in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-30-2009 4:36 PM by Alex. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-13-2007 5:44 AM

• Sudla
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 14
    • Bronze Member

Macbook Pro: Optical Out --> where put in into B&O equipment

Have a Ouverture as audio master and a BV3-32 as video master. The BV has a DTS module with digital input ports. Can I plugin the digital out of the Macbook?
  • 06-15-2007 5:50 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: Macbook Pro: Optical Out --> where put in into B&O equipment

Yes, I see no reason why not. Do you have the correct adapter for the MacBook? The digital output is hidden in the standard headphones connection and you need an adapter to enable it.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-16-2007 2:08 PM In reply to

Alex:
    Yes, I see no reason why not. Do you have the correct adapter for the MacBook? The digital output is hidden in the standard headphones connection and you need an adapter to enable it.

Alex is right. The signal out of your MacBook is TOSLINK Optical. Get a TOSLINK Minijack to TOSLINK plug cable; a TOSLINK to S/PDIF COAXIAL converter; a digital COAXIAL 75Ohms cable. The last one is the one you connect to your TV.

The cables don't cost much - the converter can cost you from GBP 20 to several hundreds of pounds. The GBP 20 one will do just fine. However, if you're a sound purist, you may request that the converter shouldn't have jitter issues when it converts from one digital signal to another.

Here's one converter: http://www.svideo.com/toslinkcoax1.html

• 06-17-2007 2:30 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Mine was £30, and to my ears it sounds fine! I've only ever used it to connect to my Rotel receiver though, maybe a better DAC would reveal any faults.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 03-14-2009 8:52 AM In reply to

Excuse my ignorance but I have just attached a Mac Mini to my Beovision 6-26 with the dolby 5.1 surround sound card.  I am currently using the standard mini jack to phone cable however I believe that if I use a digital output I will get better sound quality?

Firstly I'm not sure which input on the TV will work with the PC input as the only digital  inputs I see are INPUT 1 which is listed as digital input for equipment connected to the AV socket and INPUT 2 - for digital input from equipment connected to the V.TAPE socket?

Then I need to get one of these

Toslink to Coax (S/PDIF) Converter

http://www.svideo.com/toslinkcoax1.html

and

S/PDIF 3 ft.

http://www.svideo.com/spdif3.html

and

1m Toslink to Mini Toslink (3.5mm Minijack) Optical Cable

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/1m-toslink-mini-toslink-cable.html

Connect it all up and wow at the beautiful high quality audio?

Thanks,

Nic

• 03-25-2009 3:19 PM In reply to

Toslink to Coax Adapters are selling for mere 10 Euro at Ebay. You can safely go with a budget version. It just convert the plug type without affecting the sound.

Cheers, Knubbi -- Beovision 7-40 MK3, 2x Beolab 5, 2x Beolab 8000

• 03-28-2009 5:47 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

a good tip regarding converters:

If you have the space for it, go and buy an old DAT- or DCC-Recorder.  Most of them can act as a DA-Converter in Record-Standby-Mode.

This makes sure that you REALY have a high quality signal conversion!

• 03-28-2009 10:11 AM In reply to

There is no such thing as "high quality" signal conversion in TOS to COAX converters. It is digital-digital. It just changes the way of connection. There is no need to use a bulky recorder for that task that can be done with a 5 euro cigar pack size box. ;-)

Cheers, Knubbi -- Beovision 7-40 MK3, 2x Beolab 5, 2x Beolab 8000

• 03-30-2009 4:36 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Exactly, although you can debate that impedance matching may play a small role in making sure every bit gets through.

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)