in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-11-2011 4:02 PM by RobN. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-04-2011 12:39 PM

iMac (mid 2010) + DAC Magic + Beoport -> no sound

Hi,

I put a DACmagic inbetween the iMac and the Beoport.

First try was to use the optical cable to connect between iMac and DAC and a Cinch to 3,5jack cable to the Beoport. No Sound. nothing. Th iMac recognises the optical cable in system settings. 

Second I used the USB Port to the DAC and then the same cable to Beoport. No Sound, but very silent noise (from the source I was playing). System settings were put to USB. 

The Input selector of the DAC was set correctly. The Phase / Filter settings do not change anything.

What is wrong?

New start of BM-Link done - no change. 

Thanks for your input.

Heribert

BeoVision 8-40 / BeoVision 8-32 / Beovision 6-26 / BeoSound 3200 / BeoSound 1 / BeoLab 3 /  Beolab 6000 / Beolab 2000 / Beoport / Beomedia 1 / 3* Beo4 /BeoCom 5 with VOIP

• 03-05-2011 7:19 AM In reply to

Re: iMac (mid 2010) + DAC Magic + Beoport -> no sound

Update: Today I can get sound when using USB wire. Optical fibre cable does still not work. What I realize is a far superior sound when listening through the DAC Magic. 

BeoVision 8-40 / BeoVision 8-32 / Beovision 6-26 / BeoSound 3200 / BeoSound 1 / BeoLab 3 /  Beolab 6000 / Beolab 2000 / Beoport / Beomedia 1 / 3* Beo4 /BeoCom 5 with VOIP

• 03-11-2011 4:02 PM In reply to

• RobN
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 57
    • Gold Member

Re: iMac (mid 2010) + DAC Magic + Beoport -> no sound

HI Heribert,

I'm glad you've now got sound coming from the DACmagic. I've been using one for two years linked to my Mac-Mini and BeoPort and I still am impressed by the sound improvement.

I understand you have got it working via USB but I urge you to persist with the TOSlink because the quality is even better (no jitter). Some thoughts on how to find out why the fibre-optic didn't work:

1. Make sure the TOSlink cable is firmly engaged in the Mac but do not plug the other end into the DACmagic, can you see a red light at the tip of the plug? 

2. If yes to above plug into the DACmagic Digital input 1 socket (after removing blank plug) and ensure it's properly engaged. Is the source now set to Digital Input 1, then you should see one of the LED's on the right hand side under the "Incoming Sample Rate" heading.

3. If no to above then your Mac isn't outputing digitally, check under System Preferences > Sound >Output tab to see if it says Optical Digital Out Port

4. If yes to 2. then it may be that input socket 1 is faulty try putting the TOSlink into socket 2 and selecting it on the front

Let me know how you get on.

Best regards,

Rob

BV7-32, BL8000, BL2, BL6000, Humax, AppleTV3, MX4200, V8000, Humax, BS3200, BL6000, BL4000, BeoPort, MacMini+DACmagic 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)