in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-16-2010 11:01 AM by Tod Daniel. 32 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-26-2010 8:21 AM In reply to

Re: What's better - an MX6000 or an Avant 28?

yes, you got a super bargain there, what is the code / model number on the DVD controller, that will tell you what DVD players can be operated by the Beo4 remote control when the scart cable is plugged into the back of an Avant, go for a 32inch with the Beo4 remote included if you can, there are plenty of good deals around for these TV's now :-)

• 02-26-2010 12:33 PM In reply to

DrewSavage:

Friedmett:

If the DVD1 aint connected by scart it will not work with a Beolink remote.

The remote signal comes from the Beovision to the DVD1 or whatever is connected.

Its funny when you look at ads for dvd1 and people asking if the remote is included.

The answer is no as DVD1 is controlled through the Beovision where a remote is standard.

Thank you!  But shouldn't the buttons on the front of the machine at least make it do *something* when a DVD is put in, even if there's no SCART lead connected to it?

Funnily enough I have just managed to buy a red-eye off eBay for £7, so maybe I will ditch the DVD1 idea anyway...

I don't know really. I never had a DVD1 so I can't say but as its really no use of dvd without a screen and knowing the B&O products are mostly designed together you can't have one without the other.

A VX7000 video does only eject if that's anything to go by.

My CRT experience:

Beovision L2800 was rebuild in the power supply as far as I noticed of the shown repair bill. It worked great and did when I sold it with original Beolink video.

Beovision LX5500. Dead beolink 1000mkIII. Software update and RF connection changed but otherwise still running great. Beolink was fixed immediately after arrivial.

Beovision AV9000 with a dead monitor/screen/top part. B&O serviced the powersupply and other things twice. After that it is back to be working great. No video problems yet.

• 02-27-2010 2:38 AM In reply to

Of course the DVD should work with the buttons on the front. Leave this one alone - it is broken. An Avant DVD will be rather more expensive because, as you have already worked out, it is much more desirable! Lee is selling a 32" one for £895.

My experience:

Avant DVD 32" - blew a capacitor after one year - no problems since.

LX6000 - just started to have an earthing issue - will be fixed!

AV9000 - lovely set though VCR is a VX7000 and a bit flaky!

MX2000 - don't touch these.

8902 - gorgeous picture but too old - a variety of circuit problems though tube still fine.

BV10 - no clouding issues in mine!

• 02-27-2010 4:02 AM In reply to

Peter :

MX2000 - don't touch these.

Well, why not, if you consider your "investment" expendable - certainly not worth repairing if you need any fancier spare parts or somebody doing it for you. I paid 31 euros for my externally very good white specimen, spent half an hour fixing bad solderings, and it has given great service since. The picture is a bit dim, but using an RGB signal from an STB it is much, much sharper than either my MX4002 or MX6000 (both have lousy RGB switching, which applies to all of this chassis family having two SCART inputs). You can actually read the smaller sports score graphics on the MX2000!

-mika

• 02-27-2010 4:52 AM In reply to

The MX2000 is fine if you don't pay too much. I paid 20 pounds for mine, it looks smart in a fetching shade of red and the picture is fine through a freeview box that I bought for a similarly nominal sum.

It is goes wrong I am likely to replace rather than repair, and it's not suitable as a main TV, but as an extra TV mine was a bargain!

Simon

• 07-16-2010 5:08 AM In reply to

Well, I have to say the Avant 32 is one of the best things I've ever bought!  Looks great, fantastic picture quality, and the only problem was it nearly killed three of us getting up the stairs to my friend's first floor flat where I'm staying at the moment... got to get it down again in a couple of weeks!

And things were much simpler once I'd bought a Beo4 remote off eBay.

Even the DVD1 seems to work pretty well, it hasn't had any trouble at all playing DVDs although it does seem to be a bit fussy about which CDs it'll play.  Some of them just come out as low-level fuzz.  But as I've got other places to play CDs so it doesn't really matter.

And I've just bought an MX1500 off eBay for £20.  I know it's basically a Phillips, but it looks nice and I need a bedroom TV for the new flat...

Anyway, I do have another question.  The video part of the Avant seems to be seized up.  It'll take tapes in and out and will fast forward but doesn't seem to want to play.  I hardly ever watch VHSs these days, and I can always connect another player up to it.  But might it be fixable?

I'm guessing really that the size and weight of the entire thing makes taking it to any sort of engineer much more trouble than it's worth...

• 07-16-2010 5:29 AM In reply to

DrewSavage:

Well, I have to say the Avant 32 is one of the best things I've ever bought!  Looks great, fantastic picture quality, and the only problem was it nearly killed three of us getting up the stairs to my friend's first floor flat where I'm staying at the moment... got to get it down again in a couple of weeks!

And things were much simpler once I'd bought a Beo4 remote off eBay.

Even the DVD1 seems to work pretty well, it hasn't had any trouble at all playing DVDs although it does seem to be a bit fussy about which CDs it'll play.  Some of them just come out as low-level fuzz.  But as I've got other places to play CDs so it doesn't really matter.

And I've just bought an MX1500 off eBay for £20.  I know it's basically a Phillips, but it looks nice and I need a bedroom TV for the new flat...

Anyway, I do have another question.  The video part of the Avant seems to be seized up.  It'll take tapes in and out and will fast forward but doesn't seem to want to play.  I hardly ever watch VHSs these days, and I can always connect another player up to it.  But might it be fixable?

I'm guessing really that the size and weight of the entire thing makes taking it to any sort of engineer much more trouble than it's worth...

No, wait... I just tried testing it again and it worked perfectly.  Joy!

Maybe lugging it up a flight of stairs jolted something back into place?

• 07-16-2010 11:01 AM In reply to

Oh my gosh, I so agree with the problems with DVD1. I bought one from new at the end of 2005. i guess it has the Pioneer mechanism.  It has been the biggest pile of rubbish that i have wasted £750 on. it frequently sticks whilst playing clean dvds and has an annoying habit of replaying the chapter which it has just played. in short an absolute load of trash Bang and Olufsen are a disgrace for offering such expensive rubbish - im disgusted with them!

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2