in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-07-2010 5:25 AM by j0hnbarker. 54 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-17-2010 12:30 PM In reply to

Re: Finally in Quad heaven

Hi Lex

Standard advice for buying these is be patient and wait for a good one if you do not have access to skilled repair people locally! I waited three years to find mine (it was broken), and sent it off to be fixed by Tim Jarman. If that's not an option for you then you are extremely unlikely to find a fully working one on eBay, as most original units will be broken now, and functioning ones tend to have been restored by or on behalf of collectors who will be reluctant to part with them!

Ben was a lucky man to find one working in SA!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 06-17-2010 2:05 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

j0hnbarker:

Hi Lex

Standard advice for buying these is be patient and wait for a good one if you do not have access to skilled repair people locally! I waited three years to find mine (it was broken), and sent it off to be fixed by Tim Jarman. If that's not an option for you then you are extremely unlikely to find a fully working one on eBay, as most original units will be broken now, and functioning ones tend to have been restored by or on behalf of collectors who will be reluctant to part with them!

Ben was a lucky man to find one working in SA!

Hi Lex

They are difficult to find unfortunately. There was a previous one for sale in SA a few years back but by the time I phoned it was sold. Funny thing is a year later I found out it was my friends Aunt who sold it! I was so upset about that! So when I heard about this one, I phoned immediately and said consider it sold even though I hadn't seen it at all or considered how I was going to get it to my city. I was very lucky (about time I say!!). I was very naughty and had a peek inside on the weekend and everything is original, totally untouched. Not quite sure why it is in such good working condition.

Just keep checking the internet sites like ebay etc..... I am looking for the remote which I think will be pretty difficult to find but I check every single day, never miss a day.

Anyway good luck, If I hear of one, I'll you know!

Durban South Africa

• 06-17-2010 2:21 PM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

Congratulations! It seems to be in as good condition as the one I bought last year! We are two lucky beo collectors, you and I :) Wonderful design, it's an amazing piece of b&o magic.
  • 06-17-2010 3:39 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

henrik:
    Congratulations! It seems to be in as good condition as the one I bought last year! We are two lucky beo collectors, you and I :) Wonderful design, it's an amazing piece of b&o magic.

Thanks Henrik. I do feel very lucky. I hope that it keeps working without problems for many years to come!

Durban South Africa

• 06-20-2010 12:01 AM In reply to

• Lex Lance
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-05-2010
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 74
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the advice guys - patience is the key here..

• 09-24-2010 11:03 AM In reply to

BenSA:
    Must be the most best sounding B&O I've heard yet....even better than my BM4400.

After entirely too long... I had a play with mine last night. I must say that there might be something to your comment. I love the 4400, but there is a real depth and warmth to the 6000Q. It really is excellent.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 09-24-2010 11:24 AM In reply to

burantek:

BenSA:
    Must be the most best sounding B&O I've heard yet....even better than my BM4400.

After entirely too long... I had a play with mine last night. I must say that there might be something to your comment. I love the 4400, but there is a real depth and warmth to the 6000Q. It really is excellent.

I've been saying this for a couple of years! Finally some others who hear what I hear!

:D

• 09-24-2010 11:51 AM In reply to

j0hnbarker:
    I've been saying this for a couple of years! Finally some others who hear what I hear!

Well, it is at least interesting. As Peter has mentioned the 4400 is better spec'd and is amazing. But, there is just something to the 6000Q that I can't put my finger on! Of all my older gear -I dare say it sounds best???

• B&o bottle opener
  • 09-24-2010 12:00 PM In reply to

I am sorry but I really cannot understand how you can compare the 4400 and 6000. The 4400 is able to compared with the best of modern amplifiers. It has superb bass control and has almost no vices. I like my 6000 which is a super design and was way ahead of its time. But in circuit design it is a puffed up pair of 901s. The warmth is there but is due to it having an indirect coupled output. Look at the damping factor - about 20 for the 6000 and 65 for the 4400. Probably the reason the 3400 sounds better as well.

However it is not what I think that counts - if you prefer the 6000 then that is fine. Do you play with flat tone controls or do you tweak?I may well be selling my 6000 some time - I never use it!

• 09-24-2010 12:09 PM In reply to

Doctor:
    However it is not what I think that counts - if you prefer the 6000 then that is fine. Do you play with flat tone controls or do you tweak?

All tones are flat. At low volumes I will occasionally engage LOUDNESS.

As mentioned, you have stated the superiority of the 4400 in other posts -technically speaking, of course it is. I don't disagree w/ you. In fact, you and I always tend to be on the same page!

It comes down, I suppose, to simply how it sounds w/ disregard to all the numbers and technical merits of later, improved designs. Is it better on paper? -no. Is it better to my ears? -I think so.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 09-24-2010 12:44 PM In reply to

I always use tone controls and loudness. I know that makes me a bad HiFi enthusiast, but there you go :P

• 09-24-2010 4:17 PM In reply to

No it doesn't, but perhaps it explains you taste in amplifiers. Big Smile It is a bit like speakers; what I like others may hate.

• 09-24-2010 8:58 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Doctor:

I may well be selling my 6000 some time - I never use it!

When you do - I'll have first dibs on itBig Smile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 09-25-2010 10:43 AM In reply to

In 2008, I recieved one of theese fellas, for free! It worked fine in stereo, but the rear amplifiers had gone, some lights dead etc. Sold it to a real collector... I regret that...

Also, I found a real nice Beogram 4000, also partly working, but sold that too because I simply couldn't find any spare IC's!

-Søren

Beocenter 9300, Beogam CD50, Beocord 5500, Beomaster 3400, Beomaster 4400, 2 Beogram 4000, Beomaster 8000, 2 beogram 8002, Beovox S-75, Beovox MS150.2, Beovox RL6000, Beovox S-35, Beomaster 6000, 2 Beocord 9000, Beocord 8004, Beocord 5000, Form 1, 2x Beolink 1000, Beo4, MX3500, LS4500. Born 1993.

• 09-25-2010 11:17 AM In reply to

Just one other quick thought. Apart from the sound... As much as I love the 3000/4000/4400 -one must admit that from a styling viewpoint, B&o went from the bridge of a U-BOAT to the bridge of NCC-1701 with the 6000! That in itself, makes them appealing.

My matching BC5000 is well, quite frankly -junk. When I can close out a few other projects... I think I am going to tackle these! iPod Touch under the panel??? Surprise

• B&o bottle opener
  • 09-25-2010 1:33 PM In reply to

I agree with that completely. The styling is incredible. Shame they used perspex rather than glass though. The BC5500 is a wonderful machine - but would anyone trust their best cassette tape in one!

• 12-01-2010 9:12 PM In reply to

• Lex Lance
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-05-2010
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 74
    • Bronze Member

Ben was that you I was bidding against for the 6000 Commander in the UK.

Finally got one....

• 12-01-2010 9:30 PM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Interesting story of mine.

I was looking for a Beomaster 6000 quad for a few years. One came up in Adelaide that needed work eventually and I gave up. So I bought a Beomaster 3400 quad from a member here, fully restored... which I would argue is better sounding.  A Beogram 6000 came my way as well.

I've used restored RL60's speakers and the sound was great.

beoaus.

• 12-02-2010 3:03 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Lex Lance:

Finally got one....

Yes Lex it was me!!!! I just didn't have time to increase my bid!! I have to be honest I was mad!!

At least it went to a Beoworld member, enjoy it!!!

Durban South Africa

• 12-02-2010 5:42 AM In reply to

Well done! They are rare, aren't they?

How much did it go for?

• 12-02-2010 7:37 AM In reply to

• Lex Lance
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-05-2010
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 74
    • Bronze Member

BenSA:

Lex Lance:

Finally got one....

Yes Lex it was me!!!! I just didn't have time to increase my bid!! I have to be honest I was mad!!

At least it went to a Beoworld member, enjoy it!!!

I thought it must have been you Ben. My highest bid was 300 pounds.....

I had a feeling it would come to this :) The next one is yours!

Putting my complete system in next week for complete overhaul.

• 12-02-2010 8:00 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

130 pounds was the highest I was willing to go on the remote, so it gives me some comfort to know that I didn't lose it by a small margin.

Durban South Africa

• 12-02-2010 8:12 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

My rule is that you NEVER win anything by a small margin at auctions. Makes losing a whole lot easier, and holds that urge to nudge your limit up at the last minute (but not always)!!!

Anyway, I suspect there will be at least a couple of folk clambering into the loft now that a remote has gone for a decent amount, either that, or cursing the day they chucked the 'old junk' on the tip! - Jeez, to even think there are tips accross the world that harber little gems like that Sad

Olly.

• 12-02-2010 9:29 AM In reply to

Oh. My. Goodness.

When Tim Jarman fixed my 6000 Quad, I had it back for about two days and posted a few pictures on here and mentioned that I was looking for a Commander. Craig sent me a link to one on a Buy it Now here in the UK for £35, which I duly did. Even the battery worked and still is working now.

I know they're rare and everything, but blimey guys Surprise

• 12-02-2010 10:36 AM In reply to

• Lex Lance
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-05-2010
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 74
    • Bronze Member

I guess this comes down to two people wanting it badly enough, being the final piece of the puzzle and the fact that I havent seen one for over a year. I was having this no matter what! This one happens to be worth as much as someone is prepared to pay! A lot

Page 2 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >