in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-20-2009 9:09 AM by Puncher. 48 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (49 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-04-2009 4:45 AM

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Beovision 10 thoughts before buying

I know we have a lot of BV10 threads already, but I chose to post a new one as I have some questions and I don't want them to get overseen in one of the other threads.

I am very close to buying a BV10.
    At present I own an Avant 32" RF DVD, which I am very happy with, but as I would really like a flatscreen I think it is time now to change it.

I've always been in love with the way the BV5/BV9 can stand "on their own" as the Avant does, which none of the other TVs do, but I've come to the conclusion that I do not want to spend the kind of money a used BV9 costs.
    The BV10 can almost look like the 5 and 9 on the floor stand, but it's still not the same and I'm not sure if it's a shame to place the BV10 on this stand, as some of the "thinness" is then lost.

My reason for not just ordering it with the wall mount is that I'm afraid it'll look silly between my BL1s, as they are very close to the TV as my living room is not very big, and my speakers will then be 30-40cm in front of the wall hung TV.
    I've added a picture of my current setup so you can see what I mean. 

My other questions are:

1: A lot of products have problems when they are released, (not sure exactly what it's called in english, it's called børnesygdomme in danish), where the first models might have some issues not caught in the testphase.  How is this with B&O?? Is it better to wait half a year so they might have caught all these problems, (if these problems exist)??

2: Is the DVB-HD, (which is standard in DK, although the catalog says the opposite) MPEG4??

3: Does it feature a digital scheme of all of the channel schedules, as "normal" flatscreens??

4: I know the sound can't be as good as the Avant because of the size, but will this be a problem for me as I have a pair of BL1's as front and BL3's as rear??

5: The salesman said that I should buy it with the anti-glare screen, but unfortunately didn't have both models so I could compare myself. Has anyone had a chance to compare these??

• 11-04-2009 4:57 AM In reply to

Re: Beovision 10 thoughts before buying

Sorry I cant answer any of these questions, but what a sweet setup !

• 11-04-2009 5:05 AM In reply to

I think this is a great thread! In my opinion many of us (me included) who are thinking about buying a BV 10 have these questions.

Beside these questions, I am thinking about buying the 10-40 or waiting until the 10-50 or buying the 7-55 and I'm not sure what is the most value for the price...?

• 11-04-2009 5:22 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Get a beovision 5 to go with those 1's :)

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 11-04-2009 5:23 AM In reply to

Toubro:
    1: A lot of products have problems when they are released, (not sure exactly what it's called in english, it's called børnesygdomme in danish), where the first models might have some issues not caught in the testphase.  How is this with B&O?? Is it better to wait half a year so they might have caught all these problems, (if these problems exist)??

Same chasis from BV8-40", so the eventually problems have been resolved for now...

Toubro:
    2: Is the DVB-HD, (which is standard in DK, although the catalog says the opposite) MPEG4??

Yes.

Toubro:
      3: Does it feature a digital scheme of all of the channel schedules, as "normal" flatscreens??

Yes, pressing Green button Wink

Toubro:
    4: I know the sound can't be as good as the Avant because of the size, but will this be a problem for me as I have a pair of BL1's as front and BL3's as rear??

Don't really know.

Toubro:
    5: The salesman said that I should buy it with the anti-glare screen, but unfortunately didn't have both models so I could compare myself. Has anyone had a chance to compare these??

Depends on: if you choose wall "bracketing", is recommended to use the anti-glare screen. With the stand option you can take off the effects of the glare turning the stand... And, of course, depends on the relative possition of the BV in the room: windows, lamps, etc.

Regards.

Jq. BS4 BL3 A8 Form2

• 11-04-2009 5:28 AM In reply to

has anyone an idea if the BV 10-50 will get better in any point as the BV 10-40 beside the size?

• 11-04-2009 5:30 AM In reply to

if it had a built in source i'd happily admit it's the new avant

but it hasn't 

so it isn't

popgear is grate™

• 11-04-2009 5:58 AM In reply to

Flappo The Grate:

if it had a built in source i'd happily admit it's the new avant

but it hasn't 

so it isn't

I think this sums up everything I've heard this week! Exactly. There is no source, and the speakers are probably not as thunderous as the Avant. In all honest, the BeoVision 7 should be considered the replacement for the Avant and not the BV10. Price should have nothing to do with the comparisons.

But it doesn't mean anything at the end of the day, from what I've read here, the BV10 seems like a great TV!

• 11-04-2009 6:11 AM In reply to

Toubro:

1. There is always a chance that there will be teething issues - I am getting the first customer one in the UK I understand so will be dealing with these! I expect most to be minor software issues which will be easily fixed. There have been a lot of pre-orders so if you order now, it will be some time before delivery. Clearly issues are fixed immediately they arise - one big advantage of the centralised servicing.

2. I believe so and it will be upgradable from what I have been told.

3. Don't know but I will let you know ASAP! I am sure it will though.

4. I was impressed with the sound - I will be doing a direct comparison but I think it will be fine as a centre channel. It needs a direct comparison doing, which will be my first task.

5. It needs the anti-glare in my opinion.

• 11-04-2009 6:44 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Thanks for all of your comments.

@Dave - I really like the BV5 designwise, but with the speed of the development in flatscreens it's too outdated in my opinion.

@Flappo The Grate and timhanna - What do you mean when you say it needs a built in source??
    Of course we all have different views on things, but as I wrote I think that the replacement for the Avant needs to be a furniture in itself, as I think the BV5 and BV9 is,  as you can place these on the floor without a stand.

@xegoon and Peter - Thanks for your precise answers.

I've thought about the network connectivity. A lot of brands offer music streaming, webbrowsing and more on their TV set. As I understand the BV10 don't have that, but on the other hand, I don't think I would ever use it, if it did.

One last question. Does anyone know if there is an On Screen Display?? Because I'm used to my Avant having the little red display, and I was just curious as I don't see one on the BV10, (or BV8/BV9 etc.)

• 11-04-2009 8:50 AM In reply to

Built in source: DVD Player etc.

• 11-04-2009 8:58 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Ahh, of course. Thanks.

• 11-04-2009 9:21 AM In reply to

the problem with the bv10 is that you'll have to connect a source to the tv and have all those lovely wires trailing to the tv , unless you hack a hole in the wall..

that's why the avant and the bv7 imo are still the best bno tvs ever made

the whole in one box concept that bno used to make such a big deal about is exemplified by those products

if i wanted loads of ugly boxes all over the room i'd buy a sony

popgear is grate™

• 11-04-2009 9:28 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

If there is something my eyes can't stand it's wires.

I am very committed to making clean installations, so if I choose the wall mount, all the cables will be run inside the wall.

At present I have the wires from my BL1s and a cable sock with cables to my cabinet.
    The BL1 cables have to stay as I won't make holes in the floor, but they will go into the wall instead, as will all the cables in the cablesock.

As I have a PS3, I can live without a built in source, although I'm very happy with the built in DVD player in my Avant.

• 11-04-2009 9:40 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I would be very interested to see the picture next to the Samsung TV that uses the same panel.

This isn't a critisism or a complaint about price, I just think it would be interesting to see if B&O's DSP is really that much better than anyone elses and is equally true of the BV7.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 11-04-2009 9:47 AM In reply to

Agree completely about the wires - hopefully working on this. The problem with a built in source is that the trend is away from physical media and towards downloads and file based media. The BV10 on show with the floor stand had a TViX device attached to the stand behind the TV which can act as the source. As these devices are being updated and improved all the time, fitting one internally would seem likely to lead to long term dissatisfaction.

I will be using SkyHD with mine and a BC2 so that along with DVB-T seems fine. The Wii will attach to the Avant in the playroom!

• 11-04-2009 11:12 AM In reply to

Flappo The Grate:

the problem with the bv10 is that you'll have to connect a source to the tv and have all those lovely wires trailing to the tv , unless you hack a hole in the wall..

that's why the avant and the bv7 imo are still the best bno tvs ever made

the whole in one box concept that bno used to make such a big deal about is exemplified by those products

if i wanted loads of ugly boxes all over the room i'd buy a sony

I agree. Looking at both the photographs and the user manuals it is not clear whether the hinged wall-plate itself also has something buried in the wall besides simple (hidden) wall fixings: does any of the hinge opening restrictor fold into the wall plate? The photographs seem to show a rather tatty wire connection at the bottom of the screen below the hinge. You are right, Flappo, that this is one of the great points of the Avant. My Avant hides all connections, boxes etc. I also have a wall mounted BC1. That was a real job to get cabled-up through a wall duct hidden behind a plasterboard panel, and needing thick scarts it was a real job to get everything into the support arm. The BV10 hinge wall-plate should really incorporate a cable terminal and outlet so that the minimum of cabling needs to go to the TV itself. Just a neat cable outlet in the hinge plate would help. I wouldn't mind betting that that will be one of the first 'hardware' updates for this TV!

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 11-04-2009 11:26 AM In reply to

If mounted on the floor stand, hiding wires is a reason why the lower stand of the BV5/9 would be an advantage over the taller one fitted on the BV10 (setting aside aesthetic opinions for the moment). Wires coming out from behind the TV would be less noticeable.

Leo

BV 10-40, BV 8-32, BL 9, BL 4, CX100, BS Ouverture, BS 2000, BG 4500, Passive, LC 1, A 9

• 11-04-2009 6:06 PM In reply to

The hinge is flush mounted on the wall and adds 8mm to the depth. There is a cable cover available for wall mounting as an option.

As far as the floor stand is concerned, the cables are routed inside the stand with a port at the rear. Cabling on the TV is hidden behind a removable panel (rather cheap plastic it has to be said). I now have a delivery date - 25/11/2009. I do agree that a lower stand could be preferable - hack saw is at the ready!! Laughing

• 11-04-2009 7:01 PM In reply to

I wonna buy a BV 10 for my link room hanging on the wall; it will replace my MX 4002; two BL 8000 for good sound. Overall 6 cables have to be hidden behind the thin BV 10. Hope this will be possible without any problems!

Räuber

• 11-04-2009 7:26 PM In reply to

I think your current set up looks nice, but I think the BV10 "floating" on the wall at a different height will look fabulous

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 11-05-2009 4:38 AM In reply to

Puncher:

I would be very interested to see the picture next to the Samsung TV that uses the same panel.

This isn't a critisism or a complaint about price, I just think it would be interesting to see if B&O's DSP is really that much better than anyone elses and is equally true of the BV7.

Well B&O say it is a lot better, but to mis-quote Mandy Rice-Davies, they would, wouldn't they? We did chat about the advantages of multi-brand shops and also the B1 stores.

• 11-06-2009 9:20 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Peter :

The hinge is flush mounted on the wall and adds 8mm to the depth. There is a cable cover available for wall mounting as an option.

As far as the floor stand is concerned, the cables are routed inside the stand with a port at the rear. Cabling on the TV is hidden behind a removable panel (rather cheap plastic it has to be said). I now have a delivery date - 25/11/2009. I do agree that a lower stand could be preferable - hack saw is at the ready!! Laughing

I visited another dealer today hoping to see a floorstand, but he told me that they didn't get it before week 50.

He also said that the cables would have to be run on the outside like on a BV7 stand. ON THE OUTSIDE.... That's a big no-go for me. You can't run cables on the outside of these kinds a products. Is this really the case with other B&O flat screen stands??
    Peter, do you have any reference or picture showing the cabling in the stand as you're describing it?? 

I asked him about having floor speakers placed close by the TV, and he said that they had had a pair of 8000s next to it, which had looked a bit weird unless there was some air between them.

So I'm still not any closer to a decision Sad

• 11-06-2009 10:18 AM In reply to

To each their own; especially on matters of aesthetics, but I can't figure out why wiring is such a big deal.

If you don't dress the wires they're sure to be an eye-sore, but there is an entire industry devoted to making wire dressing as discreet as possible. There are channels that run along the base of trim (for those with challenging wall construction), and beautiful cable loom to keep everything in a tidy umbilical. 

There has been an increasing penchant for making the wires an incorporated part of the design, even with the BeoLab 8000s whose tails run so elegantly from the sockets. 

I've found that televisions like the Avant and BeoVisions 5&9 lead to aesthetic laziness and are more likely to have 15 pounds of dusty wires and a fallen over set top box behind them. I've attached a pic of the BV7 to illustrate the point. 

So I'm really anticipating the BeoVision 10, both personally and professionally (though I'm going to have to start doubling up TVs pretty soon!)

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 11-06-2009 10:23 AM In reply to

The stand is much the same as the BV6-26 - there is an exit at the back at the base - the wires all went up the stand on the one at the show. I am afraid I do think wires are a big issue and hope to get something done about this!

Page 1 of 2 (49 items) 1 2 Next >