in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-08-2012 11:47 PM by Søren Mexico. 55 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (56 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-21-2011 8:28 AM

I gave up my B&O receiver (Beosystem) for an Onkyo!

I have had a Beosystem 1 receiver hooked up to my non B&O TV (samsung) for over a year now.   Unfortunately I don't have the funds necessary to purchase a B&O TV so I make do with what I can afford.  I suspect a lot of others would like to integrate their B&O speakers into a home theater but can't afford a B&O TV.  I have seen a few threads regarding people asking about non B&O receivers but none with actual experience, so here goes:

As stated, I had a Beosystem 1 hooked up to my Samsung TV, used only for audo switching.  The Beosystem outputs 1080i and I wanted to take advantage of my 1080p sources.    I had my PS3 for DVDs hooked up directly to the TV via HDMI and the audio out of the PS3 to the BS1.  This worked fine, but resulted in several remotes, etc.   I did have a Harmony remote to control it for a while but returned it as I didn't care for the format (too cumbersome as it was the 1100 series). 

My speakers that I am using are 2 BL8000s front, 2 BL6000s rear, B&W ASW850 sub, and a pair of BL3s for center.  I became increasingly disappointed from the sound coming from the BS1.  I wasn't able to change the center channel volume, and the only adjustments I was able to make were changing the volume of the fronts and rears.  Volume on the sub had to be done manually.  Music really never seemed that great and I wasn't able to set any kind of special equalizer settings for this, etc.

So.....I purchased a new 2010 version Onkyo TX-NR3008.  Now, this beast has everything I was looking for.  Tons of inputs.  HDMI 1.4a switching (I have a 63" Samsung 3D TV) for 3D pass through.  After hooking it up I realized the advantages of HDMI connections.   All the components talk with each other.  For example,  I have a Samsung 3D Blu-Ray and turning it on will turn on the TV, receiver, and change the source on the receiver.  Turning the receiver to a different source will pause the Blu-Ray automatically.  Turning the TV off will turn off the whole setup.  The Onkyo remote can control it all as well.   The Onkyo is also a learning remote and I actually taught the remote some of my Beolink commands so that I could control my light fixtures (LC1s connected to some lamps). 

The Onkyo comes with a mic that you use during a setup procedure in order to use a sound processing called Audessey.  Audessey corrects for speaker placement, acoustics, and size.  By placing the mic in different seating arrangements it will correct for these and make sure that everyone in the room gets great sound.  The difference before and after doing this was staggering.  I watched some movies and it was incredible how clear everything was.  Dialogue was up-front and the effects/sub were there when they needed to be and not overpowering when they shouldn't. 

Audessey also supports up to 9.2 channels (there are a huge number of other sound formats supported).  So, I added some rear back surrounds, and some front "height" channels.  I used some non-B&O passives for these.  I was limited to 5.1 with the BS1, and only to Dolby digital and DTS. 

Using the Onkyo with my B&O active speakers was quite easy as I just plugged them in to the pre-outs.  So far, the only downside that I have come across is that the speakers in the rear click off and on when the volume is low and there are scenes where not much info is happening in the background.   For most movies that I watch, this isn't an issue. 

Hopefully this will give some insight to others looking for a similar purchase!

• 02-21-2011 9:05 AM In reply to

Re: I gave up my B&O receiver (Beosystem) for an Onkyo!

Pleased you are happy. I am not surprised as the BeoSystem 1 was getting old and clearly lacked the adaptability of the Onkyo. How do you find the remote? Most other makes seem to have too many buttons and are plastic  which is one of the main things I would miss if I changed brands.

• 02-21-2011 9:11 AM In reply to

Doctor:

Pleased you are happy. I am not surprised as the BeoSystem 1 was getting old and clearly lacked the adaptability of the Onkyo. How do you find the remote? Most other makes seem to have too many buttons and are plastic  which is one of the main things I would miss if I changed brands.

I actually like the remote.  It is of course plastic, but I was never fond of the Beo4 really.  I like to actually see what my buttons (e.g., words on them) are doing and the backlight is nice.  I like the weight and heft of the Beo4 but that's about it.  I find that the buttons on the Onkyo remote are very well laid-out.

