in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-23-2010 10:41 AM by AdamS. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-20-2010 11:09 AM

• Paul
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-20-2008
    • USA
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

Tangential decks extend pickup life?

Just a theory,and I welcome criticism.

I have not yet commited to the inevitable purchase of a new soundsmith cartridge.I have just one functional MMC20EN that does triple duty between my Beocenter 7000,beogram 3400,and recently,my new beogram 4004.The cartidge suspension in worn.the stylus is a bit offset from center when at rest,at play on the BC7000 and BG3400 the pull of the arm causes the stylus to pull even farther from center.The sound of these two radial decks is fair but distorts a bit on complex passages.It appears that the stylus and iron assembly,being pulled off center is being biased on one side,and distorting in passages of high modulation.

Now on my new 4004,the sound is much better,and I noticed no extra pull of the stylus (beyond it's at-rest offset).I suspect this is due to the tonearm practically free floating and having substantially less mass than the radial TTs.

My question is this:Have I gotten new life(or extended life),and better sound out of my slightly worn pickup by installing it on the tagential deck?Also, is a cartridge doing years of service on a tangential deck likely never to wear out like this, biased to one side as on the radial deck?

Paul

• 03-20-2010 3:26 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: Tangential decks extend pickup life?

Good question & I suppose it all depends on how the particular deck tracks. As you say, the radial tracking turntables, in theory, put pressure on the cantilever as they track so I'm not surprised at the distortion you experience on an already well aged cartridge. As the 4*** series of decks use an optical tracking system then it would, again theoretically, extend the life of your cartridge so leaving it in situ on this is what I would do. Using it on a radial deck can only accelerate the degenration. I've used the word "theory" in my reply simple because that is what engineering principals say to me.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 03-23-2010 10:41 AM In reply to

• AdamS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • South UK
    • Posts 72
    • Silver Member

Re: Tangential decks extend pickup life?

It shouldn't make any difference. If a radial tracking deck is causing the cantilever to be pulled to one side then I would say that either the suspension, tracking force or bias are not set up correctly.

In fact, a B&O style tangential deck could in theory weaken a cartridge quicker as it works on the cartridge continually pulling a little way, then the arm catching up with it, so it actually 'crabs' its way across the entire record, alternately applying a small force to the stylus in each direction!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)