in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-02-2011 1:04 AM by mediabobny. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-26-2011 11:44 PM

• Paul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2011
    • New York City
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

New owner of a beogram 5000 with MMC3

Hi folks:  I'm new again to vinyl.  I remember when I was 8, my father bought me my first turntable/amp/radio combo and would rub my finger on the needle to see if it was still sharp.  So, I hear that needles last 1000 plays, but if you get one on a unit who's history is unclear, how do you know when to get it serviced? 

I've been going around the thrift stores getting old collection of probably deceased individuals who loved opera, classical, show tunes etc.  I know some recordings and presses are better than others, but is the crackle sound just dust on the lp, or is it something else?  I'm so clueless, even though I'd like to consider myself as having a good ear.... or two..

• 05-27-2011 12:26 AM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

Re: New owner of a beogram 5000 with MMC3

You'll know when the stylus is shot - you can hear the distortion.  Or get a cartridge test record available on eBay that will put it throught its paces.  The crackle sound you hear most likely is dust; maybe some scratches in the vinyl as well.  Get yourself a record cleaning brush such as Discwasher or Parastat.  J&R here in town sells them.  You also can literally wash the LP using mild dishwashing detergent.

• 05-27-2011 1:18 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

I regularly use all the following:

Discwasher record brush (for less than great condition records, or any used records of unknown history the first time I play them)

Discwasher record cleaning fluid

Mobile Fidelity record brush (for great or better condition records)

Mobile Fidelity stylus cleaning fluid

Mobile Fidelity stylus brush

Zerostat anti-static gun

Recommend all of the above be part of a vinyl lover's tool box. 

While it's debatable whether you need to clean (i.e., use fluid on) a new record, some folks say there is a mold release chemical residue left on new records and you should clean them.

Others will tell you the moment you put fluid on a record, you've ruined it.  And by "ruin it" what they really mean is "audibly degraded the surface of the record."

In the end, if you're a serious collector, you will spend much more money on records than on your cartridge.  You owe it to your investment in your records to take care of your stylus and have your cartridge retipped when it's needed.  Benny Amina can help you with that here in the States.

Also in the end, let your ears guide you.

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 05-28-2011 12:25 AM In reply to

• Paul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2011
    • New York City
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

I ordered the shure test LP.  Thanks for the advice, but washing a record is not a good idea, especially when there is a paper label!!... yes, I found out the hard way....

• 05-28-2011 1:52 AM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

I've never had that problem.  Perhaps I hurried the process.  The Shure Test LP is a good one!  And a complete Discwasher kit such as this is something to consider.  Includes the Zerostat (which will literally shock you if it's working properly).

• 05-28-2011 3:04 AM In reply to

I use a mix of isoprophylic alcohol, destilled water and dishwash. For heavy cleaning I use 1/4 alcohol, 3/4 destilled water and 2-3 drops of dishwasher fluid, cleaning with a microfiber brush or cloth, and drying with a soft cotton cloth, for daily use a record cleaner microfiber brush moistered with destilled water with a drop of dishwasher fluid.

With care, doing heavy cleaning, working in circular motion around the label you will keep it dry and as it were.

A new record comes with a sort of oil or grease on it and will have to be cleaned before use, the oil attached is used in the production to get the pressing tool to release the record, its kept on the record as protection. The oil will mute the sound a little, but the difference is only audible for very good or Crooked ears (Peter), when cleaning a new record, with the microfiber brush, normaly before playing, it will disappear after 3-4 plays anyway.

This works for me, but audiophiles will disagree, you can invest in machines to do this, but the end line is the cleaning liquid, which is more or less like my mix, the dishdrops provide the antistatic, but in very dry ambients you will have to use more sofisticated tools for this.

You can make everything into a science its only a question of how much you want to spend.

For cleaning my pickup needle, I use for daily cleaning a soft nylon brush, and once in a while I wet it with alcohol and brush it dry with the brush, all very carefully and softly, working back to front with the brush.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 06-01-2011 10:17 PM In reply to

• Paul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2011
    • New York City
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

very thorough indeed!

I just got my beomaster 3300 with a pair or RL 45's and I just love the rich sound. It's such a pleasure.  A real pleasure.  I was in Target the other day watching this woman buy this big boom box for hundreds of dollars and thought.....she has no idea what she's missing out on...

Filed under:
  • 06-01-2011 10:21 PM In reply to

• Paul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2011
    • New York City
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

that was a nice kit you pointed out.  the gun is a bit much, though.  I could do without  actual static shocks, however.  I'm going to continue to look around for a good kit.  My MMC3 is sounding lovely, however.  I love my new old system.  Such a rich sound.  So, was this the best the world had to offer at the time?  how do you think B and O then compare to the expensive music fidelity amps or para amps of today?

• 06-02-2011 1:04 AM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

Well, the shocks are just if you want to test it and place your finger at the tip of the gun while firing.  You could use the supplied light bulb instead Yes -  thumbs up

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)