in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-15-2012 3:45 PM by mbee. 255 replies.
Page 8 of 11 (256 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-02-2011 12:35 AM In reply to

Re: Beosound 5 Encore is here...

Hi readers

This forum part is pointless and is going nowhere. As I said before. There are some over here who wants Apple to dominate and almost claim Apple to be the standard. There are some who are more indifferent or some see there is more then just Apple.

But makes this a B&o product less? B&o and others shouldn't follow Apple blindly. Maybe they should (and have) touch a part of the Apple addepts for commercial reasosns. But still makes this a B&o product less? 

This doesn't means you can't be critical on B&o products. But in the end it is as it is. So it is up to you readers if it worth buying or not!

This whole discussion though is turning around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around againaround and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again around and around and around again

• 08-07-2011 6:11 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

I'm still strugling to get the Encore to be honest. It streams media(only music!!!!!!!!!!) and stores it. It can also stream internet radio.

I'm trying not to mention the A word so i won't, but my I....e does that. I'm listening to some recently bought cd's thorugh my 7-40 mk3 which is connected to some nifty speakers. Could i just not connect my phone to the Aux port on the TV, and hey presto digital music streaming and internet radio? If the Beosound 8 could connect via Masterlink i could do it that way, and have my music in the kitchen aswell(thinking about a Beolab 2000).

If i could store and play movies in Blu Ray quality through the 5 then that would make things alot more relevent to me to be honest. Maybe thats because i'm playing through the 7, but isn't B&O ment to be about less boxes and complete connectivity? I don't want a Blu Ray player bolted on the back of the TV, and although tempting i cannot warrant spending £900 on a Blu Ray upgrade.

This should have been the complete home enterntainment system. Music, Radio and Video. Not the Encore, but the BRAVO.

Could i use the Beoplayer App through a Masterlink gateway wirelessly?

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 08-07-2011 9:25 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Chris:

I'm still strugling to get the Encore to be honest. It streams media(only music!!!!!!!!!!) and stores it. 

It doesn't store it. The Encore simply streams music from various sources.

I had a good look at the Encore yesterday. I still don't like the Beosound 5 UI. The build quality is superb, as always, but the UI isn't great. It could have easily been touchscreen! No reason why you need three controls on the unit. Touchscreen has been the way forward for these kind of devices for three years now.

I'm less likely to get an Encore. I'm talking myself out of it. It's more likely to be an Beosound 8 + my iPad than the Encore.

• 08-07-2011 11:11 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:

It could have easily been touchscreen!

Big Smile ... if you prefer a "smudgy look" a touchscreen will be perfect ...

moxxey:

No reason why you need three controls on the unit.

The reason is - avoiding a smeared display!

• 08-07-2011 11:22 AM In reply to

I am so glad I am not one of the poor souls in Struer trying to please you lot with new products.

Thread after thread talks about the B&O magic, engaging interfaces, magic etc etc.  The you get....

moxxey:

A big part of what makes B&O B&O, is that they don't just do what everyone else does for the sake of following a trend.  BS5 has the benefit of a nice big hi res screen to display your information, and the experience of utilising machined and seriously engineered mechanical wheel to navigate.  That's what makes it an experience above and beyond something made by another manufacturer.

I don't know what % of the price is made up by the R&D and building of the wheels, but I'd guess it's significant.  Take them away and use a touch screen and the product would be cheaper, but would have no B&O magic.

If you just want run of the mill and the latest "must have" then B&O is not the brand for you.  Apple and many others make souless touchscreens that will allow you to navigate your music if that's all you are interested in.

• 08-07-2011 11:34 AM In reply to

rednik:

moxxey:

A big part of what makes B&O B&O, is that they don't just do what everyone else does for the sake of following a trend.  BS5 has the benefit of a nice big hi res screen to display your information, and the experience of utilising machined and seriously engineered mechanical wheel to navigate.  That's what makes it an experience above and beyond something made by another manufacturer.

Agree with that. Touchscreen is fun and nice for a phone, but on a bigger screen it became ugly with all the finger print everywhere. Maybe some people like to have a 10" screen full of finger print, but I assume that B&O did their research ;)

Plus the fact that the wheel on the BS5 are really intuitive. Well, for me at least.

• 08-07-2011 1:47 PM In reply to

I agree completely with the favorable comments here. I find my Beosound 5 to be a wonderful product with a wonderful user interface. If I am in the mood for a touchpad covered with fingerprints I can use my iPad to control it. Some people , however, will never be happy with a B and O product.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 08-07-2011 3:24 PM In reply to

Actually I think the wheels are not that intuitive either. I think an interface using the touch sensitive aluminium would have been far more in keeping with B&O technology. By all means make a wheel shape, but make it work by touch alone. And use the patented translucent aluminium technolgy as a feedback medium. I do agree about smudged glass though - I am a bit neurotic about fingerprints!!

• 08-07-2011 3:48 PM In reply to

Peter :

Actually I think the wheels are not that intuitive either. I think an interface using the touch sensitive aluminium would have been far more in keeping with B&O technology. By all means make a wheel shape, but make it work by touch alone. And use the patented translucent aluminium technolgy as a feedback medium. I do agree about smudged glass though - I am a bit neurotic about fingerprints!!

OK - That sounds neat.

What do you imagine the people who are already complaining that its costs 5 times the price of an iPad would have to say about the cost of that little beauty.

Seriously, I don't see how they are ever supposed to please some people on here.  It has to be better than apple, have every bit of tech ever imagined, be made of materials not yet seen in real world products, be small and neat, no cables, ahead of it's time, 100% reliable, made in small enough numbers to remain exclusive, never break, come with the back up and support of a dealer network, and not cost too much.

Sounds easy.  I don't know why more people aren't setting companies up in competition if it's so straightforward to get right!

• 08-07-2011 4:06 PM In reply to

I agree with Peter on this.  I remember the MAGIC of the touch sensitive design of my Grandad's BeoMaster 1900 way back from 1979!!! It's a shame that B&O didn't do more with that as I thought it was really magical and years ahead of its time.

Maybe i'm not keen on their hifi nowadays but that BeoVision 10 has really got me - What a beauty  it reminds me of that artistes work that always crops up in the movies (Prime and the new 'Unlimited' film).  I don't think i will ever tire of the BV10  to me it's perfect especially with that orange speaker grille. I could never afford one but hey...

• 08-07-2011 5:19 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

rednik:

A big part of what makes B&O B&O, is that they don't just do what everyone else does for the sake of following a trend. 

It's a trend for a good reason!

The 3 wheel approach is ok. I'm not knocking it, but it takes some getting used to (and find that it's really easy to get the selection wrong). I'd rather just use the LCD screen, personally. I don't see why I need to use a level to position a laser beam on a menu selection.

What I find funny about this forum is that we talk between us as if we're somehow anti-B&O. I own more B&O kit than many people, but some people (see above) who own the kit you are critising, take it really personally. They only thing I've not grown to adore is the Beosound 5. I owned one for two months and there were reasons why I couldn't click with it. The Encore has reminded me of some of these concerns and introduced a few others.

• 08-07-2011 5:22 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Peter :

Actually I think the wheels are not that intuitive either.

I like the wheel and the volume control is fine, but that lever is one device too many (for me). I find it slightly tricky to position it correctly, when it should never be tricky to use. I don't see why I need a lever to choose a menu option.

I *want* to love the Encore, like I love my Besound 4, my Beocom 5, my BL3s etc etc. Razlaw, you may be shocked to find you can love some B&O products, but not every product. I noted your comment.

• 08-07-2011 5:27 PM In reply to

moxxey:
    What I find funny about this forum is that we talk between us as if we're somehow anti-B&O. I own more B&O kit than most people.

What I find funny about this forum is that it is a resource for people to fnd information and the B&O brand and products, I assume it's frequented by a mixture of people who love the brand, and people researching a potential purchase who stumble accross it after googling the product they have an interest in.

I can't imagine, bearing in mind what many post, that many of the second type of person listed above then revisit their dealer for a further demo or information.

I'm not sure how hat benefits anyone since your statement above seems to suggest you love the brand if you've purchased so many products.  I'm not sure your postings on here help the future sales for the company, and so the R&D spend, development, PR image etc etc.

• 08-07-2011 5:33 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

rednik:
    I'm not sure your postings on here help the future sales for the company, and so the R&D spend, development, PR image etc etc.

Oh, I didn't realise that only positive posts on this board will determine the future success of the company. Silly me. I somehow assumed my other B&O purchases may go some distance to help R&D spend and so on. It's not my - or any other forum users - job or role to be an advocate for all things B&O. Do you know how much hassle they've given me through their software issues over the last 3 years? Many people will have walked away a long time ago. I'm still here. Still buying. Still promoting the brand.

This board is for enthusiasts. People can make their own mind up. If someone wants to spend £2500 on an Encore without any feedback, then fair enough. I'm fairly confident any (potential) B&O customer can walk in to a B&O store and decide if the Encore is for them or not, whether they read this forum or not. We're not here to make their sales decision for them.

• 08-07-2011 5:48 PM In reply to

This site exists for people interested in B&O. The official site serves as a marketing tool - this one allows for discussion and criticism. Criticism is not bad - B&O appreciate reasoned debate and I think this site gives it. If all that is said is how wonderful everything is, I am sure B&O would never bother looking. However criticism from owners can be very instructive. It allows designers to consider problems from a consumer stand point. Obviously some remarks will be of little interest - 'please can we have a B&O TV for £500' is never going to influence Struer, but remarks about operating products and ideas on new products that people would like to see are always going to interest a marketing department.

I too have owned a considerable quantity of B&O, mostly older equipment though I do have new bits as my main system. Some pieces I think are wonderful but some less so. I am convinced that an honest report of a product is of far more value that a simple statement that it is fantastic. All products tend to have compromises and companies know this. As consumers, sometimes these compromises are important to us and sometimes they are not. R&D departments want to know how such compromises affect consumers so I feel BeoWorld should continue to offer constructive criticism rather than sycophancy.

• 08-07-2011 6:45 PM In reply to

Depsite my best efforts, members continue to exercise free will. It's a constant source of frustration. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 08-07-2011 7:58 PM In reply to

I typically post opinions and thoughts. I try to avoid engaging in personal responses with those who have differing views. However I must make an exception and respond to Moxxey, as he seems to have an insatiable need to respond directly to my post in a personal way, having called me daft and naive in an earlier post. His most recent response to my posts is typical Moxxey. Respond to something I did not even say and accuse me of saying it. Moxxey please take the time to actually read my posts and comprehend them if you are compelled to respond. If you do so it will save you from attributing ideas and opinions to me that I neither hold nor expressed.

The fact that I said Some people will never be happy does not equate to saying there are not people who like some products while disliking some products as you apparently think. What it means is, to state the obvious Moxxey, some people will never be happy with B and O, some will always be happy with B and O, and some will be in between the two extremes. Responding futher to you previous post, in which you once again stated the obvious, and misinterpreted what I said. I never said one should choose between Apple and B and O. I said if you like one buy it, if you like the other, buy it. I for one, likeand buy both Apple and B and O. How you interpreted that in such a way as to prompt you to post that I was daft for not knowing that Apple does not make music systems and TVs is something that defys logic and common sense.

• 08-08-2011 3:12 AM In reply to

If all was green in B&O universe, this thread would have lasted only one page...Stick out tongue

If all was green with BeoSound 5, Struer would never have launched the Encore..

And if no one was complaining about scratched & bulky records, CDs would never have been invented..!Smile

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 08-08-2011 4:42 AM In reply to

Chrisreunion:

If all was green in B&O universe, this thread would have lasted only one page...Stick out tongue

If all was green with BeoSound 5, Struer would never have launched the Encore..

And if no one was complaining about scratched & bulky records, CDs would never have been invented..!Smile

and the apple plays a doubtfull roll since Adam and Eve.Ick!

• 08-08-2011 6:30 AM In reply to

Apple must be doing something right.

2nd biggest company in the world despite having similar marketshare in the computing world to bno in the a/v sphere.

Bno need to up their game , simple as that. Do they even have an R&D division ? As for their software guys - maybe they need an upgrade.

Relying on the same old stuff like the beloab 6000's/8000's , the beosound 9000 etc , the bv7 - some of it designed almost 20 - years ago says it all about the lethargic glacier like progress of this company.

• 08-08-2011 9:04 AM In reply to

A quick Google search shows Apple to have about a 10% market share in computers, and about 19% in smart phones. Does B and O have a 10-20% market share? They certainly do not seem to have anything near that here in the US but maybe worldwide they do? Just curious what their market share is.

• 08-08-2011 9:16 AM In reply to

IMHO extremely small marketshare...

But your post and some from others lead to a reflexion... Why people almost always compare B&O and Apple? It's like comparing Volkswagen (not so bad car, they are tready) and Ferrari...

Well, just my thought ;)

• 08-08-2011 9:28 AM In reply to

Sergi0, I agree completely with you. That is why I posted the question I did, in an effort to point out that the market shares are not the same, just one of the many differences between the two. I buy Apple products and think they are wonderful. I buy B and O and think they are wonderful. But they are two completely different companies. I wonder if there is a Bose forum where people constantly compare Bose to Dell or some other PC manufacturer, cell phone manufacturer, or music service?

• 08-08-2011 9:35 AM In reply to

By what measure is Apple the second biggest company in the world? I just looked at a list of the 500 largest companies online and Apple was 111th.

• 08-08-2011 9:37 AM In reply to

Just realized Apple is 111th largest US company. Maybe they are 2nd in the world?

Page 8 of 11 (256 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last »