in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-15-2012 3:45 PM by mbee. 255 replies.
Page 3 of 11 (256 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-22-2011 8:00 AM In reply to

Re: Beosound 5 Encore is here...

I don't think that it is because we are all 'Apple worshippers' it is simply because iTunes is the World's largest and most popular music store and will continue to be so. It is THE way that music is bought these days and used. It has been like this for over 10 years now, it's not an over night sensation!

It's all too easy to tease Apple users however, the brand is the industry standard for the teens to 30 plus age and ignoring this is suicidal for a company. Simply relying on existing play safe customers just won't allow long term safety - explains why B&O has practically gone under so many times since the 1980s!

I really don't know what to say. Nice TVs, nice speakers but hifi wise i'm horrified and simply wouldn't waste my money.  After being burnt by the total rubbish of my DVD1 player which cost me a lot of saving up for, i'll be staying well clear as I'm sure in a few years to come they'll be making apologies for such lausy out of date boxes. Really not good enough!

• 07-22-2011 8:08 AM In reply to

I have a Macbook Pro, iMac, iTouch, iPad, and iPhone. So I obviously like Apple. I have Beoport connected to iMac and the Masterlink and have used it to listen to music. I also have Apple TV and have used it to listen to music.

Recently I purchased a Beosound 5. I actually investigated and learned what the 5 would and would not do before purchasing it. I did this so I would know what I was getting.

The 5 is wonderful. I have not turned Beoport or Apple TV on for music once since getting the Beosound 5.

The interface on the 5 is wonderful and easy to use. I can also turn it on from my iPad and adjust the volume and select the track I want.

The latest software update says that music can be played wirelessly form an iPhone or Android on the 5. What more do I need?

I am sure many here will be upset that B and O had the nerve to support Android and not just Apple.

As for cost, if the cost is too much for a product for what it is and does, don't buy it. There are even people out there who think iPhones and Macs are overpriced for what they do.

This forum has turned in to a why Apple is great and everybody else should do things the Apple way. Can somebody direct me to the forum for people who enjoy B and O?

Personally, I do not like BMWs, but I do not spend my time posting on BMW forums how much better Audis and Jaguars are and complaining that BMW can't do things the Audi or Jaguar way.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 07-22-2011 8:12 AM In reply to

• shl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-18-2008
    • Posts 17
    • Bronze Member

I just want a premium product that; 1. Actually is premium (like the beolab 5 speakers) 2. Plays well with the rest of the world.

There is no good reason for b&o to try to be Apple or any other brand, just stick to what you are good at and use it in a good way.

• 07-22-2011 8:38 AM In reply to

BS 1, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2,  BS 2, BS 3, 2x Beo 4, BS 5, BM 5, BL 5,Beo 6, BS 6, 2x A8, BV 8-40, BL 8000, 3x A9 Keyring, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400

• 07-22-2011 9:26 AM In reply to

Did you saw the last video on B&O website?

They say, if I good understand, that's possible to stream music from and to a smartphone or ipad !

Check it here : http://www.bang-olufsen.com/beosound5

Shinobi52

• 07-22-2011 9:31 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

1. The BS5 (Encore) seems to work well with iTunes-purchased music (there is no ALAC on the iTunes Store). So I can't understand people complaining that this is not Apple compatible.

2. The BS5 (Encore) is advertised with Airplay, but with an Airport Express. Here I can't understand B&O for making such a promotion for Apple technology without actually buiding it inside its product. Airplay is an Algorithm, not a piece of hardware. We can see Airplay as a wireless Aux input which works only with Apple products. That would have been great to have that, just as it's great to have DLNA for this purpose with other devices (NAS, Android...) If B&O made the choice to avoid Airplay, they could have avoided this kind of advertising.

3. The BS5 (Encore) has a physical HMI on it, with big wheels and a screen. That's an interesting choice, as it shows that B&O has made the conservatory choice of still giving a "materiality" to its audio product. If you just want to control everything with a remote/tablet/phone, you can just buy a BM5 (without BS5), or an Apple TV, or an Airport Express, or a Sonos, it will work as well (you loose HD tracks support and MOTS with the 3 last systems).

4. The BS5 (and Encore, I hope) can be controlled in 2-ways with the Beo6. That's cool. But that's not sufficient today. We heard that B&O is working on an app to control that. The idea is excellent, not because it's great to control everything with your phone (it's not, believe me), but because adding a BS5 software for iPad/Galaxy Tab/Other will allow us to get a DIFFERENT experience of the BS5 (at least I hope so). For instance, it could allow to make a keyboard search among tracks. It could also allow to send tracks/albums visually in different rooms (multiple BS5) just like we do on a Sonos system.

So the BS5 (Encore) has a great potential to be a leading system. People hypnotised by Apple marketing (I own an iMac+Macbook+iPhone+iPad so I could have been hypnotised...) won't understand that untill they don't understand that Apple+B&O can be complementary. At the other end of the scope, people who doesn't want the support of Airplay miss the point as it's just like an other Aux input (as I said before).

• 07-22-2011 10:06 AM In reply to

I have had the Beosound 5 for over 2 years.  In fact I bought the first one at my local B&O store.  At first I was a little disappointed but in time as the software was updated, I have come to love it.  Just like many in this forum, I have an expensive setup.   I want the best sound possible and I want the total B&O experience.  The Beosound 5 delivers that.  It is extremely well engineered.  The look and feel is wonderful.  I like the interface, the wheels and dials and most of all the display.  The Beosound 5 has a superior DAC when compared to previous B&O music players

I am also an early adopter of most Apple products in the last 10 years.  Yes iTunes is really nice but it is bloated.  Apple uses iTunes to sell not only music but also movies, books, periodicals and more.  When iTunes was first introduced, I was really impressed and agreed that iTunes music downloads was indeed the future.  It is still the future but 256 kbps is not good enough for those who want CD sound quality.  I have returned to buying CDs.  For music I put on the BS 5, I rip in FLAC format and then into iTunes at 256 kpbs for listening on iPod and iPhone listening.  I am also anticipating the forcoming iCloud service.  I should add that my most recent download of music was from HDtracks in the FLAC format.  I haven't bought any music from iTunes in over 6 months.

As for Apple's history, remember that since 1984, Apple almost went out of business several times.  Also they produced some machines that were terrible.  I am still annoyed about the 20th Anniversay Mac which was the worst PC I have ever owned.  Okay you can argue that since Steve arrived, things are better.  Yes they are better but Steve also had a loser in the cube Mac.

B&O would llike to sell to everyone that can afford their product and yes that includes people over 30 who actually have most of the purchasing power. It does appear B&O is trying to sell to people who still have CDs.  If that is their only buyers, they have a winner.  The new product category is primarily aimed at the iTunes generation.  I really like the Beosound 8 but haven't figured out a justification to buy it.

Razlaw, I am thinking about buying a new car.  How about an Audi A7?

Bill

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 07-22-2011 10:11 AM In reply to

As Shinobi52 noted, it is possible to stream between the Beosound 5 and a phone or iPad. It says so right in the Beosound 5 if one looks at the notes about the latest software release. There is a picture of it in another thread.

• 07-22-2011 10:13 AM In reply to

We have developed an alternative solution on beodesign.org: B&O's ouverture/beosound system with integegrated iphone/ipod touch. iPhone's coverFlow is still active, you can control everything via Beo4 (net.music compatible), covers will be updated in realtime - so it is similar to the beosound 5 encore form the user prospecitve: a beautiful solution to seamless integrate your iphone in your B&O setting.

ouverture iphone dock

• 07-22-2011 10:23 AM In reply to

Razlaw:
    As Shinobi52 noted, it is possible to stream between the Beosound 5 and a phone or iPad. It says so right in the Beosound 5 if one looks at the notes about the latest software release. There is a picture of it in another thread.

Jaff

You can do that but it appears you need an Airport Express audio minijac connected to the Beosound 5 .  You can then use Airplay through A.AUX.  I would love to be wrong about that but Beosound 5 does not support Airplay

Bill

• 07-22-2011 10:45 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:
    The 5 is wonderful. 

I used to own the Beosound 5/Master, kept it for two months, then sold it. Didn't like the cables, didn't like the flacky Master, didn't like the expense and didn't like the Besound 5 UI (although I could live with that).

Did I mention it was very expensive? I might have forgotten that. Nearly $8000?

Razlaw:
    This forum has turned in to a why Apple is great and everybody else should do things the Apple way. Can somebody direct me to the forum for people who enjoy B and O?

