in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-09-2010 7:23 PM by njals_saga. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-02-2010 4:06 PM

vibrations causing records to skip

Hi all,

So I have my Beocentre 2200 sitting on a SC50 cabinet. I have old wooden floors in my apartment and am having trouble with vibrations from walking causing records to skip. Only taking absurdly tentative footsteps prevent this from happening. 

Is there a product or solution to stop this? I don't know, some kind of foam padding or something.

Thoughts welcome.

• 09-02-2010 4:23 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: vibrations causing records to skip

Is the tracking force set correctly ?

Martin

• 09-02-2010 4:29 PM In reply to

Just checked and yes it is. I don't think it's a system problem. Just those darn floorboards.

• 09-02-2010 4:36 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Well, if the whole furniture is wobbling around when you walk pass it, I am tempted to
    agree with you and in that case I hardly think we can do a lot to help you with this.
    I suppose lifting the furniture a bit off the floor and bolting it to the wall can be ruled out as a solution
    so maybe you should ask the question in a wooden floors forum somewhere ?  Laughing

Martin

• 09-02-2010 4:43 PM In reply to

Ha maybe.

Well I wouldn't say the whole cabinet wobbles. It's is imperceptible to the eye. And perhaps it's wrong to say that walking causes it, rather the running and stamping around of my young child. I exaggerated with the absurdly tentative steps remark. I know it never happens when I walk by  anyway. 

• 09-02-2010 5:52 PM In reply to

So you don't need the wooden floors forum after all ... just the "running and stamping child" forum Laughing

One of mine once "posted" a cheese sandwich into a VHS recorder's mouth and pushed it right to the back of its throat Laughing Laughing Laughing

Welcome to a new and terrifying reality

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 09-03-2010 12:21 AM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

Just do a search on eBay for "turntable isolation feet" and you'll find products such as this.   A better solution might be to place a folded towel under the Beocenter but this might well interfere with air circulation and cause overheating.

• 09-03-2010 6:50 AM In reply to

Or put a thick square single piece of wood under the stand to help take the vibrations away from the floor

Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill!!!

• 09-03-2010 10:40 AM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

I am not making this up.

Yesterday I was goofing off on The IntarWebs and came across a DIY isoloation project.

Picture the bottom half of a shallow wooden box, just larger than your turntable.

Got that picture in your head?  Now put an inflated bicycle tire inner tube (the kind for 20" BMX bikes) inside the box.  The inner tube isn't fully inflated - probably to 90% capacity.  The inner tube is sticking out of the shallow wooden box 1/2" to 1".

OK, now take a big ol' piece a wood, like a giant butcher block, and set that down centered over the inner tube and box.

Now place your turntable on the butcher block.

The creator of this DIY project said he did it all for less than $20 plus glue, stain and varnish he already had on hand.

If anyone really wants me to, I'll try to track down the site again.  (I'm goofing off on The IntarWebs again today Stick out tongue)

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 09-03-2010 1:49 PM In reply to

Silly question. Are the transit screws fully undone? I have had wooden floors and never had that problem.

• 09-03-2010 4:00 PM In reply to

Peter :

Silly question. Are the transit screws fully undone? I have had wooden floors and never had that problem.

or take a look at the picture Peter posted here Laughing

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/35259.aspx

Look at the shelf mount, and the feet supporting the beogram

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 09-09-2010 11:44 AM In reply to

Clamp the SC50 to the wall

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 09-09-2010 3:03 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Peter :

Exactly what I thought as I read through this thread. Records shouldn't skip just by walking past due to the internal supension.

The 3 transport screws are located under the platter which should be "springy" when they are released.

Chris.

EDIT - just read the bit about running children. If the transprt screws are released then another good way of isolating your deck is 4 hard compound squash balls in cups/rings - one under each corner.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 09-09-2010 7:23 PM In reply to

@elephant

@medogsfat

So it was indeed the transit screws that were the culprit. Full a bit silly now blaming the wooden floors. Problem solved. Thanks a million.

Thank god I tried your suggestion before I started messing about with squash balls.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)