in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-05-2010 3:24 PM by ed7. 82 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-29-2010 9:57 AM In reply to

Re: Austerity measures!!

Just checked the price at one of our major stores here in the USA. The latest 55 inch 240 HZ Samsung has a suggested price of $5999 compared to a BV7-55 at something like $12,000 without the BluRay. So, for twice the price of the Samsung marvel one can get the Samsung panel with all of B and O's extras. 

Farewell Austerity Thread and myths of B and O being overpriced.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 11-29-2010 1:02 PM In reply to

Fair enough.

I guess in the long run B&O's quality will shine through.

Plus the design of the samsung's is pretty horrid.

• 11-29-2010 1:30 PM In reply to

i think the answer is simple. if you're dissatisfied with b&o then don't buy it. i've decided that for me...i just don't get enough bang for my bucks so to speak so for the next five plus years i am not setting foot in another b&o store. simple. when i think they have come out with something that i think is exceptional then i'll reconsider shelling out my hard earnt cash.

as for b&o's future i sincerely hope they don't go bust. i don't think they will. they have survived for 85 years and have got through quite a few recessions.

• 11-29-2010 1:32 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

I hope they're steer through and hopefully more products for the champagne supping class I'm in will help me buy more too Stick out tongue

• 11-29-2010 2:48 PM In reply to

If B&O is too expensive your income is wrong! Cool

Krises come and go but B&O will always be here!

Can you say that when you are 85 years old?

• 11-29-2010 3:02 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Exactly....85 years and they still here! I think people should be more supportive of B&O instead of tearing them down, after all this is what Beoworld is for. I have found Beoworld to be very negative lately. Its all about whats wrong with B&O first then maybe something positive. It doesn't help B&O and doesn't help the members.

I love B&O and always will!!  

Durban South Africa

• 11-29-2010 3:08 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

We all love B&O, but just saying everything is fine will do nobody and good especially B&O. As for it being a question of money, compared to some of my Linn gear, B&O is quite budget.

"A fool and his money are easily parted" as the saying goes !

The Beosound 8. The best, and well worth £900

My 6 year old 28 inch RF Avant, still amazes us and in its day was the best TV on the planet(B&O)

My new A8 earphones not only look amazing but sound it too. A B&O trait.

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 11-29-2010 4:08 PM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

"You have a method of putting words in people mouthsWhistle,yes i do not like B&O  owned two tvs& music system over a period 14 years ,my answer to you whatever have a nice day Big Smile"

In other words, this whole thread was about you wanting to start a bunch of crap.  How mature. 

• 11-29-2010 4:14 PM In reply to

• pf85
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

This thread is quite interesting.

In intervals, the General Forum deals with different threads like

"is there quality enough for money in B&O"

"how much overpriced Philips is inside B&O

"Beosound 5 - Bang&Olufsen's big mistake"

Well, pattern is always the same. Frustration takes its course, someone declares to stop buying B&O and then the thread fires up.

We are in a great world of "free to choose", there are always those who like B&O products - for many different reasons than price... and then there are those who feel that they made a bad financial investment when comparing with Korean and Japanese two year life cycle products.

Although most of these threads are interesting to read, I sometimes miss the passion for the brand. Despite all its shortcomings...

• 11-29-2010 4:21 PM In reply to

The tittle of this thread says everything: "Austerity measures".

Well obviously somebody who needs to take a decision to make "austerity measures" should not buy B&O or any electronic device for that matter. Then when income level is re-establish start again to dream about your next B&O, Samsung, Linn or whatever electronic you want.

In the meantime it would be a good idea to be a little bit more suppportive of the brand you seem to like so badly.

Yes B&O IS expensive and it has always been and my best guess it will always be. Not everybody can afford it and is OK since is not something that you need for survival for Christ sake is an indulgence.

I don't see Ferrari, Bentley, Louis Vuitton etc. launching an affordable line for the masses you know why because it would be then a Fiat, a VW and a Samsonite. Nothing bad with this brands but some people want more and can afford more, that's it.

You want reliable, last technology, better than average finish, safety, excellent warranty and affordable buy a HYUNDAI.

You want exclusive, unreliable, neither the last technology nor the best performance, hand made, average warranty, expensive maintenance and expensive everything in general but very stylish buy a FERRARI or ASTON MARTIN.

Now if you can afford it which one would you buy?. You see people have different tastes and different budgets. Probably Warren Buffet will buy the HYNDAI and Paris Hilton will buy the ASTON none of them are poor but we now who is richer.

Last but not least probably you need to make a big effort to buy B&O and that is something that deserve a lot of respect BUT I assure you that arriving to your home and watch your B&O stuff will give you much more pleasure than many other cheap plastic surrounded electronic brands and that is kind of priceless.

So in my humble opinion don't sell one of your kids to buy B&O but hold your purchase of something else, save and then enjoy it. It is worth it. Yeah probably B&O is not the last technology, but honestly I can't think of a better A/V brand in general.

• 11-29-2010 4:34 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Razlaw:

Just checked the price at one of our major stores here in the USA. The latest 55 inch 240 HZ Samsung has a suggested price of $5999 compared to a BV7-55 at something like $12,000 without the BluRay. So, for twice the price of the Samsung marvel one can get the Samsung panel with all of B and O's extras. 

It also has to be said that the Samsung is incredibly well featured, is actually very good looking (and some would say make the BV7-55 look large, clumsy & dated) and has one or two quite innovative features. It also comes with speakersLaughing (admittedly not very good).

A quote from a Techradar review - "Arguably more than any TV before - including stuff from the likes of Loewe and B&O - the UE55C9000 is more an objet d’art than a TV, wearing innovation, opulence and 'because we can' bravado out there on its gleaming, frankly unbelievably thin sleeve".

I'm not saying they're right but it is yet another warning shot across the bows, whereby updating designs such as the BV7 over a period of years may not be enough to maintain their leading edge.

You pays yer money and you makes yer choice.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 11-29-2010 5:01 PM In reply to

Puncher:

Razlaw:

It also has to be said that the Samsung is incredibly well featured, is actually very good looking (and some would say make the BV7-55 look large, clumsy & dated) and has one or two quite innovative features. It also comes with speakersLaughing (admittedly not very good).

You pays yer money and you makes yer choice.

I have seen it in person. The only innovative or distintive is it has 3D (not a big deal in my humble opinion). Admitedly is razor thin but it is said that it has a tendency to bend in the corners because of this thiness and it has a stainless steel bezel (very nice, I wonder where they got that from). Then the sound is a joke. The remote control is very low quality plastic and off course it doesn't have any type of surround sound processing or projector control for that matter. Ahh one more thing, you can not hang it on a wall or remove it from the horrible pedestal it comes with because all the connections are located in it (cable gallore).

Admitedly, compared to the others LGs, Sonys, Samsungs, Pioneers that you find in any Best Buyish store, it looks much better than them. Still a long, long, long way to the B&Os and even the LOEWES of this world.

A purchasing decision sometimes is not easy specially when you are not comparing apples with apples.  I can understand a Sony vs. a Samsung or vs. a Pioneer. But honestly B&O is a diffferent kind of fruit.

• 11-29-2010 5:25 PM In reply to

This thread has really got me thinking. Maybe B&O is not so good! Maybe I've been lying to myself all these years. Maybe the other high-end brands that use their amplifiers like Meridian and B&W are also stupid! Maybe the brands that copy their design are dumb as well! Maybe the hundreds of thousands of customers who've bought B&O over the years are fools! Maybe people get rich from being uncommonly stupid and not uncommonly smart! Maybe being able to update my facebook status on my TV makes it cutting edge! Maybe it doesn't matter how accurate colors are or how smoothly motion is rendered! Maybe $6 worth of speaker hardware is enough! Maybe using one remote for everything is ridiculous! Maybe I shouldn't even bother with a projector! Maybe I shouldn't aspire to anything beyond what I can currently afford!

I've really got a lot to think about.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 11-29-2010 6:12 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

symmes:

"You have a method of putting words in people mouthsWhistle,yes i do not like B&O  owned two tvs& music system over a period 14 years ,my answer to you whatever have a nice day Big Smile"

In other words, this whole thread was about you wanting to start a bunch of crap.  How mature. 

That goes to you too Whistle

In the UK they say you are full of itWhistle

• 11-29-2010 7:03 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:

This thread has really got me thinking. Maybe B&O is not so good! Maybe I've been lying to myself all these years. Maybe the other high-end brands that use their amplifiers like Meridian and B&W are also stupid! Maybe the brands that copy their design are dumb as well! Maybe the hundreds of thousands of customers who've bought B&O over the years are fools! Maybe people get rich from being uncommonly stupid and not uncommonly smart! Maybe being able to update my facebook status on my TV makes it cutting edge! Maybe it doesn't matter how accurate colors are or how smoothly motion is rendered! Maybe $6 worth of speaker hardware is enough! Maybe using one remote for everything is ridiculous! Maybe I shouldn't even bother with a projector! Maybe I shouldn't aspire to anything beyond what I can currently afford!

Agree 100%

That is the fools trap of many of the other brands, fill the device with many forgettable features, make it fast, forget about quality and finishes, change it very often so people HAVE to buy a new one every year and make it "affordable".

In the other hand you can have "real" features and "real" quality. 

In other words lets try averaging up not down. Lets applaud B&O for thinking different even if sometimes they are wrong. 

• 11-29-2010 10:53 PM In reply to

Check the number of danish homes that had a BeoVision in their living room in 1990.

And check this number again nowadays.

You'll know where B&O is going..Surprise

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 11-30-2010 1:43 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:

LOL damn right!!!!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 11-30-2010 2:35 AM In reply to

I'd agree but having 2 spare hdmi's on a tv is just plain stupid.

All tv's these days have at least 4 available , the rest of the specs don't really matter too much. Connecting stuff up easily does though. Especially now with the dawn of the internet integration age. ; apple tv , mac mini etc etc

This is where B&O fall down.

• 11-30-2010 5:42 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

TripEnglish:

Same old Trip - as helpful, contstructive and informative as always! I could argue but why bother, you are of course correct - the Samsung is cr4p with little technological worth........it is also likely to be the heart of next years BV7, after Samsung haved moved onto something else.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 11-30-2010 6:49 AM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:

TripEnglish:

Same old Trip - as helpful, contstructive and informative as always! I could argue but why bother, you are of course correct - the Samsung is cr4p with little technological worth........it is also likely to be the heart of next years BV7, after Samsung haved moved onto something else.

Well said puncherBig Smile, now a boxer too !!SurpriseBig SmileBig Smile

• 11-30-2010 7:42 AM In reply to

I bought B&O shares after their value had crashed, they'd had a rights issue, and dividends were suspended. The original shareholders who were used to 25% dividends year on year must have been devastated: no dividends and the share price down 90%! As for my investment: it's down a further 24%.Sad

(I've always had a few shares in makers of products I like: thankfully the Apple share price moved up faster than B&O moved down!)Smile

Graham

EDIT

Do you lose more by buying B&O shares or by buying B&O products Hmm

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 11-30-2010 7:54 AM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

vikinger:

I bought B&O shares after their value had crashed, they'd had a rights issue, and dividends were suspended. The original shareholders who were used to 25% dividends year on year must have been devastated: no dividends and the share price down 90%! As for my investment: it's down a further 24%.Sad

(I've always had a few shares in makers of products I like: thankfully the Apple share price moved up faster than B&O moved down!)Smile

Graham

B&O have many brilliant designs and inventions one  of which i am really fond off is ice power,i hope for their fans sake come -up with more brilliance and not bury their head in the sand,especially in these tough time(so called austerity) .

• 11-30-2010 8:48 AM In reply to

My B&O shares are still doing quite nicely as a whole (I bought the first batch too early, though).

The way the world is going, it won't take long though. After Greece and Ireland, I'm now just eagerly awaiting for Portugal, Spain and Italy to collapse as well, so I can send the rest of my money over there.

-mika

• 11-30-2010 9:02 AM In reply to

Their TVs will no doubt have an appeal to existing  owners of B & O equipment.

The question is,do they appeal to people who don't own B & O equipment,and are in the market for a premium TV.

Subsequent to the demise of Fujitsu,and Pioneer,TVs,the only alternative to B & O,for premium LCD TVs,is Loewe.

Whether B & O,or Loewe,a fundamental point to consider is that LCD is still not a mature technology,and,despite their best efforts,manufacturers have not eliminated the problems with motion handling,and to a lesser extent,uneven backlighting.

Therefore,one has to ask is it worth buying a premium LCD TV,the core of which is a technology that is still evolving.

• 11-30-2010 9:26 AM In reply to

Puncher:

I'm not sure you could argue. I haven't seen it happen successfully yet. Of course Samsung will be the panels we use. Then we'll add a surround sound processor. Then we'll add video processing. Then we'll add integrated projector support. Then we'll add a PUC to control attached peripherals. Then we'll add a blu-ray player. Then we'll add a 750watt sound system. Then we'll add special anti-glare front glass. Then we'll add hand-machined aluminum. Then we'll add a silent motorized stand or bracket. Then we'll add a masterlink socket. Then we'll add an audio system that plugs into it with a single cable for a completely integrated AV system. Then we'll add a network of sound & video products to link up from elsewhere in the home. Then we'll offer an automation interface to integrate lighting, shades, and temperature. Then we'll add an iPhone app to run it. Then we'll add a 3-year warranty. Then we'll inspire a forum where people can complain about it. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

Page 2 of 4 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >