in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-28-2011 4:42 PM by bhollenberg. 68 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-23-2010 12:12 PM In reply to

Re: Any BV 7-40 MK V owners out there?

fishta:

The new MKV appears to have no problems, I am very pleased with mine and love watching it every day. A lot of the issues in the early days of the MKIII were SW related and again this has now been ironed out.

Hi Fishta

Have you gotten the SW 9.01 with the Bang & Olufsen text in the lower right corner when starting up DTV yet? The reason i ask is because during startup, the whole screen is black (except the text) and it is therefore very easy to see the white spots if there are any, when watching in a dark room.

If you have that SW, please confirm that you see no white spots at all! This will help me get my replacement if true.

Thanks in advance

/Ehlerz

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 08-23-2010 2:45 PM In reply to

Ehlerz:

fishta:

The new MKV appears to have no problems, I am very pleased with mine and love watching it every day. A lot of the issues in the early days of the MKIII were SW related and again this has now been ironed out.

Hi Fishta

Have you gotten the SW 9.01 with the Bang & Olufsen text in the lower right corner when starting up DTV yet? The reason i ask is because during startup, the whole screen is black (except the text) and it is therefore very easy to see the white spots if there are any, when watching in a dark room.

If you have that SW, please confirm that you see no white spots at all! This will help me get my replacement if true.

Thanks in advance

/Ehlerz

Hi Ehlerz.

Though I'm not Fishta I provide my feedback. anyway :-) So today was the day. Panel swtich. My MK IV turned MK V in a two hour upgrade flight. Indeed (as you presumed) I now have a 200 Hz panel. Indeed I have the 9.01 software and indeed I have "the clouds". However, when they appear together with the B&O logo, they seem to somewhat fade while I look at them... This could be an optical illusion caused by my stare, but that is my feeling. I tried a couple of times switching between TV and clouds and I got that feeling all three times.

Although I find it strange that they occur, I must say they don't worry me that much. In the picture you refer to they are present, and I also wonder if it is some kind of makeup-gone-wrong trick from Struer. They do not seem to be present anywhere else, and I can find no signals (TV, Blu-ray or Apple TV) where I find them to cause any "damage" while watching.

So, since everything else now seems to be "hickadory hey" - I think I will settle with the status quo for now, and lift my eyes towards the heavens and Beovision 7-55. Wishful thinking that is...

/Jesper

BV 7-55, BL 7-4, BL 9's, BL 4's, BL 3's, BC 2300, Beo5, Beo4

• 08-23-2010 3:06 PM In reply to

takktakk:

Ehlerz:

fishta:

Hi Fishta

Thanks in advance

/Ehlerz

Hi Ehlerz.

Though I'm not Fishta I provide my feedback. anyway :-) So today was the day. Panel swtich. My MK IV turned MK V in a two hour upgrade flight. Indeed (as you presumed) I now have a 200 Hz panel. Indeed I have the 9.01 software and indeed I have "the clouds". However, when they appear together with the B&O logo, they seem to somewhat fade while I look at them... This could be an optical illusion caused by my stare, but that is my feeling. I tried a couple of times switching between TV and clouds and I got that feeling all three times.

Although I find it strange that they occur, I must say they don't worry me that much. In the picture you refer to they are present, and I also wonder if it is some kind of makeup-gone-wrong trick from Struer. They do not seem to be present anywhere else, and I can find no signals (TV, Blu-ray or Apple TV) where I find them to cause any "damage" while watching.

So, since everything else now seems to be "hickadory hey" - I think I will settle with the status quo for now, and lift my eyes towards the heavens and Beovision 7-55. Wishful thinking that is...

/Jesper

Hi again

Happy that your upgrade are finally done with success. You will later properly find that the white spots are present at all times when the picture is dark, at least they are on my set. But maybe they do not annoy you in the same way as they annoy me.  I also see them in dark movies, etc. 

The saddest thing is actually that i had the choice between a brand new MK IV and a MK V panel upgrade. Stupid as i am, i actually thought the MK V was better but boy was i wrong so far.

But enjoy your new tv, you are lucky you are not affected by the spots :-)

/Ehlerz

• 08-24-2010 7:03 AM In reply to

Thanks Ehlerz.

I will most certainly get back to you should they (the clouds) start disturbing my day to day use. That would be a different matter entirely, but it is a little early to state.

/jesper

BV 7-55, BL 7-4, BL 9's, BL 4's, BL 3's, BC 2300, Beo5, Beo4

• 08-28-2010 5:03 AM In reply to

I just had an interesting thought. It seems that the people experiencing the white clouds all had their panel changed/Updated. So far, there seems to be no buyers of the native MK V experiencing any trouble. Is there anyone who has just bought the BV 7.40 MK V that has the same issues?

After having the new panel for a while, i have now also experienced some other weird things. The lowest 5-10 cm of the panel seems to be refreshing at a slower rate than the other part of the panel. When watching a sceneshift in a movie, the old scene keeps hanging for a split second in the low part of the screen. It is also very obvious when sideways scrolling through my movies in Plex using media preview. Has anyone else had the same issue?

Thanks

/Ehlerz

• 08-28-2010 5:48 AM In reply to

Ehlerz:

After having the new panel for a while, i have now also experienced some other weird things. The lowest 5-10 cm of the panel seems to be refreshing at a slower rate than the other part of the panel. When watching a sceneshift in a movie, the old scene keeps hanging for a split second in the low part of the screen. It is also very obvious when sideways scrolling through my movies in Plex using media preview. Has anyone else had the same issue?

Artefacts like that are typical symptoms of frame rate conversions or frame rate mismatches. I would be wary of blaming (just) the TV if the source you are watching is a progressive image from a computer at a possibly non-native frame rate to the panel - do you see that when simply watching TV off the air?

-mika

• 08-28-2010 6:57 AM In reply to

Hi Tournedos.

The issue was not present on my old 100 hz MK IV panel. The computer runs as it did with the old panel, 1080P, 24p, and there was no issue back then. I havent tried changing the framerate yet but i can give it a go. Furthermore, because someone reported having issues while playing gameconsoles etc. B&O introduced game mode. But switching to gamemode has no effect on the pictureissue. I find it a bit strange that the possible mismatch you mention is only present in the lower part of the screen?

I havent notised anything yet on ordinary broadcasting and maybe there is no problem. But i use my tv for primarily watching movies from my mediacenter(mac mini) and this was flawless on 100 hz. Seems odd that doubling the hz cases this artifact doesent it?

/Ehlerz

UPDATED:

Tried switching from 24 hz to 50 and 60. This resolves the issue but i now cant play my ripped 24p movies anymore with a smooth picture. 24p worked perfectly on my old panel?????????? I just about had it with B&O. How they EVER call this 200 hz panel an update is beyond my understanding.  Does anyone else play 24p material from a computer on their MK V ?

/Ehlerz

• 08-28-2010 11:49 AM In reply to

That supports the theory of some kind of a frame rate conversion issue. It's only visible in the lower part of the screen, because otherwise you wouldn't be able to see it! This 'shearing' of the image can happen when a frame as drawn by the panel isn't completely in sync with a single frame (or field, in case of interlaced material) of the source, but is partly constructed from earlier and partly later source frames.

Since I don't know anything about the internal workings of these setups I can't start guessing where the problem might lay... but I suppose it is something that might be solved in the BS3 processing software. Upgrade one part of the signal chain to cutting edge and some other part may lag behind - that's modern TV technology I guess Unsure

-mika

• 08-28-2010 4:01 PM In reply to

tournedos:

That supports the theory of some kind of a frame rate conversion issue. It's only visible in the lower part of the screen, because otherwise you wouldn't be able to see it! This 'shearing' of the image can happen when a frame as drawn by the panel isn't completely in sync with a single frame (or field, in case of interlaced material) of the source, but is partly constructed from earlier and partly later source frames.

Since I don't know anything about the internal workings of these setups I can't start guessing where the problem might lay... but I suppose it is something that might be solved in the BS3 processing software. Upgrade one part of the signal chain to cutting edge and some other part may lag behind - that's modern TV technology I guess Unsure

I sure hope you are right about the SW update. But it still surprises me, that buyers of all new B&O products seems to be unvolunteer beta testers of their products. I know it is impossible to catch every flaw in the quality department, however i think its quite tragic of B&O to take a probably total functioning Samsung panel, and then ruin it. How is this possible? I cant imagine the panels has white spots all over the place and B&O has accepted these despite this. I mean, none of the samsung tv´s (LCD) i have seen has this issue.  

My Tv is going to Struer in next week, and after more than one year (!!!) of repairs without any luck, I will demand a new set.

/Ehlerz

• 08-29-2010 5:27 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Ehlerz:

If you move your head up and down and from side to side, the spots becomes much more apparent. 

Neck exercises? Confused I tend to sit in one place and remain still when watching something

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 08-29-2010 6:57 AM In reply to

Dave:

Ehlerz:

If you move your head up and down and from side to side, the spots becomes much more apparent. 

Neck exercises? Confused I tend to sit in one place and remain still when watching something

Haha, not my point exactly. My point is that depending on your viewing position the spots are more or less apparent, but definitely there regardless.

/Ehlerz

• 08-29-2010 1:56 PM In reply to

I upgraded from a faulty MKIV to a 7-55 December last year, and this TV has worked very well from the beginning. It came with SW 7.12 and for 2 days ago I had it upgraded to the newest (to get the new features), and it still works.

I am either very lucky, or this panel seems to be much better. I guess it is the same BS3 inside.

There is something about B&O.....

• 09-08-2010 12:00 PM In reply to

So B&O has just informed me that the white spots is not due to a faulty panel. They are as they put it, perfectly normal... (??)

SO anyone interested in trading a MK IV with 200 hz panel with deliberate white spots for an older MK IV with the 100 hz panel and no white spots?

/Ehlerz

• 09-08-2010 4:25 PM In reply to

• fishta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • London
    • Posts 79
    • Bronze Member

Mine definately does not have the white spots. I keep on meaning to take photo for you and upload. I will try to do so tomorrow.

BeoVision 7-40 MkV

• 09-09-2010 2:16 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Ehlerz:

So B&O has just informed me that the white spots is not due to a faulty panel. They are as they put it, perfectly normal... (??)

SO anyone interested in trading a MK IV with 200 hz panel with deliberate white spots for an older MK IV with the 100 hz panel and no white spots?

Don't downgrade, remember you found problems with the MK IV, too :)

Seriously, there are still MK IV issues around. I've had so much hassle, I've just decided to live with them.

• 09-09-2010 12:29 PM In reply to

moxxey:

Ehlerz:

Seriously, there are still MK IV issues around. I've had so much hassle, I've just decided to live with them.

Correct, I did find issues on the MK IV, but they were not as bad as now. I mean, constant white spots and even worse(?) the new panel does not support 24 hz playback through hdmi out of the box... So sorry to say it, for me this can never be an upgrade, regardles of contrastlevel, 200 hz etc. Actually, the things upgraded on this panel are the ones that cause all the trouble...(higher contrast = White spots, 200hz= non functioning mediacenter)

I dont know what to do anymore.

/Ehlerz

• 09-09-2010 12:29 PM In reply to

moxxey:

Ehlerz:

Correct, I did find issues on the MK IV, but they were not as bad as now. I mean, constant white spots and even worse(?) the new panel does not support 24 hz playback through hdmi out of the box... So sorry to say it, for me this can never be an upgrade, regardles of contrastlevel, 200 hz etc. Actually, the things upgraded on this panel are the ones that cause all the trouble...(higher contrast = White spots, 200hz= non functioning mediacenter)

I dont know what to do anymore.

/Ehlerz

• 09-09-2010 12:33 PM In reply to

fishta:

Mine definately does not have the white spots. I keep on meaning to take photo for you and upload. I will try to do so tomorrow.

I believe you Fishta.

However have you tried sitting in a pitchdark room turning your tv off? The official explanation for the white spots is that the higher contrastlevel produces a much better picture in a room with light, but the result of this higher contrast is white spots in a dark room..

I am even more interested in knowing if you have anything hooked up through hdmi(PS3, mini etc.)

/Ehlerz

• 09-09-2010 1:01 PM In reply to

• fishta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • London
    • Posts 79
    • Bronze Member

Hi Ehlerz,

I don't often sit in complete darkness with it on to be fair, but have seen the effect you mean on a BeoVision 10 and so am sure I would of noticed this.

Connected to my BV7 I have a Sky HD Box on HDMI, Apple TV on HDMI and Wii on Component.

I'm just about to leave woek now, when i get back I will darken the room and take a photo for you. I guess the best time do so would be when its booting Blu-Ray so that its just a Black Screen with the Bang & Olufsen text.

BeoVision 7-40 MkV

• 09-09-2010 2:07 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

fishta:

Hi Ehlerz,

I don't often sit in complete darkness with it on to be fair...

Doesn't anyone? The problem I have is that if really go *looking* for issues, you'll find them. I believe that people become so hooked on absolute perfection, that they'll never be happy.

• 09-09-2010 5:25 PM In reply to

• fishta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • London
    • Posts 79
    • Bronze Member

I have to agree Moxxey, I think sometimes people hear about an issue and instantly look for it and then become bugged by it. I have never had humming from my backlight or white patches when on a dark screen but to be honest when I watch TV I don't have it on mute so can only hear what I'm watching and neither do I stare at a dark screen in pitch black...

BUT I can understand the frustration of if I had noticed any of the things that plagued a BeoVision 7-40 having paid such a vast quantity of money and wanting to know that I had a perfect screen

Anyway pictures below as promised (taken on iPhone 4)

Without flash in dark room:-

B&O Boot

B&O Disc

With Flash in dark room

B&O Flas

BeoVision 7-40 MkV

• 09-09-2010 5:36 PM In reply to

• fishta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • London
    • Posts 79
    • Bronze Member

Now looking at the photos I have to admit I can see white "ghosting" I couldnt see it when actually taking the photos though, so I think the camera must enhance it!

No bother to me anyway because I still think it to be my best spend this year!

BeoVision 7-40 MkV

• 09-09-2010 5:55 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Nice S3 :)

• 09-10-2010 3:41 AM In reply to

• fishta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • London
    • Posts 79
    • Bronze Member

Thank you very much! That was my best spend of last year!!

I've just uploaded some more photos of the S3 from last January onto Flikr as well if you are interested. I got a Digital SLR last December and am still very much learning to get to grips with it but the photo's show my early attempts! (sorry for going off sunject!)

BeoVision 7-40 MkV

• 09-10-2010 8:49 PM In reply to

moxxey:

fishta:

Hi Ehlerz,

I don't often sit in complete darkness with it on to be fair...

Doesn't anyone? The problem I have is that if really go *looking* for issues, you'll find them. I believe that people become so hooked on absolute perfection, that they'll never be happy.

Really?? Moxxey, your point is very obviously that because you had trouble for to long, you have decided to live with that. How can you keep arguing that it is ok with issues on a 12.000 usd or whatever tv? Perfect that you have learnt to live with them, but that does not make them ok... B&O SHOULD if any be ABSOLUTELY perfection as nothing is more expensive.. How can you expect me to live with white spots AND crappy 24hz playback on my tv, costing the same as a medium car???. NOTHING makes these issues even near acceptable on a tv this expensive.  I respect that you might be a B&O addict as me, but when they screw up you have to be honest. (as I have already read you are in your other threads) If all of us being unsatisfied just keep saying " i Will live with that", B&O will never learn that they have screwed up BIG TIME with a lot of their latest products.

So, please be honest. The latest Bv7´s is absolutely unusable, but if you use it only for digital tv broadcasting, you will never know this...

But again, this fact does not make it acceptable...

/Ehlers

Page 2 of 3 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >