in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-12-2011 6:44 AM by Electrified. 98 replies.
Page 4 of 4 (99 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-26-2011 6:54 AM In reply to

Re: Beosound 5 Encore.... not until after summer !

No, I meant the BS5 would become obsolete when the Encore is released. Unless you want to burn your plasma BeoVision with a static image of BeoMedia 5 showing your CD cover, I don't see the point in keeping the 2 systems in the catalogue. If the BeoNet is not released at the same time as BS5 Encore, it may be a different story of course.Smile

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 04-26-2011 8:15 AM In reply to

Doesn't the Beosound 5 allow music to be distributed to link rooms whereas the Encore does not, unless there is a second Encore used?

And I seem to recall reading that the 2 way wifi cover art on the Beo 6 will only work with the Beosound 5, not the Encore? Perhaps because there is no need for the Beo 6 with an Encore as there must be an Encore in every room where music is desired?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 04-26-2011 10:37 AM In reply to

Talked to my dealer today about the encore.

Beosound 5 gives you the multi room option whereas the Beosound 5 encore is a standalone product.

Beosound 5 get a HDD upgrade to 1TB capacity.

Beosound 5 will disappear when the new Beonet (Ethernet based connection out of factory) is in place with other products so the encore can "talk" to other components...

It would not surprise me, if we see some central B&O "storage array" in the future where all systems connect and get their respective media from...

Best

Ultra

• 04-26-2011 10:45 AM In reply to

Stephan:
    It would not surprise me, if we see some central B&O "storage array" in the future where all systems connect and get their respective media from...

It is called Beomaster 5.

Encore is not a standalone product, but a beonet product. The Encore is only presented as a standalone product because they do not want people to know that there is a Beonet coming up, as people would stop buying current ML products.

I am sure the new Beonet will be fantastic, but it is a shame they bring it so late....

• 04-26-2011 12:07 PM In reply to

Stephan:

Talked to my dealer today about the encore.

Beosound 5 gives you the multi room option whereas the Beosound 5 encore is a standalone product.

Beosound 5 get a HDD upgrade to 1TB capacity.

Beosound 5 will disappear when the new Beonet (Ethernet based connection out of factory) is in place with other products so the encore can "talk" to other components...

Best

Ultra

IN which case the Beomaster 5 is a big waste of money because one can buy a NAS for 1/10th of the price?

The encore should be the original BS5 set for initial launch!

Just poor planning from B&O!

Vince

• 04-26-2011 6:41 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Chrisreunion:

And the irony is, as far as I know, the BS5 has no digital audio output..which means in that case that the Sonos or Apple Airport would perform better with BL5..Surprise

The BS5/BM5 definitely has a digital audio output.

• 04-27-2011 1:13 AM In reply to

Sorry Stan, I meant the Encore, not BS5 of course.Surprise

• 04-28-2011 7:43 AM In reply to

It may be too early, but does anyone know if the Encore will be able to act as an audio master, like BS5?

It would be great to activate the sources with RADIO/CD/AMEM on your Beo4, rather than using the "LIST" key..Smile

• 05-04-2011 8:46 AM In reply to

• tompa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-30-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 94
    • Bronze Member

Yes,

you can use cd,radio,amem instead of n.radio,n.music if you want

audiomaster then it possible to connect to ML system thru Beonet/ML converterbox

• 05-08-2011 12:49 PM In reply to

http://www.olive.us/

The new Olive Audio thing is 5000$. And it doesn't have MOTS or Genius neither does it Apple Lossless.

Edit: That does not mean IMHO that B&O is off the hook for providing that.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 05-09-2011 4:29 AM In reply to

• petermc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Shepparton, Australia
    • Posts 87
    • Founder

On the plus side though the Olive does include a CD drive and a 2tb hard disc.

I think B&O need to realise that not everyone has their music loaded on a computer or they may not want to either.

Peter

• 05-09-2011 4:42 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

petermc:
    I think B&O need to realise that not everyone has their music loaded on a computer or they may not want to either.

I think that B&O are totally right about giving away that stupid mechanical thing of the past... Converting a CD to FLAC is a quick process, it has to be done one time for ever, instead of needing to search a disc everytime you want to play it.
    I think that when you will make the jump, you will realise that CD is a thing of the past. Now you just see FLAC/MP3/AAC as a "computer thing", but with Beosound 5 Encore or things like that, it's not "computer" anymore.
    But I have to agree that not everyone has their music loaded on their computer : now B&O has to follow the trend of subscription music and music servers such as Amazon Cloud/Spotify/Deezer...

• 05-10-2011 4:25 AM In reply to

• petermc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Shepparton, Australia
    • Posts 87
    • Founder

I think with the Olive it seems easier to get the music onto the hard drive. It seems to be a matter of loading the disc and hitting copy and it's done.

With the BS 5 the CD has to be copied onto a computer and then pushed onto the BS 5.

I'm not disputing the convenience of digital - I'd just like to be able to load music direct without the need for a computer.

Peter

• 05-10-2011 8:09 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

petermc:

I think with the Olive it seems easier to get the music onto the hard drive. It seems to be a matter of loading the disc and hitting copy and it's done.

That`s exactly what I`m doing when I transfer music to my BS5 - just insert a CD and start COPY. But I have the choice between five CD drives for it, because there are three Mac Minis and two Mac books in our house, connected to the same network (Macbooks wireless) and equipped with Beoplayer. At least two of them are always running. No need to start up my BS5. Can`t be easier, I think...

petermc:

With the BS 5 the CD has to be copied onto a computer and then pushed onto the BS 5

Wrong. Music can be transfered directly from CD to BM5 - NO need to copy to a computer and then push to BM5 - as described above and in several other threads in BS5 forum.

petermc:

I'm not disputing the convenience of digital - I'd just like to be able to load music direct without the need for a computer.

Yes, my Macs are computers, BM5 is a computer - what is Olive?

Stefan

• 05-10-2011 9:05 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

I'm a bit miffed that it won't have a digital out*. On the other hand, the Encore should have a pretty reasonable and up-to-date DAC, which leaves me with the only "problem" of long stretches of analogue wires.

*I'd prefer a switchable (in software) AES/EBU-S/PDIF, but since I'm pretty sure that won't happen, I guess I could make do with a coaxial S/PDIF - or perhaps some small add-on/adaptor to take the signal from the beonetplug  if at all possible and convert it to S/PDIF.

Damn delays.

• 05-11-2011 4:59 AM In reply to

• petermc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Shepparton, Australia
    • Posts 87
    • Founder

That makes me very happy if a CD can be directly pushed onto the BS5 without first saving it on my laptop.

When the dealer showed me how to transfer music it was first saved on the laptop in Windows Media and then pushed onto the BS 5. He said it worked the same with iTunes. There was no mention of direct transfer without having to save it it first. The only reason I prefer to not to save music on my laptop is that it is a work supplied machine.

I am aware that the Olive is basically a 'computer'; what I mean is that with the BS5 it takes a computer to push the music onto another 'computer'. It would be good if the CD drive was built in for the sake of convenience.

In my situation it would be perfect.

Thanks for clarifying that you can direct transfer to a BS 5.

Peter

• 05-11-2011 6:53 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

petermc:

That makes me very happy if a CD can be directly pushed onto the BS5 without first saving it on my laptop.

When the dealer showed me how to transfer music it was first saved on the laptop in Windows Media and then pushed onto the BS 5. He said it worked the same with iTunes. There was no mention of direct transfer without having to save it it first. The only reason I prefer to not to save music on my laptop is that it is a work supplied machine.

I am aware that the Olive is basically a 'computer'; what I mean is that with the BS5 it takes a computer to push the music onto another 'computer'. It would be good if the CD drive was built in for the sake of convenience.

In my situation it would be perfect.

Thanks for clarifying that you can direct transfer to a BS 5.

You just set your NAS (or BM5 if that's the way you're doing it) as the drive to rip to. The computer doesn't care where it dumps the ripped file.

• 05-11-2011 8:47 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Electrified and Stefan are right.

I own a Beosound 5 and i've chosen the BeoMaster 5 hard drive in Windows Media Player to rip the albums or tracks directly.

Fast and clever.

• 05-11-2011 10:44 AM In reply to

steph:

Electrified and Stefan are right.

I own a Beosound 5 and i've chosen the BeoMaster 5 hard drive in Windows Media Player to rip the albums or tracks directly.

Fast and clever.

Use EAC! Wink

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

BS 1, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2,  BS 2, BS 3, 2x Beo 4, BS 5, BM 5, BL 5,Beo 6, BS 6, 2x A8, BV 8-40, BL 8000, 3x A9 Keyring, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400

• 05-11-2011 1:58 PM In reply to

Electrified:

You just set your NAS (or BM5 if that's the way you're doing it) as the drive to rip to. The computer doesn't care where it dumps the ripped file.

The big visual experience will be that if you're using a NAS to dump your ripped files, all your high resolution covers will be downscaled to 160 x 160. Just imagine how this looks on a 1024x768 display...

• 05-12-2011 2:01 AM In reply to

DoubleU:

The big visual experience will be that if you're using a NAS to dump your ripped files, all your high resolution covers will be downscaled to 160 x 160. Just imagine how this looks on a 1024x768 display...

......a NAS is used alongside the BS5. I tweaked Twonkyserver, now I get the origial tag-enclosed resolution.

The downscaled 160*160 looked even horrible on the relative small screen of the BS5

• 05-12-2011 3:37 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Carolpa:

......a NAS is used alongside the BS5. I tweaked Twonkyserver, now I get the origial tag-enclosed resolution.

The downscaled 160*160 looked even horrible on therelative small screen of the BS5

Sounds good. So it is possible to circumvent this artificial limitation. 

How did you do it?

• 05-12-2011 5:52 AM In reply to

the simplest way is to delete some files in the cgi-bin directory (as part of TwonkyServer) on the NAS.

the files: convert-jpeg.desc and jpeg-scale.desc

the other way is to change a setting in a XML (I don't know for now which file it was...... ) 

• 05-12-2011 6:44 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Sounds pretty simple. Thanks Smile

Page 4 of 4 (99 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4