in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-20-2009 9:09 AM by Puncher. 48 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (49 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-06-2009 10:44 AM In reply to

Re: Beovision 10 thoughts before buying

Peter :

Puncher:

I would be very interested to see the picture next to the Samsung TV that uses the same panel.

This isn't a critisism or a complaint about price, I just think it would be interesting to see if B&O's DSP is really that much better than anyone elses and is equally true of the BV7.

Well B&O say it is a lot better, but to mis-quote Mandy Rice-Davies, they would, wouldn't they? We did chat about the advantages of multi-brand shops and also the B1 stores.

This point occasionally comes up. The fabled "side by side" comparison. The truth is it's worthless for us, and as interesting an exercise as it might be, worthless for the end user. 

For the record, a side by side comparison confirms the suspicion that the B&O picture is "different" in a number of objectively measurable ways, but "better" is a value judgement that cannot be objectively measured, nor can it be monetized (i.e. is it $2,000 better? $6,000 better? etc.). Anyone who travels in circles with audiophiles knows that the eye and ear have a palette just like the gourmand's and that palette may have developed the sense organ into a more sophisticated instrument, but it has by no means detached it from the processing in our brains. 

I've set up so many systems in the decade + of doing this that have enough bass to shake a stump loose from the earth to have divested myself of the notion of "right & wrong" or "good & bad" sound. 

When describing our products I never say that we're the best, or better than, or any other such claim. I sometimes remark who our competitors are to establish (for the uninitiated) where they're shopping, but I only discuss what the products do and allow their objective merits to entice the buyer. 

If I were to slap another TV up on the wall, what would it prove? It won't make someone spend more money. At least not enough to bridge the price schism, and it short circuits any conversation as to the other amenities that characterize our televisions. It's like reducing a car to its engine (as the Americans have). Whatever that engine may or may not be capable of, it does not necessarily correlate to whether it handles well, has room enough for your legs, has a radio, leather seats, and the hundred other factors that recommend a car for purchase. If nothing else, it allows "light thinkers" to walk away with the impression that David somehow slew Goliath. 

If it helped anyone make a smarter buying decision it would be well worth it, but it doesn't work at Best Buy so why would it work with us?

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 11-06-2009 11:28 AM In reply to

I know what you mean but comparison does have a useful purpose so that one can see which mix of qualities suits an individual. The mix is surely the point of the B&O viewing panel who comment on the mix provided.

• 11-06-2009 1:12 PM In reply to

when people come round and look at the pic on my avant via sky they mostly if not all say 'so that's sky hd !?'

on an sd tv and sd source - the picture is THAT good

that's the bno difference imo

popgear is grate™

• 11-06-2009 1:36 PM In reply to

Flappo The Grate:

when people come round and look at the pic on my avant via sky they mostly if not all say 'so that's sky hd !?'

on an sd tv and sd source - the picture is THAT good

that's the bno difference imo

I've had similar comments - plus people often ask me if the Avant is B&O's latest flat panel!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 11-06-2009 2:23 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

TripEnglish:

If I were to slap another TV up on the wall, what would it prove? It won't make someone spend more money. At least not enough to bridge the price schism, and it short circuits any conversation as to the other amenities that characterize our televisions. It's like reducing a car to its engine (as the Americans have). Whatever that engine may or may not be capable of, it does not necessarily correlate to whether it handles well, has room enough for your legs, has a radio, leather seats, and the hundred other factors that recommend a car for purchase. If nothing else, it allows "light thinkers" to walk away with the impression that David somehow slew Goliath.

Does that mean that all B&O owners are therefore "heavy thinkers"?Erm................ I think, not there is a suprising quantity of wealthy light thinkers out there!Laughing

I would like to see a side by side for my own information - I wouldn't expect a B&O dealer to do it (or even agree it was an interesting excercise).

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 11-06-2009 3:33 PM In reply to

I thought that only Rolls Royce buyers didn't care about motors other than the car needed one.

There is a big box store near me that often has B&O TVs next to maybe 50 other brands.  One can easily see the design difference and sometimes the difference in picture.  However when I have been in the store what I mostly hear is something about the outrageous price of the B&O TV.

I am going to buy a BV10 when it is introduced into the US because I like the style and it goes with the my other B&O products.  I mostly listen to internet radio and music during the day and some TV in the evening.  I have been waiting for B&O to produce a TV like the BV10.  I feel its the Bang and Olufsen TV for the B&O owner that is less interested in television.  I am actually more interested in acquiring Beolab 5s.  BV10 is the TV for the rest of us!

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 11-18-2009 11:55 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Unfortunately I'm not going to buy the BV10 just yet as my financial situation isn't as good as I thought. A real shame as I had a chance to get a 20% discount. But I'll be surprised if 2010 don't show to be the year that my Avant has to give space to a younger, slimmer model Stick out tongue

Anyway, I talked to another dealer today who said that he wouldn't recommend the anti-reflection coating, as you would never be able to kill the reflections totally, and he personally couldn't see the difference. He then told me that the model he had displayed was without the coating and although it's a week or two since I saw the coated version last time, nothing told me that this should be any less good. I actually thought it had coating as it looked stunning.

So I'm still undecided and looking forward to week 50 when the dealers start to receive the floor stands, (which he also told me will not support cables to be run inside the tube).
    B&O Frederiksberg in Copenhagen told me that they will get a non-coated version on a stand next to the coated version they already have on the wall, so people can compare for themselves. 

• 11-18-2009 1:28 PM In reply to

• KMA
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Posts 101
    • Silver Member

Peter :

I know what you mean but comparison does have a useful purpose so that one can see which mix of qualities suits an individual. The mix is surely the point of the B&O viewing panel who comment on the mix provided.

I'll have the chance to compare a thoroughly calibrated Samsung UE40B7020 next to BV10, when my BV10 arrives. Especially the SD performance of the 7000 series has its acclaimed merits: Samsung's new "billion-dollar" picture processor makes even the old TV-series from the 70s and 80s a visual revelation to watch. No unwanted noise, practically no upscaling or motion artifacts - brilliant.

I was among the first who ordered BV10 in my country, so I'm told I'll receive my unit from the first batch which arrives in December. Interesting to see how BV10 measures up, and to what degree the picture can be "tweaked" (and by what means), if necessary.

In my opinion, BV10 should beat the Samsungs and Sonys picture-wise, even if it's not B&O's top-of-the-line TV (and not armed with the BeoSystem 3). 

I'll post my findings later; of flat panels, only Kuro 9G, which I previously owned, has had better picture processing than the new Samsungs. Of course there's more to picture quality than just the processing, and I'll try to provide an unbiased, objective review on the subject.

BV10 has the timeless, simplistic design to my taste. For me, it's been a long wait after the Avant :)

KMA

Current setup: BeoVision 10-46 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand) with Apple TV 2 (FireCore), Sony BDP-S780, Mac Mini, BeoLab 11 (silver), Beo5, BeoSound 8 (red speaker covers). Accessories: A8 Earphones, wine bottle coasters.

B&O product history, in chronological order since 1990, after the onset of the treaded BeoVirus (I tend to upgrade/change my setup "infrequently"): BeoSystem 2500 (with blue speaker covers), BeoLink 5000, BeoSystem 7000 (complete; silver/black), BeoLink 7000, RedLine 60.2, BeoVox Penta, BeoVision MX4000 (black, motorized floor stand), BeoCord VX5000 (black), BeoSystem 4500 (complete), BeoCenter 9500, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoVision Avant (original, 28" AR, VHS, green), BeoCenter 2300, BeoVision 3-32 (grey speaker frame, AR, motorised cabinet), DVD1 (grey), BeoCord V8000 (grey), Beo4, BeoSound Ouverture (w/ floor cabinet stand), BeoVision Avant RF (grey, 32", AR, VHS), BeoSound 9000, BeoCenter AV5 (blue), BeoVision 1 (yellow, motorized floor stand), Beo1, BeoSound Century (yellow), BeoCenter 1 (blue, AR, motorized floor stand), BeoSound 1 (silver, floor stand), BeoVision Avant RF DVD (grey, 32", AR), BeoVision 7-32 MkI (AR, motorized floor stand), BeoLab 3 (black), BeoSound 2, BeoVision 10-40 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand).

• 11-18-2009 1:50 PM In reply to

Wow a 20% discount? That's a great deal.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 11-18-2009 3:07 PM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

bayerische:

Wow a 20% discount? That's a great deal.

Yeah, that's why I was so set up to buy it when I started this thread, because the offer was only open for 2 weeks.

• 11-18-2009 3:11 PM In reply to

hi everyone i would just like to add that any potential buyers of the bv10 will not be dissapointed.

i had the oppuntunity to view one yesterday it was hooked up to a ps3 and the picture quality was incredible besides the fact that i was more shocked with the sound that was coming out of the slim cabinet of this tv.

to be honest after the demo my ears was a little sore who would of thought that this tv was capable of pushing out that kind of output.

true it doesn't sound like the speaker on the bv7 but i did hear bass and the overall sound was really really crisp and loud and when the rep turned up the volume there wasn't any distortion to speak of at all.

the only thing that i didn't like out of personal peference was the orange speaker grill i like the black one imho but at least you got the option to change it.

i think that the design is really really sleek and minimal and different from everything else on the market.

the other thing that i was shocked about also was the price i was asked how much i thought the tv cost i said around the 6 thousand mark the guy said to me that its going for 5200 pounds which really surprised me.

if i had to critisize this tv the only things that i would critisize it for is the lack of a third hdmi socket and the way that the connections are placed right underneath the tv to get to the connections it looks like you have to do yoga to bend down and connect things to it.

i think it would have been easier for the connections to be placed at the back of the tv i no it would have taken away from the seemless blend of the tv itself but hey its only my opinion other than that i don't think that i have any other complaints with this awesome tv.

• 11-18-2009 3:33 PM In reply to

I agree the orange speaker cover is not my thing! I am getting black! I agree the sound is really not bad at all - interestingly it is class D but not ICE.

I think most dealers now have their samples so worth a quick trip - the new catalogue is in too.

• 11-18-2009 3:48 PM In reply to

hi peter  after viewing the bv10 i got the 2009/10 catalogue.

congrats to you also on purchasing one i bet you can't wait till you get yours.

one thing i ask if you can and that is for your own views of the bv10 and maybe some possible pictures once again congrats.

• 11-18-2009 7:51 PM In reply to

Would someone be able to scan the BV 10 page in the new catalogue? I got the 2009/10 USA catalog last week and unfortunately it doesn't have the BV 10 in it. My dealer says it won't arrive until April or so next year.

Thanks, Leo

BV 10-40, BV 8-32, BL 9, BL 4, CX100, BS Ouverture, BS 2000, BG 4500, Passive, LC 1, A 9

• 11-19-2009 2:43 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Here is the french page of the catalog...

• 11-19-2009 11:46 AM In reply to

You could also go to this link for the technical specifications.

www.bang-olufsen.com/beovision10

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 11-19-2009 4:31 PM In reply to

Will a BV10 32 be available in the future?

Vince

• 11-19-2009 5:19 PM In reply to

vlohjr1:
    Will a BV10 32 be available in the future?

No, they will only be bigger ones. It was announced vert clearly by B&O.

• 11-19-2009 6:13 PM In reply to

Is anybody knowing when to expect a 46" version?

• 11-20-2009 2:49 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Certainely a 50" (not confirmed) but 46", i don't know.

Why not after all, it's a cool size.

B&O did not introduce this size in its portfolio : 26", 32", 40", 50", the new 55", 65", 103".

• 11-20-2009 5:40 AM In reply to

46" would be logical as this is the size of the Samsung edge lit screen also available. I have no word yet.

• 11-20-2009 6:08 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I do believe the upcoming new Samsung series 9 (B9000) panels (with locally dimable LED backlighting rather than edge lighting) will only be available in 46" & 55" too.

I've no idea if these are planned into a future B&O version but it is claimed they will be a step increase in LCD picture quality.

• 11-20-2009 8:32 AM In reply to

The backlit Samsung screen is the one used in the BV7-55.

• 11-20-2009 9:09 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Do you know if it's the upcoming B9000 series panel or last years 950 series (both rather confusingly called series 9)?

I believe it was the 950 version that achieved the highest picture quality score in a recent thread comparing reviews from a German TV test - I'm not sure if anyone has seen the new 9000 based TV yet.

Page 2 of 2 (49 items) < Previous 1 2