• 02-21-2011 10:04 AM In reply to

The problem I have with that sort of remote is that I cannot read the buttons without my glasses! And by the time I have found those, I have usually forgotten what I wanted the remote for!! Laughing

• 02-21-2011 10:55 AM In reply to

Doctor:

The problem I have with that sort of remote is that I cannot read the buttons without my glasses! And by the time I have found those, I have usually forgotten what I wanted the remote for!! Laughing

Same problem here, and with my reading glasses mounted i cant see the TV, and I have to find out why.

I bought an Onkyo TX-NR 708, and its set up with an LG 42", BG 5000, computer, Sky, blue ray, BL 8000 front and some noncoms back, it works ok, but for listening to the radio, vinyl and music CDs, I use my BM 2400, BG 2404 SMMC4, S45s, IMO better stereo sound better FM reception.

It may be that I am not able to ajust my Onkyo properly, but the manual lacs a lot, and I will have to surf the net every time I want to trim or do something special.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 02-21-2011 11:13 AM In reply to

Søren Mexico:

Same problem here, and with my reading glasses mounted i cant see the TV, and I have to find out why.

I bought an Onkyo TX-NR 708, and its set up with an LG 42", BG 5000, computer, Sky, blue ray, BL 8000 front and some noncoms back, it works ok, but for listening to the radio, vinyl and music CDs, I use my BM 2400, BG 2404 SMMC4, S45s, IMO better stereo sound better FM reception.

It may be that I am not able to ajust my Onkyo properly, but the manual lacs a lot, and I will have to surf the net every time I want to trim or do something special.

I'm guessing the FM stereo may well be better in the BM2400 but suspect the sound differences that cause you to prefer the BM2400 otherwise are due to not setting up the Onkyo properly.  It is a complicated machine and I have only just begun to explore all of the options.  Did you set it up for Audessey room correction yet for movies? 

The Onkyo isn't going to be easy-as-pie setup like a Beosystem, but that's because it can do many more things than even the BS3.

• 02-21-2011 11:22 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

The above is totally true - tons of content packed into that box!

I recently just installed an Onkyo TX-SR506 7.1 system in an SD/composite configuration for an old client. For integration, we used a Philips Prestigo remote which supports all the devices, has learning capabilities and macros...

I did the Audyssey measurement (takes forever!) but didn't really get a chance to listen afterwards. I am being invited over for a movie and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm still trying to figure out how the hell you change the speaker config. on this thing. It seems like the source button decides what comes out where but when I plugged in my ipod for a quick connection test it automatically started playing in 7.1!! Whacky... 

Evan

• 02-21-2011 11:43 AM In reply to

For music stereo sources just use the "music" button in the middle to cycle through speaker config, or just change it to "pure audio" on the receiver and you will get proper 2.1 or 2.2 channel playback. Just did this with my turntable and sonos. 

Also I did the Audessey and only did 3 placements (sitting positions) but it only took about 15min plus another few for the calculations.  Does up to 8 seatings.

• 02-21-2011 12:10 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

15 minutes is a long time when you are sitting perfectly still and silent!! Laughing

I had no idea they could do eight...

When I set it up it asked for exact center then left then right, or something like that.

Evan

• 02-21-2011 12:14 PM In reply to

There may be a difference with my receiver and yours...as far as the # of seating positions.  In between positions during the testing  I had to run upstairs and tell my kids to "BE QUIET!"  Big Smile 

• 02-22-2011 2:11 AM In reply to

Oh I almost forgot to mention that I was able to purchase some powerlink to male RCA adapters from soundsheavenly.com.  I had run powerlink cables to all the speakers (fortunately one indicidual wire to each speaker from the receiver for surround).  Each end needed a powerlink-RCA adapter. 

• 02-22-2011 9:03 AM In reply to

I see from your post in the Beogram 3000 thread that you seem to be gravitating to the realisation that B&O led the world in the late sixties and early seventies and have been slipping since! A number of us would appear to have come to same conclusion!

• 02-22-2011 11:11 AM In reply to

Doctor:

I see from your post in the Beogram 3000 thread that you seem to be gravitating to the realisation that B&O led the world in the late sixties and early seventies and have been slipping since! A number of us would appear to have come to same conclusion!

I do have a fondness more for the vintage systems.   My favorite is my Beolab 5000 system by far.  I also enjoy my BC9500. 

I don't have much use for the ultra expensive TVs but the speakers have always been pretty good.  I like my BL8000 and BL3s for "newer" lines. 

For those thinking of adding a 7.2. or 9.2 surround receiver, I would really recommend going with passive speakers for anything more than the 5 channel surrounds.  I think the additional REAR surround or  height speakers are best as smaller speakers and could turn off more frequently due to lack of signal.  Passives are perfect for these channels as they will always be on.

• 02-22-2011 12:30 PM In reply to

I have a BS1 powering up two front RL 6000 through a beolink passive amp and another amp for two S45-2 in rear. I use a BL4000 for the center and you are right, the centre cahnnel i cannot control the volume.

I do have a beovox cona powered by a seperate beolink passive amp. The system is primarily for audio and my samsung 3d tv gets the video from ps3/roku etc directly through an HDMI.

I have felt myself wanting on the surround processing and certainly on video from BS1. At this point not sure if I want to remove the BS1 from the setup and buy a surroound processor like the one you got...would appreciate your inputs on why I should or not.

Beovox RL 60.2, RL 6000, S45-2, CX 50, Cona, Beolink Passive, MCL2P, BM4500, Beosound 1, Beocenter 2500, Beolab 2500, Besound 4000, Beolab 4000, Beocom 6000, A8, Beosystem 1

• 02-22-2011 12:38 PM In reply to

The powerlink to RCA powering the amp or active B&O speakers, I am assuming was capable of switching them "ON" when ever you powered the recevier ON. In my set-up I have passive speakers powered by individual B&O amps. I was not sure if I go your route and replace the BS1 with any Onkyo would i be able to control those amps? to atleast switch them ON with the system.

Would you suggest any other non B&O reciver which is little less espensive than the one you got but better than the BS1

Beovox RL 60.2, RL 6000, S45-2, CX 50, Cona, Beolink Passive, MCL2P, BM4500, Beosound 1, Beocenter 2500, Beolab 2500, Besound 4000, Beolab 4000, Beocom 6000, A8, Beosystem 1

• 02-22-2011 12:46 PM In reply to

Hello!  I would get rid of the BS1 promptly.  You could ebay it for prob USA $400 or so, maybe more if in really good condition, if you include the IR eye and remote. 

You could buy a really nice Onkyo (mine was $1149 on amazon) or even the NR-1008 or NR-808 (7.2 channel), and there are other models too with preouts  for not much more and you will be much better off.  These have HDMI 1.4a so you can send your 3D player and it will pass the 3D signal through.  So nice to have ONE HDMI cable going to the TV.  You will connect the optical audio out of your samsung to the receiver for audio return. 

You will just connect your BL 6000s to the preouts of the Onkyo, and may need adapters depending on your situation.  What cables do you have going to the BL 6000s?  If they are powerlink then you will just need powerlink to RCA adapters through soundsheavenly (one on both ends).  The S45s would connect to the amplifier outputs of the Onkyo, and you can sell your Beolink passives for more $$$$ there!  Finally, I would ditch the cona as the Onkyo won't support a passive subwoofer (maybe I'm wrong here).  That's another beolink passive amp to sell for more $$$$.  Then you can sell your cona if you aren't attached to it for more $$$$ and buy a powered sub that will outperform it.  Cona goes down to 40Hz....you can do way better here for surround sound.  It's a nice vintage conversation piece but if you are serious about a nice surround experience you will ditch it promptly.

Heck....you could end up making money here!  Big Smile

• 02-22-2011 1:21 PM In reply to

Just a couple of quick thoughts as you both have used BS1's w/ non B&o panels.

(I run two BS1's w/ BV4's as well as a non B&o room that uses a Denon AV receiver and a Panny plasma).

Discounting the BS3... the only reason I would have a BS1 in the house is to run a BV4 panel.

Otherwise, as you both are working out -there is really not much use for them.

That Onkyo piece is amazing. My eyes went crooked looking at/reading the online manual regarding connectivity!

Regarding Sodoi specifically: I would definitely consider macjohnny's advice re: this receiver or something similar in your particular situation. To clarify, I understand you have RL not BL 6000 -so they are passive similar to your S45's. By using the Onkyo or similar, you can eliminate the MCL2P's for these speakers as they will be driven directly by the receiver. The Cona will still require the MCL2P as the feed from the Onkyo is indeed line level. As macjohnny suggested -I'd probably ditch the Cona/MCL2P as well and look for a powered sub -Mirage or similar.

