in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-16-2011 3:41 PM by Jeff. 51 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-10-2010 11:38 AM In reply to

Re: BeoLab 11 hands-on

Yes I would agree that the BL11 is well suited to augment a 2-ch stereo setup or a setup where you don't want the full theater effect.

However, B&O doesn't make a good-at-everything subwoofer!  The BL11 doesn't give you that deep base and power that you need for a full surround system. 

The BL2 is reportedly a bit slow for rapid music beats and such.  Lots of power, good for home theater use, etc.

Compromise on both models.

There are lots of other manufacturers of subwoofers that make great all around units that are fast and powerful.  Take a number of models by B&W, for example, and you see some great-looking models with awesome specs.

• 05-10-2010 1:44 PM In reply to

Not to forget Velodyne.

They have a sub with room correction for 500 euro's.

• 05-10-2010 1:51 PM In reply to

• jjcox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-31-2009
    • Midden-Brabant, the Netherlands
    • Posts 61
    • Bronze Member

But... does it look like Sonny Crockett's vision of a Dutch tulip? NO WAY! So, no competition Cool.

Sorry, couldn't resist. After a week or two I'm still completely in love with the thing and realise it's the best addition I could have ever made. And it's got a huge WAF as well.

Regarding its 'rumbling qualities' for a full home theatre setup: it might be just perfect for those (like me) who don't live in free standing mansions. Home theatre while staying friends with the neighbours! Let's call it the NAF Stick out tongue.

• 05-11-2010 4:30 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

macjonny1:

However, B&O doesn't make a good-at-everything subwoofer!  The BL11 doesn't give you that deep base and power that you need for a full surround system. 

The BL2 is reportedly a bit slow for rapid music beats and such.  Lots of power, good for home theater use, etc.

Compromise on both models.

Every speaker design is a compromise. The 'specs' of subwoofers really do mean very little. Just because a subwoofer says it goes down to 20 Hz doesn't mean it's accurate when you get it that low. I've heard some awful B&W subwoofers (and some great ones).

Designing a system which can put it's hand to anything and do it well is very costly, as the BeoLab 5s demonstrate (great for both movies and music), and then you encounter other pitfalls (such as size/cabinet volume).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-12-2010 7:28 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

OK, our display unit just arrived and we have it running now...serendipitously enough we are using the BeoLab 3's, not the suggested 4000's.

My initial reaction is positive.  At low volumes the difference is apparent but not gob-smacking.  At higher volumes the difference is quite startling.  The in-store display allows for near-instant switching, so there is no problem with 'hearing memory'.  I'll need some time to listen to a reasonable variety of music, and I will be really curious as to the difference it makes with the 6000's.

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 05-13-2010 2:27 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

jjcox:

But... does it look like Sonny Crockett's vision of a Dutch tulip? NO WAY! So, no competition Cool.

I don't get impressed easily, but I was impressed with the design of the BL11, when I saw it at my dealer the other day. Looks great in white. Much smaller than I expected though.

Good to hear it enhances the BL3s. People within the industry have suggested that it probably won't enhance a BL3-based setup as it was designed to enhance BL4000/6000s. I doubted this as it drops as low as 33Hz.

• 05-13-2010 3:09 AM In reply to

Hello, I'm french.

I would like to know what do you think about Beolab 11 with beolab 3 et beosound 4 ? Does it work ? Somebody have this installation ?

Have a good day.

Mon système:Beosound 4, Beolab 3, Beolab 11

• 05-15-2010 5:29 AM In reply to

Tanks to "jjcox" for the great and thourogh review of your experiences with Beolab 11. Me myself have the same setup with lab 6000 and lab 4000 as rear, but with the Beovsn 3-32.

I miss some more depth in the bass and some more sting to the rest. I hope that Beolab 11 might be what I've been missing. And without getting in a fight with my neighbours.

And of course...it's looks stunning.

A question for "jjcox"...have you seen some more movies yet? And can you say a bit more regarding the impact on lower sound effects like explosions, thunder, car-noise..etc....Can you feel a big difference with the 11?

Lloydern

Anything but Beo isn't an option...3-32, Overture, DVD1, Beomedia, V8000, lab 4000, 2 x lab 2000, 2 x lab 6000 & lab 11.

• 05-15-2010 6:03 AM In reply to

• jjcox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-31-2009
    • Midden-Brabant, the Netherlands
    • Posts 61
    • Bronze Member

Hello Lloydern,

Yes, I've seen some more movies now. In movies, it delivers just what you describe: some more depth in the bass and more sting to the rest. It all sounds a lot more 'full'. Thunder, explosions and stuff do offer a lot more 'oomph'. I noticed last week when I was in the kitchen and the kids were in the living room watching 'Earth' (a movie with a lot of breaking glaciers, running elephants and more nature noise) that the subwoofer really is very present. Also, I (don't tell anyone!) like to watch a movie with my feet resting on the table. Since the BL11 is in action, I can FEEL the explosions in the table. The table vibrates, which it never did before.

Nevertheless, it won't break any walls. The BL2 can do that. But it is very present in movies and enhances the experience a lot.

Joeri

• 05-15-2010 9:46 AM In reply to

Thanks for reply...

Sounds like it's just what I am looking for. Perfect answer :-)!

Actually my wife has granted me a no-more-beo-warning that's valid for the year 2010. So I recon this christmas should do just fine...Big Smile

Lloydern...7 months to go

Anything but Beo isn't an option...3-32, Overture, DVD1, Beomedia, V8000, lab 4000, 2 x lab 2000, 2 x lab 6000 & lab 11.

• 05-15-2010 9:53 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I wish that ::

1. it was available in the older aluminium colours B&O had (i.e. pearly green, sky blue, pearly red, etc)

2. that i could afford one to add to the 6000's at home... :(

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 05-15-2010 9:18 PM In reply to

lloydern:
    my wife has granted me a no-more-beo-warning

is there a quid pro quo ?

• no more dresses
    • no more shoes
    • no more bags

silly me, of course not

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 05-15-2010 9:33 PM In reply to

gumboots:

Hello, I'm french.

ROFL.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 05-16-2010 12:32 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:

ROFL.

No - thumbs down

• 05-16-2010 1:45 AM In reply to

What's about ?

• 05-16-2010 3:37 AM In reply to

gumboots:

What's about ?

It is the juxtaposition that is funny to some readers.

"gumboots" is a very American phrase - the English use "wellies" or "wellingtons" to describe the same footwear.

So to have some one from France using a very colloquial brand name for a type of shoe as their internet handle seems amusing.

On the forum there is a thread about why people have chosen their name/handle and/or avatar.

One could ask Trip why he is such a fan of Boston Legal :-)

Or what is an elephant doing in Australia :D

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 05-16-2010 4:21 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

gumboots:

What's about ?

I think TripEnglish didn't understand you. He's foreign, you know.

Don't worry about it. We understand you :)

• 05-17-2010 12:00 PM In reply to

OkYes -  thumbs up

• 05-19-2010 3:44 PM In reply to

Guess what ;-) There's a BL11 between my BL8000's and  Beovision 3 :-)

The beauty is that the BL11 breaths life into the 8000's.. There's bass.. Lot's of it now... but in a very very subtle way. The mids and high are coming out stronger... Hell.. have to relisten to my whole music collection now! Bummer! Whistle

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 05-20-2010 3:48 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Hey Karel,

what about your BL2 ?

And please, post at least one photo ! Embarrassed

• 05-20-2010 3:54 AM In reply to

My local dealer has a BL11 hooked up with a pair of 6000s.  He fired it up for me and the first thing I thought was "holy crow, that'll give the 6000s a new lease on life."  After reading the constant death knells of the BL 6000 on here over the last couple of years, I can't help thinking that the BL11 is exactly what the 6000 and 4000 need to remain viable and be far more useful for years to come.  The sound from the sub was very good but more importantly it cut out the low frequencies from the 6000s and made everything more, um, in its proper place.  I'm impressed.  Not impressed enough to pay $2800AUD for it, but still impressed.

• 05-20-2010 5:48 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

dilznik:

I'm impressed.  Not impressed enough to pay $2800AUD for it, but still impressed.

WOW is that all it costs here? I'll be saving up by the looks of things! :D

• 05-20-2010 7:19 AM In reply to

Dave:

I think if you can somehow get one from Europe, at the current exchange rate it should be about $2000ish AUD.

• 05-20-2010 7:57 AM In reply to

@steph: I didn't have a BL2 :-) Was on test for a weekend :-) But.. The BL11 is a nitfy thing! Brings out the full potential of the BL8000's! And... to B&O's standards good value for money

I'll post pictures from the moment I have the cabling sorted out... It's a fetish :-)

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 05-20-2010 8:29 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

dilznik:

Dave:

I think if you can somehow get one from Europe, at the current exchange rate it should be about $2000ish AUD.

Nah, the cheapest in the old world is about $ 2 400 AUD (black or white), other colours are $ 2 600 AUD. Wall stand is $ 265 AUD.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

Page 2 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >