in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-21-2010 5:04 PM by Dan Gleason. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-16-2010 8:20 AM

• Geo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2010
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

Beomaster 3000 type 2402 - " transformer hum" and radio?

Hello, new to Beoworld and new owner to an old Beomaster 3000 type 2402!

Before I bought it I was told that there was scratch and bad noise from the switches so the first thing was to clean all switches as been told in this forum. After that and a gently cleaning of in-/outside I ended polish the teakcabinet. I tested it with “testspeakers” before I went on with my small Beovox. Nearly all scratches were gone and it sounds pretty good (compare to my Beomaster 900 I maybe taste some hifi…  Smile )

After about 6 hours happy CD-playing I began to hear some “hum” from the receiver, before that it was quiet. I have located it to the transformer and you can feel a light vibration. There is no distorsion or hum from the speakers, only from the receiver. If I continue to play, can it be worse or can I damage some other components. Thoughts about the "hum"?

It looks that the unit has been opened before but all components seems to be old and “original”. I also think that the receiver has not been used for a while, maybe stored in a garage because there were lots of dead flies inside…

With no right antenna connector, I only have tested with loose wires. There is difficult to get a good signal and the stereo lamp has not been lightning. Can it be something wrong with the FM-unit? The 3-pin connector, can it be bought?

Hopefully there are enthusiasts and experts here who can get me some advice?

Regards

Pelle, Sweden

Beomaster3000 type2402 serie04 no57974

• 04-18-2010 7:47 AM In reply to

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

Re: Beomaster 3000 type 2402 - " transformer hum" and radio?

Hi and welcome to BeoWorld.  That is a nice looking receiver that you have.

I have also experienced the “hum” problem on these old receivers but fortunately the levels have been relatively low so it hasn’t had a bad effect on the audio reproduction.  On the worst of these, I resorted to fitting rubber padding (like rubber washers) at all of the transformer mounting points and that lowered the hum volume tremendously.  I have opened up the transformer to see if there is anything obvious that I could fix but that unit is fully sealed so I left it as is.  Try fitting some rubber mountings and see if it improves things.

Regarding the stereo lamp, I presume that you have tested the lamp itself.  Many of these lamps are found dead on these units but fortunately they are still available as spares.

Regards

Geoff

• 04-18-2010 10:01 AM In reply to

My 3000 hummed as well! I resorted to decoupling it from the table using four half squash balls! Actually worked rather well! I would try a decent aerial plug before doing anything else. I think one of these would be fine in the first event.

• 04-21-2010 5:04 PM In reply to

I have two semi-working 300-2 type 2402s here on my desk and both of them have hum.

I opened them up and both of them had blisters on the terminal side of the big electrolytic capcisotrs. Not the center one of the three but the tow identical outer ones.

I just order a complete set of replacement electrolytic capcitors from a fellow Beoworld member. After I replace them (probably 20 or so capacitors in the complete set) I will let you know if there is any hum in the unit.

I am the original owner of one of them and it had worked without any hum whatsoever and worked quite well for 12 years before being retired to a closet for nearly 30 years.

So the unit does not hum be design it is usually an electrolytic capacitor that has either dried up, or the dielectric has eroded.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)