I think this would relieve you of what has become a rather complicated, strung together system and instead provide you with something that I believe you would be much happier with, though the B&o content has decreased!

Just my .02 cents! Smile

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-22-2011 2:00 PM In reply to

burantek:

Just a couple of quick thoughts as you both have used BS1's w/ non B&o panels.

(I run two BS1's w/ BV4's as well as a non B&o room that uses a Denon AV receiver and a Panny plasma).

Discounting the BS3... the only reason I would have a BS1 in the house is to run a BV4 panel.

Otherwise, as you both are working out -there is really not much use for them.

That Onkyo piece is amazing. My eyes went crooked looking at/reading the online manual regarding connectivity!

Regarding Sodoi specifically: I would definitely consider macjohnny's advice re: this receiver or something similar in your particular situation. To clarify, I understand you have RL not BL 6000 -so they are passive similar to your S45's. By using the Onkyo or similar, you can eliminate the MCL2P's for these speakers as they will be driven directly by the receiver. The Cona will still require the MCL2P as the feed from the Onkyo is indeed line level. As macjohhny suggested -I'd probably ditch the Cona/MCL2P as well and look for a powered sub -Mirage or similar.

I think this would relieve you of what has become a rather complicated, strung together system and instead provide you with something I believe that you would be much happier with, though the B&o content has decreased!

Just my .02 cents! Smile

Oh I read that wrong!  RL6000 vs the BL6000.  That makes things even easier for you.  Definitely get rid of the franken-B&O system.  I was trying to maintain a B&O receiver but that was because I was using Beolabs.  100% agree with this advise above.

• 02-22-2011 4:00 PM In reply to

Great advise.

I was not aware that the Onkyo receivers did not need any external amps. Hell there are at least 3 extra B&O amps in my setup which seems like i can get rid of..execept for the Cona which as I understand the Onkyo will not power and needs a active subwoofer.

Pleae suggest some onkyo models to power up and play the RL 6000, S45-2 and the Cona appropriately to the fullest extent..I do love the B&O speakers very much to change them.

Does TX-NR808 Onkyo will meet my needs of powering the 5.1 - Cona would need its own apmlifier I guess - any comments on this unit

Another one is the TX-NR708 - other than the total watts per channel ( 135 for 808 and 115 for 708)what else is the difference, i could nto see any. Ofcourse the 708 is cheaper than 808. The RL 6000 and S45-2 are certainly below 100 watts and labeled as 8 ohms

I thought the onkyo were just processors like the BS1 and needed the external amps

Thanks

• 02-22-2011 4:17 PM In reply to

First decide if 9.2 vs. 7.2 channels is important to you.  THen, go to onkyo usa website and you can compare receivers.  I would compare the 3008 that I have and go down through the 1008, 808, 708.   Stick with one of those.  You can use the compare tool to see what features are important to you.  Check amazon for pricing.  The 3008 I have is $1149 and that goes down to $579 for the 708. 

• 02-22-2011 4:24 PM In reply to

Looks like you just convinced me to get rid of BS1 and bunch of B&O amps. My only concern is will the B&O speakers I have the RL 6000 and S45- will sound same if not better when powered with Onkyo

• 02-22-2011 4:35 PM In reply to

The Onkyo will trounce those little beolink passives! The Onkyo was made for pushing passive speakers....your BS1 wasn't even though you are using passive amps

• 02-22-2011 4:59 PM In reply to

Thanks.

There is one more Onkyo SR 608. Why would I not consider this at all. I do want at least the 708 but was just curious why you noted in your post to stick with 1008, 808 or 708

• 02-22-2011 5:12 PM In reply to

The 608 doesn't have multi-channel pre-outs so you would never be able to run anything but passive speakers if you wanted to.   I would get the 708 for more flexibility

• 02-23-2011 9:39 AM In reply to

In my current set-up BS1 has a ML input from living room Beosound 4000. It is setup using a beolink wireless.

If I change the BS1 with the Onkyo is there a away I can still get living room ML/PL input using the beolink wireless. The BW1 has both ML and PL outputs. I am hoping that If I can connect the PL to RCA into Onkyo 708 and that way play my CD/Tape/Radio from the living room beosound 4000. Again, the PL to RCA into 708 should be able to power-up when the its activated...seems almost not do-able.

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 (56 items) 1 2 3 Next >