in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-07-2010 6:30 AM by Medogsfat. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-23-2010 12:00 AM

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Victoria, British Columbia
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Stylus Cleaning

I posted a question in regard to stylus cleaning and have results to share. Does cleaning the sapphire shaft and diamond stylus make a significant difference? The answer depends on the condition of the stylus. If the assembly is clean there is little difference, however if it is dirty, the difference is nothing less than dramatic.

My MMC2 developed a crunching noise that ruined the music experience. I found that there was debris right at the point where the shaft met the suspension. Debris removed with an artist’s paint brush and the shaft/stylus cleaned with Isopropyl alcohol corrected the problem with stunning results.

The MMC20CL on my Beogram 4000 had become “mellow” as of late but with a methodical cleaning the highs were restored and the clarity enhanced dramatically.

The NOS MMC20CL on my Beogram 4004 was relatively clean and cleaning it made only the slightest of differences.

Then on to the Beogram 4002, this turntable is the one I talk about and use the least with its unremarkable performance. Under 10X all looked normal, but under 30X the shaft was filthy and the stylus looked like it had a hornet’s nest on the tip. Cleaning transformed this Beogram into a real contender to compete with the other Beograms. The difference was like night and day!

Lastly, I cleaned the MMC6000 on my Beogram 8000 which also was quite dirty with AMAZING results. I have heard all sorts of good things about the MMC6000 and now understand the kudos lavished upon it.

So does cleaning make a demonstrable difference? If the shaft/stylus is dirty most definitely yes.

I have been warned not to touch the suspension with the alcohol and have used great care to avoid doing so. However if the shaft/stylus is sullied the effort in cleaning it is well worth the effort.

Jeff

• 02-23-2010 2:17 AM In reply to

Re: Stylus Cleaning

I agree - I clean the stylus each time I play a record and check them once in a while under a microscope for build up. 

Two points:

1. As stated above, don't let alcohol track up to the suspension - it doesn't like it!

2. Remember removing cartridges can cause damage - the later MMC1-5 , especially the later ones seem to have loose pins and you can lose a channel if you keep pulling these on and off. And the small metal tag on the lower part of the cartridge mount on Beogram 400Xs is very fragile! Be careful!

• 02-23-2010 2:27 AM In reply to

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

Jeff

Thanks for all of this interesting information.  I must admit that I have only scanned my stylii under low magnification so it looks as if I will now have to find a more powerful lens to work with.  If the results are as good as you say, it is probably going to be well worth the investment.

Regards

Geoff

• 03-06-2010 11:13 AM In reply to

I periodically clean mine with an artist paintbrush and eyeglasses cleaner purchased from Lenscrafters. A non alchohol based cleaning solution.

Recently I took possession of a BG1700 with a "questionable" MC20EN. Upon close visual inspection the diamond and suspension surrounding it were black like coal. Cleaned it up and it works great.

• 03-06-2010 11:38 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I use an eyeliner brush which I pilfered from the wife & jewellery cleaning solution. Brilliant for removing any hard deposits which build up on the stylus tip.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 03-07-2010 2:58 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Hello,

Interesting topic. I don't very much like pulling out/pushing back in the cartridges on these fragile arms either, for fear of ruining the adjustment of parallelism... not to mention the delicate bearing!

Anyway, I have an MMC20 with a black cantilever—it looks as if something has grown on it. I managed to clean the stylus which was also covered with the black stuff (aluminium oxide?) and it looks okay. 

Any thoughts?

Jacques

Jacques

• 03-07-2010 4:03 AM In reply to

chartz:

Hello,

Interesting topic. I don't very much like pulling out/pushing back in the cartridges on these fragile arms either, for fear of ruining the adjustment of parallelism... not to mention the delicate bearing!

Anyway, I have an MMC20 with a black cantilever—it looks as if something has grown on it. I managed to clean the stylus which was also covered with the black stuff (aluminium oxide?) and it looks okay. 

Any thoughts?

Jacques

Play a record !!!!

• 03-07-2010 4:22 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Play a record !!!!

Err...

I don't get your answer, Eugene.

It's a topic about cleaning. How do I clean the black stuff?

Jacques

• 03-07-2010 6:30 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Jewellery cleaner on a fine brush does the job for me. As already mentioned though, don't get any in the suspension so use very sparingly and always brush away from the cartridge body towards the stylus end of the cantilever.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)