in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-08-2008 1:08 PM by ipaul. 31 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-25-2007 4:11 PM

Sometimes people here discuss their favourite piece of B&O, i may have gotten mine yesterday: a 1938 BM38K in working condition, looks fine and with original cable etc.
    Now by coincidence this (i think) rare radio is also for sale on German Ebay, sold as 'in original condition' (by someone Martin knows....).
    However, looking through the holes in the back i saw mine has a big speaker from B&O with Kino Perma written on it.
    The one on Ebay has a Peerless speaker mounted on a piece of wood which doesn't look like it's from 1938.
    Who knows what's original, at least one of us (Mr. Ebay or me) has to be unlucky, unless there were several versions again....???

• 06-25-2007 4:35 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: BM38K

The Master 38K has the white background dial and "real" speaker cloth (like yours).

It looks very similar to the Master Deluxe 38 which is
    in fact a completely different and considerably larger (!) radio with
    black background dial and rattan "cloth" speaker cover.

They are often confused.
    Both are nice radios but, as said, very different.
    The Master Deluxe 38 weighs apprx 22 Kgs and is a whopping 65cm wide
    (just measured mineGeeked) and the speaker is also much larger than that of the Master 38K.

My Master 38K is not within reach right now but I agree that the Peerless speaker doesn't look right on the one currently at Ebay and neither does the baffleboard. I would have expected a speaker from B&O's own production.

Wonderful piece, you got there !

Martin

edit: I just checked, the servicemanual gives the Master 38K speaker as a Perma Kino I, so yours are correct.

• 06-25-2007 4:59 PM In reply to

Thanks Martin, so you have the service manual....hmm...would love to spend a week photocopying all these old manuals you have (for some of the other oldies i have).
    Anyway, indeed the one on Ebay doesn't look that 'original' and that's maybe why nobody bid on it the first round (it was offered before) although the price isn't high for a pre-ww2 radio.
    Well, hope a potential buyer realises this, i would be really dissapointed finding out 'afterwards' ...
  • 06-25-2007 5:03 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Yes, apart from the speaker the rest looks absolutely fine.
    I didn't know that it was listed for the second time around. If the price was the same I am also surprised that it didn't sell the first time.
    All pre-WW2 B&O are greatly sought after and normally highly valued.

Problem with the older manuals is that they remain the property of B&O, they are clearly marked so and as such are not legally copied and distributed by others ...
    Only way to go (legally) is through B&O or their distributors or by finding original manuals. Not all people take this seriously but I am not willing to get B&O angry in a copyright issue.

Martin

• 06-25-2007 5:08 PM In reply to

Now we're showing off :):), this one is also nice: BM43, it being from IN WW2 makes it even more interesting i find, this one is also in my small collection and was the oldest piece until yesterday.

Yes, i was also really amazed it wasn't sold last time, if you see the 50's models going for 130-250 euro, but yeah, maybe people bidding on these do know what to look (out) for ??

Just kidding on the copying bit, but i like to have as much 'things' related to such a radio as i can, one may need it in future...:)
    I think if i go to a dealer and order the service doc for a BM38 i'm not getting anywhere.
    Having a bit of experience with B&O and on one side knowing how they (not) care about their oldies and on the other side knowing how very easy they were (well: B&O Netherlands when they still existed) with handing out photocopies of anything you wanted i doubt they care...
    Actually it would be nice to get official permission to publicise old (obsolete) docs like Studer/Revox did, there's no commercial interest anyway and it helps to keep the old-timers moving.

• 06-25-2007 5:13 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

A Master 43K (not a Beomaster...!).
    Wonderful piece in great condition !

Very clear to see that this design lasted and was used on
    several models to come, even into the 50's with only minor changes.
    Denmark was occupied under WW2 and getting parts and resources was very hard.

Love the speaker cloth, it's original and hardly replaceable ...

Martin

• 06-25-2007 5:21 PM In reply to

It's great, isn't it, i also like the speaker cloth with the leaves, i think all of these radios have a different pattern....
    Also the desing is very much like an old Dutch Erres (i think it was the 146 or 164) which is also pre-WW2.
    Don't know if this one still works, when i get more space i'll carefully give it a go with the aid of an experienced tube radio person (with variac etc).

Btw maybe you know this: in Holland during WW2 people were summoned to hand in their radio's which is why overhere radio's from pre-ww2 or even more during ww2 are kind of rare (even Philips).
    Did the same thing happen in Denmark ??
    Could it also be that some B&O pre-ww2 radios made it (were sold) into Germany, hence 'survived' ww2 ??
    If only these old pieces could talk....well, in a way they can but i mean if they could only tell their stories...:).
  • 06-25-2007 5:35 PM In reply to

Dillen:

Yes, apart from the speaker the rest looks absolutely fine.
    I didn't know that it was listed for the second time around. If the price was the same I am also surprised that it didn't sell the first time.
    All pre-WW2 B&O are greatly sought after and normally highly valued.

Problem with the older manuals is that they remain the property of B&O, they are clearly marked so and as such are not legally copied and distributed by others ...
    Only way to go (legally) is through B&O or their distributors or by finding original manuals. Not all people take this seriously but I am not willing to get B&O angry in a copyright issue.

Martin

I think selling the manuals is probably a copyright problem though exactly how much interest B&O has in these older manuals is debatable. I will post any of the older manuals on site if donated! Busy scanning as many as I can this end! This is obviously for no gain for me! 

• 06-25-2007 5:57 PM In reply to

It's hard to guess their policy on this: i've repaired piles of MX's etc and when B&O Netherlands still existed i could get anything copied from them  (provided they have it).....that is...., up 'till the Avant.
    From there all of a sudden it's kind of impossible to get the doc, not even through a dealer !!
    It seems like a sudden swing in policy (maybe they were afraid technology used in the Avant to be copied ??, can't blame them for it...).
    Nevertheless, it might be worthwhile getting official permission to build up an old/obsolete service doc library...
  • 06-25-2007 6:01 PM In reply to

I have about 100 or so! The Avant is around (I have a copy!) The problem is that they are usually much less useful as circuit diagrams are usually not provided. It is all module replacement these days.
  • 06-25-2007 6:12 PM In reply to

Yeah, that's the next thing....
    However, the older Avant is still rather serviceable on component level, but when i wanted to buy the doc (and diagram i hope) for my 100 Hz VHS-Avant i got a 'no can do' from the dealer...
    Oh well, giving it a try without doc keeps the brains working :):)
  • 07-04-2007 5:12 PM In reply to

More on the Master 38 offered again on Ebay: again it didn't get sold with a starting price of 250 euro.
    On the other hand, the earlier discussed beolit 500 was offered on German Ebay (with some damage) and sold for....4 euro 2 cents !!
  • 09-15-2008 12:25 PM In reply to

Just one small thing more on the Master 38 (probably Martin knows..:).): on the site of Jan Thogersen there's a pic of this one but with a kind of rainbow coloured stripe speaker cloth, while mine has just 'cream' colour plain speakercloth.
    Which one is original or could both be original ?
  • 09-15-2008 6:01 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I doubt the one on Thogersens website has the correct speaker cloth, it makes the whole thing look strange, I think. I saw a couple of Master 38K's and they were all like the one picture in the first post of this thread. That includes my own.

B&O did experiment with patterns and figures but it was on a limited number of models, the Master 43K springs to mind. The one pictured on Thogersens website is just like another one I've seen by a fellow collector so I suppose must be original.

Thogersen also has a blue PIONEER 511K that obviously isn't correct either. That's collecting. Yes -  thumbs up

Martin

• 09-16-2008 7:49 AM In reply to

Thanks Martin, i agree with you that the colour stripe cloth looks strange on it, doesn't go well with the 2 silver bars, actually i was hoping you'd seen more of those (master38) so that would clear it up, which it did.
    The one in the first post here is actually mine and i was told it was original (therefore the confusion with the speakerclothes).

>>B&O did experiment with patterns and figures but it was on a limited number of models, the Master 43K springs to mind. The one pictured on Thogersens website is just like another one I've seen by a fellow collector so I suppose must be original.<<

I assume you refer to the Master 43 here, you're right: also in this thread i put a pic of my Master 43 which also has the leaves but of coure 'a different piece of the same cloth' but we can safely assume this is original :)

Paul.
  • 10-02-2008 6:31 AM In reply to

You guys spoiled some of the fun of waiting by reviving this topic a couple of weeks ago, but anyway - look here! The girlfriend made me buy this! Laughing

It is even supposed to be working, but I'm not going to power it up until I've made some security checks, and I need to remove the transport supports the seller has put inside the radio. Stupid question: how do I open this?  The back panel seems to pull off, but the power cord end is not moving. Do I just pull off the round thingy with the power cord?

-mika

• 10-02-2008 7:21 AM In reply to

Congratulations on your purchase. It's worth buying just for the dial which is a brilliant piece of design!

Simon

• 10-02-2008 11:06 AM In reply to

Sure is. Quite gorgeous!

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 10-02-2008 12:50 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Lucky you Mika!

Hope it performs as good as it looks - quite stunningSmile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 10-02-2008 1:02 PM In reply to

Thank you Smile The dial was actually the thing that got my attention instantly! I would've paid the price for just the looks of this radio even if it didn't work at all.

Yes, the back cover came off, the power cord plug is keeping it in place. I removed the newspaper pieces that were stuffed in, and as everything looked pretty neat and clean, had the courage to plug the radio in and turn it on. It works! I get strong reception on the SW 18-54 m scale with just a length of wire stuck in the antenna socket. Other scales give mostly interference, maybe they have a problem or I have too many computers on... Other than that, the tuning controls seem to slip a little and need attention.

Looks like I have another piece of B&O kit I'll never sell!

-mika

• 10-02-2008 1:35 PM In reply to

Hi Mika, congrats with the Master 38, it looks nice and original (i assume you've read the previous postings here..).
    So that makes us 3 lucky owners of this one (btw mine also works...): you, Martin and your's truly.
    Only one remark of you i found interesting (usually on this site you read the opposite !!): you stated your girlfriend made you buy it ???:):)
  • 10-02-2008 2:00 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Congratulations on your purchase Mika. She looks gorgeous.
    One you can pass down to your grandchildren and their grandchildren.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 10-02-2008 2:36 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Congratulations ! Definitely a nice piece.  Yes -  thumbs up

Martin

• 10-02-2008 2:46 PM In reply to

ipaul:
    Hi Mika, congrats with the Master 38, it looks nice and original (i assume you've read the previous postings here..).
    So that makes us 3 lucky owners of this one (btw mine also works...): you, Martin and your's truly.
    Only one remark of you i found interesting (usually on this site you read the opposite !!): you stated your girlfriend made you buy it ???:):)

Yes, I read the whole thread - actually found it only after buying this when I did a search for any previous talk on the subject. This one has the Perma Kino speaker as well. And it really was the girlfriend's fault - I showed the listing to her saying "I don't know if I should bid on this or not..." and she said yes, you do Laughing I had doubts only because I was pretty sure the poor radio wouldn't survive the travel, but it was packed very carefully.

-mika

• 10-02-2008 3:52 PM In reply to

Cool...where did it come from ? (you got it from an auction site and had it shipped ??).
    I'm sure it'll 'outlive' the later generation (plastic) systems, which in a way will make it more of a challenge in future to find these in a good condition :).
    But these old radio's...all wood, metal...with a little bit of tlc it'll last longer than us :).
Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >