in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-05-2010 3:24 PM by ed7. 82 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (83 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-28-2010 8:46 AM

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

Austerity measures!!

Can B&O also their dealers survive in this global times??, have they done too little too late in catching-up with the technology& what customers want,i see lots of examples of product in secondhand dealers/e-bay fraction of the price and not that old does not inspire me to buy it at all even it is perceived as a bargain am i the only one feels like this???ConfusedErmUnsure

• 11-28-2010 9:25 AM In reply to

Re: Austerity measures!!

The way they're going , I don't give B&O long . Their prices are one problem but their product limitations don't help either.

One of my friends was thinking of buying a pair of beolab 3's for his samsung tv but they only connect in stereo and require a b & o tv to work in surround , a massive outlay , but after doing a bit of research he was able to buy an entire denon / b & w av system for the cost of just these speakers alone. 

They simply have fallen so far behind their competition technically it's a joke. Look at the 7 , only 2 hdmi's free on a £7k tv ? What if I want to connect an apple tv , a mac mini and a sky box - I have to buy an hdmi extender ?

Ridiculous. They really have got to get their act together , and quick.

• 11-28-2010 10:29 AM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

This saying comes to mindSuper Angry

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time. Abraham Lincoln, (attributed)
    16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

It is a shame really i enjoyed their products at one time and paid the FULL asking price too also i was very protective & proud of the brand too ,not nowStick out tongue

• 11-28-2010 1:35 PM In reply to

Are you saying that those of us who enjoy, appreciate and buy current B and O products are fools?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 11-28-2010 1:56 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

I think what B&O has done is pull away from the lower middle earning classes in their sense of product pricing as well as the bespoke instillations that dealers would preffer to go for, just for the guaranteed income from.

The tough times haven't helped the middle ground where they've stood still income wise, and the cost of the B&O products have risen more in comparison leaving more out of reach. Consiquently I'm spending my money on 2nd hand versions and not new B&O items.

For the chattering rich who spend their time flicking through magazines and having lunch, am sure they're earning more than ever before and have no problems with the ever increasing exclusivity B&O prices are commanding.

Such is the way of the world Indifferent

• 11-28-2010 2:06 PM In reply to

You're exactly right. The middle class is taking a breather until the economy reestablishes some feeling of safety and predictability. Once that happens I wouldn't be surprised to see more affordable offerings. In the mean time we're not going to build something for which there is no sound business case. That truly would lead to our demise. The only point I would argue is that the rich are somehow idle and silly. While there are certainly trust-fund babies here and there, the majority of wealth is earned by very serious people. In over 10 years I've only met a handful of people who meet your description. The rest have earned their money and are enjoying the fruits of their labor.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 11-28-2010 2:11 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:

Are you saying that those of us who enjoy, appreciate and buy current B and O products are fools?

NO,NO,NO

• 11-28-2010 2:22 PM In reply to

benjnz:

The tough times haven't helped the middle ground where they've stood still income wise, and the cost of the B&O products have risen more in comparison leaving more out of reach. 

In 2000 we purchased a a 32 inch Avant at a price of $8,500. This month, 10 years later we purchased a 40 in Beovision 10-40 with a motorized stand for less than $8,000. Try to buy a 2010 car for less than a comparable 2000 model, I do not think it is possible. 2010 Audis and Cadillacs are far more expensive than the Audis and Cadillacs we had in 2000.

I recognized the 10-40 may lack some features of an Avant but it also has many features not present in the Avant.

• 11-28-2010 2:31 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

The difference the avant if you like was the rolls Royce of the tellys you can not say the same  about newer tvs,also the difference between brands then was x3 now more than x5 also not up to date !!,i have seen an advert for 50 inch samsung 3d less than £1000 today!!,i have no wish or desire to acquire 3d tv but just an example!!

• 11-28-2010 2:57 PM In reply to

ed7:

The difference the avant if you like was the rolls Royce of the tellys you can not say the same  about newer tvs,also the difference between brands then was x3 now more than x5 also not up to date !!,i have seen an advert for 50 inch samsung 3d less than £1000 today!!,i have no wish or desire to acquire 3d tv but just an example!!

You forgot to add "It's my personal opinion that..."

The TVs perform at higher levels and with more features than did the Avant. If you don't like them, that's a matter of opinion. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 11-28-2010 3:07 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

HI Trip , i do like the tvs in-fact i did buy one 7-32 but sold it, i did not think was good enough!!,I am in a better position financially now than ever was before but i feel the b&o  product some of them are really dated for the sums of money required to purchase it,when i see the 7-32 at £2500 is less than half the money i paid for it in lifestyle or other website still does not make me go and buy one !!

• 11-28-2010 3:14 PM In reply to

That's fine! It takes all kinds to make a world. I'm just a stickler for conflating opinions with facts. I'd make a lousy politician!

There's no question that we're in a consumer electronics renaissance and even some second-rate offerings are dazzling. So it's understandable that, price aside, the idea of committing to a single solution for a long period of time is not as appealing to some as it is to others. I think that this reflects what I see on a day to day basis as a psychological barrier to buying into these higher end solutions. Price is almost too easy. You've got the dough or you don't. What can keep your hands wringing is whether or not B&O is the face you want to wake up to every morning. 

• 11-28-2010 4:01 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

Flappo:

The way they're going , I don't give B&O long . Their prices are one problem but their product limitations don't help either.

One of my friends was thinking of buying a pair of beolab 3's for his samsung tv but they only connect in stereo and require a b & o tv to work in surround , a massive outlay , but after doing a bit of research he was able to buy an entire denon / b & w av system for the cost of just these speakers alone. 

They simply have fallen so far behind their competition technically it's a joke. Look at the 7 , only 2 hdmi's free on a £7k tv ? What if I want to connect an apple tv , a mac mini and a sky box - I have to buy an hdmi extender ?

Ridiculous. They really have got to get their act together , and quick.

Sorry and feel free to correct me if Im wrong here but I might be missing something here.  There really aren't very many TVs on the market with more than 4 HDMI's.  Furthermore, I would imagine that one of those will be used for your DVB tuner ... and another for a BluRay player.   Also, you're making it sound like the BeoLab 3's are missing something because it sounds like you're looking for a speaker with a surround sound processor built in?  That sounds like more of a limitation of the TV.  Afterall, purchasing a pair of BeoLab 3 is purchasing a PAIR of speakers.

Also, just as an FYI you can connect your Mac Mini over VGA.

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 11-28-2010 4:03 PM In reply to

Money isn't the issue , a product that looks so technically advanced from the outside while being quite literally stoneage inside is.

Once you delve into the specs , and on a tv they really ARE important , b&o products don't come off too well imo.

No led backlighting in a 7-40 for example ? Only 2 spare hdmi's , no built in Freeview HD ?

Inexcusable at any price.

• 11-28-2010 4:11 PM In reply to

ed7:

Your logic  and math do not make sense to me. Our Avant was $8,500 so by your math a 32 inch CRT from another manufacturer would have been about $2,800. That is much more than I remember them being. In fact, take a look at this page.....

http://www.tvhistory.tv/tv-prices.htm

In 1999, a 36 inch (4 inches bigger than an Avant) was $1400. A 32 inch would have been less. That makes the Avant 6 to 8 times the price of another TV. If Beovisions are now only 5 times the price of another brand, that is a smaller price premium/multiple than the Avant had.

Of course comparing and Avant or a Beovision 10 to another TV is like comparing Apple and Oranges. The other TV typically has very small poor sounding speakers, and no internal surround processor.

I would agree with you on one point. I do not think the Beovision 10 is like a Rolls Royce. It is much more like a Bentley.

• 11-28-2010 4:16 PM In reply to

You mean like a volkswagen with a tarted up shell ?

Yes , I agree.

• 11-28-2010 4:24 PM In reply to

If the Volkswagen you are referring to is the Phaeton which is built on the same frame in the same factory as certain Bentleys, yes. A Phaeton was the best car I have ever owned. However, if you think a Bentley Continental or Flying Spur is "tarted" your taste or definition of the word is far different than mine.

Different tastes are a wonderful facet of this world. Some people are happy with mass produced disposable plastic TVs and cars, others prefer a bit more quality, craftsmanship, and performance,...real world performance,...not advertising specifications.

• 11-28-2010 4:25 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

Bentley with a fiat engineWhistle

• 11-28-2010 4:38 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

A £2,000 Beovision 8-26 with an LCD panel from Sharp!, put together in the Czech Republic!, or a £1,200 LED LCD Samsung 200Hz with 3D. ummmm

I will shortly be needing a bigger TV and am still racking my brains as to what to get. Having had B&O TV's in the family for nearly 30 years nothing would make me happier than a 7-40, but even second hand £6,300 for a 60hz CFL LCD screen! My wife hates the 8, but i'm prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt, just.

The problem is that all what was tat and rubbish, has really picked up its game. Technologies are moving quickly, with OLED on the horizon even if i had the money for a brand new 7-55, would i when its Samsung brother is for sale at just under £2,000. £13,000 less.

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 11-28-2010 4:42 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

chris:

A £2,000 Beovision 8-26 with an LCD panel from Sharp!, put together in the Czech Republic!, or a £1,200 LED LCD Samsung 200Hz with 3D. ummmm

I will shortly be needing a bigger TV and am still racking my brains as to what to get. Having had B&O TV's in the family for nearly 30 years nothing would make me happier than a 7-40, but even second hand £6,300 for a 60hz CFL LCD screen! My wife hates the 8, but i'm prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt, just.

The problem is that all what was tat and rubbish, has really picked up its game. Technologies are moving quickly, with OLED on the horizon even if i had the money for a brand new 7-55, would i when its Samsung brother is for sale at just under £2,000. £13,000 less.

Thanks for that chris my formula still applicable  then Surprise

• 11-29-2010 4:21 AM In reply to

Comrades

I shall regret this post, and I'm adding no real value..... just can't help myself...

Isn't it nice to be upper middle class!!!! (and perhaps we shouldnt take ourselves so seriously!!!!!).

Back to my Champagne..

BV8-40, BC6-26, BC2, Beolab 9's, Beogram 7000, Beogram 9500, Beoport, Beotalk 1200, Beocom 6000, Beolit 1000, 800, 700, 600, 400

• 11-29-2010 5:52 AM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

Absolutely David cheersDrinksDrinks

• 11-29-2010 9:22 AM In reply to

ed7:

chris:

What kind of surround sound processors does the Samsung have in it?  What kind of Audio does the Samsung's built in Blu-Ray player decode? What kind of projector can the Samsung control? How does the Samsung's motorized stand work? Are the electronic curtains on the Samsung adjustable? How do you link the Samsung to speakers and other Samsungs elsewhere in the house? How many speakers can be connected to the Samsung? Oh that's right, the Samsung is just a TV with a great picture. 

Can someone please direct me to the forum for people who actually like B and O?

• 11-29-2010 9:49 AM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:

ed7:

chris:

What kind of surround sound processors does the Samsung have in it?  What kind of Audio does the Samsung's built in Blu-Ray player decode? What kind of projector can the Samsung control? How does the Samsung's motorized stand work? Are the electronic curtains on the Samsung adjustable? How do you link the Samsung to speakers and other Samsungs elsewhere in the house? How many speakers can be connected to the Samsung? Oh that's right, the Samsung is just a TV with a great picture. 

Can someone please direct me to the forum for people who actually like B and O?

You have a method of putting words in people mouthsWhistle,yes i do not like B&O  owned two tvs& music system over a period 14 years ,my answer to you whatever have a nice day Big Smile

• 11-29-2010 9:57 AM In reply to

ed7:
    my answer to you whatever have a nice day

Nana nana boo boo!

• B&o bottle opener
Page 1 of 4 (83 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >