in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-26-2010 7:20 AM by Clakke. 84 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (85 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-16-2010 5:39 PM

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

What is stopping you buying B&O?...

Thought I would start this thread as a list of reasons rather than gripes.

From my end really four things.

1. High Definition link room distribution, which I hear is on the way or here now. Just no details.
    2. Cost of the TV's, which I believe needs adjusting down.
    3. A new updated remote control (management system) or connecting into say an ITouch.
    4. Link room communications. I envisage a central hub of music, video and more being available anywhere and purchasing in that very direction. In IT networking we call it a hub and spoke network.

For me a purchase decision would become a whole lot easier if these area's were addressed.

beoaus.

• 03-16-2010 5:44 PM In reply to

Re: What is stopping you buying B&O?...

1. This is coming - it really makes little sense to blow large amounts on a TV (see2!)  when all you get is RF.

2. Not going to happen though the BV7-55 is cheaper than the 9 I suppose.

3. Masterlink gateway and the iPod app arriving any time.

4. I am sure this is what the revised Masterlink will offer. Along with 1 and 3 - but not 2 I am afraid!

• 03-16-2010 5:55 PM In reply to

Well, in a sense you'll get all 4. As Peter rightly comments, 1 is on the way, 3 is on the way in a few ways, and 4 & 1 are essentially the same thing as the new infrastructure goes.

As for 2 I think the BV10 & BV8s are steps in this direction. The BV7 models will not likely come down as most of their cost is tied up in manufacturing, materials, and ancillary technologies and not the LCD panel (it's like saying that BMW could make a 7 Series cost the same a 3 Series if they really wanted to), but the analogy makes sense because we didn't always offer a viable "3 Series" and especially in the US market, the value represented by the BV10, for what it may lack, is a powerful package for consumers who want a premium offering but aren't able to buy in at 5 figures for a TV alone. 

At the end of the day, though, there has to be some reality check that if the TV is priced alongside Sonys and Samsungs it won't actually offer a true benefit over those products the way current offerings do.

As for what's stopping me from buying more B&O: space to put it.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 03-16-2010 6:48 PM In reply to

• Stoney3K
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2007
    • Eindhoven, NL
    • Posts 91
    • Silver Member

Peter :

4. I am sure this is what the revised Masterlink will offer. Along with 1 and 3 - but not 2 I am afraid!

I'm a bit sceptical about a central media server -- it's something the entertainment business (record companies and all) DON't want you to have. Especially if the thing has DVR functionality and lets you watch recorded TV programmes throughout the house, or access it via a network...

We're going to have one hell of a rights jungle on our hands. Not that I don't want such a thing -- I'd be delighted to see the latest movies, TV shows and music being delivered magically onto my HT screen. But if it's up to the big record bosses, they'd want you to buy every album, TV show or film -- TWICE.

• 03-16-2010 8:03 PM In reply to

What stops me buying B&O

1) Video/TV: Not enough good content by TV, price tags, 30 cinema screens within 15 minutes walking (4 cinemas)

2) Audio/Speaker: I own one pair of Beovox Penta (They are too good)

3) Audio: Price tag

4) Audio mobile: No need - I own a beosound 2 and a Serenata

5) Telephone: No need - I own a beocom 5 and a Serenata

iPoditiv

• 03-16-2010 8:42 PM In reply to

I must say that at the moment, with such rapidly changing technology and uncertainty as to what the immediate future holds with regards to Televisions, that B&O TVs are just far too expensive.

When flat panels hit the market, I considered buying one. I found they were not nearly as good as a CRT so I abstained. In the last couple of years there has been a huge amount of change; so now I don't know whether to buy LCD, LED, Plasma, HD, Full HD and so on. It's becoming like computers.

I think committing such a large sum of money to an item that is so undefined compared to when we only had CRTs (and basically only one choice) is a difficult decision to grapple with. And one of my main concerns is that my investment will be wasted once the next new thing (maybe 3D?) arrives.

I'm sitting on the bench with respects to replacing my B&O CRT TV at the moment. I wish it was an easier and cheaper decision.

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 03-16-2010 9:14 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I'm pretty decided that i will not be buying anymore B&O brand new (BeoTime is the exception). It's too expensive now, and dammit, it's too often that there is a problem, or the product has a fault, ridiculous!

On the CRT vs flatscreen front, i will be keeping the CRT technology in my home for as long as humanly possible. BeoVision 10 is a good start, but there have been faulty units!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 03-16-2010 10:52 PM In reply to

yep, I agree Dave...

I think I'll just try and find a BV3-32....

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 03-16-2010 11:13 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Definitely!! there's a relatively new one at Iconic i think! BV3's are aweosm, and kinda look like flat screens :)

• 03-17-2010 4:11 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

A BV3 also fits perfectly in a corner, something that makes a flat panel screen look odd.

• 03-17-2010 4:25 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

"Made in Czech" 

keeps me away from buying B&O. There are enough companies with attractive products, too.

I had a try with the Beocom 5 but it seems to be a plastic joke and not s.th. you might expect from B&O.

I'm waiting for the Beosound 5 extension and see if it's okay.

I don't want to buy an iPod to control my B&O stuff. I want a pure B&O remote control with the old high quality standards and the B&O WOW-Effect!

• 03-17-2010 5:07 AM In reply to

On the audio front  find I tend not to buy new B&O because the slightly older kit is too good!

As far as TVs go 4K and up is simply more than I am able to spend on a TV at the moment although I am tempted to save up for  BV8-40.

Simon

• 03-17-2010 7:25 AM In reply to

For my part, I would say that I haven't stopped buying B&O, but I stopped buying NEW B&O products, they are way too expensive, even if I earn much more money that when I discovered the brand!

I now buy all my stuff on the second-hand market, BV3-32, BV7-32, BeoCenter 2 (bought with Lifestyle), and didn't even have to buy my BeoLab 3 (I won them at the Christmas BeoWorld prize draw!)Big Smile

Apart from the price, what bothers me at the moment is the lack of "unity", all products go in different directions in terms of design, colours, use, features, compatibilities (see the digital players that all play different formats at different bitrates!), BS4 takes SDHC but not BS3 nor BS2, some products have white displays and others red displays, etc...

And finally, the lack of digital BeoLink and 2-way communication is a big minus for me at the moment.

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 03-17-2010 9:44 AM In reply to

TELEVISIONS:

to high prices and only BV7 with built in player. No external DVD/Bluray sollution offered. If you buy BV10 you need to have a terrible external player  from some foreign brand that looks ugly, no operation via Beo4 in many cases possible. Also no solution for BV10 to hide video players (no design cabinet as it was offered for BV5 in the past).

BV7 looks good but who can afford to spend a VW Golf for a TV???

No update posibilities with players for older BV7.

BEOSOUND:

BS5 much overpriced,  MP3 controler and a storage box of 500 GB for 5.000,-?

If there was a possibility to stream videos OK but only audio:=(((

BEOLABS:

The best for me still is BL8000 a B&O classic

Lens speakers in my opinion overpriced

BEOCOM

I like BC2 but the price really is overpriced

IN GENERAL: NO REASONABLE PRICES FOR THE PRODUCTS

• 03-17-2010 12:30 PM In reply to

What's stopping me?

1: For my needs I'm old school pre '92 fan audio wise.

2: Beovisions? First I'm not really a TV watcher anymore. My AV9000 and LX5500 are not really switched on much during a week. Maybe once or twice. Second the crap programs and commecial *** based on lousy stuff licenced from US does nothing positive for me.

I got no problem with the price of Beovision 7-55. Hell my AV9000 was the same back in 1998 as I have been informed. As for functions I'm sure B&O still will fulfill my needs like the old stuf does.

3: The budget for B&O. In the early days back around early '90s a visit to a B&O store would be in, look at the prices! and out again. Bottom line if its to expensive do something for your income.

4: I don't know if I could live with say just a Beosound 9000 and cd's as the only audio device or whatever the new B&O cdplayer is called. This would go for something like Beosound 4000 and the like too. Hard drive storage? I don't know about that either

5: Space and repair bills of the old school audio stuff. Once its working you don't need anything else.

• 03-17-2010 2:01 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Dave:

I'm pretty decided that i will not be buying anymore B&O brand new (BeoTime is the exception). It's too expensive now, and dammit, it's too often that there is a problem, or the product has a fault, ridiculous!

You do have a very valid point. The amount of sw issues I've had with my BV7-40s over the last 3 years, makes me wonder about 'beta testing' their new kit (BeoCom 5, too).

Also, BL5s are very good value second hand, for some reason. You can often pick up 2007 models for around £6-7000. BL9s for £4500 and so on.

• 03-17-2010 3:45 PM In reply to

I am more then saturated.

I have the BV8, BC 2 and BS9000 in my lounge and a BS2300 in my bedroom and a BS1 in storage.

The BS9000 doesn't get much usage which is a shame, the BC2 is used every now and then for music through my Apple TV or CD or DVD.

I am eying the BS5/BM5 but have concerns how nice it plays with my Mac only environment.

I am not so concerned about prices, I was but have happily adopted the BV8 when it came out in the US.

The equipment I have is going to last 5 to 10 years, if they want to sell me something they need to tackle "Digital", meaning at least fix the BS5 software (gapless, lossless) and maybe offer a video solution.

I would prefer they would focus on the BS5, I am a bit afraid now that it's out they slow down progress and there is so much it could do. 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 03-17-2010 6:18 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

All very good points many of which I agree with, so my lines would be:

1. the price of new B&O has extended beyond my wages when I first was able to buy them, so second hand is the route for me
    2. the lack of two way interaction, I like to see what I'm listening too, rather than have to stand 2mm away and squint at a small display
    3. No point getting HD here as there's b'all of it broadcast so I'm happy with my dvd avant Smile
    4. even though I have some ML around the place I still want to see what the new standard is and if they'll offer wireless too

• 03-17-2010 6:29 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

The fact that they do not sell the BV8-40 in the USA... and higher priorities since I have a TV that works for now (although, after only ~2 yrs my "nothing special" Toshiba LCD is not turning on every time - Internet tells me this is a common problems that will cost ~$300-$500 to fix...  I miss the bullet proof CRT days Sad ).

On the audio front, I have what I need (actually probably more than I need): BS9000, BS5/BM5, BL8000, BL2, BL4000, BL3500, BL4, BS1, BS2, BS3 (*2)).  Although, I do use most of this almost every day (wake to the Bl4 in the bedroom, move to BL3500 in the kitchen, then BS1 in the office, BS2 on the road, BL4000 with the TV, BL8000+BL2 when I'm relaxing in the lounge).  Someday, I dream of BL5s (or even 9s), but I'll probaby need to put the kids through college before this happens.

Stan

• 03-18-2010 1:58 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

If B&O don't do something about making their products more affordable, then they are going to be in trouble, with us beoworlders anyway~ the consensis here is clear. Big changes are coming in the future for this company. Lets hope they don't go out of business.

• 03-18-2010 2:44 AM In reply to

I already have 4 B&O systems and only use two of them. When the MX 7000 dies I probably will get a Beovision 10, though...

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 03-18-2010 5:13 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

avus17:

BEOSOUND:

BS5 much overpriced,  MP3 controler and a storage box of 500 GB for 5.000,-?

If there was a possibility to stream videos OK but only audio:=(((

You're wrong! The Beosound 5 is intended as a pure Hifi audio system with WMA losless music. It CAN play MP3, too, but that wasn't the intention. If you just want to listen to crappy MP3s, you can buy a crappy Apple TV or an iPod! :-)

• 03-18-2010 5:17 AM In reply to

I don't buy because I've run out of rooms to justify more speakers.  And I'm not interested in a B&O TV.

• 03-18-2010 10:05 AM In reply to

Money plays a roll, off course, when buying new B&O

Lack of a decent priced B&O tv (BV8-40 or BV10) in North America ... so I'll stick with my Kuro for a while longer I guess.
    Beosound 5 : I do agree it's meant as an audio system only and I am ok with that ... just too limited and too pricey for what it offers. 
    I do love the interface and the smoothness of the controller though..
    Beosound 4 and beosound 2: Even those are dated now and their design is just not for me....I'll wait and stick it out for something new to appear.
    Beosound 3200/9000 ... iconic classics....had the 9000 for a while (15 yrs ago?).....moved on.
    Do I want another landline phone ?.... nope will stick it out with the one I've got as cell phones slowly take over anyways.

Can't really go wrong with any of the speakers though... they always be a joy to hear and to look at.

So basically, I am waiting for a decent priced beovision to appear on the North American market and something new and exciting to appear on the audio front.

A newly designed (universal) remote (BEO4 style)  would be very welcome as well .... I just can't stand the handling of the beo5 and just don't ask me how I feel about the masters degree in computer science you need to get it programmed ...(or the expense to have it done for you).

• 03-18-2010 11:11 AM In reply to

What I think is funny that I don't hear anybody complaining about the price of a Rolex. I can't swing most B&O products either, to me it is a luxury item and part of that is that it is expensive. To me I don't think it matters much if they price a BV9 at 15k$ or 20k$. If they could do a BV9 at 3 or 4k$ that would certainly change something.

To me, they need to focus much more on the product then on the price. In the BS5 for example, MOTS is seen as the killer feature and it is it just got lost since Apple came out with the Genius feature and everyone takes it for granted now. Meaning, they need to run much faster and deliver more to wow. To me they should take a very good look at BS5 and take another run at it. And don't give me the crap that it is a platform for an entire family, that was said about the BC2 as well. 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

Page 1 of 4 (85 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >