in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-29-2011 6:13 PM by Evan. 93 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (94 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-14-2010 5:27 AM

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

BeoLab 9 - where is the midrange, too much tweeter!

Hey guys, just getting used to my BL9's now and have been listening to everything from metallica to rachmaninov, and i have to say i'm dissapointed and surprised no one has noticed, that these speakers have no midrange, at all!

They are giving all tracks the same tinny, artificial sound, sound i've never heard at a live performance. I have turned the treble down to -6, it won't go any lower, but the tweeter are still far too loud, it sounds really artificial... does anyone know how to access the potentiometers on these spekers? everything below the lower mid-range is great though and they have a very nice tone down there.

I don't get how B&O could have left out this element

I miss my BL1's midrange and impact, but hey, they weren't perfect either, they had the weird mid- bass, and lacked the lower frequencies.

Any thoughts on my post are very much welcomed, i want to know what you all think.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 03-14-2010 7:41 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Re: BeoLab 9 - where is the midrange, too much tweeter!

Strange. Why do you think that ".... no one has noticed, that these speakers have no midrange, at all!..." ?

If there was no midrange at all I`m sure a lot of people here would have noticed.... 

BL9 has a 3/4 tweeter for threble, a 5" cone  for midrange and a 10" cone for bass. I have no BL9, but I listened to them in different Beo stores and had the luck to listen to BL9 in B&O listening room in Struer, and I remember that I was surprised how clear and natural - with just the right amount of really deep bass - these little speakers sound. on the other hand  sometimes in the stores I heard to much bass AND threble from BL9s, but after I reset equalization, everything was fine. 

So maybe there is something with your BL9s?You mentioned BL1: In my opinion one of the worst BLs Beo created. Large speaker with lack of bass and aggressive, "metallic" sounding mids, that`s what I remember - I didn`t own them either.

Stefan

• 03-14-2010 8:36 AM In reply to

We have both Beolab 1s and Beolab 9s. The 9s replaced the 1s which our now rear speakers. I did side by side listening to the 1s and 9s before deciding to keep them and the 9s were much much better. I will say however that I am not sure my ear is good enough to pick out certain frequency as you are mentioning. I can just say that overall the 9s are far better than the 1s.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 03-14-2010 9:48 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Saying there is no midrange at all is exaggerating, so i apologise, i'm felling heated is all. These speakers at current, are seriously missing some frequencies.

The treble is very pretty and concise, but it is artificial, it is overly pronounced and is in need of some mid range to back it up, i have owned both BL1 and BL9 now, and i can say the overall the BL9's are a better speaker, but i am a little frustrated by the top end... maybe i'm going too far saying that only B&O could put a tweeter on a beautiful speaker that sparkles, skimp on a 4th element (that being the upper midrange such as the one on the BL5 or BL1 in this case) and slap on a hefty price tag... what am i doing wrong here?

• 03-14-2010 10:04 AM In reply to

Hi all!

This post is interesting and wants some discussion and maybe measurement.  I'm traveling right now and can't devote any time to this until Tuesday at the earliest.  

I will say, though, that when this speaker was being developed, we were very much concerned with midrange.  Further, with my pair, I don't feel it's missing.  I'll be interested to grab a measurment when I get a chance.  Then we can consider the various things that might be hppening.  

Thanks for raising the question.  

Best regards,

Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
  • 03-14-2010 10:25 AM In reply to

Hi Dave,

I wonder, what sound source are you using? I hear nothing but good on BL9, but tastes can differ of course. A low quality input signal might not be disturbing on a tinny/cool (ICE amplified) sounding BL1 but may be on a (2/3 conventional amplified) BL9.

Interesting thread!

Smile

• 03-14-2010 10:44 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I'll stay tuned for your further posts Mr Moulton, thank you!

I am using them with BeoCenter 2, and with very good cd's, along with bad ones for measure. The room is very dry (roughened ceiling, carpet, brick wall, soft couches and curtains etc.) I think it may also be most prominent because i spent 4 days experiecing wonderful sound at WOMADelaide world music festival, and installed them immediately after that.

^Another variable to consider is that i am still a little upset to have had my BeoLab 1's stolen, i went to great lengths to get them, and some parasite comes along and helps themselves to what i worked very hard for. The insurance company would not give me a cheque to buy another second hand pair.

