in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-12-2010 3:22 PM by Electrified. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-05-2010 5:34 PM

Very nice looking B&O designed Laptop

Filed under:
  • 01-05-2010 6:07 PM In reply to

Re: Very nice looking B&O designed Laptop

Interesting... coming from an Apple guy! Laughing Has a bit of a Serene look to it.

In the third pic, it appears that "Bang & Olufsen" appears in the text... (top left corner of screen area). Hmm

Dump the windoze... add a Beo inspired Linux desktop... hmmm!

Looking forward to finding out more.

++++EDIT++++

More here... w/ shots of the desktop, but some pics don't show the script as I mentioned above... hmmm...

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-05-2010 6:21 PM In reply to

Looking at the specs you could always turn it into a hackintosh Big Smile

• 01-05-2010 6:28 PM In reply to

bigalessex:

Looking at the specs you could always turn it into a hackintosh Big Smile

The though had crossed my mind... Laughing ...as did a Linux install, but what about drivers for the dual touchpads? Could be a nightmare!

I am interested to see how this pans out...

Is it a Lewis design only? Did B&o have any activity in its inception? Will it be branded with B&o/Bang & Olufsen? Or is it like the Samsung phones w/ a simple nod to B&o?

OR... is this just a "design exercise" -I don't think so... wasn't it ASUS that did other branded laptops... Ferrari, etc...?

OTH, will Apple launch a tablet in ~3 weeks?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-05-2010 6:29 PM In reply to

^MODDED POST COMING... ARGH! Wish I knew what killed it! Super Angry LaughingLaughingLaughing

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-05-2010 6:35 PM In reply to

• Stoney3K
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2007
    • Eindhoven, NL
    • Posts 91
    • Silver Member

Snappy looking laptop. I'd imagine a major IT player like ASUS to start dealing with a big designer like Lewis (or Jensen, for that matter).

I'm a bit concerned about the portability of the thing, it looks quite fragile for an everyday-use notebook. I'd keep it more or less on the desktop, the 18" screen with the speakers is quite huge and I'm not sure how durable the hinges are. Thin laptops look good, but they're flimsy.

The desktop launcher GUI looks quite amazing, I wouldn't be surprised if ASUS put the program on their website for other notebooks. It would be quite useful on their EEE T-series tablets as well, as it looks to be very touch-screen friendly.

On design terms, this thing is a head-on with Apple. Like a black MacBook Pro on steroids (I've never seen a MBP with BluRay drive or USB3.0), ASUS is on a good stretch here. I wonder if they are going to make companion software to access the BS5 or control existing Beosystems...

• 01-05-2010 7:13 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Stoney3K:

I'm a bit concerned about the portability of the thing, it looks quite fragile for an everyday-use notebook. I'd keep it more or less on the desktop, the 18" screen with the speakers is quite huge and I'm not sure how durable the hinges are. Thin laptops look good, but they're flimsy.

I think my 15.4" Toshiba is immobileSmile A friend of mine has one of the new 18" Toshiba Satellites and looking at it makes me wonder how anyone would need something like that to be mobile.

-------

When I first looked at the ASUS, a little of the BeoVision 8 looked like it had worked its way in.

Evan

• 01-06-2010 12:36 AM In reply to

Not bad at all!

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 01-06-2010 3:38 AM In reply to

• akoro
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • Espoo, Finland
    • Posts 88
    • Gold Member

I think this is those rare moments that you see something quite different and interesting from normally so dull IT business.

Actually I could easily see this as my work computer, specs seems to be great and design is even better. Maybe even nicer than my MBP...  But that 4.8kg weight will leave that computer on the desk. Even though that weight issue it's definately one to desire. Great job from David Levis!

• 01-06-2010 4:56 AM In reply to

I love the fact that thay are doing something different with laptop design as most 'designer' PC laptops haven't gone much beyond the purely cosmetic like fancy case design.

I think this laptop is aimed squarely at environments where a desktop PC/Monitor wouldn't work in design terms rather than as a truly portable machine, and given that context it is very desirable. It could be moved easily withon the house/office, but I wouldn't see anyone carrying it on the morning commute.

I worry about the touchpads though, it may be too easy to end up pressing random keys by accident when using them!

Simon

• 01-07-2010 11:31 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Overall I like the design.

A few things I find to be so troublesome I'd never buy it:

It's 18 inches. Eighteen!! Add to that the speakers, and you have a monstrosity never to be carried anywhere.

Given the size and propable use, I can't help but wonder why on earth it's got a 1.7GHz processor - albeit an i7.

Another thing: I moved from Apple's laptops to Thinkpads. One of the "heavy" reasons was the trackpoint, and when Apple made their touchpads even bigger, resulting in even more hurt in the long run, I figured a Thinkpad X200s was the way to go (trackpoint only - no touchpad at all)

Aaanyway, they "sell" this with two touchpads so one can play "dj" on them. what use would that be for the rest of us? Seriously?

No, personally I find that product to be all gimmick, no substance. I do like how the speakers look, though (this coming from someone who has a mone speaker at the bottom of his computer and mostly use headphones).

Edit:

I just realised where the touchpads are:

They are to the left and right of the keyboard. Speaking of ergonomics, that is propably the worst place for such things as you will have to use your hand the most to get there as opposed to a trackpad below or a trackpoint in the middle.

All in all, I figure Lewis forgot the golden rule: If it works, keep it, and if it aint' broken, don't fix it.

/end edit.

• 01-12-2010 3:01 PM In reply to

Electrified:

Another thing: I moved from Apple's laptops to Thinkpads. One of the "heavy" reasons was the trackpoint, and when Apple made their touchpads even bigger, resulting in even more hurt in the long run...

They are to the left and right of the keyboard. Speaking of ergonomics, that is propably the worst place for such things as you will have to use your hand the most to get there as opposed to a trackpad below or a trackpoint in the middle.

All in all, I figure Lewis forgot the golden rule: If it works, keep it, and if it aint' broken, don't fix it.

Of course, I haven't tried those, but let me disagree here. The problem with touch pads is that you cannot rest your palms anywhere. This is where trackpoint is great. By removing the button, Apple made the pad worse - I agree. They messed with something that wasn't broken (ok, the button was broken, but it should have been split into 2 buttons - now it is usability nightmare.... yes, I have new MBP and I've observed my kids as well as mom try to get the new improved touch pad). However, the position of the pad is broken as you don't get the support and therefore this new position might actually work. Your hand is much closer to where people have their hand when they are using traditional mouse (on the side of the laptop - not front). Maybe the hands stop hurting that much from the unnatural twist that happens in your wrist when you try to use the pad on front without moving your hand as you suggest. So, even you said it yourself that the pad (on Apple) is broken, so therefore it should be fixed! Smile

• 01-12-2010 3:22 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Habahaba:
    So, even you said it yourself that the pad (on Apple) is broken, so therefore it should be fixed! Smile

Hehe, good point. Although, touchpads work in general even if it's placed down there. However, I do prefer the trackpoint: Much less strain and fatigue associated with it. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)