in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-28-2007 4:29 PM by Puncher. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-25-2007 5:23 AM

Not many "Founder" member opportunities left

I noted this morning that Beoworld now has 1930 members which just shows what a valuable source of information it is to the B&O community. I also noted with surprise, given the value of the site to members, that there is still 74 "Founder" Gold member opportunites left to be taken up.

That means there is an opportunity for 1,504 current non-gold members to upgrade to "Founder" member even after two months from the launch date and it is only a few days away from the second prize draw. Come on Guys, given the amount of work (and money) Lee, Peter and the other moderators have put into making this site successfull, I would have thought it was a very small price to pay and you may also be lucky enough to win, the odds are currently 426 to 1, that seems quite good odds to me.

Regards Keith....

• 06-25-2007 5:58 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: Not many "Founder" member opportunities left

Agreed! Even with all founder member accounts taken, there's still a 1 in 50 chance of winning something (despite my poor maths, I think that's right!).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-25-2007 7:53 AM In reply to

Alex:
    Agreed! Even with all founder member accounts taken, there's still a 1 in 50 chance of winning something (despite my poor maths, I think that's right!).
    I feel lucky !!!
  • 06-25-2007 8:21 AM In reply to

Alex,

Not wishing to question your maths, I feel even Beoworld are not giving those good odds. Just because there are 10 prizes does not mean the odds get better. Also, as Lee draws the 10th prize first, the odds actually get better as you approach the first prize because one person is being taken out of the pot each time. In other words the previous prize winner does not go back into the pot otherwise he could, in theory, win more than once on the same draw day.

So, if there are 500 people in the draw and the 10th prize winner is drawn, then the odds were 500 to 1

Subsequently, when the 9th prize is drawn the odds will be 499 to 1 because the 10th winner has been removed from the pot.

Regards Keith....

• 06-25-2007 8:37 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Before the site was launched ,I thought, that the founder memberships would be sold out within a week or two. I must say that I am astonished/ disappointed of this, as I thought there had been more members of the old site posting about their will to go for gold.

Lee, we can find out how many gold members there are, buy filtering for founder members only. Would it be possible, to filter for gold (once there are gold members that are not founder members, the number of gold-members will not be public any more) and for silver members. Or could you just include a counter at the bottom of the forums page saying we have x gold members, y silver-members and z bronze members. Would be usefull IMO.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 06-25-2007 9:35 AM In reply to

• beoben
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

I would like that counter too

I want a BV 10

• 06-25-2007 9:58 AM In reply to

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

I was the same I thought the founder places would go almost right away, so on the big day I was logging on all day to make sure I did not miss it.

I think everyone thought the start would be better than it was, however it is really good to see a steady rise in the membership as the weeks pass, and I think this will continue steadily in the months to come, as people see the value of the site.

@Lee has anyone mentioned/thought of beoworld selling some of the branded goodies on ebay, with a link to the home page etc, may help to raise profile? worth a try I think. 

Cheers Graeme
  • 06-25-2007 11:29 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Graeme:

...@Lee has anyone mentioned/thought of beoworld selling some of the branded goodies on ebay, with a link to the home page etc, may help to raise profile? worth a try I think. 

I think this has been mentioned many times before, but I doubt if it has been done Hmm

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 06-25-2007 11:50 AM In reply to

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Cant understand why notHmm
    Cheers Graeme
  • 06-25-2007 12:37 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Keith Saunders:

the odds actually get better as you approach the first prize because one person is being taken out of the pot each time. In other words the previous prize winner does not go back into the pot otherwise he could, in theory, win more than once on the same draw day.

He uses a random number generator and matches the random number against a list of members, so the random number generator could pick the same number twice and the member could win more than once. More reason to go for GOLD MEMBERSHIP.

Am I correct 9LEE ?

• 06-25-2007 1:19 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

That's what I was led to believe, too.
    Hence it would be foeasable phoesable feesable possible to win all ten prizesYes
    However, were that to happen, I think the s**t would hit the fan!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-25-2007 2:28 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Keith Saunders:

Alex,

Not wishing to question your maths, I feel even Beoworld are not giving those good odds. Just because there are 10 prizes does not mean the odds get better. Also, as Lee draws the 10th prize first, the odds actually get better as you approach the first prize because one person is being taken out of the pot each time. In other words the previous prize winner does not go back into the pot otherwise he could, in theory, win more than once on the same draw day.

So, if there are 500 people in the draw and the 10th prize winner is drawn, then the odds were 500 to 1

Subsequently, when the 9th prize is drawn the odds will be 499 to 1 because the 10th winner has been removed from the pot.

Foiled! Laughing Why am I taking maths at A level again? Stick out tongue

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-25-2007 2:34 PM In reply to

The chance of winning all 10 prizes would actually be around 1 in 9,500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
  • 06-25-2007 2:38 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Yeah, but there is a chance. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-25-2007 2:44 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

muntbeoman:
    The chance of winning all 10 prizes would actually be around 1 in 9,500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
    Actually it's more like 1 to infinity, because once you've won one prize, you can't win another Wink

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-25-2007 5:40 PM In reply to

I would like to win at least one before there is a flood of people joining.  Selfish i know but a little sniff at a prize would make me mega happy.  This site is the best as replys are prompt, not like B & O who seem to take an age to reply ot the simplest of requests.

Oh and never give me the odds as my maths is pretty poor, how do you think i am able to buy B & O equipment he he.  Good luck on the next draw guys especially me.

B & O Nutter

Carl Sheerman

• 06-26-2007 2:42 AM In reply to

Alex:
    muntbeoman:
    Actually it's more like 1 to infinity, because once you've won one prize, you can't win another Wink

Alex, you're on a role now!

• 06-26-2007 3:04 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

tom:
    Graeme:

...@Lee has anyone mentioned/thought of beoworld selling some of the branded goodies on ebay, with a link to the home page etc, may help to raise profile? worth a try I think. 

I think this has been mentioned many times before, but I doubt if it has been done Hmm

It will be done, i promise. It's simply a time issue for me.  I took almost 6 months off LifeStyle AV to do BeoWorld, and put a huge amount of time into it.  This led to me taking my eye of the ball with the business, and things sort of stagnated there.  We have just had a shop refit there, and i'm making some improvements, and once that is done i can turn some serious attention back to BeoWorld!   Like all of us, i have a mortgage and bills to pay, and LifeStyle AV is the only one of the two that's likely to help me do this! 

I won't bore you all with how much there is behind the scenes to do at BeoWorld, but i can assure you that if i put 40 hours a week into it, it still wouldn't be enough..  However, i'm doing my best, and little by little i'm getting things done.  If anyone wants to check out inside the back cover (1 page in) of What Hi-Fi Ultimate Guides this month (with the BeoLab 9 on the front cover) you will see i have advertised BeoWorld in there.  They originally wanted £800 + VAT for that spot, and i got it for £70 !!  I really am trying guys, but i can't do it all at once. Sad

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 06-26-2007 3:11 AM In reply to

Henry:

Alex:
    muntbeoman:

Alex, you're on a role now!

Shouldn't that be roll?Confused

Regards Graham

• 06-26-2007 4:48 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Keith Saunders:

OK - as we're talking maths here.

My ex-bookmaker father assured me (before he shuffled off this mortal coil) that it works like this - with 500 people in the draw you actually have a 499 to 1 chance as you need to take yourself out of the original 500. The odds then go as said by you Keith.

What? me? pedantic?Laughing

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 06-26-2007 6:48 AM In reply to

You're right... How did I miss that....

Regards Keith....

• 06-26-2007 1:02 PM In reply to

Congratulations to all upgraders who signed up this week, only 71 founder member opportunities left

Regards Keith....

• 06-26-2007 3:07 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

They're going quicker than I thought they would to be honest! At first I thought they may all get snapped up within the first week or so, but obviously they didn't. However, I would have thought they would slow down considerably, but the number of new Gold memberships seems to be sustained. Smile

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-28-2007 5:48 AM In reply to

Now, Just 65 "Founder" member status opportunities left and only a couple of days to the second prize draw.

Regards Keith....

• 06-28-2007 6:09 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Actually, its less than that. It's about 45, as some people join as Gold but don't activate their email link to register for the forums - which then doesn't register them when you search for Founder Members.  On my admin panel i have the true numbers!

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >