in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-08-2012 11:47 PM by Søren Mexico. 55 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-23-2011 11:28 AM In reply to

• depe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-22-2009
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Re: I gave up my B&O receiver (Beosystem) for an Onkyo!

Hi Macjonny,

I am reading your thread with great attention. I also own a BS1, combined with a Samsung LED TV and Beolabs ( BL8000 front, 2xBL4000 center, BL4000 rear). I got the BS1 used a year ago with the intention to stay in the B&O ecco system, mainly to maintain a seamless integration with my BS9000. Unfortuntately my BS1 arrived broken, and I never managed to get the ML going. I also found that the BS9000 became more and more a decorative piece rather than anything else. So I retired the BS9000, leaving the BS1 useless.

I believe that the Marantz AV7005 could be a great replacement for the BS1. It has pre-amp outs to drive the Beolabs, trigger outs to turn on/off the Beolabs, 6 HDMI 1.4 inputs to connect my Samsung Bluray player and whatever there might be to come in the future, it can stream internet radio and has Airplay. Oh, and it has 2 HDMI outputs, so I can add a projector if I ever decide to get one.Sounds great to me.

So what made you choose the Onkyo over the AV7005? The AV7005 looks like the perfect unit for the active Beolabs. It is like a BS3, just less expensive ($1500) and much more uptodate.

• 02-23-2011 2:13 PM In reply to

Hi depe. How do you cope with the rear speaker on/off triggering in low volumes? Does it not happen with the Marntzz AV7005???

-Dimitris

• 02-23-2011 2:15 PM In reply to

Sorry. Double post.

-Dimitris

• 02-23-2011 3:52 PM In reply to

• depe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-22-2009
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

DrDimitris:

Hi depe. How do you cope with the rear speaker on/off triggering in low volumes? Does it not happen with the Marntzz AV7005???

Hi Dimitris,

the idea is to drive the Beolab's via Powerlink rather than the line inputs. Many AV receivers provide a so called trigger output, which is used to signal other equipment to turn on. The only issue is that the trigger signals in general are 0V (off) and 12V(on) but Beolabs need 5V (on). Fortunately a simple circuit can lower the 12V coming from the AV7005 to 5V, see Figure below (I have "borrowed" this from Peter Pan, so the credit goes to him). Long story short, pretty much every modern AV receiver can turn on/off the Beolabs, however, a special cable must be created to do this. Going this route, the Beolab's won't turn off at low signal levels since the signal level is no longer used to turn on the Beolab.

• 02-23-2011 4:04 PM In reply to

The point is…who can make this special cable? Steve from Sounds Heavenly? Where do you buy yours? Because if it is possible, then there is a pretty nice (or even better) and cheaper alternative for the Beosystem3. 

-Dimitris

• 02-23-2011 8:14 PM In reply to

The 12 V trigger in 708 is only for zone 2

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 02-28-2011 3:19 PM In reply to

depe:

s to turn on/off the Beolabs, 6 HDMI 1.4 inputs to connect my Samsung Bluray player and whatever there might be to come in the future, it can stream internet radio and has Airplay. Oh, and it has 2 HDMI outputs, so I can add a projector if I ever decide to get one.Sounds great to me.

So what made you choose the Onkyo over the AV7005? The AV7005 looks like the perfect unit for the active Beolabs. It is like a BS3, just less expensive ($1500) and much more uptodate.

The Onkyo can do all that including internet/pandora.  I don't care about Airplay I have a sonos system.  The Onkyo has 2 HDMI outputs so the same there too.  The Onkyo is $1150, has 9.2 surround vs. 7.2.    Cheaper and more features that I care about.

• 02-28-2011 5:04 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Søren Mexico:

Zone 2 can be programmed to turn on everytime with the receiver I think.

Evan

• 03-02-2011 10:05 PM In reply to

Evan:

Søren Mexico:

Zone 2 can be programmed to turn on everytime with the receiver I think.

Yes right, just checked, even if nothing is connected to Zone 2, it turns on, in the manual its says trigger 12 V only for zone 2.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 03-02-2011 10:37 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Søren Mexico:

Yes right, just checked, even if nothing is connected to Zone 2, it turns on, in the manual its says trigger 12 V only for zone 2.

The Onkyo setup I just did, I believe used the zone 2 line out for recording purposes... Don't quite remember, something like that though.

Evan

• 03-02-2011 10:49 PM In reply to

Evan:

Søren Mexico:

The Onkyo setup I just did, I believe used the zone 2 line out for recording purposes... Don't quite remember, something like that though.

I use zone 2 line out to my computer line in, connected my BG 5000 to Phono in on the Onkyo and grab my vinyl to MP3

• 03-02-2011 10:56 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Søren Mexico:

I use zone 2 line out to my computer line in, connected my BG 5000 to Phono in on the Onkyo and grab my vinyl to MP3

Slick Søren!

Evan

• 03-03-2011 4:16 PM In reply to

I would actually consider selling my BeoSystem 3 if we get a few more features on this non-b&o setup. 

- I want control of peripherals (STB), does these receivers come with IR blasters or how do they control blu-ray players, dvb-c tuners, playstation 3, etc??

- I want only one remote - and preferably an se*y iphone app to control IT ALL

- And what do I do with my BeoLink Active and BL8000 in my office?

- And my BeoCenter 2

Hmmm ... 

• 03-04-2011 11:13 AM In reply to

chrisped:

I would actually consider selling my BeoSystem 3 if we get a few more features on this non-b&o setup. 

- I want control of peripherals (STB), does these receivers come with IR blasters or how do they control blu-ray players, dvb-c tuners, playstation 3, etc??

- I want only one remote - and preferably an se*y iphone app to control IT ALL

- And what do I do with my BeoLink Active and BL8000 in my office?

- And my BeoCenter 2

Hmmm ... 

The Onkyo I purchased has a remote that can learn commands from any other remote.  In fact, I taught it commands from my Beolink 5000 to control my LC1 light controller.   It doesn't include IR blasters but I purchased a Logitech one for $40 and works great.  Comes with an IR receiver, a large IR blaster, and 2 small additional IR blasters. Playstation 3 uses bluetooth for remote commands so you would need some way to convert IR commands to bluetooth.  I think there is a way to do this...

You can get iphone/ipod touch based universal remote apps...or Logitech Harmony.

Get a Sonos system for your beolink active....

Get rid of the Beocenter 2 while you can still get money for it.  Looks great....technology in it is dying.  You would of course have to find a way to spend all the money you would make selling your B&O kit...

• 03-06-2011 6:26 PM In reply to

I gave up my Onkyo A-SV810PRO for Bang & Olufsen!!! LaughingStick out tongueYes -  thumbs up

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 03-06-2011 8:17 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Jonathan:

I gave up my Onkyo A-SV810PRO for Bang & Olufsen!!! LaughingStick out tongueYes -  thumbs up

GO Jonny!!

Evan

• 03-06-2011 8:33 PM In reply to

Jonathan:

And I thought masochism was catching on!

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 03-06-2011 9:35 PM In reply to

What did u get?

Beovox RL 60.2, RL 6000, S45-2, CX 50, Cona, Beolink Passive, MCL2P, BM4500, Beosound 1, Beocenter 2500, Beolab 2500, Besound 4000, Beolab 4000, Beocom 6000, A8, Beosystem 1

• 03-06-2011 10:41 PM In reply to

"TripEnglish"....Sorry but defending BO when one is moving from BS1 to a onkyo is a challenge lost before taken....

Beovox RL 60.2, RL 6000, S45-2, CX 50, Cona, Beolink Passive, MCL2P, BM4500, Beosound 1, Beocenter 2500, Beolab 2500, Besound 4000, Beolab 4000, Beocom 6000, A8, Beosystem 1

• 03-07-2011 2:27 AM In reply to

I am in a similar situation. I am using my old Lexicon MC1 pre-amp 12v trigger for my BeoLab 8000 front speaker, BeoLab 10 center, Beolab 4000 side speaker and BeoLab 2 subwoofer. And I am using a Logitech Harmony one to control all my gear, including my Beocenter 2.

I am still playing with my Lexicon to get the best sound possible.... Right now I am using 100hz for crossover and it seems ok.

However, I will consider to upgrade to Beosystem 4 depends on the price.

• 03-07-2011 4:22 PM In reply to

sodoi18:

"TripEnglish"....Sorry but defending BO when one is moving from BS1 to a onkyo is a challenge lost before taken....

Maybe he didn't read right.  Masochism would have been sticking with a BS1.

• 03-07-2011 4:52 PM In reply to

macjonny1:

sodoi18:

Maybe he didn't read right.  Masochism would have been sticking with a BS1.

Well...

How about the followup? Sounds like Onkyo is for you after all!

Laughing

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-07-2011 5:06 PM In reply to

Haha that was a funny comment connecting your wires to a tree stump!  Big Smile

The Onkyo is working out well.  There are so many options and quite complicated I've only just begun to work with it.  The Beolabs are working great with it as well.   The main surround speakers really never click off on a 5.1 DVD, however if you want to go beyond this to a 7.1 or 9.1 surround system I think the additional rear surrounds or front height/width speakers should be passive speakers to avoid the clicking on/off because these additional channels probably won't get enough of a signal for some scenes.  I got some Orb audio speakers (MOD 2) which look great with my B&O kit for this task.  Great little satellite speakers!

one of my original purposes for this thread is to give some actual user experience on a non B&O receiver.  Lots of suggestions to use them, and lots of people say they should work just fine with the pre-outs for the Beolabs, but almost no actual experiences with them posted!

• 03-07-2011 6:23 PM In reply to

macjonny1:

Haha that was a funny comment connecting your wires to a tree stump!  Big Smile

The Onkyo is working out well.  There are so many options and quite complicated I've only just begun to work with it.  The Beolabs are working great with it as well.   The main surround speakers really never click off on a 5.1 DVD, however if you want to go beyond this to a 7.1 or 9.1 surround system I think the additional rear surrounds or front height/width speakers should be passive speakers to avoid the clicking on/off because these additional channels probably won't get enough of a signal for some scenes.  I got some Orb audio speakers (MOD 2) which look great with my B&O kit for this task.  Great little satellite speakers!

one of my original purposes for this thread is to give some actual user experience on a non B&O receiver.  Lots of suggestions to use them, and lots of people say they should work just fine with the pre-outs for the Beolabs, but almost no actual experiences with them posted!

Is it true that onkyo zone 2 out is for analogue ONLY

• 03-07-2011 6:42 PM In reply to

Zone 2 is via RCA output

Page 2 of 3 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >