in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-21-2011 12:40 AM by Evan. 151 replies.
Page 4 of 7 (152 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-22-2010 5:22 PM In reply to

Re: BeoSystem 4500 Restoration

evman140:

Okay all,

As the final coats of paint dry on the BeoGram, this thread will start to slow. I am starting back at school tomorrow.

Also, Chris is sending me some tape for the glass panels so there may be a short hiatus.

Stay tuned!

Absolutely love the white finish !!!  

The beosound with wood effect elsewhere in this thread probably uses a high gloss pre-finished wood veneer.
    Cabinet makers and kitchen makers use these style of laminates alot. 

• 09-23-2010 2:42 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I'm really liking the white too. I keep thinking of what else I could convert... Stick out tongue

Out goes the BeoGram for another spray. Seems I've masked off too much!

Evan

• 09-23-2010 3:15 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

evman140:

I'm really liking the white too. I keep thinking of what else I could convert... Stick out tongue

I know you're at least half kidding, but you could change your grill cloth to an all white.  Below is a picture of my refoamed S40, but in the background you can see my S45-2s with new (much more interesting) grill material.

The grill material of my S45-2s literally peeled right off.  In case you're interested, here's one way to put new grill cloth on.

1.  Lay out the cloth on a table large enough to accomodate both speaker grills with at least six inches between them.  Some cloth, especially with patterns, is "good one side," similar (I suppose) to plywood.  Make sure the "good side" is down!

2.  Stretch the material a bit in all directions, then fasten with tape to the table, leaving at least six inches or so all around the sides of the grill frame size.

3.  If your cloth has a pattern like mine, you'll want to line up the two frames so they'll look alike.  Use a Sharpie or something to outline the corners.  If you're just using a solid white cloth, you probably don't need to worry too much about this step.

4.  Using a spray adhesive available at any hobby shop or fabric store, liberally spray the grill frame (after you've peeled the original off, of course).  Be sure you're spraying the front!

5.  The spray bottle will tell you to wait a few minutes to let the spray get tacky.  I honestly can't remember if I did.  Knowing me, I probably did whatever the package said.

6.  Place the frames sticky side down (that would be the front!) onto the grill cloth (that would be the back of the grill cloth!).

7.  Weight the frames down with some books or something, and let them sit for a few hours.

8.  When the adhesive has set, cut the cloth around the frame, leaving an inch toward the bottom, and more like two inches toward the top, if your frame is anything like my S45-2s.

9.  Now you're going to want to carefully spray the sides and a bit of the back of the frame.  Then fold back the 1-2 inches of extra cloth over to the back of the frame.  Press the cloth into the adhesive with your fingers, going over the edge/side and back several times. 

10.  I immediately mounted the grills back into the speaker.  I think putting them back into place made a nice, snug place for the adhesive on the sides/edge and back to set.

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 09-23-2010 3:20 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

DSCN1231.jpg picture by evman140

Now for those of you planning to do something like this, be careful - it is autumn. Leaves are falling! They will ruin your final top coat!

Evan

• 09-23-2010 3:31 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Rich:

evman140:

I know you're at least half kidding, but you could change your grill cloth to an all white.  Below is a picture of my refoamed S40, but in the background you can see my S45-2s with new (much more interesting) grill material.

The grill material of my S45-2s literally peeled right off.  In case you're interested, here's one way to put new grill cloth on.

My BeoLab 5000s could use some new coverings, they are developing holes on the front and on the corners.

My S45-2s also need to be recovered, but I want to leave them black.

(BTW if you or anyone knows how to get ahold of a second pair of grills for my JBL northridge E80s, let me know!!! I want a second set I can turn white so that I have both colors.)

Evan

• 09-23-2010 4:12 PM In reply to

Isn't this a little bit overdo? You painted the grass as wellBig Smile

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 09-23-2010 4:15 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

Leslie:

This quote will date me:

"He used to cut the grass, he was a very nice boy"

- Frank Zappa

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 09-23-2010 5:10 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Leslie:

I was just thinking about that! Especially now that there are 4 places in my yard with overspray Laughing

I have a yard to match my BeoSystem!

Evan

• 09-23-2010 5:12 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

This top coat business is getting a little tricky.

I'm getting very flustered at all of the spiderwebs and bugs accumulating in my fresh paint Super Angry

To be continued...

Evan

• 09-24-2010 1:44 AM In reply to

evman140:

Leslie:

I was just thinking about that! Especially now that there are 4 places in my yard with overspray Laughing

LaughingLaughingLaughingYes -  thumbs up

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 09-24-2010 3:42 PM In reply to

evman140:

Leslie:

Hm -I thought You just couldn't wait for the winter to come, so You started to paint the grass white...Huh?Big Smile I'm dreaming of a white Christmas...Whistle

• 09-24-2010 6:29 PM In reply to

white white grass of homeWhistle

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 09-24-2010 8:04 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

evman140:

I'm getting very flustered at all of the spiderwebs and bugs accumulating in my fresh paint Super Angry

You really need a large covered space to prevent this - but alas spray booths don't come cheap. You're really doing the right thing by spraying in the open air as many of these proprietory spray paints contain (possible) carcinogens.

You could get away with doing the job in a large garage or such & investing in an activated carbon vapour mask but these aren't cheap either & have a short shelf life. As with al things of this nature you need to rely on the hibernating cycles of the local bug life & cross your fingers.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 09-25-2010 1:24 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Yes I realize I need something a bit more professional, but like you said, boothes are a bit expensive.

I do have a screened in porch that I moved the wet pieces into about half way through the thread somewhere as my garage is filled with a giant Chevrolet. But for some reason I didn't do it this time around, not sure why. I guess I just had good luck with most of the sprayings and felt I could get away with it.

Evan

• 10-01-2010 11:47 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

DSCN1233.jpg picture by evman140

Here is the Gram unwrapped and ready for reassembly. Only imperfection I have found is the small vertical bit of over spray on the front corner.

Evan

• 10-01-2010 11:59 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

DSCN1242.jpg picture by evman140

After final spray and drying in a covered area to prevent imperfections, the lid can be unwrapped and be ready to be put back together.

The paint has greatly improved the surface consistency and hidden all of the major dents along the peak in the middle.

Evan

• 10-02-2010 12:00 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

DSCN1243.jpg picture by evman140

Once uncovered, the lid is flipped over so the CD clamp can be reinstalled.

Warning! For those of you who are thinking about doing this, do not replace the screws for the clamper into the lid by themselves. Without the clamper, the screws will actually push up on the underside of the aluminum top. This can potentially damage your surface.

Evan

• 10-02-2010 12:09 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

DSCN1246.jpg picture by evman140

Before the lid can be put on, the Gram's hinges must be raised. Only the right side is motor driven and the unit will need to be powered on to get it in the upright position. The inner tray does need to be put on first, it simply drops on over the hinges.

Evan

• 10-02-2010 12:11 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

DSCN1247.jpg picture by evman140

The lid simply slides down the the length of the hinge and the ends snap in place to secure it.

Evan

• 10-02-2010 12:17 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

DSCN1249.jpg picture by evman140

The plastic inner tray is secured on the back with 3 screws and 3 square nuts.

This may seem out of sequence, fastening the tray after the lid is installed. But, I think it allows for good gap adjustment and can be tightened when everything is lined up well.

Evan

• 10-02-2010 12:22 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

DSCN1248.jpg picture by evman140

The nuts drop down into 3 little holes in the very back groove.

Evan

• 10-02-2010 12:24 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

DSCN1251.jpg picture by evman140

The screws are insterted through the back.

Evan

• 10-02-2010 12:29 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

DSCN1237.jpg picture by evman140

Chris was kind enough to donate some spare tape to help me affix the glass operation panels to my units, it arrived a few days ago.

Thanks to him, we may press onward straight through to the end!

Evan

• 10-02-2010 12:32 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

But, before this tape gets put on the glass, the plastic bezel pieces need to be cleaned. They still have a layer of the original tape still on them, this is not ideal for fresh new adhesive.

DSCN1241.jpg picture by evman140

Here in the bathroom, I have filled the sink with hot water to loosen the 22 year old layer of tape.

In the sink are the pieces for the BeoMaster. Since the BeoGram is still intact I will skip past it for now. I will do it later, I am just excited and limited by time.

Evan

• 10-02-2010 12:41 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

DSCN1240.jpg picture by evman140

Here are the middle bezel pieces, the one in front unlceaned to show the difference.

Evan

Page 4 of 7 (152 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »