in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-29-2007 12:38 PM by Peter. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-29-2007 3:46 AM

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

How does Beosound 4 sound compered to other Beosounds/Beocenter with CD-playing?

I just wounder if anyone can answer my question how the Beosound 4 sounds compered to the other Besounds in B&O:s pruductline?

And i want to now if anyone have a more spesific technical faktoids about Beosound 4?

What brand or spec DAC (D/A converter) it uses, and is it more up to date than beosound 9000 and 3200 if you dont thinking of the special features they got, just soundwise and componentwise?? 24bit bitstream ore worse?

(Links or pure facts would be nice if you got)

Best regards Fredrik L.

BL8000 MkII Black

• 06-29-2007 5:07 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: How does Beosound 4 sound compered to other Beosounds/Beocenter with CD-playing?

I can't answer any of your questions with facts, but what I can tell you is that there does seem to be a sonic difference between the BeoSound 4 and the BeoSound 3000's radio, quite a considerable difference. The BeoSound 4 sounds quite a bit better IMO.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-29-2007 5:50 AM In reply to

Re: How does Beosound 4 sound compered to other Beosounds/Beocenter with CD-playing?

I've just sold a Beosound 4 after testing it extensively before sale. I noticed no sonic differences between it and a beosound 9000 when played through the same set of Lab 5000's.

Regards Graham

• 06-29-2007 9:51 AM In reply to

Or maybe the speakers aren't good enough to reveal the difference. Get the Beosound 4 if you want something convenient. It is lower maintenance than the other ones. 
  • 06-29-2007 10:47 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

wonderfulelectric:
    Or maybe the speakers aren't good enough to reveal the difference. Get the Beosound 4 if you want something convenient. It is lower maintenance than the other ones. 

Why do you think its lower maintenance than the other beosounds? Do you think i should go for the 3200 instead?? Beosond 4= sheep plastig receiver aginst 3200?

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 06-29-2007 11:50 AM In reply to

What I meant was it doesn't require as much regular cleaning as the others and doesn't malfunction as often as the besound 9000 because it is less complex. The Beosound 3200 doesn't have a good harddisk recording system. It records everything very compressed so the sound will not be as good as from direct from cd. Beosound 4 will be a better choice since you might probably be using more of its functions. However, it doesn't have a digital output which might be a problem should you decide to upgrade to DSP speakers in the future like the Beolab 5. I don't own the Beosound 4 exactly because of that although I admire the design. My Beosound 9000 broke down once and the older version broke down a couple of times, it was because of dust. 
  • 06-29-2007 12:16 PM In reply to

wonderfulelectric:
    What I meant was it doesn't require as much regular cleaning as the others and doesn't malfunction as often as the besound 9000 because it is less complex. The Beosound 3200 doesn't have a good harddisk recording system. It records everything very compressed so the sound will not be as good as from direct from cd. Beosound 4 will be a better choice since you might probably be using more of its functions. However, it doesn't have a digital output which might be a problem should you decide to upgrade to DSP speakers in the future like the Beolab 5 in the future. I don't own the Beosound 4 exactly because of that although I admire the design. My Beosound 9000 broke down once and the older version broke down a couple of times, it was because of dust. 

Then I suggest that you buy a better vacuum cleaner or use it more often!

I have known most of the B&O designs to malfuntion beacause of dust and I don't see the Beosound 4 being any different. Regular cleaning of the laser lens has been neccessary ever since the introduction of Beocenter 9000 and all semi-open designs will suffer the same.

The chances of most normal folk being able to afford or want to slpash £10K+ on a pair of speakers is very remote and certainly not very high up the list a criteria for buying a cd player.

The Beolab 5's maybe, just maybe able to allow you to distinguish between cd players but I have to be honest and say that for £10k I would want the band in the room with me!

Regards Graham

• 06-29-2007 12:38 PM In reply to

wonderfulelectric:
    Or maybe the speakers aren't good enough to reveal the difference. 

LaughingLaughing

That has cut Graham to the core! Actually I think you can tell the difference between CD players - not sure I would describe one as better - rather different! Had a bit of practice recently!  However the biggest difference in tonal qualities is in changing speakers. I remember when I was first buying systems, the focus was all on the source - rubbish in, rubbish out. These days even a £100 CD player will produce reasonable sound - something that cheap sources didn't do then. Therefore I agree with Graham that either CD player will suit the majority of users. I actually prefer the finish of the BS4 to the BS3000/3200 so I would not call it cheap plastic. I agree about the fact that the majority of us will not be buying BL5s!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)