in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-22-2010 8:16 AM by OKA. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-14-2010 7:06 AM

• MikaelB
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Herning, Denmark
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

SPDIF from BeoMaster 5 to BeoVision 7-40 (Mk IV)

I have a BeoSound 5/BeoMaster 5 as audio master in the main room, and a BeoVision 7-40 Mk IV ad videomaster.

The BeoMaster 5 are not connected directly to the BeoVision 7-40 (no DVI-D to HDMI), meaning that I do not use the PC function of the BeoVision at the moment.

The BeoMaster 5 and BeoVision 7-40 are only connected via Master Link.

Question:

Is there any way of getting the BeoMaster 5 to send the sound via SPDIF (digital) in stead of via Master Link (analoge)?

Will this automatically happen if I connect the BeoMaster 5 to e.g. AV 5 as PC and connect the SPDIF?

/MikaelB

• 01-14-2010 12:23 PM In reply to

Re: SPDIF from BeoMaster 5 to BeoVision 7-40 (Mk IV)

Hi Mikael, You'll need to connect the SPDIF from the BeoMaster 5 to an AV input on the BeoVision 7, and then set a connection in the menu - i.e. connect the SPDIF to AV5 and set up AV5 as PC. Also in the connections menu you will have to tell the BV7 that AV5 has a SPDIF input. Then, when you select PC, the BV7 will use the SPDIF from your BeoMaster 5 instead of the MasterLink connection. You can switch off the screen and still access the SPDIF by pressing P.MUTE on your remote. (Picture Mute). This needs adding to your Beo4 or Beo5 if it's not there already. If you are not using the video features of the BeoMaster 5 then you could set up a single button on your Beo5 that does PC then P.MUTE automatically. However, you might as well run a DVI-HDMI cable at the same time as you run a SPDIF, as seeing the covers on your BeoVision 7 is great when you're in MOTS and not sure what you are listening too. Also it makes N.RADIO much easier, and you can store all of your photos on to do slideshows with your music in the background. Marvellous!

BV7-40MK4BR,7-32,6-22,6-23,6-26,BSnd5,9000,BLab9,3,4000,2,BCom2,6000,Btalk1200,LC2s,Lutron

• 01-15-2010 7:20 AM In reply to

I believe that the instant you move any control on the BeoSound 5, the source will switch from PC to N.Music and the sound will revert to the masterlink connection.

• 01-16-2010 11:36 AM In reply to

• MikaelB
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Herning, Denmark
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

I have tried to connect as you discribed MartinW. And it works fine. If I try to disconnect the SPDIF then no sound, so it uses the SPDIF.

Al this is when i press PC on the remote, when pressing CD (N.Music) then it sounds like it is switching back to masterlink again.

I had hoped that it kept on using the SPDIF, but it doesn't seem so. There are differences in the music using the one (PC / SPDIF) versus the other (CD / MasterLink), but my ears are not qualifyed to describe what they are. 

I just assumed a better signal was obtained by keeping the signal digital as long as possible.

One could start discussing the differnece between the D/A converter in the BeoMaster 5 and in the BeoVision 7 versus transporting the signal analouge via MasterLink.

I also agree with MartinW that it is great beeing able to see the cover of what is playing, as you can when playing via PC on BV7. But in my case I have placed the BeoSound 5 so it can be seen from the listening position, so the cover is always visible here.

Thanks for your input.

/MiakelB

• 01-19-2010 10:10 AM In reply to

• OKA
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-03-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 15
    • Bronze Member

I have the same setup with BeoMaster 5 and BeoVision 7-40 MKIV, but also with Beolab 5s inserted in the SPDIF chain.

Unfortunately I can not make it work with SPDIF, because as far as I can tell the BeoMaster does not output any signal.

If I connect the powerlinks to the speakers directly to Beomaster 5 insted of the TV and changes to mode 1 (it is usually in mode 0 and Audiomaster = yes for use with Beovision) then it works and a SPDIF signal is output, but of course I can not use that solution as the speakers should be connected to the TV.

I have made the setup for the Beovision as described by MartinW, but the result is still no sound when in PC mode.

So, to you who have it working, do you have any suggestions. What mode are you running the TV and Beomaster in?

Regards Ole

• 01-19-2010 10:43 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Connect BM5 spdif out directly to BL5 digital in. BV7 Powerlink out to BL5 Powerlink in. BL5 will switch to digital in automatically when detecting an spdif signal. BM5 in A.OPT 0,  BV7 V.OPT 2.

Stefan

• 01-22-2010 8:16 AM In reply to

• OKA
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-03-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 15
    • Bronze Member

stefan:

Connect BM5 spdif out directly to BL5 digital in. BV7 Powerlink out to BL5 Powerlink in. BL5 will switch to digital in automatically when detecting an spdif signal. BM5 in A.OPT 0,  BV7 V.OPT 2.

Stefan

Yes, that is what I feared, because that is how it is connected already.

I have heard that the SPDIF feature in opt 0 was new from around last October and I expected it to be in the latest software.

Could it be so that a hardware change i required? My BM5 is from last May. 

Ole

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)