in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-14-2011 8:42 AM by kallasr. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-06-2010 5:40 AM

BS2 Speaker Setup

Sorry i can't find anything in the user or reference manuals or the forum to resolve this in menu options, my difficulty is:

On RF and scart audio source input to my (newly purchased not quite got going yet) BS2 MKIII, the sound is only working properly if "NONE" speakers are selected in the sound setup.  Haven't access to ML where i am testing this BS2 so don't know if ML audio will be the same.

If i select any type of speakers, even the ones being used (6000's) then the voice content is at a lower volume than the music content.  It's like hearing a distant conversation while hearing music right next to you.  There is a bit of drifting in volume as well i think.

Sound will only output from the FRONT speaker sockets, regardless of setting up front & rear speakers in setup, although if a speaker is connected to the rear socket it will come on during selection of the option (anything but "NONE") and it will go off again when the option is confirmed with "GO"  The manual instructs the speaker type should be set in the FRONT heading if only one pair of speakers is being used, if no speakers are in use then set to NONE.  I can't see B&O intending the setting = NONE being the correct way to get satisfactory sound output, as i am having to do.

In the sound system menu, the only setting available when FRONT & REAR speakers are selected is Dolby 3.  if NONE is selected this changes to mono/stero.  In the Speaker Mode menu (only available when FRONT & REAR speakers are selected) changing settings makes no difference to the sound output - sound only works properly when NONE is selected.

This is the last issue with my "suspect" BS2 so hopefully someone can point me in the right direct please, i would like to be able to connect more than just the FRONT speakers

Regards,   Martin

Filed under:
  • 07-06-2010 5:49 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Re: BS2 Speaker Setup

Martin,

maybe it was used in a link system, so you need to reconfigure it to video option 1?

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 07-06-2010 10:44 AM In reply to

Hi Ralf,  checked in the service menu, the BS2 is set to option 1.  Have connected a DVD player to STB / DTV scart, perfect picture on CRT monitor and sound through the 6000 speakers very very good but still only when NONE speakers is selected in sound setup options.

easy to jump to conclusion that BS2 audio processor might be faulty but everything else seems to work - should the BS2 output sound at all on powerlink when it's being told there are "NONE" speakers connected?

Can anyone confirm if the above characteristics are typical of a BS2 sound fault?  If is is a fault is there a full reset proceedure that might clear a glitch?

Regards, Martin

• 07-06-2010 11:01 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Martin,

I need to get a CRT Monitor hooked up first (to see the menus....), then use a paper-clip to connect pin 2 + 3 on the rs 232 (is this possible? Maybe using a gender changer?) to trick the BS2. What CRT Monitor do you have? Any model nr. available?

Can you confirm the paper-clip method?

Thanks!

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 07-06-2010 11:38 AM In reply to

It's a CTX (Taiwan) dinosaur - probably about 7 years old.  Model is VL701 and the label states "50/60Hz"  I know the BS2 VGA pinouts are exactly the same as a standard PC VGA monitor but have not been able to get LCD PC displays working - might be the 50Hz thing.  I would hazzard a guess that for some reason most older CRT monitors will display from the BS2.  I saw some settings while i was in the service menu for changing the display type - i only risked one change and it didn't stop my monitor working - a PC monitor monitor might be generic enough to work - i see form many postings the display settings seem to be the most problematic in solving

A paper clip might enlarge your gender changer pin holes (the BS2 is a 9 pin D-sub male out) but it will work.  Another way is to cut off the female end of an old serial lead, leaving a few inches of wire, identify wires to pins 2 & 3 and twist them together, insulation stripped of course.   If you are going to destroy an old lead you might want to check pins 2 & 3 are actually connected, if it is a moulded plug check pin to pin (2 will probably go to 3 and 3 will go to 2 at opposite ends -  a crossover lead)

Cheers

• 07-06-2010 5:31 PM In reply to

I have tried Video Option 1, 2 and 6, still the sound is poor when any type of speaker is selected except "NONE"

I have tried selecting 6000's front & 6000' rear (with a 6000 plugged into the rear sockets) - the speaker switches on (but sure no sound is coming out of it) when the selection is made and as soon as the menu is exited the speaker switches off again

I have tried changes in all the user and service menus - still no luck, could it possibly be because there is no ML link connected at the moment?

I can now get the PIN code menus, have bought a B&O IR receiver now

Regards,  Martin

• 07-07-2010 12:50 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

The reference guide says:

"If you have only one set of speakers, set ‘Front’ to ‘None’ – NOT to your speaker type!"

Page 14.

Did you check this?

Ralf

• 07-07-2010 4:23 PM In reply to

Hi Ralf,   I missed that!  Mind at rest now but raised another question:  When "NONE" is selected, the SubWoofer YES / NO option isn't available.  Is this because this multiple speaker dialogue is about suround sound and not speaker matching?

In other words, if you have a Beolab 2 but no second pair of speakers, you must choose NONE and connect the Beolab 2 via the Powerlink off one of the front speaker output sockets, then daisy chain the end of line speaker out of the Beolab 2?  It works like this so sorry for wasting anyones time if this is obvious. 

My CTX CRT monitor died today so i coudn't alter settings to try sound performance with four speakers connected.  A Samsung 46" LED won't support the BS2 RGB, it has a slot for common interface though.

Do you think the reason why the single rear speaker i had connected (leaving only one connected to one of the front speaker sockets) shut down when the BS2 exited programming is because the BS2 knew there wasn't a second speaker connected to the other front socket?

Regards,  Martin

• 07-14-2010 5:25 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

I did it ... so far.

Philips Brilliance 109P Monitor picked up for 5 Euro.

Connected the gender changer on the serial, installed the paperclip. First: nothing.... lot of tries etc... Then read through the service manual on this site - and found out that pin 2 and 3 are counted a little different than, let's say, usually.

So Beosystem 2 works connected to the CRT monitor.

Tomorrow I will pick-up a 42 inch Panasonic professial display (D6, just 852 x 480 px) and see how this will work using the serial connection.

Any hints on the service menu of the Panasonic, e.g. values that need to be adjusted?

Another issue: I have just 2 speakers I want to use with the screen and the beosystem 2 - a pair of Beolab 4500. I cannot choose this in the setup menu of the beosystem 2. Do I need to connect them as center speakers with a y-cable? Or can I omit the center and use the beolabs as fronts?

EDIT - just found out: "If you have only one set of speakers, connect these to the sockets marked FRONT." (reference book)

Thanks for your help!

Ralf

PS: If there is interest, I can make a photo, what to buy, etc. thread of setting up a beosystem 2 with a panasonic professional panel - once I succeed in doing it.... ;-)

• 07-14-2010 10:55 AM In reply to

Hi Ralf, just back on line myself with an AOC CRT, £5 me too from my friendly computer shop

The 9 pin d-sub is numbered correctly on mine, allways count from the reverse (wiring) of the socket / plug.  There are ususally tiny numbers against the holes / pins but i'mm too old now to read these without a magnifier.  I did find the VGA pinnouts were shown different on the service manual between versions BS2 MKII and MKIII. The MKIII uses a standard VGA pinnout configuration.

I have had this now for nearly three weeks and am beggining to be very impressed by it - all seems to work very well despite being told to expect horrendous lip synch issues.  With help from Peter and Stefan and continually looking back at what i've been told by them and you - i have managed to learn enough to check everything needed does work.

Looked at the service menu for the Plasma setup and daren't change anything in case the CRT stops working, have concluded i'm not going to get my Samsung LED to work unless i buy an expensive scaler or possibly a Common Interface card to convert 576P to one of the input formats the TV will handle.  I know i have seen a thread here giving the setting chosen for a given display, i would make sure your info is correct before changing in case you loose the menu ability!!

Didin't you tell me before about needing to select "none" if only one pair of speakers was connected, the FRONT bit is nearby!!!

Allthough i have no lip synch issues, i have had to make a 3500 in the same room, mounted above the Samsung, a link only product in the option setting so it doesn't come on with the 4000's when DTV is selected unless link is selected first.  If it's on the sound is via the ML and is out of synch with BS2 direct speaker outputs. 

I've tried adjusting the sound output delay in SKY services settings to as much as 200mS but no joy.  It doesn't add much if on anyway (i am not using the TV speakers either).  For the last time i hope,  i have not found a "fault" with my used BS2 - the unballanced speaker issue i first reported not understanding until you told me to select "NONE", was resolved by reading page 10 of the user guide.  I couldn't do this last week as the monitor died on me, just tried it, selected Beolab4000's as front speakers and YES for subwoofer.  Then selected 2 via the beo4 (list, speakers) for front speakers in stereo and subwoofer (Beolab 2).  All works fine and tested OK with two more 4000's connected temporarily to the rear speakers.

Sorry i don't know what the best match would be as an alternative for your 4500's, mine doesn't have that in the list either.

I think everytone will benefit from the knowledge base you suggest, a lot of is obvious now but when your'e faced with black box you can't even turn on it must be usefull to others to know how to get past the first hurdle.

Regards,  Martin

• 07-15-2010 12:59 PM In reply to

I'm trying to understand your soundproblem.

But if you only have just 2 speakers attached to front and the centre isn't used, you always have to use the SPEAKER 2 option.

You start the set and then via the Beo4 you give the speaker 2 instruction. Then the (Centre) dialog will be re-routed to the frontspeakers.

The standard speaker option is always 3-stereo if you have attached and installed the front speakers.

The panel option settings doesn't change your RGB in your VGA-video. It has probably more to do with the different (memory)adresses for brightness and contrast for active controlling.  

• 07-15-2010 1:02 PM In reply to

Lotus1:

Then selected 2 via the beo4 (list, speakers) for front speakers in stereo and subwoofer (Beolab 2).  All works fine and tested OK with two more 4000's connected temporarily to the rear speakers.

Sorry for the above placed posting. Didn't read thoroughly.

• 07-15-2010 2:42 PM In reply to

Thanks for that Beobuddy,  both your comments have added understanding to 1: why the sound setting changes make a difference, rather than having to accept the BS2 has greater intelligence than me and 2: we can now procceed with concentarting on scalers or other convertors to upscale the 576P to something else the TV's will accept

I think i read somewhere that the serial interface was for the contrast / brightness of the BV4 and assume the Plasma panel info settings will be related to the serial port rather than the RGBHV port?  We are using loopback plugs but if anyone has an oscillicope and the time to watse this could be confirmed.

I have sent for a cheap VGA to HDMI convertor that claims being able to handle RGB at 50Hz, it has a D-sub connector in and Yp etc phono sockets - but no phono sockets for HV or mention of HV, i'll try it and if it works i'll update this thread with details of what it is.  If it doesn't work, rather than £200 + for a scaler i'll be satisfied with a 5" CRT to use the menus, if i can get one, i have nowhere for a full size monitor and it isn't likely i'll need to see what's happening volume wise once balance and sub level is set up.

Regards,   Martin

• 07-17-2010 11:00 AM In reply to

Why would you buy a scaler?

If you purchase a panel that can handle 50hz RGB through VGA, then you ready. It will scale the video-signal itself.

Panasonic uses a general procotol for controlling the commercial panels. The cheapest way is to find a D6 or higher (till D8 you can modify it yourself) and re-program by hand some settings inside the panel. Amongst the controlling instructions is the on/off instruction to switch the panel on/off.

Then the panel will be recognized by the system2.

• 07-17-2010 6:09 PM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Ok, next step taken.

Bought a commercial display from Panasonic TH-42PWD6, attached it via VGA and RS232 to the Beosystem 2...

... and it just works!

TV command starts on DECODER Scart (as programmed) and the panel is switched on.

Just bought a wall mount and a standard IR transmitter/blaster cable to integrate my Set Top Box. Those will be here sometime next week.

Will write a summary with pictures as soon as I finish this project.

By the way, we have a Beosystem 5500 in the same room that I would like to integrate for radio/cd. A Beolink Converter 1611 or 1614 should do the job, right?

I know I could very easily intregate a Beosound 3000 we use but as a collector I would love to keep the Beosystem 5500!

Thanks for all the help, great forum!

Ralf

• 07-18-2010 1:35 PM In reply to

kallasr:

TV command starts on DECODER Scart (as programmed) and the panel is switched on.

Can you explain what you mean by this?

Normally the TV command starts the analog TV tuner inside the BS2.

You can download the (D6)panel manual from this site. In this manual is explained how to make the D6 a "real" B&O panel.

The service remote can be made by yourself from the original one. Just open the remote and make the smal holes.

But before you reprogram the panel, can you see (by using the original pana menu) the contrast and brightness being controlled by the ir-eye (only if you have a mkII or III) ?

• 07-18-2010 7:54 PM In reply to

Page 1 of 2:

Hi Beobuddy, Thanks again for the good advice.  I had considered more than just displaying output from the BS2 (only) and these were my needs in priority order, and all 5 criteria had to be satisfied:

1; The TV had to be as close as possible in width as the Beolab 3500 mounted above it (it’s not a centre speaker or in the right place below the TV I know but all the other 3500’s are above doorways etc so having one below the TV was not wanted) The Samsung UE46C52100 is 1,107mm and the 3500 is 1,110mm.  That’s close and it looks great. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/product-description/B003DNSJ18/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=560798&s=electronics

2: I wanted a TV with high picture quality, longevity and a slim profile.  The edge of the TV can be seen going into the room so it had to be as thin as possible.  There is the possibility that CCTV camera images may be left displayed for days, saw this as a risk of burning a fixed image if it was a plasma.  Apart from that the BS2 would have to be on if the UHF modulated cameras were connected through the BS2, a plasma doesn’t always have a tuner, does it?  This would turn the Beolabs on unnecessarily and I would have to sort alternative attenuation or get hissing from no audio coming with the cameras, then not get audio from other sources if just displaying cameras.

3; I wanted to future proof the set up with as many input functions direct to the TV as possible, the UE46C5100 does that with 2 x USB’s, direct PC input (not having to disconnect the BS2 as it says in the manual) 4 x HDMI, scart, UHF / digital terrestrial Component, digital audio out, RJ45 network port and then a CI card slot!

4; I only bought the BS2 to enable Beolab 6000’s and a  Beolab 2 to be the speakers and to be able to play other sources like CD and radio from other rooms, I didn’t get bogged down with trying to get as good as possible HD through a “not sure if it can do that” TV, uncertainty of what and how was more risky to me than dealing with the certainty the UE46C5100 TV would work then dealing with getting the BS2 to work the speakers (I did my first post on just getting the BS2 to switch on)

• 07-19-2010 2:24 AM In reply to

Page 2 of 2

5; The SKY HD was in another room with an Avant so it was obvious the box would have to be located with the BS2 and within HDMI cable length of the UE TV.  Audio goes to BS2 decoder scart and video / audio to the TV via HDMI.  The remote eye works the SKY box fine and the BS2 menus.  All works fine except not being able to display the menus on the Samsung TV.   Using a PC monitor during trials at the moment and as far as I can see there might never be a need to change settings that need visual feedback like balance etc, once these are set comfortably.

I think I have done a good job and have the best of both worlds, if my cheap converter works then I have cracked it, haven’t I?  My reservations are myself not fully understanding HD possibilities of the BS2,  that by now may be medalling you I have ignored, there are many posts here that users ask this question, I haven’t got to a straight answer yet.

I admit these links are research after your last post but I think are valid: No HD connection on Panasonic TH-42PWD6 http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/545436-no-hdmi-connection-my-panasonic-th-42pwd6.html

That forum says full HD from a SKY HD box is not possible on Ralfs’ plasma because of  “HDCP” built into the pana: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

A depth of 100mm yes 100mm on the Panasonic plasma is no good to me http://www1.dealtime.co.uk/xPO-Panasonic-TH-46PZ80B The Samsung is only 30mm deep at it thickest part, looks like a sheet of glass at the outer edges - the part most prominent.

I fear this length of post may overlook the help Ralf wanted in his last post:

By the way, we have a Beosystem 5500 in the same room that I would like to integrate for radio/cd. A Beolink Converter 1611 or 1614 should do the job, right?

I know I could very easily intregate a Beosound 3000 we use but as a collector I would love to keep the Beosystem 5500!

Could you help there please?  Regards,  Martin

• 07-19-2010 3:16 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Beobuddy:

kallasr:

Can you explain what you mean by this?

Normally the TV command starts the analog TV tuner inside the BS2.

You can download the (D6)panel manual from this site. In this manual is explained how to make the D6 a "real" B&O panel.

The service remote can be made by yourself from the original one. Just open the remote and make the smal holes.

But before you reprogram the panel, can you see (by using the original pana menu) the contrast and brightness being controlled by the ir-eye (only if you have a mkII or III) ?

TV starts on analog tuner at startup, but in the settings I have just one analog programme and chose decoder yes. So it will use the STB/Decoder Scart. I just ordered a IR blaster and will change this to DTV STB as it arrives.

I will do test on the auto contrast etc. later this week and give feedback.

Will check the D6 service manual as well.

Ralf

• 07-19-2010 3:27 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Lotus1:

Page 2 of 2

5; The SKY HD was in another room with an Avant so it was obvious the box would have to be located with the BS2 and within HDMI cable length of the UE TV.  Audio goes to BS2 decoder scart and video / audio to the TV via HDMI.  The remote eye works the SKY box fine and the BS2 menus.  All works fine except not being able to display the menus on the Samsung TV.   Using a PC monitor during trials at the moment and as far as I can see there might never be a need to change settings that need visual feedback like balance etc, once these are set comfortably.

I think I have done a good job and have the best of both worlds, if my cheap converter works then I have cracked it, haven’t I?  My reservations are myself not fully understanding HD possibilities of the BS2,  that by now may be medalling you I have ignored, there are many posts here that users ask this question, I haven’t got to a straight answer yet.

I admit these links are research after your last post but I think are valid: No HD connection on Panasonic TH-42PWD6 http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/545436-no-hdmi-connection-my-panasonic-th-42pwd6.html

That forum says full HD from a SKY HD box is not possible on Ralfs’ plasma because of  “HDCP” built into the pana: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

A depth of 100mm yes 100mm on the Panasonic plasma is no good to me http://www1.dealtime.co.uk/xPO-Panasonic-TH-46PZ80B The Samsung is only 30mm deep at it thickest part, looks like a sheet of glass at the outer edges - the part most prominent.

It is a low-res plasma screen, 852 x 480 for TV NTSC/PAL signals.

As a secondary TV it is sufficient. We watch TV and recorded movies (PAL), using a Dreambox 7000 connected via Scart.

For HD there is a Pioneer Kuro with PS3, WD Live TV HD etc.

We could upgrade to a hi-res Plasma Screen and a Dreambox 800 HD (DVI to HDMI! - No HDCP issues!), but for the moment this seems to be a good solution. Paid 120 Euro for the display...

Ralf

• 07-19-2010 11:25 AM In reply to

Hi Lotus1,

I've noticed that you took some time to consider about the best solution for your situation.

That's good.

For me, I also want to connect several sources to the BV5. And by fitting a DVI module (with HDCP) and a component module into the screen itself, I can control these inputs just as easily as the other (scart)sources with the Beo4 without the use of an extra module (eg Lintronic or other remote).

And that's just one of my demands.

My BV5 is almost 1 meter away from the wall behind it, as it is an icon itself. I don't want it to be placed against the wall.

So everyone differs.

BTW, if had a topfield 7710 HD connected through HDMI to my DVI connector and I could watch BBC HD. The (screen)resolution then is higher then SD, but of course not full HD. But it is an improvement without HDCP obstacles.

• 07-19-2010 3:13 PM In reply to

Hi Beobuddy, the project has taken a long time yes and I think it’s been worth it.

The HD picture quality is stunning on the Samsung and I believe out ways the loss of B&O product uniformity not to mention the high cost comparison of a BV TV.

All the inputs capabilities are built in and I was adamant I wouldn’t have to go cap in hand to B&O for extra modules and software after not going through with a large purchase of new TV’s and speakers – I’ve bought all used from eBay and all items look no different to the existing.

Using the Samsung remote isn’t really a problem, it would have to be used to access the extraordinary functions anyway.  I might consider the Lintronic though.

The only place for the TV is on a chimney *** wall so it had to be as slim as possible, if I had a BV5 I would make it a feature as do you.

My “scaler” doesn’t work, it has YpbPr but no HV input.  It was sold to me as a VGA to HDMI converter for PC to TV etc, I knew it didn’t have HV but thought it was worth a try.  It would be nice to see the menus in normal use but not at the cost of £300+  If anyone can advise me of a scaler at under £100 I would like to hear please.

I can’t go back to anything less than HD now, I think that’s all, thanks for all the help

• 07-20-2010 3:43 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Beobuddy:

Hello Beobuddy,

I have a MKIII Beosystem 2. I saw no changes in the picture putting my hand on the ir-eye. Are you sure there is a sensor in the eye?

I did not yet reprogram the panel, just a quick test yesterday evening - before heading to the beer garden Big Smile

Best regards

Ralf

• 07-20-2010 2:33 PM In reply to

If you have the original ir-eye, which comes with the BS2, then you should have active controlling contrast and brilliance.

But probably only when the panel has been recognized as a real B&O panel.

The MKII and mkIII differs from the mkI. The mkI doesn't have this feature.

I've placed on youtube a small video which shows my BV5 with the same feature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DskNJJC2sqI

• 07-21-2010 2:04 PM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Hi beobuddy & lotus1,

after I set the values according to the d6 service manual found on beoworld the settings for the picture are adjusted "on the fly" when I cover the ir eye. Great feature!

Now waiting for an IR/STB cable (first I want to try with a cheaper one)...

I will hopefully pick up a cabinet 2168 in silver tomorrow.

Then installation (wall mounting etc.) can start. I will post pictures later on.

Thanks for the help!

Best regards

Ralf

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >