 with sw 3.0,  BV7-55 3D without Bluray(MK II), Beolab 7-4, Beolab 4000 MKII, Beolab 3500, Beovox CX100, Beosound 9000 mkIII, Cabinett 2054, Beo4 MKII, Oppo BDP-93 Blurayplayer (B&O-version)

• 07-10-2007 10:49 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Paradise [ip] Re: I think the BV 7-40 is a little bit dark!

Beolab:
    Do your homework  before u wright some jealous  bull **** next time in the forum tanks!

Regards Fredrik L

calm down son, this is a friendly community!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 07-10-2007 11:41 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Beolab:

So for does ho say the BV 7-40 cant be any better in performance because the panel limit and because it old and poor blablabla...., have totally wrong here!.. Do your homework  before u wright some jealous  bull **** next time in the forum tanks!

1) You started the topic and we answered to the best of our ability. You shouldn't really be changing the settings within the Service menu, nor encouraging other people to change these settings. I was told by my dealer that the supplied warranty doesn't allow for the end-user to make changes within the Service menu.

2) The fact that you've fixed your own problem should be commended, but do not start a topic, ask a genuine question than slam us for not providing you with an immediate answer to your question!

• 07-10-2007 8:53 PM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

ClausOslo:

The sad thing is that you pay $10000 for a TV set that has worse pic quality than sets that cost $2000...

I had mine for a week, and sold it as fast as possible. 

I'm just little tired of hearing that the old BV 7-40 MKII are rubbish, and the new one MKIII is the best and more and more.

Thats all.

Best regards Fredrik L.

BL8000 MkII Black

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >