in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-22-2007 2:35 AM by marcus_m. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-18-2007 11:00 AM

• rw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-15-2007
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

Cabling to a Beolab 3500

Hello All, (and help!)

I've been asked by a friend to help with his beosound 9000 sound system. He has 3no Beolab 3500 speakers wired in Cat5e (4 pair) cable and can't get any sound through them. They all have power from a seperate source. I've tried fitting the Beolink connectors to the Cat5e and the speakers are responding to the remote controle, but still no sound.

Am I missing anything obvious? Can the Cat5 be 'adapted' to work?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

rw 

Filed under:
  • 06-18-2007 11:16 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: Cabling to a Beolab 3500

Are you positive it's wired correctly? Check this wiring diagram:

http://beotech.co.uk/wiring4.htm

Also, I believe Cat5 cable isn't appropriately shielded. You may notice a drop in sound quality or even issues with communicating. Have never actually wired an ML cable so I couldn't tell you what the side-effects are of using the wrong cable...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-18-2007 12:01 PM In reply to

CAT5 cable is not suitable, whilst I am sure some people have used it particularly for short runs it is suited to all signals being balanced pairs of signal wires, Masterlink is not. I strongly suggest using the correct type of ML cable.

Regards Keith....

• 06-21-2007 7:58 PM In reply to

I don't think cat5 is shielde at all, so you don't hav ground connection if am not right, you ned to schortcut white/blue and pink to get down to 8 wire. and chek your wireing

But don't work whit no ground

ML is a balanced signal

• 06-22-2007 2:35 AM In reply to

My whole house is wired with Cat7 cable and it works as the original ML cable (only much much cheaper). The Cat5e only has a foil shield, which is not sufficient for the ground of the power supply. Another drawback of Cat5 cable is, that the pairs are not shielded individually. Therefore you could hear any command in the speakers :(

Try to run an extra cable for the ground, then it should work, but not perfect! 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)