I do not believe that speakers need *running in* i believe it is your brain getting used to them.

Anyway, if there are any other BL9 owners with this thought on the midrange and top end, chip in.

• 03-14-2010 10:53 AM In reply to

• Teletom
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2007
    • the Netherlands
    • Posts 111
    • Gold Member

Dave:

Saying there is no midrange at all is exaggerating, so i apologise, i'm felling heated is all. These speakers at current, are seriously missing some frequencies.

The treble is very pretty and concise, but it is artificial, it is overly pronounced and is in need of some mid range to back it up, i have owned both BL1 and BL9 now, and i can say the overall the BL9's are a better speaker, but i am a little frustrated by the top end... maybe i'm going too far saying that only B&O could put a tweeter on a beautiful speaker that sparkles, skimp on a 4th element (that being the upper midrange such as the one on the BL5 or BL1 in this case) and slap on a hefty price tag... what am i doing wrong here?

I have BL9's for 6 months now. They are connected to a BS3000 and I completely agree with Dave's opinion that the higher midrange is overly pronounced and sound harsh and yes maybe artificial. I have also experimented with the treble settings (-3 now) and the position of the speakers in the room but there were no significant improvements. We mainly listen to (all sorts) of classical music. I am also  little frustated by the top end frequency range!

• 03-14-2010 2:03 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Maybe a stupid question, but:

Don't you people listen to a speaker BEFORE you buy it?

When I'm gonna buy a speaker, I kindly ask the dealer to turn OFF any EQ, Loudness, Bass- and Treble adjustments and then I'm gonna listen to them with my own music. When I like what I hear, I'll buy it :-)

Did you have the opportunity to compare your Beolab 9 with another pair of Beolab 9? Perhaps there's a defect or your ears simply dislike them!?

• 03-14-2010 2:23 PM In reply to

Actually I agree with this opinion too. The present day taste is for detail and this comes across in many speakers, not just B&O, as a degree of stridency. An audiophile will notice the detail, I find it rather tiring. Older B&O speakers are softer and probably a bit veiled for some people, but they are very soothing to listen to. I also agree with the point that one gets used to speakers. And listening in a showroom is not the same as at home. 

It is however all a matter of taste. I am sure the frequency response of the BL9 will be pretty flat. 

• 03-14-2010 7:29 PM In reply to

I agree with what Peter had said. I came from a pair of BL8000+BL2 to a BL9 setting.

Sometimes, the vocal part IS a little bit overly pronounced, but that is what the acoustic lens do. It makes the vocals really stand out. It also depend on what CD you're listening to. Sometimes it's actually great to have it that way as I could even hear the different instruments separately and separately to the vocals. On the BL8000, the distinction's a little less clear (softer).

I actually think with the older B&O, that's more like reproducing a recording. You will hear sounds coming from a speaker. Whereas the new Beolabs (9,5) it's more like reproducing a live performance. The voice and instruments sounds like they're right in front of you.

It is a matter of taste.

• 03-14-2010 8:51 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

The vocal part (upper mid range) is not over pronounced, that is the part that is missing. It is the tweeter that is over pronounced. In a vocal, that is really just the S's and T's. I don't understand how the midrange on BL9 is lacking, because that part is the same size as beolab 4000, and that speaker has a brilliant midrange.

The sound stage is undeniably accurate, all i am rasing here is the tone of the tweeter being too loud, and the upper midrange, which is UNDER pronounced, and almost seemingly vacant. I see live performances often, and the BL9's do not re-create that tone in the top end.

T.W.G, if you read the further posts, you would understand that my BL9's were awarded to me after i was broken into, i did not want them, I wanted my BL1's back.

• 03-14-2010 9:57 PM In reply to

Dave, sorry to hear that your beloved BL1's stolen and the insurance company didn't provide you with an exact replacement.

Now I understand what you mean. Sorry I'm not good at what sound is in which category.

Now that you mention the S's and T's they are a little over pronounced, but only very very mildly. I have my Beosystem1 treble set to the middle though so I haven't tried reducing that. However, the vocal (normal speech not just the Ss and Ts) is still spectacular on my BL9, totally blowing the BL8000 away in that aspect.

Could this be different between BL9 units?

• 03-14-2010 11:50 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Oh thanks, don't be sorry, it's still a good deal at the end of the day, that's for sure.

beomud:

Could this be different between BL9 units?

It shouldn't be. I listened to BL9 quite a few times in the showroom after they were released, and they have always sounded the same to me, the s's and t's are an example, the sound that the tweeter produces are those sort of high sounds, ticking, clicking, all details, etc. I must admit that this prominence fades at higher volumes, but living in a block of apartments, you have to be considerate right?

Ideally, if i can access the speakers potentiometers and play with them (turn up the mid range element, and turn down the tweeter) then i might be able to get a better result.

• 03-15-2010 4:49 AM In reply to

I have listened to BL9 sometime at B&O local store and I think that it is not worth at all. There is some reason of this matter:

+ older B&O speaker is more "analog", and it is smooth for listening, the sound is detailed and so real, both vocal and stage. If in comparison the BL9 and BL Penta, I must go for penta.

+ BL9 has been developed in era of home theatre and it is type of digital sound, so that, it is not good enough for music.

Only BL5 can meet lots of audiophile's and B&O fan's request about music quality.

• 03-15-2010 5:39 AM In reply to

I don't think that the BL9 is getting a fair press here. this is a good speaker - I have a frequency response chart and Hi-Fi World review in front of me and they review very well both by the reviewer and the lab. I don't know why your midrange is missing - I suspect a problem with your speakers - it might be worth listening to another pair at your dealer. I do not think they are as good as 5s which are sublime but they have a good bass and do disappear beautifully. I don't like the top end as much but that is taste and from an accuracy point of view, I am wrong.

• 03-15-2010 6:11 AM In reply to

• Jon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2009
    • Posts 138
    • Bronze Member

Well, I don't know how much my response is worth, but here's what I think:

First, I'll preface my opinion with a question: Aren't the BL9's made in the Czech Republic?

I ask because maybe their quality control isn't quite up to snuff as compared to good 'ol Denmark.

I remember reading a review of the BL5's where an engineer enthusiastically stated that they 'don't build BL5's, they CLONE them'.

Anyway, regardless of where they're built, I'm thinking that maybe the BL9's don't quite get that same level of attention, and possibly the person who put your pair together wired one of the midrange drivers out of phase. That would cause some cancellation around the X-over points, and probably between each other. Only way to know for sure, like Mr. Moulton said, is to measure them.

By the way, I have to agree with everyone else here. The BL1's are the latest speakers I've heard from B&O. I haven't heard the ALT speaks. Anyway, the 1's sounded horrible to me. Shouty mids, harsh sounding (and I believe the mid and tweeter used conventional Class AB 75w amps, not the IcePower stuff), but with nice quality, although weak, bass.  Thinnest sounding B&O speaker I've ever heard. When I listened to that speaker, my eyes flinched, and I walked away very, very disappointed. Sure did look cool though....

I firmly believe my MS150's would walk the floor with the BL1's, and even doubly so since I substituted in a 7 ohm resistor in lieu of the 2.2 ohm series resistor on the filler driver (R18 I think, if anyone else wants to try it and see). They sound just perfect now. :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Jon

• 03-15-2010 6:22 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

Dave, that may be a stupid question, but... Have you checked the loundness setting on your BS?

Maybe you just have a faulty unit, but 2 is quite impossible...

I have to admit that speaker need "running in", but not really for midrange, more for bass.

• 03-15-2010 9:11 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Oh what am i going to do if they are faulty? Do i ask my dealer to come out and measure them? I'm worried now! I know sound is so sunjective, i'd be surprised and very dissapointed if these turned out to be faulty... they are insurance replacements, and all of my other replacements have also had problems (such as, both ipod and imac!! also the BC2 makes a click as it closes its wings!), what is with that? :(

• 03-15-2010 12:39 PM In reply to

I have popped back to the site just to contribute to this item. I don't think they are faulty Dave. When the 9's first came out I went into my local B&O shop to audition them. My question to the salesman was "Where is the midrange?"

Barry BV6-26,BC2300,Beolab8000,4000,3500,2000,DVD1
  • 03-16-2010 2:11 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Barry. :) I remember thinking the same thing each time i listened to them, i just don't remember it being so severe, and i doubt dealers would have had the treble setting on -6 ...?

Yes i think i'm going to have to get used to them, and i WILL access the potentiometers before i give up. Funny how no-one has made comment on my intention to do that.

Also, Dave Moulton said he will be having a look here again soon when he's free so we shall look forward to his insight!

It's a good thing that they are incredible in all other areas, and they look tremendous in white.

• 03-16-2010 3:08 AM In reply to

Hello Dave,

Greetings from Sydney...

I too have a pair of beolab 9's which I bought about two years ago.

At one point I was so unhappy with the sound that I purchased a DAC and put the sound quality down to 320bit MP3's and NRADIO. CD was of course better but I still always felt something was missing. The DAC did make a big difference to my digital music.

I must confess to having them in a large room with floorboards, glass and aluminium with little to no wallhangings. I bought a rug (much against my design aesthetic) and that has softened the treble screach a little. Wall to wall carpet as in the showroom would make a big difference..

Can't think of any other suggestions..

Will read with interest any other responses

David Coyne

BV8-40, BC6-26, BC2, Beolab 9's, Beogram 7000, Beogram 9500, Beoport, Beotalk 1200, Beocom 6000, Beolit 1000, 800, 700, 600, 400

• 03-16-2010 3:37 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Giang Nguyen:

Only BL5 can meet lots of audiophile's and B&O fan's request about music quality.

Having owned BL6000s, BL3s, BL9s and BL5s, I wasn't overly impressed with the BL5s and much prefer the BL9s. As we're based in a large flat, with wooden floors, this seemed to confuse the BL5s, so the bass was always really poor. The only time they were excellent, was before we calibrated them (so clearly they were calibrated in a different environment, before we purchased). The BL9s don't need calibration and have decent bass so, for me at least, they sound like a better all-round speaker.

Dave, I'm assuming one problem might be the use of the ALTs on the BL9s? They do add a lot of treble to the sound, in my experience. The BL6000s were much more mid-range than the BL3s, as an example.

• 03-16-2010 5:51 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Yes, it seems that it is a huge adjustment to have ALT's after only hearing speakers such as BL4000, BL1, CRT Beovisions etc. I found the BL3 dissapointing to listen to because it had an empty and cold sound, to my ears. It is very interesting however that the BeoLab 5 does not have this TINKLE sound... BL5 is perfect. Moxxey, sorry to hear that it was the bass that turned you away from the BL5, they are the best speakers i have ever experienced, in my life!

G'day David! As i've said, i'm in a very dry room, so the treble can't be reduced anymore, i can't imagine what yours sounded like before the rug! Surprise I remember that you bought a DAC and also were unsure at the start, whether or not to get BL8000's, BL3's with BL2, or BL9's.

The more i listen to the 9's the easier it gets, and the more i hear in the music, just have to take away that expectation that B&o give you, which is, that you get a sound true to the original source.

BeoLab 4000 is still the speaker with a tone the closest to BL5 i've heard personally. An astonishingly well balanced speaker. 

I am just about to get a second hand pair of BL6000's for the bedroom, so this should be a nice refuge from the heavy treble ...

• 03-16-2010 5:52 AM In reply to

moxxey:

Having owned BL6000s, BL3s, BL9s and BL5s, I wasn't overly impressed with the BL5s and much prefer the BL9s. As we're based in a large flat, with wooden floors, this seemed to confuse the BL5s, so the bass was always really poor. The only time they were excellent, was before we calibrated them (so clearly they were calibrated in a different environment, before we purchased). The BL9s don't need calibration and have decent bass so, for me at least, they sound like a better all-round speaker.

Dear Moxxey, as you mentioned, it means that the quality of the present BO speaker is not as good as older speaker?

Or because of your large flat, so the BL5 can not do the best.

I like the midrange of BL5, something like the midrange of MBL systems. But when I hear the sound of BL9, I have no feeling and think it is for digital music. They are so beautiful. In my opion, the sound from BL1, BL3, BL9, BL6000, BL8000 is mainly for home theatre, for digital music, not for audiophile.

Page 1 of 4 (94 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >