in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-11-2011 3:24 PM by rabble. 44 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (45 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-26-2010 8:45 AM In reply to

• classic
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Venø - Struer / Denmark
    • Posts 224
    • Founder

Re: Beolab 5000 system

soundproof:

Hello Frede - do you have similar interior photos of the Beolab 5000?

Sorry No, I have the photo's but not on the web. I might do that one day but right now I have too many activities Wink - I am planning a redesign of the Beolab site and I will also enclose all the info I have re. different versions and more.

I will be happy to send you a photo ?

/Frede

Beolab 5000 -  "If another amplifier sounds different then it needs repair!"

Filed under:
  • 11-17-2010 3:24 PM In reply to

• rabble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 75
    • Bronze Member

Today I received my second Beogram 3000 Type 5228. (This first one arrived smashed). This one is in visually perfect condition. I don't think it looked better the day that it was purchased new (including the dust cover). I have no manual and am now stummped. If I turn the unit to on (any size) and push the Lift button, I hear a click and the little orange light goes on. Nothing else or even noise. Am I missing something or is it dead.                       (it was supposed to be perfect ) All the transport screws have been released.

Thanks for your help

Andrew

Andrew

• 11-17-2010 3:43 PM In reply to

Is the belt on?

• 11-17-2010 5:04 PM In reply to

• rabble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 75
    • Bronze Member

yes it is

Andrew

• 11-17-2010 6:17 PM In reply to

Loose connection to motor?

• 11-17-2010 8:22 PM In reply to

• rabble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 75
    • Bronze Member

any idea where I would be able to see that? The first unit when it arrived had the same problem, but it was in such poor condition I did not give it much thought. This one looks perfect, so hopefully it is something like a loose connection.

Andrew

Andrew

• 11-18-2010 1:46 AM In reply to

You are going to need to do some contact tracing with a multimeter. The Beogram 3000 is not that complicated - the service manual is on site. I would however start a new thread as this one is not really relevant and you will get fewer comments. Start another one in the Workbench section entitled Beogram 3000 problem - or similar.

• 11-18-2010 2:48 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Will the platter rotate by hand ?
    Will the motor ?
    The belt can sometimes wedge in under the edge of the subplatter.
    It looks fine but blocks the platter from rotating.

Martin

• 11-23-2010 2:47 PM In reply to

• rabble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 75
    • Bronze Member

So all is now in order with the Beogram. All automatic functions are working as they should. It even came with an SP12 cartridge and needle.

I'll be hooking it up this weekend to give all the components a try. I still do not know how to attach the cable tv  to the antenna input.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew

• 11-27-2010 10:34 AM In reply to

• rabble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 75
    • Bronze Member

Today, I hooked up the whole system and was pleasently surprised. The sound quality of the record player was fantastic. To my ears there was no difference to a CD.

Now the bad things.

First of all, accessing the inputs is a struggle as they are under the amplifier??

I needed to wiggle the speaker plug to get sound from the right channel.There was a loud pop whenever I turned the unit on. There was also some crackling when the volume control was moved but this went away as soon as it was in position. I could not test the tuner as I still don't have an antenna connection.

I played a CD through my DVD player (through the TV) but I needed to turn up the volume quite a bit to get the same volume as from the record player.

All in all, I was impresed with the sound from the record player, so I'll contact my local B&O dealer to discuss a complete cleaning of the amp.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why the Cd volume was so low. This is not a problem on my Beosystem 7000, but as I plan to connect an Ipad in the future, i wonder if this will also be a problem.

The Journey continues.

Andrew

Andrew

• 11-27-2010 11:23 AM In reply to

Which input are you using? There are level adjustments on the bottom of the Beolab if you need them.

I would imagine that your dealer will have very little idea of what a Beolab 5000 is, let alone being able to service it. Unless you are very fortunate, they will use a centralised service department. Frede is the person to talk about a proper restoration.

• 11-27-2010 12:41 PM In reply to

• rabble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 75
    • Bronze Member

I was using the Aux input. Both channels are set to maximum.

I'll discuss with them to see if they can do a general cleaning. If that does not fix it, I'll consider the shipping to Denmark.

Any idea if I can just shove the antenna wires into the socket?

Andrew

Andrew

• 11-27-2010 12:58 PM In reply to

As a short term fix, it will do no harm at all. I would try the DVD directly into the Beolab just to see if your TV is reducing the output. Have you been on Frede's site? Well worth it - it has the user manual on and lots of information.

• 11-27-2010 12:59 PM In reply to

rabble:

Any idea if I can just shove the antenna wires into the socket?

Yes you can - I believe the proper connector is unavailable new anyway, the only source is other people's junk boxes.

Anyway if you have decent off-the-air reception over there, I'd recommend testing with just a loose wire instead of using the cable antenna outlet on the wall. Connecting to the "central antenna" might cause some ground loops and such and bring an unwanted variable in the equation while you are still testing how the kit works. Keep "muting" off so you'll be able to hear the stations even if they aren't strong enough to open the squelch (the level is adjustable, though!).

-mika

• 11-27-2010 1:09 PM In reply to

The Beolab 5000 has a unique design - and users need to know how to calibrate the output levels for the various sources, while also setting the channels right. I take it you don't have the manual?

Here's what you need to do. 

Place the amplifier upright, on its left end. Put something underneath it if you want to avoid any scratches to its surface.

This gives you access to the underside. Now, it is quite stable in this position, but do be careful not to topple it.

You need a narrow regular screwdriver.

You'll see that you have a selection of sources available. See the photo below - the various pots are there to help you adjust the output level and balance of each source, and there's a special procedure. Note the TEST button on the front of the Beolab 5000 - you'll need to use that, as we proceed.

As different sources will have different output signal levels, this was how you set them so that each would appear to have a similar level when you went from one to another using the front buttons. Right now, the channel you are using for the CD is set very low, and we need to adjust that.

Here's what you do:

1. Push in the AUX button.

2. Play a mono source through your CD-player. A challenge to find these days, but you're certain to have one.

3. Set the VOLUME slider to 4.5

4. Set the BALANCE all the way to the LEFT.

5. Using the screwdriver, turn both AUX pots all the way down - both L and R - so that the volume is as low as possible.

6. Now turn the L pot up until you like the volume it's playing at (here some would actually compare the level to that output from the record player or tuner, switching between sources. But let's focus on getting a good CD-level now.)

7. Now move BALANCE to the center position - 0

8. Press the TEST button on the front panel, and hold it in - while turning the R pot until the sound becomes as WEAK as possible. (Not kidding you).

9. Let go of the TEST button. You will now hear a perfectly balanced output to both channels, at a level you like.

This was the world's most advanced amplifier when it was launched, and it shows. Big Smile

• 11-27-2010 2:46 PM In reply to

• rabble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 75
    • Bronze Member

Thank you everyone for your input.

I'll give everything a try.

Andrew

Andrew

• 11-28-2010 3:25 PM In reply to

• rabble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 75
    • Bronze Member

Hi all,

I've decided before sending the units anywhere, and as I am usually quite lucky with do it yourself repairs, that I would try to do a thourough cleaning on the amplifier. Does anyone have any tips on taking the top off, anything to watch out for. I was lucky that Freddy told me about the tuning string on the tuner. Do I have to worry about anything like this on the amp?

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

• 11-28-2010 3:35 PM In reply to

The service manual is on site - it is a good one! It is not difficult to get the top off though!

• 12-07-2010 3:34 PM In reply to

• rabble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 75
    • Bronze Member

Success,

I removed the cover of the amplifier and surprise surprise, everything was quite clean. Please don't cringe on what you will read next.

I got out a can of naptha based contact cleaner, and gave all of the pots. and switches, and actually anything that moved a liberal spraying and moved everything around quite a bit. After a week of drying out, I finally had some time tonight to install all items again temporarily around the living room (no one home tonight) and to my joy, Barry White streamed out of the speakers without any snaps crackles or pops. (Amazing Bass)

Even the output from the aux. is correct. I also shoved some speaker  wire (1 foot) into the ant. input of the tuner and managed to pick up most of the local stations.  The tuning slider still moves smoothly

I could not access the speaker inputs, but speaker 2 works as if it were new, so no worrys here as I will only need one set of speakers. 

Except for the stereo light on the amplifier (it is playing in stereo) all lights on both pieces are working.

There still is a small pop when I turn on the unit, but much less than before, hopefully a few more sprays (sorry) will get rid of this.

Now I need to make a connector so that I can hook up the cable TV to the tuner so that more statins are available.

Next step will be to find some Danish teak shelves and then time to sell the Beosystem 7000 (sorry no Beogram record player) to pay for the Ipad and Sonos system. Maybe also a nice reel to reel unit (these are quite expensive if they are in good shape)

In case you don't know what Sonos is, it will allow full  remote volume control (and other things) from the Beolab

http://www.sonos.com/Default.aspx?rdr=true&LangType=1033

Thanks everyone for your help.

I'll post some pictures once I have the final installation

Also need to buy some records again

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

• 01-11-2011 3:24 PM In reply to

• rabble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 75
    • Bronze Member

Happy New year to all and especially to those that helped with this project.

I finally have a working system. I decided to go with the Apple TV 2 with an Ipad as it was a bit less expensive than the Sonos system. All components are working as they should and actually although the B & O components are more than 40 years old,they don't look that much out of place with the white modern furniture. Now it's time to buy some records.

Andrew

Page 2 of 2 (45 items) < Previous 1 2