in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-12-2010 12:07 PM by furkank. 190 replies.
Page 5 of 8 (191 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-19-2010 9:53 AM In reply to

Re: dealer conference

csmager:

Read back a page or so - from the sounds of it, it'll have no real internal storage and no Master Link connection.

Of course I read back a page or so, I have read the entire thread. My question was not about hardware and design, it was about functionality. For example will the Beo 6 operate both version in the same manner? From an operational standpoint, any reason to choose one over the other? Trip?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 09-19-2010 10:20 AM In reply to

tournedos:

Puncher:

TripEnglish:

beolion:

Would it be possible to use the Beo6 without the BS5, I have only a BM5 which is connected to my TV. I do also navigate on BM5 via the TV in the linkroom.

No. The Beo 6 is interacting with the BeoSound 5 program, not the BeoMaster 5 program. 

It would appear that the road will not be widening as much for those who only bought the BeoMaster 5. No updates were mentioned specifically for this part of the product. 

The good news is it's never too late to buy a BeoSound 5. 

How does the Encore communicate with just the BeoSound 5?

Hi, it's your resident decipher here again!

I read "Beosound 5 program" as "the software related to Beosound 5 that runs on the Beomaster 5". Like MOTS - as far as I understand, you don't have it unless you have a Beosound 5, although it all happens on the BM5.

And, the above was discussing Beo6, not the Encore.

This is correct. We have to keep in mind that the "BeoSound 5" as far as its functionality is a program that resides in the hardware of the BeoMaster 5. It is this that the BS5-E is communicating with (if it's communicating with a BeoSound 5 at all, which it doesn't have to).

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-19-2010 10:28 AM In reply to

Razlaw:

csmager:

Read back a page or so - from the sounds of it, it'll have no real internal storage and no Master Link connection.

Of course I read back a page or so, I have read the entire thread. My question was not about hardware and design, it was about functionality. For example will the Beo 6 operate both version in the same manner? From an operational standpoint, any reason to choose one over the other? Trip?

Razlaw,

Here's the scoop:

The BeoSound 5 Encore is NOT a MasterLink product. In many ways it could be said to exist apart from the rest of the lineup in that respect. If you own a TV, another audio system, or any type of link network, this will not interact with it. 

I see it as an ideal product for two circumstances:

A. A non-B&O customer who wants a great digital audio system. This client will likely never build out to link rooms or link up with a television. They just need a capable digital audio system for their home. This makes sense as the majority of audio systems are never linked after purchase.

B. A private zone in a B&O home. Think: home office or other zone whether the user does not care about pulling sound from other linked sources like TV sound or classic audio master. As an example, we've already pre-sold one to a family that has an older teen (a spoiled one I suppose!) living at home. He doesn't care about listening to sound from the rest of the system, but can pull content of the family's BeoSound 5 as well as his own Mac and NAS.

Note: The Beo 6 (at least at this point) will work with the BeoSound 5 Encore insomuch as it will issue commands to it. The module that broadcasts content for browsing, however, is for the BeoSound 5 and not the Encore. 

Hope this does something for clarification. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-19-2010 10:33 AM In reply to

Razlaw:
    Of course I read back a page or so, I have read the entire thread. My question was not about hardware and design, it was about functionality.

I would have said not having MasterLink and the functionality and flexibility that allows was about the most important differentiator, no?

Interesting that the Encore won't be doing two-way with the Beo6 though...

• 09-19-2010 10:48 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

beolion:

Would it be possible to use the Beo6 without the BS5, I have only a BM5 which is connected to my TV. I do also navigate on BM5 via the TV in the linkroom.

No. The Beo 6 is interacting with the BeoSound 5 program, not the BeoMaster 5 program. 

It would appear that the road will not be widening as much for those who only bought the BeoMaster 5. No updates were mentioned specifically for this part of the product. 

The good news is it's never too late to buy a BeoSound 5. 

I am confused somewhat.  I currently own a Beosound 5 that is attached to a Beomaster 5.  Will the Beo6 control my system?

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 09-19-2010 11:20 AM In reply to

linder:

I am confused somewhat.  I currently own a Beosound 5 that is attached to a Beomaster 5.  Will the Beo6 control my system?

Yes. 

I was referring to those who only had the BeoMaster 5. 

• 09-19-2010 1:03 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Trip,

Thanks for sharing and clarifying.  This is very interesting.

Stan

• 09-19-2010 1:05 PM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Thanks a lot Trip,

very interesting news. Yes -  thumbs up

I'm very curious.

I too own BS5/BM5 combo, so these new products could be cool for me. Embarrassed

Do you confirm that the BS5 Encore has the same design than the BS5 ?

• 09-19-2010 1:41 PM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

No masterlink = Rubish for me.

I thought masterlink was the reason most of us love this brand and having a whole house system.

I will stick with Apple TV and could buy 6 ipads as remotes for less than this peice of junk.

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 09-19-2010 1:52 PM In reply to

Seanie_230:
    No masterlink = Rubish for me.

Hey guys... you need to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

B&O is phasing out Masterlink. Trip explained this is the first product on the new platform. We know the new link system is based on Ethernet and is called Beonet.

So "no masterlink" does not mean no link possibility, on the contrary, that means new digital, multi-room, multi-source system.

Surely there will be some ML-Beonet convertors.

Masterlink is dead, long live Beonet!

Philippe

• 09-19-2010 2:01 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:

linder:

Yes. 

I was referring to those who only had the BeoMaster 5. 

will it works with BeoMedia 1??
  • 09-19-2010 2:08 PM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

ahhh i never thought of it like that.

One thing to notice though it the repeated work standalone with the "lite" version.

Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 09-19-2010 2:08 PM In reply to

The tea leaves are being read correctly (except, apparently, by that rude guy a few posts up). NetLink is going to be the new standard. While the Encore may be a little isolated today, it will be perfectly at home with all subsequent launches. Multi-source, multi-zone. Live the dream.

And the design, from the front, is exactly the BeoSound 5. Where it differs is the back (which looks more like the back of a BeoSound 3200 with ventilation), and the bottom where the Aux In, Headphone Out, and USB port are located. 

• 09-19-2010 2:25 PM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

I would not say having a negative opinion about a product makes someone rude? If you took is that way I would like to say sorry but we dont all like all products. Perhaps the lack of information makes the product seem like an expensive stand alone mp3 player.

I aim to make my posts here valid and helpful but for me the BS5 has always been a flop, i hope i am prooved wrong as i think it looks absolutly lovely but the lack of multiroom this product has alwasy had puts me off.

Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 09-19-2010 2:43 PM In reply to

It's just your language. It's a bit dramatic. I don't like everything either, and probably for a wider and deeper variety of reasons than most, but I'm civil*. I've noticed that people tend to be a little brasher online than they may in real life and I try to give allowance for that, but in a 4-5 page thread like this, it's like hearing the same voice yelling in a crowded room. That's all. Hope you like the new products.

*often. 

• 09-19-2010 3:45 PM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

Hello After a few mins away i have been thining about this new audio platform.

Will the current product line be able to communicate with the new platform with some form of convertor kind of like the beolink convertor that was used to convert from data link to masterlink

Is there a planned Masterlink to IP convertor in the pipeline??

Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 09-19-2010 4:19 PM In reply to

Seanie_230:

Hello After a few mins away i have been thining about this new audio platform.

Will the current product line be able to communicate with the new platform with some form of convertor kind of like the beolink convertor that was used to convert from data link to masterlink

Is there a planned Masterlink to IP convertor in the pipeline??

Yes. While the product does not exist, it will be included along with whatever the NetLink version of the Active & Passive Kits becomes. So there will be communication between the old and new networks. 

However, the capabilities of the ML portion of the network will not necessarily be enhanced to match those of NetLink. In other words, "multi-source / multi-zone" will remain exclusive to the NetLink world.

• 09-19-2010 4:28 PM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

I am excited by the whole idea of Beonet or Netlink what ever it will be called.

Is it going to be IP based or will it have its own switches/junction boxes? I do hope its IP then it can run over existing networks.

Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 09-19-2010 4:30 PM In reply to

Wasn't thinking through the missing masterlink thing earlier.

So that must mean that I have to connect it to the AUX in of my BC2 ....? Does it have its own Powerlink sockets?

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 09-19-2010 4:34 PM In reply to

By multi source multi zone do you mean the new system will have the ability to play for instance CD in one room, TV,in another, N. music in a third all at the same time? What I am trying to figure out is this: I have held off from buying a Beosound 5 due to the inability to view cover art and make selections from the remote. It seems the Beo 6 solves this. We have multiple rooms master linked but I have no need or desire to listen to different sources in different rooms at the same time. Is there any benefit to to wait for the Encore or will the current 5 when used with a Beo 6 give me full control in whatever room I am in? With full cover art on the 6?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 09-19-2010 4:40 PM In reply to

with the excitement and hub bub i am getting a bit confused...

where does that place folks like me that bought the Bs5 last year?

is my Bs5 now defunct?

what does the Bs5 have that the encore doesn't?

what does the encore have that the Bs5 doesn't?

Unsure

• 09-19-2010 4:43 PM In reply to

Seanie_230:

I am excited by the whole idea of Beonet or Netlink what ever it will be called.

Is it going to be IP based or will it have its own switches/junction boxes? I do hope its IP then it can run over existing networks.

It's called NetLink and yes it's an IP protocol. However, some of the features, like 1080p+ video distribution will require Cat7 cabling for bandwidth issues. Otherwise all the cabling and hardware are standard Tyco network parts. 

• 09-19-2010 4:45 PM In reply to

jk1002:

Wasn't thinking through the missing masterlink thing earlier.

So that must mean that I have to connect it to the AUX in of my BC2 ....? Does it have its own Powerlink sockets?

Yes. Until there's a converter box, which may be a year or so from now, that is how it would be done. 

The BeoSound 5 Encore has a USB, Aux in, & headphone out on the outside and an Ethernet, USB, and PowerLink on the inside. 

• 09-19-2010 4:49 PM In reply to

Razlaw:

By multi source multi zone do you mean the new system will have the ability to play for instance CD in one room, TV,in another, N. music in a third all at the same time? What I am trying to figure out is this: I have held off from buying a Beosound 5 due to the inability to view cover art and make selections from the remote. It seems the Beo 6 solves this. We have multiple rooms master linked but I have no need or desire to listen to different sources in different rooms at the same time. Is there any benefit to to wait for the Encore or will the current 5 when used with a Beo 6 give me full control in whatever room I am in? With full cover art on the 6?

Razlaw,

Yes. That's what it means. Whether CD has a role to play in the future is doubtful, but conceptually you're on the right track. It means that if a source exists on the network, it will be able to be accessed and manipulated independently in every room.

I know that you've already invested in ML products, so the Encore would NOT be a solution for you. You will need the BeoSound 5 and then a few Beo6s to place around the house. The Encore is NOT ML capable so there would be no way to integrate with the TV let alone broadcast out to multiple rooms. 

And yes, the Beo6 will have cover art akin to the iPhone's coverflow. You will also be able to browse text lists by different sorting methods. It's awesome.

• 09-19-2010 4:56 PM In reply to

seethroughyou:

with the excitement and hub bub i am getting a bit confused...

where does that place folks like me that bought the Bs5 last year?

is my Bs5 now defunct?

what does the Bs5 have that the encore doesn't?

what does the encore have that the Bs5 doesn't?

Unsure

It puts you in a great position! The BeoSound 5 is going to get even better with upcoming software updates and even better than that with the addition of Beo6 remotes. 

The Encore is a BeoSound 5 without its own storage or memory, while the BeoSound 5 is an Encore with onboard memory and ML integration that has less focus on outside sources. 

See my post a while back on this thread where I describe scenarios where the BeoSound 5 Encore would make sense.

I, for example, will be buying an Encore despite already owning a BeoSound 5 to put in my home office where I do most of my music listening. It will use the BeoMaster 5 as its NAS and also connect to my iTunes library (which is distinct from the "family library" I share with my wife). In this way, the Encore is ideal.

Page 5 of 8 (191 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »