in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-02-2007 5:21 AM by Alex. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-01-2007 12:49 AM

Speaker Suggestion

Hey All

I need a speaker suggestion.  I have an Avant, BL2 and BL8000. I'm thinking about getting rear speakers.  Also I'm considering getting a BeoSystem 3 for my 40 inch LCD and putting BL8000's an BL2 to it.  So in either set up which rear speaker would be best.  Thanks

• 07-01-2007 3:19 AM In reply to

Re: Speaker Suggestion

Hi brendon,

the rear speakers are not so important for the sound experience. I would go for a non-expensive pair of speakers. As I read in other threads, the latest ICE-driven speakers do not combine well with the BL8000. My latest setup consists of BL8000 as fron speakers and RL60.2 (with Beolink Passive) as rear speakers - though the RL60.2 are oversized as rear speakers... but they were a bargain on ebay.

Hagen

• 07-01-2007 3:26 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

I have a similar set-up where I had 6000's as rears but swapped them for 4000's on stands. The 4000's are an improvement. Maybe to do with them being the correct head height, whereas the 6000's were firing into the side of the sofa. Generally I think the 4000's sound better than the 6000's. I guess it depends on room layout but for the money I would say 4000's would do the job satisfactorily

• 07-01-2007 3:38 AM In reply to

Get the 4000s. They'll go well with your BL8000s. Mount them on stands or up on the wall behind your listening position.

I haven't heard the new ones with ICE and don't know of any incompatibility with BL8000s, but if that's an issue then go hunting for a pair of used ones. These speakers will outlast me and used ones will do an excellent job. 

• 07-01-2007 4:26 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I'm gonna vote BeoLab 4000s. If you use BeoLab 6000s, they often end up firing straight into the back of a sofa, or other furniture. BeoLab 4000s can be mounted at whatever height you want.

Bear in mind that the BeoLab 6000s can be wall mounted now though, if you want to go for them instead, although as others have said, the BeoLab 4000s are kinda slightly better.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-01-2007 6:10 AM In reply to

Like others I would suggest the Beolab 4000's as your rear speakers, in fact that is exactly what I have in place and have had for many years.

Regards Keith....

• 07-01-2007 6:18 AM In reply to

• trojan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Checkley, Staffordshire
    • Posts 19
    • Bronze Member

Hi,

Definatly go for 4000's, had mine with the same 8000's front  for three years and its a perfect sound!!!!!!!!!!

• 07-01-2007 6:37 AM In reply to

Keith Saunders:
    Like others I would suggest the Beolab 4000's as your rear speakers, in fact that is exactly what I have in place and have had for many years.

Likewise! 

• 07-01-2007 6:38 AM In reply to

I love the sound of the 4000, but with a pair of BL9 as front speakers and an Avant, Do you think the same? Would you choose the BL4000 as rear?
    Rafa
  • 07-01-2007 7:03 AM In reply to

• Max
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Devon
    • Posts 64
    • Founder

Ok, one vote from the 6000 camp (looks like I'm in the wilderness compared to the 4000 support Smile) but I have my 6000's in line with the back of the sofa so they are about 100 degrees around from my seating position and much more involving than the wall mounted Mission 77DS they replaced. These are coupled with BL9 mains and BL7-4 centre, now when does the full-HD BV4-50 hit the dealers...

My B&O is in my Bio.

• 07-01-2007 7:06 AM In reply to

With a pair of bl9 i'd go for a pair of bl3 as rear.

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

• 07-01-2007 7:24 AM In reply to

Pedro is correct in that the speakers will match very nicely but I think spending this amount on rear speakers will be money wasted. Rear speakers get relatively little traffic and so I would buy the cheapest speaker that you would be happy listening to. For me that is the 4000 and I still think they are wasted! Have some sympathy for the MCL2P and CX50 route! Not tried this myself though!
  • 07-01-2007 12:47 PM In reply to

Peter, you are thinking in a Home cinema set-up only, and from that point of view I´m agree with you, but what about thinking in use them to listen double stereo?

Do you use to listen double stereo? 

Rafa
  • 07-01-2007 12:57 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

I do. However I use the Avant to fade the rears to almost minimum. 
  • 07-01-2007 1:22 PM In reply to

I never use 'double stereo'  as it wrecks the stereo image. If you mean for parties, then I don't think it really matters.
  • 07-01-2007 1:46 PM In reply to

Peter:
    I never use 'double stereo'  as it wrecks the stereo image. If you mean for parties, then I don't think it really matters.

I have never listen double stereo really, but many people have tell me that is great, another way to listen music, and I would to try it. I´m going to buy a pair of BL9s and in doubt about a BS9000 or rear speakers, and wait what B&O will do about CD players. What do you think?

Rafa
  • 07-01-2007 2:12 PM In reply to

The people speaking of "double stereo" may mean SACD or other multi-channel playback, where the original recording is mastered for more than two stereo speakers. I agree with Peter that just spreading out a two-channel recording to four speakers muddles things up. But then I'm also a bit of a fanatic on that topic - in my cars I always "move" the sound forwards.

SACD encoding - quite common on quality Jazz and Classical recordings - will feed sound to more channels; as will Audio DVDs or concert DVDs. That's when you would like to have something behind you creating sound. But when you think about it, you don't want two orchestras - you would like to have one, in front of you, and then have the other speakers supply the ambient sound and reflections of the orchestra -- which is what good SACD recordings do.
    Unfortunately, B&O do not have any players that interpret SACD. But the BC2 does read concert DVDs properly, for multi-channel playback. Those of you with BeoSys3s should experiment with the sound upscaling. BeoSys3 upscales from 2-channel to 3 and 5 using quite advanced algorithms.

I actually find that L-R-Center fixes the stereo image well. Nothing new in that, the Beolab 5000 has a Center speaker out that does the same thing, and which was supposed to feed a Beovox 3000 placed between two large Beovox 5000 and two Beovox 2500. But all of that was in front of the listener.

• 07-01-2007 2:16 PM In reply to

• Christian
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 626
    • Bronze Member

Morgan>> 

If you like CDs, and believe you will use them for the next 5 to 10 years, or so, I would get the BS9000. If you are in doubt about CDs, and/or planning on switching to N.Music I would not buy any Stereo at the moment, but instead wait for the next music solution (BeoSound 5 ??) to be launched.

I have bought the BS9000 this february, 'cause I really do like CDs. I do not download any music. If you download a lot, I think you will loose interest in the 9000 in a few years.

However, if you've got pleanty of cash to spare, the 9000 will always look good on any wall.

Christian

Living room: BV7-40 mkIV + V8000, BL5, BL3, BM1 and BS9000. Bedroom: MX3000 and BL4500 on MCL2-AV. Around: PentaIII, CX100 and MCX35 on ML/MCL + MCL2-A, BeoPort and BL4 on ML, BS3300 + M75 as stand alone, BC6000 + BC600 and BT1100, LC1, LC2, Beo4, Beo5 and BL1000, BS2 and A8, EarSet2, Apron, Coffee mugs, Enamel Bagdes, Bath towel, Keyring, Books, Lots of miniature and the Bottle opener. Office: BC2300 + BL2500 and BS3. Summer house: BS Century.

Addicted? Oh no.... ;)

• 07-01-2007 2:19 PM In reply to

In a four speaker set up, the ideal is four identical speakers. However one has to bear in mind that in a cinema set up, the rears are used effectively for ambience as much as anything. Therefore I normally advocate spending lots on the main system and fronts and not much on the rears. If your budget is limitless, BL5s all round is best. If slightly more limited, cut your cloth to match! BL3s would match BL9s very well but I think spending £2000 on them as rear speakers is a waste of money - to me! Others will not. Of all the equipment I have bought, the BL4000s are the ones that I think are the most expensive for what I get from them. They are excellent speakers but rarely get extended. My BL2 on the other hand is worth every penny I spent on it, as are my Pentas.

What are you looking for in a CD player? No news of anything else new at present! Just had the BC2 Audio after all! 

• 07-01-2007 2:19 PM In reply to

Thanks a lot, Soundproof. Very usefull info for me.

What do you think about mix BL9 as front and BL4000 as rear?

Any news about a new B&O CD player?

Rafa
  • 07-01-2007 2:37 PM In reply to

Morgan:

What do you think about mix BL9 as front and BL4000 as rear?

To a certain extent it depends upon the kind of music you listen to. If it's predominantly acoustic/vocal (no electronics and effects), then BL9+BL4000s is perfect. If you like music that goes THUMP! in the night then you want heavyweights all around. (I know of one person who has SIX BL5s, and still feels he would like more bass ... His plate glass windows are bulging - and I think he will be deaf when he hits 50).

BL9 plus BL4000s would get my vote. There's a purity of tone in the upper register of the BL4000s that I believe goes very well with the ditto from the BL9s.

As to Christian's comment about the BeoSound 9000 being made irrelevant by the move to digital files. I think you made a wise choice, Christian, in getting one back in February. The BS9000 will be the Beogram 4000 of the future.

I'm still playing LPs, and you will be playing CDs to your heart's content for years to come - from a unique player.

• 07-01-2007 2:38 PM In reply to

Peter:

In a four speaker set up, the ideal is four identical speakers. However one has to bear in mind that in a cinema set up, the rears are used effectively for ambience as much as anything. Therefore I normally advocate spending lots on the main system and fronts and not much on the rears. If your budget is limitless, BL5s all round is best. If slightly more limited, cut your cloth to match! BL3s would match BL9s very well but I think spending £2000 on them as rear speakers is a waste of money - to me! Others will not. Of all the equipment I have bought, the BL4000s are the ones that I think are the most expensive for what I get from them. They are excellent speakers but rarely get extended. My BL2 on the other hand is worth every penny I spent on it, as are my Pentas.

What are you looking for in a CD player? No news of anything else new at present! Just had the BC2 Audio after all! 

Sadly my budget is limit.

I think like you, BL3 is too much as rear. My doubt is about join labs with lens and without. I have choose BL9 as main speakers.

I have about 1000 Cds, and every week I buy someone more. There is always music at home, nowadays I´m compressing all the CDs to use them as ambient music. The CDs will be only to listen them quietly having a good rum Laughing. I love the BS9000, and I´m in doubt about buy it or buy a rear speakers and use the Avant DVD as CD player while I save more money for the BS9000.

Rafa
  • 07-01-2007 3:17 PM In reply to

To a certain extent it depends upon the kind of music you listen to. If it's predominantly acoustic/vocal (no electronics and effects), then BL9+BL4000s is perfect.

I use to listen acoustic/vocal (Jazz, Brasilian, Cuban, Latin, Rock....) so this is a very good news for me. I love the sound of the BL4000.

BL9 plus BL4000s would get my vote. There's a purity of tone in the upper register of the BL4000s that I believe goes very well with the ditto from the BL9s.

Sorry but I don´t understand "ditto", but I got the general idea.

And I´m agree, BS9000 is a great choice.

Rafa
  • 07-01-2007 3:48 PM In reply to

Morgan:

Sorry but I don´t understand "ditto", but I got the general idea.

Just that the BL9s are similarly clear and bright in the upper register, so you get a good match. If you've been to a lot of live concerts, and in good seats (or are a musician yourself) you know that it's in the rendition of the concert timbre that B&O stands out, and that's due to the clarity of the upper register.
    People who don't listen that much to live acoustic music  sometimes feel the B&O speakers are too bright - but that's the price B&O pays for sending the members of its Golden Ears group to at least 20 live concerts a year, I guess! They're not satisfied until they hear what they heard at the concert.

• 07-01-2007 4:22 PM In reply to

I was hooked by B&O through its audio, and nowadays I´m trying to have a complete B&O audio system.

Thanks a lot for your comments. Pleased to "speak" with you Wink.

Rafa
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >