in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-04-2007 4:13 AM by marcus_m. 36 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-22-2007 2:30 AM

Socket options with Masterlink, Powerlink and Ethernet

Hi,

I am seriously thinking about buying a flat in Germany. I want to put sockets in the wall to connect my B&O. I remember there were some threads in the old forum about that and I remember someone mentioned a socket that has Masterlink and Ethernet in one. I am also wondering what socket to use for Powerlink to speakers.

Thanks in advance,
    Frank

Filed under:
  • 06-22-2007 4:48 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

Re: Socket options with Masterlink, Powerlink and Ethernet

Hi Frank,

you may want to check out this doc from Busch-Jäger for in-wall master link and power link sockets:

http://busch-jaeger-support.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/busch_jaeger_support.cfg/php/enduser/fattach_get.php?p_sid=4AP1eLEi&p_accessibility=0&p_tbl=9&p_id=688&p_created=1152876420&p_olh=0

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 06-22-2007 4:56 AM In reply to

Frank,

You may also want to look at Bosscom by clicking HERE

Regards Keith....

• 06-22-2007 9:36 AM In reply to

Thanks a lot, very good information. These solutions are definitely worth a look.

I am still wondering who produces the Masterlink and Ethernet in one socket mentioned in the old forum.

Cheers,
    Frank

• 06-22-2007 10:39 AM In reply to

Frank,

I don't think I have seen a Masterlink and an Ethernet socket on the one plate, I have seen them side-by-side in a double wall box, but not in the same plate. I think the main reason for this is because of the room needed in the box to connect all the Masterlink wires.

If you look at the back of a B&O/Bosscom Masterlink wall plate it uses almost all the space available for the small board for connecting the wires, so little room for anything else.

Regards Keith....

• 06-24-2007 7:46 AM In reply to

In Denmark we have something called IHC-Net (Intelligent Home Concept-Net). It can distribute Beolink (Power/masterlink), data, telephone, antenna through the network plug >CAT6 STP. It just consists of a patch panel and some modules for different purposes. This could be a solution for you, then you don't need to have cables for both network, beo, antenna, phone, speakers and so on..

This is the power link patch module:
    http://www1.lk.dk/servlet/GenereringMainContext?LKnummer=178H0131

and the module for Masterlink:
    http://www1.lk.dk/servlet/GenereringMainContext?LKnummer=178H0130

Filed under: , , , ,
  • 06-26-2007 3:11 AM In reply to

Thanks for the info. Interesting concept just laying one cabletype throughout the house. I wonder, though if transmission over CATx cable is sounding the same as original Masterlink cable? Anyone got experience?

Cheers,
    Frank

Filed under: ,
  • 06-26-2007 3:30 AM In reply to

Hi Ander,

So are you saying, We can use CAT5 or CAT5E and make our POWERLINK and MASTERLINK runs with that????

That would make things much simpler..... Please explain if you will..

Thanks, Keith

• 06-26-2007 3:39 AM In reply to

Hi Frank,

the sound is the same! I have about 120m of cat7 cable in the house for ML use (in addition to the 200m used for ethernet). I used std. RJ45 cat6 wall sockets with 2 connectors, one for ethernet (the right one) and one for ML (left one).

So I use ML cables, cut them in two halfs and fit an RJ45 connector at the open end. Only problem is that the wires of the B&O ML cable are too thick for the RJ45 connectors. So you have to use RJ45 connectors where the 8 wires are arranged in two rows. Then use a small drill to widen the holes - this job is a real pain in the a**. Order some spare connectors, you'll need them until get the hang of it!

But if all is finished, it is a reliable and easy to use system. Another advantage is that for the std ethernet sockets covers fitting the rest of the switches are available (I have Gira for example). Ah, and by the way all componets are pretty cheap!

Marcus 

• 06-26-2007 3:44 AM In reply to

Hi Marcus,

Sounds good. So if you were making a long run, take say a 3 meter Masterlink, cut it in two. Then make splices into the CAT cable. But, how many connections does an RJ45 have...I thought Masterlink had like 16 internal cables??

Thanks, K

• 06-26-2007 3:44 AM In reply to

mecca:

... We can use CAT5 or CAT5E...

No, you have to use S/STP cable (stands for Shielded/Shielded Twisted Pair and indicates that all pairs are shielded separately while the cable is also shielded). The "inner" shields are necessary to prevent crosstalk of left channel, right channel and data signals. the "outer" shield is necessary for the ground connection.

So the best cable is cat7. Also some cat6 cables will work, but only these where the outer shield is not only made of alu foil. 

Marcus 

• 06-26-2007 3:46 AM In reply to

Okay Marcus, thanks...CAT7...... though how does an RJ45 have enough connections for Masterlink?>>  THanks,k
  • 06-26-2007 3:47 AM In reply to

Hi Keith,

the ML jack has 16 pins, but only 9 are used. The ML sense signal is not used, so the 8 pins of RJ45 are enough.

Marcus 

• 06-26-2007 3:51 AM In reply to

Great Marcus...i'm getting it now....So the 8 is sufficient, even though you say that 9 are used in Masterlink?????  Sorry...just trying to mimic this in South America as I have to link a room that is 40 meters away and link the whole system...

This is a fantastic idea...and takes care of tons of problems....good work....any way to get a wiring diagram of how you did it or a step by step for the forum....

Also,.....which 8 do we need to hook up/?????

Thanks a ton..K

• 06-26-2007 4:04 AM In reply to

Marcus,

I think I understand most of this, brilliant idea.

Now if we wanted to do say 2 passive links off the Masterlink system, we could just use an RJ45 junction box for adding more connections???

• 06-26-2007 4:16 AM In reply to

Keith,

I don't have the color codes in mind right now. I'll expand my ML in the next days and will then take some notes which I can post here.

For connecting more than one cable I used Wago micro connectors (http://www.wago.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-53EFFEF9-EA84D661/wago/style.xsl/gle_2634.htm) in the holes of the in-wall installation. For connecting the shielding you have to use a bigger connector but pretty much the same thing.

Marcus 

• 06-26-2007 4:21 AM In reply to

Thanks a ton Marcus, you don't know how this has helped me... Also, to avoid the drilling of the holes...could you not start with a RJ45 male jack on a lead of say 10cm, then solder the connections with the Masterlink which you cut in two???
  • 06-26-2007 4:40 AM In reply to

Marcus,

Found the wiring diagram for Powerlink and Masterlink here.  http://www.bang-olufsen.com/graphics/bogo/media/Beolink/professionals/ML_Handbook_GB.pdf

Now, I think my only 2 questions are 

1) that if we do not hook up the ML Sensor lead (white/blue) will (for instance) a passive kit have FULL function from a distance????

2) The Ground (shield) is also not necessary???

It's been working fine for your Marcus???

Thanks, k

• 06-26-2007 5:23 AM In reply to

Keith,

yes, you can solder two pieces of cable together. The reason why I haven't done it is due to the looks :)

The ground is necessary! Both ML and Ethernet have a shield that is used for the ground connection. This is the reason why it is essential that you use ethernet cable with a "real" shielding not only the aluminium foil shield.

I do not have a passive kit, but have linked 3 tv's, one beosound, a beoport and a beolab2000 (all via cat7) and everything works like a charm.

Marcus

• 06-26-2007 6:41 AM In reply to

Marcus,

What i'm unclear about is, okay...I know there are 8 wires in the RJ45...... how do you pass on the shielded ground???  I mean...physically, how do you interconnect that between the CAT7 and into the Masterlink???

Thanks again , K

• 06-26-2007 7:09 AM In reply to

Hi Keith,

the ML cable has three solid wires for the ground. The cat7 cable has a wire mesh for the ground. Use a brush to separate the wires of the mesh, then twirl them together and use a terminal to connect it to three wires of the ML cable. Alternatively you can solder them. 

If you use the method by crimping the RJ45 plug on the ML cable, there is a terminal for the shilding at the RJ45 plug.

Do you know what I mean? Expressing all this in english isn't that easy for me ;-)

Marcus 

• 06-26-2007 5:57 PM In reply to

Hi Marcus,

For just the POWERLINK cables for speakers...can we use CAT5 or CAT6e????? and not the STP shielded cable?? THanks

• 06-27-2007 2:51 AM In reply to

Hi Keith,

for powerlink the shielding is even more important, as PL is not a balanced signal as ML is. I used the original B&O PL cable for speaker connections, but from my judgement a cat6 or cat7 should work as well. They are both S/STP cables, main difference is the bandwith of the cable (cat6 usually has 300MHz, cat7 1000MHz). Price difference is pretty low, so I always used the cat7. From wiring point of view, I would suggest to use both wires of the pair for one audio channel to ensure propper shielding, e.g.
    green + white/green: left
    orange + white/orange: right
    blue + white/blue: mute
    brown + white/brown + shield: ground 

Has any other forum member experience with PL over cat7?

Marcus 

• 07-01-2007 3:56 PM In reply to

Marcus,

Thanks for the help to this point. I contacted the IP people here that i work with. They tell me that CAT 6 STP is available but not CAT 7 yet. (sounds like the CAT 6 STP is ok,?? yes?)

Secondly, The Masterlink Sense....so we just DO NOT connect this to anything???

Thanks again for all your help..

K

• 07-02-2007 2:03 AM In reply to

Keith,

cat6 should also be S/STP, so it's ok.

I have just cut the ML sense, the ML handbook says you can/should connect it to the pink wire if you experience problems with video sources.

Marcus 

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >