in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-08-2010 4:19 PM by Flappo The Grate. 118 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (119 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-05-2010 1:35 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: bno should concentrate on apple users not windows ; here's the proof : 90% high end marketshare

tournedos:

Soundproof, where do you get these stories? There has been no "DOS core" in Windows since NT 3.1...

I'm sure that story of yours is a great bar joke at the Apple evangelists' convention, but let's try to stay with the facts here. Or just bury this crappy thread.

This thread is a prime example of why any mention is banned on Wednesdays©Yes -  thumbs up

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-05-2010 1:38 PM In reply to

Re: bno should concentrate on apple users not windows ; here's the proof : 90% high end marketshare

Puncher:

tournedos:

Soundproof, where do you get these stories? There has been no "DOS core" in Windows since NT 3.1...

I'm sure that story of yours is a great bar joke at the Apple evangelists' convention, but let's try to stay with the facts here. Or just bury this crappy thread.

This thread is a prime example of why any mention is banned on Wednesdays©Yes -  thumbs up

Ooh yes, it's quite refreshing to get away from Apple at least somewhere on a B&O forum Laughing

(should've said more accurately "...since the demise of Windows ME" above - I won't go back and edit the original anymore)

-mika

• 02-05-2010 1:44 PM In reply to

I thought my use of the tense was quite clear?

... for a long time was on speed with their OS - the 512 scoops of data in DOS needed to shoveled out of the way faster and faster, for the OS to keep up with other offerings.

And for a long time, Apple computers were called slow, because they had lower clock-speeds than PCs. But in pgm-to-pgm comparisons on the two platforms, the speed difference vanished.

DOS proprietary architecture remains a part of the OS - in order to protect Microsoft patents.

• 02-05-2010 1:45 PM In reply to

re xavier , you can view by size but and even search by size but you can't sort your results by size

which rather defeats the purpose of searching in the first place

it's greyed out for some utterly crazy reason

popgear is grate™

• 02-05-2010 2:51 PM In reply to

soundproof:

I thought my use of the tense was quite clear?

... for a long time was on speed with their OS - the 512 scoops of data in DOS needed to shoveled out of the way faster and faster, for the OS to keep up with other offerings.

Can you elaborate on "512 scoops of data in DOS" that are/were being shoveled out of the way in Windows? In all my years of study and work on computer architecture and OS internals I've never heard of anything that could remotely be twisted into that.

And for a long time, Apple computers were called slow, because they had lower clock-speeds than PCs. But in pgm-to-pgm comparisons on the two platforms, the speed difference vanished.

Certainly many fools made such comparisons. Anybody who knows anything will not compare the clock speeds on totally different processor architectures... (where PPC and x86 were just about as far from each other as possible)

DOS proprietary architecture remains a part of the OS - in order to protect Microsoft patents.

If you say so. Huh?

-mika

• 02-05-2010 5:56 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

XavierItzmann:

Apple is a $50 billion (turnover) company.

Microsoft is a $59 billion (turnover) company.

Not sure from where you've got those figures, it's rather  Apple US$ 36,5bn and Microsoft US$ 56,3b as far as the latest annual comparison goes (the latter being a rather more complex company).

XavierItzmann:
    A corollary to the line of reasoning that managing such behemoths requires skill is that those who are able to do so should have no restriction in accepting whatever pay and bonus the Board of Directors decides it needs to pay in order to attract that caliber of talent.

Those who have demonstrated a real talent (admittedly combined with a great deal of luck, too) have already awarded themselves - they do not need to chase the top jobs for yet another 100m salary - actually, Steve Jobs, but also eg Eric Schmidt of Google have a salary of US$ 1,-, annually.

Indeed, Google joined Microsoft and Apple as the third giant to compete in the tech arena - an easy read on that incl. some comparisons here.

• 02-05-2010 6:36 PM In reply to

saf:

XavierItzmann:

Apple is a $50 billion (turnover) company.

Microsoft is a $59 billion (turnover) company.

Not sure from where you've got those figures, it's rather  Apple US$ 36,5bn and Microsoft US$ 56,3b as far as the latest annual comparison goes

The figures come from the master of the Reality Distortion Field®:

“If you annualize our quarterly revenue, it’s surprising that Apple is now a $50+ billion company,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO.

As to complexity, one might consider that the fruity company is the #1 seller of music in the US, the #3 smartphone seller in the world, the #5 personal computer seller in the U.S., and, with 294 stores in 10 countries, the largest computer boutique chain in the world.  The retail operations alone have 20,000 employees.

• 02-05-2010 7:42 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

XavierItzmann:

Fair enough, he talks about the future using present tense - if you annualize [their 2010 Q1] revenue. I don't want to be splitting a hair further, still the Microsoft figure must also be coming from the future? Stick out tongue

XavierItzmann:

As to complexity, one might consider that the fruity company is the #1 seller of music in the US, the #3 smartphone seller in the world, the #5 personal computer seller in the U.S., and, with 294 stores in 10 countries, the largest computer boutique chain in the world.  The retail operations alone have 20,000 employees.

I'm not denying that Apple is also complex enough a company, rather I try to see things in a broader context. An article from 2007 hopefully illustrates my point on complexity. (Also, if possible for B&O, they should not get dependent on just one 'standard' represented by either company - I think.)

On a lighter note:

Steve Jobs:

Mercedes - check (SL55, but he also has a Gulfstream V)

Apple - check

B&O - ?

Big Smile

• 02-05-2010 9:12 PM In reply to

Speaking of B&O and computing, maybe I missed this on the boards last month but did anyone else see this?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2357612,00.asp

• 02-06-2010 3:40 AM In reply to

Yes - been featured a few times - I don't think B&O acknowledge the link. It is a David Lewis design. The article is appallingly written - 'even more unique' - horrible!

• 02-06-2010 7:43 AM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

Well, I've certainly been one of those who is guilty of talking Apple up on this forum - less so recently as I've been relatively busy at work.

As I read posts by the various Apple pundits (i.e. the other people on this forum that have been very vocal for years in clamoring for B&O to partner better with Apple), I continue to be impressed with the passions expressed.  I'll spare you guys by not re-posting my old letter to TBS, the former CEO of B&O, in which I plead for B&O to seek more formal ties with Apple or, at the very least, strive to leave a lot of the software up to Apple or compatible with Apples as I've made y'all endure that letter at least once in the past.  However, as I watch the predictions of myself and others about Apple's dominance come to fruition and as I also watch B&O seemingly continue to ignore what seems so obvious to so many, it makes me want to pull my hair out.

B&O - check

Apple - check

Land Rover - check (sorry to disrupt the German car / Danish AV trend, but I hunt and fish a lot and I need a tough SUV)

Mark D
  • 02-06-2010 7:59 AM In reply to

• 02-06-2010 10:00 AM In reply to

steve wozniak co-founder of apple ;

http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/cell-phones/bang-&-olufsen-serene/7896.html

We saw Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple, pull a Serene out of his pocket during a recent video interview, and it made us wonder why he would like it so much. It must have been for the unsurpassed sound quality

popgear is grate™

• 02-06-2010 2:27 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Steve Wozniak also is a Bang & Olufsen stereo owner. He was interviewed recently on a History Channel episode with his BS 2500 with multi-coloured speaker grilles in the background. Cool !

But back to the thread:

Bang & Olufsen should accomodate Apple users: If not to accomodate the growing Apple user numbers, then at least to the stockholders, justified on the obvious business need to tap into the Apple market share.

• 02-06-2010 8:23 PM In reply to

In the "docu-film" "pirates of silicon valley" Steve Jobs has a B&O stereo in his office. I know Steve has had high-end stereo systems, and can certainly see him appreciating the B&O design.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 02-07-2010 12:16 AM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

XavierItzmann:

Yes, that's been rumoured and talked about before, but 1985 was long ago - what about the more recent products? :-)

Flappo The Grate:

We saw Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple, pull a Serene out of his pocket during a recent video interview, and it made us wonder why he would like it so much. It must have been for the unsurpassed sound quality

That's reassuring then and maybe he wouldn't even say a no to BS/BM5's MOTS either - oobs, it doesn't handle Apple's format ... :-) 

• 02-07-2010 11:27 AM In reply to

If the Beoworld Forum were hosted on a Mac I bet it wouldn't crash so often :P

BTW - I have a VW (made in Mexico) two Macs and lots of B&O!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 02-08-2010 8:16 AM In reply to

Well, I didn't imagine that I would be joining again in the PC vs Mac debate so soon, but..........

Google search function on my Windows laptop PC started behaving oddly with searches being diverted to wrong pages etc. I ran Norton and it found and quarantined a trojan virus. But the problem continued. Contacted Norton/ Symantec..... they suggested a free guide to digging into my operating system (with warnings about how I wouldn't be able to do it unless in IT), or they could do it remotely for a fee of £69.

Cur a long story short, it took them all morning to sort out the problem. (At first they said it was a new issue that would take another 48 hours to resolve.) PC now back to normal (I think.) So what annoys me is that Windows XP is inherently vulnerable to viruses, Norton 360 (£56 for two years?) is running but couldn't deal with this particular problem, so I have to pay another £69. Assuming no repeat of the problem, that's £125 total over 2 years to Norton. My approximation of converting annual costs to a present single value is to multiply by ten, so £62.50 per annum is the equivalent of an up-front £625. More than enough to justify buying any Mac over a Dell or Toshiba!

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 02-08-2010 4:19 PM In reply to

now you know why that guy with 11 posts was SO defensive over us mac guys

20 years in IT and still has a job

see above .. Big SmileStick out tongue

popgear is grate™

Page 5 of 5 (119 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5