in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-18-2011 10:45 AM by Hubbe. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-16-2011 10:57 PM

• Earle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-12-2008
    • Posts 26
    • Bronze Member

Beolab 6000 restoration... Ideas?

Found a pair of Beolab 6000 at a deal! Unfortunately, the surrounds need replacement. Anyone have experience with these speakers specifically and this problem? Possible to order the entire bass drivers directly from B&O? I was told that replaceing the drivers will also require calibration of the interior electronics... true?

www.myspace.com/djbosconian www.myspace.com/earlec
  • 05-17-2011 12:36 AM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

Re: Beolab 6000 restoration... Ideas?

You don't need to replace the entire driver if they just need refoaming.   Just get a repair kit such as this.  The seller apparently provides support as well.

• 05-17-2011 2:42 AM In reply to

• Earle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-12-2008
    • Posts 26
    • Bronze Member

Well, I would sort of prefer to replace the entire drivers. For me, replacing the surrounds would be a last resort, as there are significant challenges (the original surrounds are difficult to remove from underneath the cone, glueing the new surrounds underneath the cone will prove difficult because the speaker housing limits accessability).

If I were able to get my hands on new drivers from the dealer, would anyone know if calibrating them be a difficult process?

www.myspace.com/djbosconian www.myspace.com/earlec
  • 05-17-2011 5:08 AM In reply to

Here is my reply to Earle in response to an email he sent to me.

In my experience, from a purely sonic viewpoint, re-foaming is NOT an option. They will sound crap!
    The foams are MUCH less pliable than the original flimsy rubber material, the result is restricted travel of the cone and subsequent change of sound characteristics of the woofer.
    $180 per speaker! I suppose if that is per tower then I could probably understand. If that is per driver, it’s a rip off.
    Calibration is not difficult. It involves feeding the completed speaker with an audio signal of specified frequency (100Hz if I remember) and specified voltage and thereafter adjusting the voltage output from the amplifier to accommodate a more/less efficient driver. The adjustment is performed by removing a set screw from the face of the heat-sink fins and adjusting a trim pot with a long screwdriver.
    All the replacement drivers that I have fitted have had a sticker stating that their output is +0.5dB.
    Replacing both drivers would mean +1.0dB from the completed tower which to my ears gives a pleasant and much needed boost to the bass.
    The choice is yours!

Regards Graham

• 05-18-2011 5:57 AM In reply to

• Yendys
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 100
    • Founder

After about 9 years of a lot of playing my drivers went, i checked price to replace & recalibrate through B&O service and seem to recall it was very reasonable give their new/used value. They still sound wonderful after a further 5 years although they are now in a link room.

BV10, AvantDVD, BS3000, BL8000, BL6000, BL4000, BL3500, BeoPorts, BC9300, BC7002, CX100s, C75s, Beo4s, BC6000s, LC2s, A9, A8s,

• 05-18-2011 10:45 AM In reply to

• Hubbe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-03-2011
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

Yendys:
    After about 9 years of a lot of playing my drivers went, i checked price to replace & recalibrate through B&O service and seem to recall it was very reasonable give their new/used value. They still sound wonderful after a further 5 years although they are now in a link room.

I agree, B&O after sales service is very reasonable. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)