Razlaw, think this through. A lot of the things Apple do is great. Also, it's B&O that are pushing the Apple/iTunes integration, the AirPlay/Express support and so on. It's in their adverts. 

On top of that, a forum can discuss other brands and integration. There's absolutely no reason why every discussion has to be 100% B&O.

• 07-22-2011 10:51 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Just back from my dealer and had a quick look at the (yet to be connected) Encore. One thing tha disappointed me was that the aux/line in is on the front of the Encore, which means the cable from an Airport Express would hang out the front of the device.

I'll wait and see how it is when it's connected up next week and make a decision then. As I've said before, I'd quite like an Encore - it's much better value than the Sound/Master combo which is totally over priced (you're paying a premium for a B&O PC) and, in theory at least, it should enable us to link to our existing music, rather than transfer everthing to a new PC.

• 07-22-2011 11:08 AM In reply to

• shl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-18-2008
    • Posts 17
    • Bronze Member

that sounds horrific, very not b&o!

• 07-22-2011 11:26 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

Aux in the front??? They forgot to put an ugly aux cable in their Airport/Encore setup!! Hope you mistake the aux in with the headphone out...

@linder : you have 2 solutions to get music from an iPhone to BS5 wirelessly :

1. run a DLNA app on the iPhone. Then the iPhone music appears as a library in the BS5. (works for music, not for apps)

2. connect an Airport Express to the Aux in, and use Airplay (works for music and apps, but with the poor Airport DAC if you don't add an external DAC, but that is not a solution...)

• 07-22-2011 11:36 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

mbee:

Aux in the front??? 

Yes, the Aux is next to a USB socket connected on the front of the Encore,  under the screen. I think these, plus the headphones socket, are designed for "temporary" connections.

Problem is that my Airport Express is perma-connected to my Beosound 4, I don't want the cable connected to the front, I want it hidden through the stand or down the back, hidden away.

• 07-22-2011 11:50 AM In reply to

mbee:

@linder : you have 2 solutions to get music from an iPhone to BS5 wirelessly :

1. run a DLNA app on the iPhone. Then the iPhone music appears as a library in the BS5. (works for music, not for apps)

2. connect an Airport Express to the Aux in, and use Airplay (works for music and apps, but with the poor Airport DAC if you don't add an external DAC, but that is not a solution...)

Thanks.  I have been trying all the DLNA apps suggested and have been very impressed.  I hope B&O has apps like this available soon.  I am already using the bridge setup in the Airport express to connect my Beomaster 5 to my wireless network.  I did notice some latency when my iPhone is transmitting to BM5.  I think I need a newer Airport express.

• 07-22-2011 1:11 PM In reply to

Obviously Airplay is not directly supported. But music can be streamed to the Beosound through wifi without the use of Airplay.

• 07-22-2011 1:13 PM In reply to

moxxey:

Razlaw:
    The 5 is wonderful. 

I used to own the Beosound 5/Master, kept it for two months, then sold it. Didn't like the cables, didn't like the flacky Master, didn't like the expense and didn't like the Besound 5 UI (although I could live with that).

Did I mention it was very expensive? I might have forgotten that. Nearly $8000?

Razlaw:

Razlaw, think this through. A lot of the things Apple do is great. Also, it's B&O that are pushing the Apple/iTunes integration, the AirPlay/Express support and so on. It's in their adverts. 

On top of that, a forum can discuss other brands and integration. There's absolutely no reason why every discussion has to be 100% B&O.

Where in my post did I say other products should not be discussed? 

• 07-22-2011 1:21 PM In reply to

Mr10Percent:

Sounds like the same old things......

If a B&O product cant do what Apple can do.......it gets blasted.

If a B&O product can do the same as an Apple product......its too expensive .....and it gets blasted.

If a B&O product cand do the same as an Apple product and is comparable cost......it is an Apple and not B&O.....and it gets blasted.

TBH, I wish the Apple worshipers in here would just f...f....flick-off to the Apple forums. Us B&O worshipers know B&O will never be as good as Apple or cost 10 times less. So what? We understand this and enjoy our hobbie. Why continually keep on about the same thing? At the end of the day you just want an Apple product with a B&O badge on it - and that wont be B&O.

Ciao!

S

+1 ;)

• 07-22-2011 1:24 PM In reply to

Razlaw:
    I have a Macbook Pro, iMac, iTouch, iPad, and iPhone. So I obviously like Apple. I have Beoport connected to iMac and the Masterlink and have used it to listen to music. I also have Apple TV and have used it to listen to music.

Recently I purchased a Beosound 5. I actually investigated and learned what the 5 would and would not do before purchasing it. I did this so I would know what I was getting.

The 5 is wonderful. I have not turned Beoport or Apple TV on for music once since getting the Beosound 5.

The interface on the 5 is wonderful and easy to use. I can also turn it on from my iPad and adjust the volume and select the track I want.

The latest software update says that music can be played wirelessly form an iPhone or Android on the 5. What more do I need?

I am sure many here will be upset that B and O had the nerve to support Android and not just Apple.

As for cost, if the cost is too much for a product for what it is and does, don't buy it. There are even people out there who think iPhones and Macs are overpriced for what they do.

Personally, I do not like BMWs, but I do not spend my time posting on BMW forums how much better Audis and Jaguars are and complaining that BMW can't do things the Audi or Jaguar way.

+1 ;)

• 07-22-2011 1:30 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:

Where in my post did I say other products should not be discussed? 

Not saying you did, it was more implied:

Razlaw:

We can't just have a forum where we discuss "enjoying" B&O. Every forum incorporates other brands and products, particularly on how to integrate them.

Anyway, I guess it's a moot point. The other issue with forums is it's impossible for everyone to see eye-to-eye :)

• 07-22-2011 1:31 PM In reply to

Razlaw:

Obviously Airplay is not directly supported. But music can be streamed to the Beosound through wifi without the use of Airplay.

Thanks,  I think I didn't quite understand how it all works.  I am looking forward to getting this function on my Beosound 5.  

• 07-22-2011 2:50 PM In reply to

Puncher:

Whereas I read -

The Beosound should read all formats from iTunes and it should be controllable via a remote device on which your music collection is easily and clearly navigable complete with cover art.

But were do you find Apple Lossless in iTunes? You have to rip it yourself in this format or get it from somebody.

to be clear:  I owe several Apple products, but also Windows and Linux PC's and have a respectable B&o collection.

• 07-22-2011 3:34 PM In reply to

Razlaw:
    >

>

I could not agree more with these comments. 1/ IMO it just makes no sense to advance Apple, or even its Itunes, as the standard for current or future HiFi development. Some of you would like to see that (that's clear now) but it won't happen. I personnaly never liked the Itunes proposition and even in 2011 still prefer to buy real CD's. That's because the digital proposition is simply not the equivalent in quality. 2/Of course, time has come (for me and many others)to step over to a digital music library. I believe B&O now has a valuable proposition to offer with the Encore. It is a marvelous object, worthy to replace my Beocenter 2, its music is of the highest quality and it has an interesting interface programme eg MOTS. If I can use it with my Ipad (which seems to be the case) I am happy because I don't want any other IT stuff in my rooms. I am sure B&O is aware of this. 3/ The Encore's price is very correct. First, it is an excellent streaming device. Second, it has a wonderful DAC incorporated. Third, it has a beautiful touch screen to work with. Fourth, it has several interesting inputs and ouputs such as a digital out. Fifth, it is B&O and it brings terrific design into my room. Those who find the Encore expensive or cannot afford it, should not buy it and be silent. For me and many other people the price is fine and we are willing to pay this for this product. There have always existed other brands which offer comparable quality but in another package/ price in this industry (eg Arcam, Marantz, Loewe). SORRY, but this irrelevant in this discussion. I have already said this: I am very happy that a nice 911 Porsche costs 100.000 euro. This is how this business works. We don't want a BMW or a Range Rover, not even an Audi, we want a Porsche AND not the Boxer. I truly believe this also holds true for B&O. Thus, Apple lovers should follow their taste but should stop to critise this product on this forum. We are not interested in Airports, certainly not in Airport expresses.

BC2 DAB, Lab 1, Lab Penta, beo4, beocord 1101.

• 07-22-2011 4:09 PM In reply to

• shl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-18-2008
    • Posts 17
    • Bronze Member

For me b&o products is about offering something more and something for the future. That is what I love and enjoy with bs9000 still and have done for almost 12 years. The encore is sadely not this kind of product. 

It has nothing to do with price or apple... and when it comes to Airports; b&o put that in their video...

Page 3 of 11 (256 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »