in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-10-2011 8:40 AM by frog. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-06-2011 3:51 AM

• wood
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Posts 42
    • Gold Member

BeoSystem 3 and Apple TV 2

I have a BeoSystem 3 (SW-Version 10.02a) and i have connect a Apple TV2 via HDMI. The problem is: unfortunatly no picture (black screen), but the sound is working.

Can anybody help?

Thanks and best regards

Fredy

• 06-06-2011 11:23 AM In reply to

• frog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

Re: BeoSystem 3 and Apple TV 2

I get this occasionally - use the apple remote to ensure the appleTV is sending something after powering the Beosystem 3 down for 30 seconds - then on again. I think there is some issue in recognising the HDMI signal.

• 06-06-2011 12:13 PM In reply to

• wood
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Posts 42
    • Gold Member

thanks, frog, but unfortunatly this has not helped. still black screnn. audio is working. are there anything else what i can do?

Fredy

• 06-06-2011 12:37 PM In reply to

Another cable, different input, hook up your ATV to another tv. Isolate the problem first and go from there.

• 06-06-2011 1:10 PM In reply to

• wood
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Posts 42
    • Gold Member

yes, i have tried:

- other cables= doesn't work
    - different inputs on BS3 = doesn't work
    - ATV works fine when i connect direct to a TV

thanks for more help

Fredy

• 06-06-2011 1:46 PM In reply to

Hi Fredy

What source have you chosen to connect the Apple Tv to?

For instance, choosing V.mem, you will have to configure the settings in the BS3 menu to have HDMI A, B, C or D(depending on which one you have chosen) associated  to V.mem.

This may be obvious and you might already know, but just to be sure :-)

Which screen do you have?

/Ehlerz

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 06-06-2011 3:14 PM In reply to

• wood
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Posts 42
    • Gold Member

hi Ehlerz, i use "DTV2" and i have cosen the associat HDMI-Port on the BS3. I use a Pioneer Kuro screen on the BS3. If i connect the ATV diect to the screen, everthing is fine.

Fredy

• 06-06-2011 8:20 PM In reply to

• egoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-12-2011
    • Austin, Texas - USA
    • Posts 77
    • Gold Member

Have you tried messing with the output resolution setting on the ATV? I've had issues with my ATV1 and some older TVs.

• 06-06-2011 10:58 PM In reply to

This may sound crazy but my guess is you are using hdmi 1.3v or lower cables. If you have a the most recent ATV2 update it seems to induce a handshake error on certain screens. A couple clients have had all working but then would not be able to watch say Netflix or a purchased itunes movie... the whole time being able to see the itunes menu and operate it as normal. It may pain you but you may have to pay for a new 1.4v cable and make sure it is firmly seated (seems the ATV2 also has a sensitive connector. I have had to due this on all B&O TV's that share some of the same problems you are having. This isn't a B&O only issue but seems to be a known issue in the ATV2. Simply do a search on google for ATV2 HDMI and you can see what some other people have done (including the above) to resolve the issues with their non B&O screens (powering down the tv, plugging and unplugging etc.) And as always make sure you are running the newest BS3 software as well. Just throwing out what I've run into. 

BV7-40 MKIV, BeoVision Avant 32, BeoVision 8-32, BeoLab Penta MKIII, BeoLab 6000 x 3, BeoSound 9000 MKIII, BeoLab 7-4, BeoSound 4000, BeoPort, BeoVox S45-2, ML/MCL Convertors, A8's & Form 2's. 

• 06-07-2011 2:06 AM In reply to

• wood
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Posts 42
    • Gold Member

Ok, i will buy a new HDMI cable and try again. Thanks for all your help.

• 06-07-2011 2:17 AM In reply to

• wood
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Posts 42
    • Gold Member

or has this to do with HDCP? Is my BeoSystem compatible with HDCP?

• 06-07-2011 6:13 AM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

BeoMegaMan's response reminded me that we had 2 TV's respond badly to the last ATV2 update.  One just had to be powered down, but the other had to do a full reset (including account info) to get working.  

• 06-08-2011 12:50 AM In reply to

• wood
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Posts 42
    • Gold Member

Now i have change the cable, reset fully the screen, but still black. Nothing helps. Any more ideas?

Thanks and regards

Fredy

• 06-08-2011 3:46 AM In reply to

Did you try another source?

• 06-08-2011 4:09 AM In reply to

• wood
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Posts 42
    • Gold Member

yes, i have tried different sources, but no success.

• 06-09-2011 10:48 AM In reply to

• wood
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Posts 42
    • Gold Member

Are there any other ideas how i can run an ATV2 on my BeoSystem3?

Fredy

• 06-09-2011 11:25 AM In reply to

You tried another source, so the ATV2 has nothing to do it. Tried another cable. Different inputs on your BS3. Still no go.

So get your BS3 updated/repaired! I see no other option.

• 06-09-2011 12:31 PM In reply to

• Karla
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-19-2008
    • USA
    • Posts 81
    • Bronze Member

I learned much more than I ever wanted to know about HDMI when I decided to hook up the ATV2 to my Avant.

The problem that you are encountering is a security issue between the ATV2 and the B3. The ATV2 is looking for a security signal from the B3 which is designed to guard copyright protection, and while the lack of the security signal will usually generate audio, the video will then be altered in two common variants: black and white picture or no picture at all. You have proven that the ATV2 is in fact capable of generating the video by connecting it directly to your television.

This leaves you with the following options:

1.    Contact B&O and find out if there is an update for the B3 to support the security signal.

2.    Bypass the B3 and connect directly to the television.

3.    Completely counterintuitive, but: hook up a convertor between the ATV2 and the B3, and feed the B3 through the non-HDMI connection. Below is my post as to what I used to convert the HDMI for use on the Avant:

The Apple TV 2nd Generation (black) works with the Avant! The solution: feed the HDMI through the LinkStyle HD Video Convertor LK-219414. It gives wonderful color and the sound is perfectly synched. I purchased it from Amazon for $53.99 plus shipping. Have fun and enjoy!

• 06-09-2011 1:24 PM In reply to

• wood
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Posts 42
    • Gold Member

Thank you very much for your answer. I try to find such a converter here in Switzerland do it in the same way as you did. As soon as i have installed such a converter i will report the results.

cheers

Fredy

• 06-09-2011 1:41 PM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

This is good stuff Karla.  Did you use an a/b switchbox for the "extra" component cable set? Thanks.

I have not run across a handshake issue with BeoSystem 3, and we have an early series 1 in the store.  If there were a handshake issue, it must have been resolved with software update.  It appears the last time an update addressed HDMI issues was October 2009.

What I haven't done is run to a non-B&O screen.  Is it possible the handshake issue is between BeoSystem 3 and the Pioneer?  We have run Apple TV2 to every recent B&O television with nice results.  

BTW, going to try Roku box next, because it has Hulu+ and many options for on-demand TV.  There goes another HDMI port.   

• 06-09-2011 1:47 PM In reply to

• frog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

HDCP is in passthrough mode in the Beosystem 3 - so that isn't the problem - and i'd hesitate on buying a new box - specially as it downscales unnecessarily for your needs. The issue with the avant is different as it is the downscaler box that needs to have an active HDCP key as it is a terminator (and not really legal :) ).

One thing I'd suggest is to go into the customer menu (MENU, MENU, move to OPTION, then press RED then GO) and check that the monitor output is set to 60hz - it may be that your screen is rebelling against the input from the Beosystem 3. 

• 06-09-2011 2:22 PM In reply to

• wood
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Posts 42
    • Gold Member

frog:

One thing I'd suggest is to go into the customer menu (MENU, MENU, move to OPTION, then press RED then GO) and check that the monitor output is set to 60hz - it may be that your screen is rebelling against the input from the Beosystem 3. 

hi frog, that i have already done, the monitor output is at 60Hz. On the other hand, i have already 2 other inputs (a bluery player and a settop box), both are using a hdmi-input on the BS3 and they are working fine. So, this must be something between the ATV2 and ther BS3.

• 06-09-2011 2:27 PM In reply to

wood:

On the other hand, i have already 2 other inputs (a bluery player and a settop box), both are using a hdmi-input on the BS3 and they are working fine. So, this must be something between the ATV2 and ther BS3.

Yesterday you said you tried different sources, with no succes..

• 06-09-2011 4:02 PM In reply to

• wood
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Posts 42
    • Gold Member

sorry, must be a misunderstanding: yes, i have tried different sources/connectors at the BS3 with ATV2 (on the hdmi-input A i have a settop-box, on the hdmi-input B i habe a bd-player, at the hdmi-input C i have connected the ATV2. The settop-box and the BD-player are working fine, ATV2 ist "dark" (audio ist working, but no video).

sorry again for this unclear explanation from my side.

Fredy

• 06-09-2011 4:19 PM In reply to

Maybe a swap of the ATV2? I have seen in the Apple forums that some customers have been able to swap theirs out and it cleared up the issue. Additionally, you may try to set your BS3 into Framelock - Double Buffer as another work around......(red + go while on options then select picture adjustments).... I seem to remember that working on the old ATV1 with the old BV7's, but that was a B&O screen.......

BV7-40 MKIV, BeoVision Avant 32, BeoVision 8-32, BeoLab Penta MKIII, BeoLab 6000 x 3, BeoSound 9000 MKIII, BeoLab 7-4, BeoSound 4000, BeoPort, BeoVox S45-2, ML/MCL Convertors, A8's & Form 2's. 

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >