in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-16-2009 9:55 AM by Stoney3K. 33 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-26-2009 5:39 PM

• scuba
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-28-2008
    • Posts 48
    • Bronze Member

What is your favorite vintage B&O product?

Mine is a mint Beogram 1202 standing there on a VM acoustics glass shelf ,my wife hates it thoughBig Smile

Jon

• 10-26-2009 5:48 PM In reply to

Re: What is your favorite vintage B&O product?

Beocenters from 5000 to 7700, I love them, I pass all the time on then, beautiful machines, some parts still to be "obscure" and other clear as water, beautiful!!!!

Eugenio Colazzo

• 10-27-2009 12:33 AM In reply to

• Bo
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-09-2008
    • Ribe, Denmark
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

My favvorite(s) are my vintage ribbon-mic's

BM5 BM5 BM6

I've re-soldered the cables so that they will work with modern pre-amps.

I use them every week - proffesionally - as a soundtech at a venue, for guitar-cabinets, drumset-overheads, trumpets, saxophones....you name it...and the musicians absolutely LOVE the sound of them, and I've more than once been offered very nice ammounts of money for them...but every time the reply is: "Sorry, Not for sale"

....... to protect them from modern-day phantom power I've bought three "adaptors" from the australian microphone manufacturer "Røde".. that's RODE, for the english speaking segment. They are ralled "Røde D Powerplug"

The mic's will work without them, though...but better safe then sorry.

Boa

Filed under:
  • 10-27-2009 2:34 PM In reply to

Hard to decide on just one but:

Beosystem 6000 quad in white editon with Beogram 6000 and Beocord 5000. I don't have it yet.

Beosystem 6000 80's white editon with matching Beovox S80.2 and Beovox S120. Have it allready.

Beosystem 8000 rosewood. Beogram 8002 and Beocord 9000 + CDX. Using Beovox M150. Have it allready.

• 10-27-2009 2:59 PM In reply to

Bo:

My favvorite(s) are my vintage ribbon-mic's

BM5 BM5 BM6

A refreshingly different reponse! Thank you for sharing your experience/use of them!

What is the definition of vintage? >10 years >25 years???

Hmmm... BL5000, of course!

Although, Dillen's rework of the '39 had me drooling!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 10-27-2009 4:16 PM In reply to

• scuba
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-28-2008
    • Posts 48
    • Bronze Member

My opinion: A B&O product becomes a classic imediately after its been discontinued and vintage after maybe 15-20 years

Jon

• 10-27-2009 5:27 PM In reply to

My favorite vintage B&O product is the one i use on a daily basis... a Beomaster 4000 and s45s-2 speakers being driven by a DAC / Airport / iTunes combination.

• 10-27-2009 5:35 PM In reply to

erimille:

My favorite vintage B&O product is the one i use on a daily basis... a Beomaster 4000 and s45s-2 speakers being driven by a DAC / Airport / iTunes combination.

Fantastic setup! I actually like the 4000 better than the 4400! Such a classic... and the S45-2... no better speaker for the $ -period!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 10-28-2009 12:13 AM In reply to

• Bo
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-09-2008
    • Ribe, Denmark
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

burantek:

A refreshingly different reponse! Thank you for sharing your experience/use of them!

What is the definition of vintage? >10 years >25 years???

Hmmm... BL5000, of course!

Although, Dillen's rework of the '39 had me drooling!

Hi, Burantek. And thanks for the kind words.

In this case, vintage is 40 years + (just like me... hee hee) , since all three mic's are early 1960's...

Even though they are this old, they've actually only been in use for the last 2 years or so.. doesn't get any more mint than that, methinks.

Bo

• 10-28-2009 2:55 AM In reply to

• Macus
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-14-2009
    • Kungälv, Sweden
    • Posts 25
    • Bronze Member

My favourite vintage B&O product is the ultrasonic remote control seen in my avatar.

It is very useful when communicating with dolphins, starting car alarms and driving the dogs mad besides controlling my Beomaster 2400-2.

Smile

Owner of a Beomaster 2400-2 and a pair of Beovox 1001 speakers. 

My other favourite brands are Apple, Philips and Infinity.

• 10-28-2009 4:17 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

My favourites are my mint condition white Beovox MC120.2's.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 10-29-2009 12:37 AM In reply to

Beomaster 8000, nothing says B&O more.  Quessential B&O product.

• 10-29-2009 3:18 AM In reply to

There is so many to choose from. Some of my favourites have already been mentioned. Another one on my list is the Rondstraler. And I really like a Beomaster 2000 as well.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 10-29-2009 7:11 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Mine would be the Beomaster 1900 or 2400-2...only if I could get them to work!! grr!!

Durban South Africa

• 10-29-2009 10:08 AM In reply to

RedGrant:

Beomaster 8000, nothing says B&O more.  Quessential B&O product.

I do understand why people like the 8000 system, but I think it is not typical B&O for a number of reasons.

1. The heat sink at the back is so separate and looks like an afterthought - it doesn't add to the design. I would have had a separate power amplifier which could be placed elsewhere - maybe this was the thought behind the later speakers.

2. The buttons are a retrograde step compared to the sensors on the 2400  - that is classic B&O - a completely flat surface.

3. It didn't really lead to anything else - rather it signalled the end of the Hi-Fi separates. I know the 6000 came after but that was a development of the 4400 really and the stacking systems were really a development of the music centres. Most B&O evolves - think the 1900 and the 2500 series.

When I think of B&O, I think flat aluminium and black glass with no buttons.  

• 10-29-2009 1:26 PM In reply to

Peter

You know I love the 8000 system and I see where you're coming from. I have mine next to a black RF Avant, and when I see the smoked glass and LED displays on the Avant, I immediately think of the 8000 as that's where they started. When I look too at my BM 6000 and 2000, I also see the nod to the past with the big flush tuning wheels on the 8000. Touch sensitive was only a part of the B&O product range.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 10-29-2009 2:39 PM In reply to

Peter :

1. The heat sink at the back is so separate and looks like an afterthought - it doesn't add to the design.

Interesting thought.   Where do you think they should have placed the heat sink?

Peter :
     I would have had a separate power amplifier which could be placed elsewhere - ....

I agree, even though combining all these could be convenient and even enhance performance, and could look more streamlined, when one of the things break it could be a royal pain to get it fixed, and also to get it shipped, more expensive, more hassle and increasing the chance of breakage of unaffected parts during the transport.

This is one of the reasons I'm getting into separates, and non-powered speakers.

• 10-29-2009 5:51 PM In reply to

burantek:

Fantastic setup! I actually like the 4000 better than the 4400! Such a classic... and the S45-2... no better speaker for the $ -period!

Re "S45-2... no better speaker for the $ -period!", I have to agree there is something absolutely special about this speaker.

I own several fantastic (and somewhat esoteric) sets of speakers (Infinity P-FRs, Near 50meII, Ohm Walsh 2, Decware Radials, etc.) but the Beomaster 4000 + s45-2 combination is just such a fantastic match that I find myself stunned every time I turn them on. 

This stunned aspect has been going on now for several years... perhaps I'm a bit slow, but the story I'm sticking to is the s45-2's are just one heck of a nice set of speakers ;)

--e

• 10-29-2009 6:32 PM In reply to

I would vote for my  S45-2 speakers that I use avery day because I love the sound, and for looks I would go for the Beomaster 1900. I think the 1900 was the most attractive of the many related  Beomasters that followed and even now it still looks fresh and modern despite being 33 years old.

I remember seeing one when I was around 12 years old and it seemed a true product of the space age! So far ahead of anything else available at the time.

Simon

• 10-29-2009 6:46 PM In reply to

The Dirigent, for it's slick looks and progressive concept: only FM reception and 'mulitmedia' prepared :).

The Beocord 1200/1600, best looking RtoR ever (only competitor i know of is the later Lyrec Frida, als from DK).

• 10-29-2009 6:52 PM In reply to

The Dirigent pic

• 10-30-2009 4:54 AM In reply to

ipaul:

The Beocord 1200/1600, best looking RtoR ever (only competitor i know of is the later Lyrec Frida, als from DK).

Have to agree, I've always liked those. The trial R-to-Rs that had similar control keys to Beomaster 6000 / Beogram 4002/6000 looked totally awesome, too bad they never entered production.

I like many of the old radios as well (being partial to my Master 38K of course), although some of them are just plain ugly Smile

Of the stuff I own, I still pick the Beomaster 900K. Never get bored with it.

-mika

• 10-30-2009 5:24 AM In reply to

I agree! However when you go to the Struer museum, you will see the Beocord 6000 and it is quite disappointing in the flesh! It really is a mock up with no working mechanism at all.

I had a 1600 for a while - looks great but not nearly as good a deck as the 2400.

• 10-30-2009 6:20 AM In reply to

tournedos:

Of the stuff I own, I still pick the Beomaster 900K. Never get bored with it.

I would love a 900K! I have been looking for a while but they are getting very hard to find now!

Simon

• 10-30-2009 10:06 AM In reply to

• djram
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-26-2007
    • Posts 78
    • Gold Member

wirralsimon:

I would vote for my  S45-2 speakers that I use avery day because I love the sound, and for looks I would go for the Beomaster 1900. I think the 1900 was the most attractive of the many related  Beomasters that followed and even now it still looks fresh and modern despite being 33 years old.

I remember seeing one when I was around 12 years old and it seemed a true product of the space age! So far ahead of anything else available at the time.

Simon

On the bm1900. I brought a spare bm1900 to the office and installed it in a meeting room. A collegue, age 25, came in and sad: Wow that is the latest model, is it not. And he was not joking but looked pretty confused when i told him that it was from the mid 70´s.

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >