in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-28-2012 7:24 PM by Eugene. 523 replies.
Page 16 of 21 (524 items) « First ... < Previous 14 15 16 17 18 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-27-2011 11:15 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

Re: What Are You Working On Now ?

Leslie,

Exquisite, I think is the correct word!

I'd like to find a pair of CX100's, but so far I've not been successful in Israel. Shipping and duties from outside make importing quite uneconomical.

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 09-27-2011 11:52 AM In reply to

Jeff:

Absolutely gorgeous, great job! I keep an eye out for these but so far have only managed to score the one pair of CX50's in white. Grills are fine, but I had to refoam and need to do the stripes.

The bare aluminum looks great, did you spray it with clear coat or anything?

Thank you Jeff. I left the aluminium bare as it is. Tried to spray it with clear coating but that became messy and looked unnatural.

Same for the stripes. Next time I'm gonna spray the stripes with clear coating.

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 09-27-2011 12:01 PM In reply to

yachadm:

Leslie,

Exquisite, I think is the correct word!

I'd like to find a pair of CX100's, but so far I've not been successful in Israel. Shipping and duties from outside make importing quite uneconomical.

Menahem

Great to hear from you Menahem and thanks. I have been admiring your work for a long time but unfortanetely I'm not able to mingle in these kind of discussions. Out of my knowledgeSad

I have 7 pairs of CX100's and about 8 pairs of CX50's collected and refurbished over the last 2 years. Now it's time to sell and/or exchange them. Pitty you're import fees/taxes are high.

Beovirus? What's that?

• 09-28-2011 12:01 PM In reply to

Got my BM 4000 yesterday checked and its working, will open for cleaning and checking for parts, will buy caps and lamps from Martin

Thread here

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 09-28-2011 10:32 PM In reply to

I do about 1 set a year Leslie. My most recent pickup was a white set of CX-100. te cabinets are fine and the drivers are still intact but definatly in need of refoam. The pricing here is a real crap shoot.

the best deals are always for the black pairs. In my case with both set I have refurbed I stripped off all the black paint in sanded polished the aluminum back.

the whites I intend to keep white.

• 10-07-2011 6:52 PM In reply to

Leslie:
    I left the aluminium bare as it is. Tried to spray it with clear coating but that became messy and looked unnatural.

The problem is, if you leave the aluminum bare it will not continue to look good...you'll need to 'harden' the surface (as B&O does).
    Well -you can not do it as they do in the factory Wink But -the solution for amateurs is...sodium hydroxide.

I once bought a set of badly damaged alu C 30's with lots of scratches. I sanded the surfaces and afterwards i gave it some "Caustic Soda" dissolved in water (Sodium hydroxide) to harden the surface. It looks very close to the original finish. I think it's better than some clear lacquer.

• 10-08-2011 10:06 AM In reply to

Steffen:

Leslie:
    I left the aluminium bare as it is. Tried to spray it with clear coating but that became messy and looked unnatural.

The problem is, if you leave the aluminum bare it will not continue to look good...you'll need to 'harden' the surface (as B&O does).
    Well -you can not do it as they do in the factory Wink But -the solution for amateurs is...sodium hydroxide.

I once bought a set of badly damaged alu C 30's with lots of scratches. I sanded the surfaces and afterwards i gave it some "Caustic Soda" dissolved in water (Sodium hydroxide) to harden the surface. It looks very close to the original finish. I think it's better than some clear lacquer.

Thanks Steffen for the tip. I have made some alum. base (feet) for my Beovox replica's and polished them about 3 months ago and they still look great. Also for my Grundig tweeters which you can see on the background. They look fantastic...

Beovirus? What's that?

• 10-08-2011 4:04 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Nice work!!!

Best regards

Spiros

• 10-08-2011 4:13 PM In reply to

Steffen:
    But -the solution for amateurs is...sodium hydroxide.

Steffen, does the polished aluminium stays bling bling when I use this caustic soda stuff. What's your exeperience? Never knew you have this soda in almost each household.

Beovirus? What's that?

• 10-08-2011 4:27 PM In reply to

Leslie:

Steffen:

Steffen, does the polished aluminium stays bling bling when I use this caustic soda stuff. What's your exeperience? Never knew you have this soda in almost each household.

And how do you mix it ?

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 10-08-2011 4:37 PM In reply to

Søren Mexico:

Leslie:

Steffen:

And how do you mix it ?

And how long does it has to stay in? Seen some videos on youtube what you can do with it.

Beovirus? What's that?

• 10-08-2011 7:34 PM In reply to

My experience is, that "raw" aluminum is very sensitive to fingerprints etc.

When you use sodium-hydroxide it will not stay bling-bling (if you by this mean "shiny"). The surface becomes a little more "white" - like the brushed aluminum surfaces on the "old" B&O -like the Beocenter 9000 and BeoSystem 5500 etc.
    When I sanded my speakers they became more shiny than the original finish - after the sodium-hydroxide they look more like the original.

I once made a new alu-plate for the dust-cover of a Beogram 5500. I bought a thin alu-plate, sanded it and put it in a sodium-hydroxide solution for just a few minutes.
    Actually - I don't have an excact recipe...I just pour some water in a tub and then I put some caustic soda in, and then it must be stirred (not shaken) Wink - till it's dissolved.

In case of the speakers, I dipped a cloth in the solution and gently rubbed the surface for a few minutes, untill it looked right.
    BE CAREFULL - use rubber gloves and eye protection! 
    Finally you rinse with water and wipe the surface with a piece of dry cloth. Voila!

I've seen some of the videos on YouTube - Don't try this at home, kids Laughing

• 10-09-2011 12:57 AM In reply to

When anodizing aluminum, the only time you use caustic soda is when you have old pieces already anodized, you use the caustic soda to strip the surface down to raw alu, thereafter you anodize. What you get after inmersing in caustic soda is raw alu which wil oxidize, starting immediatly with contact to air, the oxide will give a "whiter" look and the oxide will also, to some grade, seal the surface, but any liquid like coke or beer will penetrate the surface and accelerate the oxidation and give a "whiter" area, and after years the aluminum, like iron, will disappear and all what's left is the oxide. The surface can be protected to some grade with wachs, Pledge or some oil, but it will continue oxiding.

Anodizing closes all pores in the material and hardens the surface, making it withstand all not acid liquids and to some grade scratch resistant.

Sorry Steffen, when I read your reply, it triggered something I learned long time ago and I had to do some homework.

What B&O do with aluminum is something amazing and is known throughout the world as one of the best, they are now experimenting with a way to make a totally white (without dyes) aluminum   

• 10-09-2011 3:41 AM In reply to

Thank you both for explaining, very interesting to read. With "bling bling" I mean shiny, that's right! I think I leave it that way and I don't mind the finger prints as long as I can wipe it off. It's like an IphoneSmile

Beovirus? What's that?

• 10-09-2011 4:06 AM In reply to

Leslie:

Thank you both for explaining, very interesting to read. With "bling bling" I mean shiny, that's right! I think I leave it that way and I don't mind the finger prints as long as I can wipe it off. It's like an IphoneSmile

I have made good results with marine grade poly urethane varnish, it more stable in color (cheap ones gets yellow), but you dont find it in spray cans, so you will have to use a spray gun, just before spaying, a light polish and wipe of with acetone, spray 2-3 layers, polish before each layer, use cotton gloves to handle.

• 10-10-2011 5:31 PM In reply to

Thank you for your explanation, Søren.
    However - I have to tell that I learned this (sodium hydroxide thing) when I was a teenager, following a electronics course. (As you say -the oxidation protects the surface).
    Here I build my first amplifier -japanese style -with an aluminum frontplate and lots of knobs and buttons.
    I sanded an aluminum plate and treated the surface as mentioned earlier in this thread. I still have it -and the aluminum still looks good. 
    Now -many years later - neither the oxidation, nor the aluminum is gone Wink

I must add...I have not tried to pour beer or cola over it LaughingWhistle

• 10-15-2011 4:31 PM In reply to

Steffen, As Einstein truly remarked "All is relative", so is time, in 100 years your alu is gone, but so will your Jap. amp. be.Laughing

Take a look at how Leslie do his refurb, perfect until the last detail, he will not be happy with "only" caustic soda treatment.Big Smile

And I will try caustic soda on a pair of items, just to see how it comes out, also over time.

• 10-15-2011 4:35 PM In reply to

At the moment I'm working hard on my siesta, after that I have to open my BM 2400 again, it came back with the old failure, changing channels by itself, and after doing that for one or 2 hours  it turned of.

• 10-15-2011 8:44 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Søren Mexico:

and after doing that for one or 2 hours it turned of.

You just let your BeoMaster do what it wants? Laughing

BM2400: "Well, it doesn't seem like anything good is on, I think I'll just go to sleep." (Click)

Evan

• 10-15-2011 10:11 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Just got done with my calculus home work, now going to try and make some progress on my headphone amp pcbs.

Evan

• 10-17-2011 5:24 AM In reply to

• Paul
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 10-07-2010
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 103
    • Gold Member

Sanded an awfull painted set of CX50 in high gloss black and sprayed in matt black. As finishing touch, I dusted with metalic flakes. As an experiment I recloth the speakergrills.  I have an extra grill set with new reproduction black cloth.

What do you think of the cloth in black&silver? 

• 10-21-2011 10:31 AM In reply to

Restored my Grundig tweeters from which I have made the aluminium base and connected this pair with the bassbox to my Beocenter BC9000. Great sound!

Beovirus? What's that?

• 10-21-2011 10:38 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Leslie,

Those. Are. Stunning!!

Evan

• 10-21-2011 10:49 AM In reply to

They are Evan, to be honest, I like them more than the Beovox 2500

Beovirus? What's that?

• 10-21-2011 1:37 PM In reply to

Eugenio Colazzo

Page 16 of 21 (524 items) « First ... < Previous 14 15 16 17 18 Next > ... Last »