in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-29-2011 6:13 PM by Evan. 93 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (94 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-16-2010 6:03 AM In reply to

Re: BeoLab 9 - where is the midrange, too much tweeter!

Hi Dave, for the bedroom, if you do not hear the digital music like mp3, internet radio,..., you can use speaker CX100 with Beomaster 3000, or higher is 4500 Systems, Beocenter 9000,9500... I am assure you that the sound is balance, and no too much treble SmileSmile The Beolab 4000 is so good, and so the Beovox 3000, beolab 3000 and higher..., but I think CX100 is much cheaper, but same quality.

• 03-16-2010 7:39 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I'm paying for sound AND design with B&O, I have found a pair of green 6000's, and i have always wanted to buy a pearly green piece, it is my favourite colour! plus there is nothing more practical and appealing than a floor standing speaker you can drag around in an almost portable manner...

Thank you for the ideas though my friend :)

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 03-16-2010 12:15 PM In reply to

Giang Nguyen:

moxxey:

Having owned BL6000s, BL3s, BL9s and BL5s, I wasn't overly impressed with the BL5s and much prefer the BL9s. As we're based in a large flat, with wooden floors, this seemed to confuse the BL5s, so the bass was always really poor. The only time they were excellent, was before we calibrated them (so clearly they were calibrated in a different environment, before we purchased). The BL9s don't need calibration and have decent bass so, for me at least, they sound like a better all-round speaker.

Dear Moxxey, as you mentioned, it means that the quality of the present BO speaker is not as good as older speaker?

Or because of your large flat, so the BL5 can not do the best.

I like the midrange of BL5, something like the midrange of MBL systems. But when I hear the sound of BL9, I have no feeling and think it is for digital music. They are so beautiful. In my opion, the sound from BL1, BL3, BL9, BL6000, BL8000 is mainly for home theatre, for digital music, not for audiophile.

Agree, I use my Bl3 to listen digital music from my computer and........ BL5 to listen CD from my BC2.

Anyway, no speaker from B&O range compare with the BL5!

Also, before buying my Bl5, I tested BL9 in store. That speaker sounded not right to me.  

all sold!

• 03-16-2010 1:31 PM In reply to

• Teletom
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2007
    • the Netherlands
    • Posts 111
    • Gold Member

Dave:

... and i WILL access the potentiometers before i give up. Funny how no-one has made comment on my intention to do that.

Yes, I looked into the BL9 servicemanual several times and also considered to experiment with the potentiometer/switch -settings. To my  understanding  their (main) function is compensating for the production-tolerances of the speakers. However, I am a bit reluctant to adjust in the blind as there are no detailed circuitdiagrams in the servicemanual so you cannot predict the consequences. 

It's explained in the manual that the position of the potentiometers (switches) should be in accordance to a value on the speaker/driver labels. As a matter of curiosity I will check if the correct settings were made in the factory within a couple of weeks.

• 03-16-2010 2:09 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Giang Nguyen:

Dear Moxxey, as you mentioned, it means that the quality of the present BO speaker is not as good as older speaker?

Or because of your large flat, so the BL5 can not do the best.

Yes. The flexible wooden floor caused big problems calibrating the BL5s and, for the money I could get for them, I decided to sell and use the money for other kit. Never really regretted that decision - but would regret selling the BL9s. For me, in my environment, they are ideal.

Guys remember one important thing...what is 'great' mid-range to one person may be different for another. It also depends on the source of your music. I find that electronic music is ideal for the new B&O speakers. The BL3s receive more positive comments than any other speaker I've owned, including the BL5s. People thought they were BL5s were overkill, whereas others are amazed at the range of sound that comes from the BL3s.

• 03-16-2010 2:53 PM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

Dave:

I have found a pair of green 6000's, and i have always wanted to buy a pearly green piece, it is my favourite colour! plus there is nothing more practical and appealing than a floor standing speaker you can drag around in an almost portable manner...

I don't blame you. I sold my green BL6000 (rear speakers in a home cinema setup) 4 years ago I have regreted it ever since. The BL3 that replaced them, while bringing lots of quality sound, have not made me forget the 6000's. Taste is a very personal matter.

Gustavo

• 03-16-2010 3:40 PM In reply to

• Luigi
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Figueres (Spain)
    • Posts 3,013
    • Founder

When I heard the BL9 I felt that the sound was very radical. Too much bass and treble. But the sound was very solid, dynamic and fine. I agree the midrange is hidden, but because the BL9 is very radical.

Luis

• 03-16-2010 8:09 PM In reply to

mmm green Beolabs Yes -  thumbs up

I like!! Where are you getting them Dave?

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 03-17-2010 7:54 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

It wouldn't be beyond the reason of man to add an EQ with low noise levels between the source and speakers.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 03-18-2010 2:01 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

It wouldn't be beyond the reason of man to add an EQ with low noise levels between the source and speakers.

I have zero interest in doing that...

• 03-18-2010 3:39 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Sorry to read about the problem. I too was not impressed with the BL9's at normal listening volumes, when cranked up they seemed to improve but that was it. I found them somewhat tiring to listen to, as Peter mentioned...

Here is the old thread on the BL1 modifications, perhaps it contains something usefull. I think the chasis is similar. Beolab1 Mods.

I have had a déjà vu moment. Someone else I spoke to a while ago was also very unhappy.

beoaus.

• 03-18-2010 3:40 AM In reply to

• Jon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2009
    • Posts 138
    • Bronze Member

Yeah, that defeats one of the purposes for buying B&O - looks count too! 

If you're going to do that, you may as well spend the same amount of money on a rack of high-end bland boxes and get better sound to boot.

• 03-18-2010 4:05 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Yes Jon, my thoughts exactly.

beoaus:

Sorry to read about the problem. I too was not impressed with the BL9's at normal listening volumes, when cranked up they seemed to improve but that was it. I found them somewhat tiring to listen to, as Peter mentioned...

Here is the old thread on the BL1 modifications, perhaps it contains something usefull. I think the chasis is similar. Beolab1 Mods.

Ah yes, I modified my BL1's and it helped a great deal, i will wait until we hear from Dave moulton before i attack my BL9 potentiometers...

• 03-20-2010 7:58 AM In reply to

Dave is correct - the 9s seem to have a recessed mid.Not helped by the psychoacoustic effects of the top end.

I found them unlistenable so they went back to the dealer.They failed to bloom even after 150 hrs use.Many speakers blossom after 100 hrs or so of running in.

Can you swap them for another set? Perhaps we both received a duff pair...

• 03-20-2010 8:55 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Hmm... i am quite undecided what to do, i think i would like to sell them, but i think i would miss them! They do have a nice sound, and are extraordinary things to own, overall... but it's probably not worth the money they cost. What a disspaointment... they've been hyped up so much everywhere...

I was happiest with my BeoLab 4000's maybe i'll sell the BeoLab 9 and get another second hand pair of 4000's.

• 03-20-2010 1:36 PM In reply to

• Jon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2009
    • Posts 138
    • Bronze Member

Dave,

I'm sure somebody somewhere would love to trade their set of BL1's for your newer BL9's... Why not see if you can do that? It'd be worth a shot if you could find a nice clean pair, and then mod them like you did your old pair. Just a thought.

Jon

• 03-21-2010 7:35 PM In reply to

Dave,

I'd happily buy you a pair of Beolab 1s and swap them for the Lab 9s.... Big Smile

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 03-22-2010 12:02 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Haha!! Yeah, no i do not think that makes any sense, i could sell them for $10k and do whatever the heck i like with money to spare.

Thing is, i am growing attatched to them... it's the same story with anything B&O, can anyone really say they don't miss an item they used to own? Only one i don't miss is DVD1, the rest, devastating to part with!

• 04-04-2010 3:16 AM In reply to

Hi Dave and everyone else,

I've been following your discussion about the Beolab 9's, since I've been thinking about buying them for some time. I hadn't heard them, but I really love the design. 

Yesterday I borrowed at pair of BL9 from my nearbye B&O dealers, and I have them till tuesday, so I can really test them.

I've been following your discussions here in this thread, but didn't think that you all were being fair to the BL9's.
    So that's why this hurst for me to say... these speakers really have NO MIDRANGE. I was so madly in love with these speakers from the looks of them, but they really disappointed me.

The tweeter is great - accurate, but maybe a little too strong for my taste. 

I don't think these speakers are all bad - they are great for films, but not for listening to music. Not according to my ears anyway. Stick out tongue

But thanks for at great thread.

Now that I'm not going to buy the BL9's, then what will you guys recommend? I have a BV8-40, which is connected to a BS4 - the speakers will be connected to the BV8-40.

I was the second place winner on the BeoWorld May 2009 Prize Draw!

Thanks to BeoWorld for a great site!

• 04-04-2010 5:51 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

ClausMikkelsen:

Now that I'm not going to buy the BL9's, then what will you guys recommend? I have a BV8-40, which is connected to a BS4 - the speakers will be connected to the BV8-40.

Keep listening to them, play with the setting and the placement, listen to all of your music, and turn them up if you can...

I would certainly recommend that you save up a bit more money and buy a pair of BeoLab 5. You may be lucky enough to find a second hand pair... sometimes they pop up at Lifestyle AV and Iconic AV...

I am liking the sound of the BeoLab 9 more and more, i have the bass and treble setting set quite low and have played with placement, alot. They are VERY good for classical music and live recordings. It will be hard to let them go (but, i need the money, and personally don't feel that they are worth the money with my current lifestyle).

• 04-04-2010 5:53 AM In reply to

Not convinced by 'no' midrange.  The frequency response curves show they're more or less totally flat, apart from a rise above 10kHz - so the treble is a bit strong.

I think I notice the supposed 'lack of midrange' only on badly produced CDs.  A lot of modern stuff is produced with a huge 'smile' EQ curve to push up the treble and the bass, as most crap soundsystems the majority of the music buying public use only really produce midrange, or have a massive peak around that area.  If I pick something done well (nearly any Pink Floyd album, for example), the BL9's sound totally amazing.  I could sit there all day listening.

I'd be interested if Dave Moulton could do any further scientific testing as suggested above...

• 04-04-2010 6:10 AM In reply to

Hi Dave and csmager

I have been playing with placement, and listening to them a lot. Placement has a big thing to say.

I totally agree that Classical and live recordings sound amazing. I have the Coldplay's LeftRightLeftRightLeft livealbum on the BS4 with the BL9's and it sounds amazing!!! But I have tried with a lot of cd's... A LOT!! But most of them sound flat. Not bad, but flat. Like the sound is hold back.

csmager: You're very right in the assumption that many new cd's are "over produced", to make them sound amazing. But in many cases the over producing makes the music sound very bad.

I must atmit the speakers sound better then they did the other day, but I'm still not convinced. But my god they're beautiful... Stick out tongue

I was the second place winner on the BeoWorld May 2009 Prize Draw!

Thanks to BeoWorld for a great site!

• 04-05-2010 12:05 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

ClausMikkelsen:

But most of them sound flat. Not bad, but flat. Like the sound is hold back.

I must atmit the speakers sound better then they did the other day, but I'm still not convinced. But my god they're beautiful... Stick out tongue

Ah now we're getting somewhere, i've heard someone say that when listening to the BL5's too, coldplay, throw it in the bin, their recordings are a joke, rubbish.

Pink Floyd is a favourite of mine and it does sound very surprising, considering it is synth from over 30 years ago! There certainly is a gap in the midrange csmager, even with brilliant classical recordings, there is an imbalance in the top end... but, it's not THAT bad once you adjust the settings, placement and get used to it... just still a bit of a shock when you get home from a live performance and hear such a different sound

• 04-05-2010 4:38 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I'm looking forward to Dave Moulton's thought's on this thread. While I have listened to Lab 9's, it's only been at a Dealers, however I can only say that I've been mightily impressed every time I've heard them (albeit for a fairly limited spells, certainly no more than 1/2 an hour at a time).

I've linked THIS (I imagine most have read it), because it does have a spectrum within which doesn't show any real "holes" (although there is no mention of who or how it was measured).

It's fairly unusual for B&O to receive praise in the audio press and most are ready to knock it down - the BL9 does fair quite well, not only in this but also in other reviews from hifi mags etc.

I can only assume there's some sort of environmental factor at work.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 04-05-2010 11:44 PM In reply to

I'd like to apologize for not having followed up on this thread.  I caught the Mother of All Colds, got behind, acquired some new projects suddenly, and have also been traveling. Next week: Texas!  

I promise to get back to you all with thoughts on this when I get back from that trip.  The thread is actually quite interesting, and I think it raises some important issues.  

Thanks for your patience!

Best regards,

Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
Page 2 of 4 (94 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >