in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-12-2010 12:07 PM by furkank. 190 replies.
Page 6 of 8 (191 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-19-2010 5:03 PM In reply to

Re: dealer conference

Although I am very excited about all these possibilities, I would not buy anything based on promises of features coming later by the mean of software updates. We've seen with the BM5 that B&O was very slow at delivering software update.

• 09-19-2010 5:35 PM In reply to

PhilLondon:

Although I am very excited about all these possibilities, I would not buy anything based on promises of features coming later by the mean of software updates. We've seen with the BM5 that B&O was very slow at delivering software update.

I think this is very fair. We can discuss things that are about to be launched and things that are discussed as being even further in the future, but the fact of the matter is that when it comes to actually buying the products, people will do it when the product meets their needs or some acceptable portion thereof. 

I think the point is valid, though, that when it comes to software based products like the BeoSound 5, it's nice to know that if it meets my needs today, it will also have the ability to add additional value in the future via occasional updates. This was never an option for products like BeoSound 9000 whose feature sets were fixed as part of their form factor. (you'll pardon me if I don't consider the N.MUSIC upgrade as a real major update)

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-19-2010 6:53 PM In reply to

My bid Beo6   Yes -  thumbs up

• 09-19-2010 8:58 PM In reply to

If that is the Beo 6, I want a Beosound 5.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 09-19-2010 9:17 PM In reply to

The Beo6 is a Beo5 with a wider screen that's thinner in depth and operates more like an iPhone screen. I don't know what that is in that picture. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-20-2010 1:33 AM In reply to

TripEnglish, you is not easy to cheat ;-)  Here "BeoLab" 12

"BeoLab"- PP Design

• 09-20-2010 4:32 AM In reply to

• petermc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Shepparton, Australia
    • Posts 87
    • Founder

I been following this thread with a great deal of interest.

When I first read about the Encore I was stoked and thought this is closer to what the BS5 should have originally been. When the BS5 was first released the main thing that stopped me buying it was the limited storage of 500gb which didn't appear to be upgradable and the fact the music was effectively being stored twice - once on the computer and then on the BM5. The lack of a CD player didn't help either.

So thinking the Encore is the answer to my prayers I then find it's supposedly not going to be Masterlink equipped. I can understand that B&O need to get Beonet going but I think it's madness to hobble sales to existing customers who have Masterlink equipped homes. I'm wondering if this about face of the redesigned BS5 (Encore) is in reaction to the perhaps sluggish sales of the original BS5.

I don't expect full integration of the Encore with Masterlink save for sound distribution and  basic navigation/timer functions. All I want is to be able to listen to the sound in the link rooms and to be able to activate the various sources with the equipment I have.

I'll wait and see what's launched but I'm not holding my breath.

Peter

• 09-20-2010 7:39 AM In reply to

• Tomaz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-07-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 74
    • Gold Member

TT

• 09-20-2010 9:54 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

If the Encore can't control and access all features of the BM5, incl. MOTS, without a BS5, then B&O are taking the micky!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 09-20-2010 12:49 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:

I, for example, will be buying an Encore despite already owning a BeoSound 5 to put in my home office where I do most of my music listening. It will use the BeoMaster 5 as its NAS and also connect to my iTunes library (which is distinct from the "family library" I share with my wife). In this way, the Encore is ideal.

At the moment a BeoSound Encore seems to offers quite similar possibilities to those of a
    PC+Monitor+Mouse & BeoPort+B&O Speaker

+ an awsome user interface
     -  the possibility of playing "old fashioned ML sources" like FM-Radio / CDs / ... 

Some years ago I have installed ML and several PCs & BeoPorts combos in different rooms.
    They are all accessing the same music/data storage RAID via Cat7/Gb-Ethernet independently to overcome
    - at least for digital music - the "single source limitation" of every ML System.

Hopfully there will be a "Masterlink/Network-Link Converter" (analogue to the BeoLink Converter
    between DataLink & Masterlink) for todays ML-Products.

Only then the missing ML on the Encore is acceptable and would even make sense - converting
    recent ML sources to Network Link and then distributing them digitally will be a much better solution to
    solve the "single source limitation" of ML towards a real multi zone / multi source system.

I understand B&O has to start the transition from analogue ML to digital IP with a single product
    (and to earn the money needed to implement this in other components)  

Somehow the old chicken or the egg question ... 

• 09-20-2010 4:51 PM In reply to

About 3-4 months we will see the new BeoVision 4-85 "- 3D-TV.
    On the same floor stand as BV 4-103.

Price between 260.000 Dkr. and 300.000 Dkr.

• 09-20-2010 5:30 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Peter Pan:

If 35.000 / 40.000 EUR include a "Magic Stand" à la BV 4-103 - a lot of money but would still be a good offer ... 
    (BV 4-103 stand is approx EUR 20.000)

• 09-24-2010 3:27 AM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:

Yes. That's what it means. Whether CD has a role to play in the future is doubtful, but conceptually you're on the right track. It means that if a source exists on the network, it will be able to be accessed and manipulated independently in every room.

I know that you've already invested in ML products, so the Encore would NOT be a solution for you. You will need the BeoSound 5 and then a few Beo6s to place around the house. The Encore is NOT ML capable so there would be no way to integrate with the TV let alone broadcast out to multiple rooms. 

And yes, the Beo6 will have cover art akin to the iPhone's coverflow. You will also be able to browse text lists by different sorting methods. It's awesome.

Hi Trip

I have not had the time to write until now. This is very interesting news and a most welcome one. One more question: Will Beo6 be a good universal remote, easy to set up for other brands. This is quite important for me since we have (and will have) several other devices to control. I use a Philips Prestigo today even for B&O, since I do not like Beo4 or Beo5. If this is the case, I think we will visit a store soon.

B R

Clakke

• 09-24-2010 7:04 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Vienna:

Peter Pan:

If 35.000 / 40.000 EUR include a "Magic Stand" à la BV 4-103 - a lot of money but would still be a good offer ... 
    (BV 4-103 stand is approx EUR 20.000)

Not a chance the 4-85 would cost "only" 15-20 000€ if you look at the price of 4-50 and 4-65. So the price is absolutly without the stand.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 09-24-2010 8:19 AM In reply to

Remember!  BeoVision 4- 85" is a Plasma 3D-TV.

• 09-24-2010 10:08 AM In reply to

Clakke:

Hi Trip

I have not had the time to write until now. This is very interesting news and a most welcome one. One more question: Will Beo6 be a good universal remote, easy to set up for other brands. This is quite important for me since we have (and will have) several other devices to control. I use a Philips Prestigo today even for B&O, since I do not like Beo4 or Beo5. If this is the case, I think we will visit a store soon.

B R

Clakke

Clakke,

No. I have no reason to believe that it will control 3rd party AV products any differently than it does today. It's not a universal remote, but a Bang & Olufsen remote control. It's important to remember that B&O remotes have generally controlled 3rd party devices through a Bang & Olufsen product. This goes further toward providing consistent control logic across a wide group of devices.

Integration will come through B&O televisions which are developing new and better ways to manage peripherals, as well as through the MLGW which has an ever widening scope of supported brands and capabilities for home systems control. 

• 09-27-2010 5:30 AM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

TripEnglish:

The memory is whatever drive or source you attach to it, be it USB, WiFi, or Aux in.

[...]

I, for example, will be buying an Encore [...] and also connect to my iTunes library.

Trip,

Many thanks for this insight.

So is it confirmed that BS5 Encore will be able to play Apple Lossless files:

- either from an iTunes library backed-up on an external hard disk connected to BS5 Encore via USB, or

- from an Apple computer connected to the BS5 Encore via WiFi?

Thanks and regards, js

• 09-27-2010 6:08 AM In reply to

@JS: sorry to spoil your party.. but where does it says that it'll play Apple Lossless? We're all making assumptions here

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 09-27-2010 6:21 AM In reply to

We are discussing unannounced, unreleased, rumoured products.

So for any confirmation, I am afraid we'll have to wait until B&O has officially released the products and the specs.

• 09-27-2010 9:50 AM In reply to

It is not confirmed that the BeoSound 5 Encore will be able to play Apple Lossless. This has apparently been more difficult than once believed. The Encore simply uses any attached drive as a shared drive and sucks the content off of it. It's still a player the way a BeoSound 5 is. 

• 09-27-2010 10:19 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

So, no more big BeoMaster5 with all the cables for the BeoSound5 Encore ?

It would be great for a more versatile placement in the room.

I use my BS5/BM5 only for music and it was a long "brainstorming" to find where i could place it in the lounge to hide all the cables and of course the BM5...

• 09-28-2010 10:04 AM In reply to

• misled
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-25-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 66
    • Bronze Member

Any NEWS???

BVision10-46,BLab11,BSound5,BMaster5,BLab8000,BLab6000,BLab2500,BCom5,BCom6000,BeoTime,BeoPort,Beo4,Beo5

• 09-28-2010 12:46 PM In reply to

steph:

So, no more big BeoMaster5 with all the cables for the BeoSound5 Encore ?

It would be great for a more versatile placement in the room.

I use my BS5/BM5 only for music and it was a long "brainstorming" to find where i could place it in the lounge to hide all the cables and of course the BM5...

Agree about the placement possibilities. But what about wifi? Why doesn't it have a wireless card inbuild?. Think about it, Music playback with only mains and powerlink connected. Or even better, access to Airport extreme or Beo wireless link. Then you would only have to connect it to the mains.

/Ehlerz

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 09-28-2010 12:58 PM In reply to

• pf85
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

agree that a WiFi card would increase standalone options.

However, with 3 BL wireless stations a setup like mine with BM5/BS5, BS3200, Avant and 2 linkrooms is possible without wifi card ...it is working flawlessly

• 09-28-2010 5:51 PM In reply to

Will the new beosound 8 have any integration capabilities?

Page 6 of 8 (191 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next >