in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-08-2010 4:19 PM by Flappo The Grate. 118 replies.
Page 2 of 5 (119 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-02-2010 4:44 PM In reply to

Re: bno should concentrate on apple users not windows ; here's the proof : 90% high end marketshare

Puncher:
    Maybe they should sell them all in the same store - sort of like a one stop life-in-a-box shop!

Benz & Olufsen Pie?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-02-2010 5:12 PM In reply to

Re: bno should concentrate on apple users not windows ; here's the proof : 90% high end marketshare

burantek:

Puncher:
    Maybe they should sell them all in the same store - sort of like a one stop life-in-a-box shop!

Benz & Olufsen Pie?

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing   Trust Jeff to get to the core of the issue!

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 02-02-2010 5:20 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

vikinger:

burantek:

Puncher:

Benz & Olufsen Pie?

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing   Trust Jeff to get to the core of the issue!

Oh dear - it brings to mind an unfortunate image of a young chappy with a pie from a certain film!UnsureLaughing

I shal never think of LEE in the same light again!Big Smile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-02-2010 6:08 PM In reply to

The question is, what are they supposed to deliver?

Let's say for music, Itunes is certainly the dominant platform. Do we need to plug in our Ipods into our Beosounds? For me this is not a must have features. All I like is to maintain one Library with my content and that should work both for listening at home with expensive speakers as well as on the road with my ipod. To me AAC at 320 is a fine compromise between quality and disk space.

For the BS5, Do I care if it runs it's own box? No, as long as it uses same metadata as I have in Itunes. What is missing that is Mac specific? Gapless playing. I can see that some like to have Apple Lossless. Anything else?

For Video, story is different. I have Beo4 control over my library and it maintains itself by connecting to IMDB to look up cover and contend description even if I add my own files. Do I want Itunes for this? At this point no, it is nasty to work with it over a wireless network connection and I have too much content to keep it local.

So what is actually missing for MAC Users besides what I mention for Music? If you have your videos in Itunes, you can control that through your Beovision.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 02-03-2010 4:55 AM In reply to

soundproof:

Relative to performance and productivity, Mac's are not expensive, tournedos. 

B&O takes a premium within A/V; Apple does so within personal computing. Critics who don't know the Apple experience consider them overpriced.

soundproof is right, apple products are not that expensive instead of the quality you get.

i never understood why b&o, since the beginning of creating their software, only have focused on windows user.

designer, architects, sound producer, etc. have used apple products for a long time ago... i use mac in my job since 1993. nowadays apple become more mainstream, since the ipod was invented. people recognize, that hardware and software from apple products, are perfectly matched and user-friendly. people love their macs, ipods, iphones etc. for that...

best regards

dario

• 02-03-2010 5:54 AM In reply to

superdario:
    i never understood why b&o, since the beginning of creating their software, only have focused on windows user.
    This is because the former CEO did not like Apple, also they had seen stats saying that Apple's market share was 4%. Because they were a small company they thought they could not afford doing much effort to support such a small market share.

The current CEO has acknoledged publicly that this was a mistake, for all the reasons given in this thread and has said Macs will be supported.

• 02-03-2010 10:10 AM In reply to

PhilLondon:
    superdario:
    This is because the former CEO did not like Apple, also they had seen stats saying that Apple's market share was 4%. Because they were a small company they thought they could not afford doing much effort to support such a small market share.

The current CEO has acknoledged publicly that this was a mistake, for all the reasons given in this thread and has said Macs will be supported.

It is good to know that the management at least acknowledged the problem and will push to further support macs. Though it will never be easy for them.

I do think B&O did put (some?) pressure on the writer of the original BM-link software for mac. To what degree ? we will never know. 
    An update to the B&O endorsed program (BM-link) was made in order to guarantee compatibility with the Mac platform.

The best way to get anything done is to just write to B&O with your requests... if they do receive alot of questions/demands etc for something they will for sure try to comply as it make good business sense.

A good move forward by B&O, though I think more can be done (I love linkplayer btw), and for sure in a better way. (think of the senseless (typecast form) replies received from B&O care on that subject, some of them have been posted on this forum).

• 02-03-2010 10:19 AM In reply to

+1

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 02-03-2010 10:25 AM In reply to

cooldude:
    I do think B&O did put (some?) pressure on the writer
    He explained he did not have any B&O to test since he move to california.

We have since learned the B&O did indeed gave him some hardware so that he could test.

cooldude:
    I love linkplayer btw
    Me too ;-)
  • 02-03-2010 11:01 AM In reply to

PhilLondon:
    cooldude:
    I do think B&O did put (some?) pressure on the writer
    He explained he did not have any B&O to test since he move to california.

We have since learned the B&O did indeed gave him some hardware so that he could test.
     Glad to know B&O listened, cared enough and took its responsibility serious :)  

cooldude:
    I love linkplayer btw
    Me too ;-)

Any final release date coming up for linkplayer?

• 02-03-2010 12:56 PM In reply to

Just remember, Apple would be history now if Bill Gates - yes, he of Microsoft Windows fame - had not chucked $150m pocket change in their direction in 1997 when they were on the edge of the abyss.

Also remember that the Apple platform died out several years ago. What you buy from Apple now is nothing more than Intel x86 technology - the same PC architecture that dates back to the 1980's. It's just that they dress it up better than your average PC manufacturer.

• 02-03-2010 1:11 PM In reply to

sorry , but that's utter rubbish

stop trolling , thank you

popgear is grate™

• 02-03-2010 1:26 PM In reply to

Enigma:

Just remember, Apple would be history now if Bill Gates - yes, he of Microsoft Windows fame - had not chucked $150m pocket change in their direction in 1997 when they were on the edge of the abyss.

Also remember that the Apple platform died out several years ago. What you buy from Apple now is nothing more than Intel x86 technology - the same PC architecture that dates back to the 1980's. It's just that they dress it up better than your average PC manufacturer.

Apple would have survived with or without Microsofts input (which is more of dispute settlement than anything else)
    http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-202143.html

and a little quote from wikipedia :

Steve Jobs stated that Apple's primary motivation for the transition was their disappointment with the progress of IBM's development of PowerPC technology, and their greater faith in Intel to meet Apple's needs. In particular, he cited the performance per watt (that is, the speed per unit of electrical power) projections in the roadmap provided by Intel. This is an especially important consideration in laptop design, which affects the hours of use per battery charge.

• 02-03-2010 1:26 PM In reply to

Oh dear.

http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/2009/08/dayintech_0806/

@ Flappo - You sir, are a fool. Check your facts before posting back like this and learn how to use Google if you want to read more. In fact, the history of Apple is well documented on Wikipedia if you care to take a look.

• 02-03-2010 3:07 PM In reply to

i'm not going to even waste my time arguing with you

popgear is grate™

• 02-03-2010 3:37 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

That was a lot more restrained than I was expecting from Flappo!Yes -  thumbs upLaughing

• 02-03-2010 4:09 PM In reply to

i doubt he's ever even used a mac

yet he falls for all the anti-apple drivel the media spurts out

and i'm the fool ?

Big Smile

popgear is grate™

• 02-03-2010 4:21 PM In reply to

Hmmm … and I paid money for this? The Internet is full of free places to rant on about “my Apple/Linux/PC is better than yours” and I’ll tell you what a good deal will be way more technically informed that what I’ve read here so far.  Flappo - I’ve had to fix or workaround Apple integration issues you probably don’t even know exist.

Ok, B&O is a hobby for me. IT is my business, I’ve been doing this for 22 years. It’s well known in the industry that Apple owners are elitist; it’s also well known that many Apple users in the enterprise are having to run Vista or Windows 7 via Bootcamp to do business in the real world. And let’s not even touch on consumer iPhone vs. Blackberry in anything other than a small business. There are niches and exceptions of course, some people get by – really depends on the environment.  All well and good  - enjoy it – and for home use, hey fine.

Don’t get me wrong, Apple know how to dress a product up and market it, and I own plenty of Apple gadgets myself.

Which carries across to B&O – I’ve spent horrendous amounts of money on this stuff over the years because I like it. Looks great, sounds good – but I’m not blind enough to ignore the fact that most of that money has gone on the design & cosmetics, built around Philips or Panasonic kit for the most part. I know I can get better performing kit that looks less attractive at a phenomenally cheaper price. But I don’t and for that some people I work with think I have lost the plot. And I've spent that money on B&O enduring disinterested, snotty salesmen and drastic after sales support.

Absolutely no different to Apple – standard, locked-down tech wrapped up in pretty clothes. No wonder B&O owners are drawn in, myself included. But please, don’t delude yourself. I don’t.

• 02-03-2010 4:24 PM In reply to

Puncher:

It's actually quite sad!Stick out tongue

I agree.  This is why I went with a VW, the 12-cylinder version.  Think different! Big Smile

With regard to Apple, there is saying that once you go Mac you never go back.  This has been true for me since 1987.

• 02-03-2010 4:36 PM In reply to

PhilLondon:
    the former CEO did not like Apple, also they had seen stats saying that Apple's market share was 4%

Wow, what a crass business error!  Yes, it is true: if you look at worldwide statistics, even today over 90% of computers are not Apple.  But that is the crudest of measures.  I wonder if this same chap also looked at worldwide statistics and found that 99.999% of radios are not Bang and Olufsen and therefore, by his own reasoning, not worth looking at?

You have to slice the pie.  Elemental marketing.

• 02-03-2010 4:39 PM In reply to

what an arrogant little chap you are , enigma

i've been using macs since the early 90's ( long before they became fashionable ) and no i didn't buy one to be elitist or to show off , i bought one because i enjoyed using it and it was reliable and well made , i couldn't care less if it was shiny and white and had an apple logo on it

if you actually think pc's ad macs are identical then you obviously don't have a clue what you're talking about

seen a pc laptop using the unibody structure for example ?

thought not

popgear is grate™

• 02-03-2010 4:39 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

XavierItzmann:

Puncher:

It's actually quite sad!Stick out tongue

I agree.  This is why I went with a VW, the 12-cylinder version.  Think different! Big Smile

With regard to Apple, there is saying that once you go Mac you never go back.  This has been true for me since 1987.

I'm glad you agree!Big Smile

Can't afford flash cars myself but if I could and I wanted one it would certainly be a Jag.

I'm OK with folk having Apple - I couldn't do my job with one however, (have XP/2000 at work, Win7 at home), and so I have sympathy/agree in part with Enigma.

What does do my napper however are evangelists - I'll choose myself thankyou, louder shouting just puts me off even more!

• 02-03-2010 4:42 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Flappo The Grate:

what an arrogant little chap you are , enigma

i've been using macs since the early 90's ( long before they became fashionable ) and no i didn't buy one to be elitist or to show off , i bought one because i enjoyed using it and it was reliable and well made , i couldn't care less if it was shiny and white and had an apple logo on it

if you actually think pc's ad macs are identical then you obviously don't have a clue what you're talking about

seen a pc laptop using the unibody structure for example ?

thought not

That's more what I was expecting!Laughing

In Enigma's defence, the unibody structure doesn't help in his IT world!

(Sorry, it's none of my business)Embarrassed

• 02-03-2010 4:46 PM In reply to

Flappo – jog on,  I’ve forgotten more about IT than you’ll ever understand. You can have your pointless fan-boy thread back. It’s a bit sad to find someone still using “Windoze” as a put-down; still, made me smile Big Smile

• 02-03-2010 4:55 PM In reply to

as i said - arrogant

you're in IT - big deal...i'm so impressed - not

i'd be more impressed if you were capable of adhering to forum etiquette instead of calling people fools

but you ARE in IT..

popgear is grate™

Page 2 of 5 (119 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >