in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-01-2009 4:04 PM by Peter. 110 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (111 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-22-2009 8:44 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-27-2009
    • Sydney, Australia
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Re: First pictures of BV 10 (updated)

What is the point of making a flat TV?  It's boring.  They should embrace the third dimension.  

Is it so it can hang on a wall?  If I saw a TV on the wall I'd ask 'who is this peasant and why doesn't he have any art?'

Suitable for cashed-up-bogans, but inferior.

• 10-22-2009 9:03 AM In reply to

The real amazement with B&O is that we fans always are excited about something that all other manufacturers have been doing for ages, and B&O is always the last one to jump in:

- BeoVision 10 is mainly designed for wall placement, something that all flat screen manufacturers did from the beginning, with B&O deliberately doing the opposite and giving a third dimension to its flat screen range;

- BeoCom 5 is B&O's first DECT speaker phone, something all cordless phones have been offering (with poor performance, I know) as standard for ages;

- if we go back in time, even BeoCenter 2 was the last DVD-radio combo to be launched;

- I'm sure the next main product, the "Ipod dock BeoSound", will also be considered revolutionary, although it will be the last Ipod dock released by a consumer electronics manufacturer..and we will all be excited about it tooStick out tongue

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 10-22-2009 11:03 AM In reply to

Yes, but B&O do it with style! I see the BV10 as the ultimate expression of the BV5 theme - but finally the thickness is actually down to picture frame proportions. The emphasis on sound quality sets this aside from other thin sets suitable for wall mounting.

But don't believe me or anyone else! Go and see this set for yourself and listen. This set has been talked about more enthusiastically than any other product by insiders at B&O than anything I can remember. From people at the factory to the UK MD, everyone is behind this, and I can see why. Finally we have a set which is priced reasonably (for a B&O!) offering modern performance with no drawbacks. An Avant 32" VCR was £5250 in the year 2000. This equates to £6720 in today's money. OK, you got a VCR , but you are getting DVB-HD and a 40" screen with the BV10.

• 10-22-2009 12:05 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Peter :

Yes, but B&O do it with style!

To be fair Peter, it's not that stylish. It's also a lot of money to pay, for 'style'. Sure the BV10 is a good-looking TV, but it's only a re-designed version of the old BV5!

I think a lot of B&O customers convince themselves that something is more stylish than it really is, to justify their expense.

• 10-22-2009 12:59 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Michael:

What is the point of making a flat TV?  It's boring.  They should embrace the third dimension.  

Is it so it can hang on a wall?  If I saw a TV on the wall I'd ask 'who is this peasant and why doesn't he have any art?'

Suitable for cashed-up-bogans, but inferior.

That's a lot of assumptions. So because one choose to buy a tv not on a floor stand, suddenly they're peasants and there is no way such a "peasant" can have art as well?

I don't see a wall-hung telly as "inferior" in any way. On the contrary, it makes for much more cosy seating when watching the telly, and even if you're sitting at a high table, the wall hung telly won't have obstructions in front of it.

A wall hung telly also makes it easier to not design your living room around the telly, but rather let the telly fit into what else is there. In fact, I find it to be peasant-like to buy a telly, sit it on the floor and then put furniture around it. ;)

Also, I don't see the coupling between "no art" and "peasant". Maybe because I prefer to have as little as possible on my walls. Art on the walls is usually very bourgeois in my book.

I don't know where you have been for the past decade, but flatscreens on walls - be it in plain sight or hidden behind a cabinet or a simple front - are not something out of this world. I'm amazed that you have never seen a tv wallmounted.

Chrisreunion:
    - I'm sure the next main product, the "Ipod dock BeoSound",

Oh, gaawd, I hope not!!

• 10-22-2009 1:54 PM In reply to

• mason
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-08-2008
    • Posts 53
    • Bronze Member

I think it is stunning – elegant, refined, minimal and discreet.

• 10-23-2009 12:05 AM In reply to

Chrisreunion:

The real amazement with B&O is that we fans always are excited about something that all other manufacturers have been doing for ages, and B&O is always the last one to jump in:

- BeoVision 10 is mainly designed for wall placement, something that all flat screen manufacturers did from the beginning, with B&O deliberately doing the opposite and giving a third dimension to its flat screen range;

- BeoCom 5 is B&O's first DECT speaker phone, something all cordless phones have been offering (with poor performance, I know) as standard for ages;

- if we go back in time, even BeoCenter 2 was the last DVD-radio combo to be launched;

- I'm sure the next main product, the "Ipod dock BeoSound", will also be considered revolutionary, although it will be the last Ipod dock released by a consumer electronics manufacturer..and we will all be excited about it tooStick out tongue

Haha, Spot on

• 11-01-2009 2:39 PM In reply to

Re: First pictures of BV 10

Nice idea mobey!

I'm busy saving up for a BV10 so that I can experiment on it to get a multi-way "Medusa Head" box developed, but I think this could be a long way off! Erm

My current "back of an envelope" designs that I'm working on (just in case anyone is interested!) are:-

1) A set of convertors/extenders for BeoSound 5 to Beomaster 5 to give a 25m cable length

2) A wireless extender for Powerlink (including switching and data for Pentas)

3) A mk.2 version of Beotime modelled on a tenor saxophone instead of a flute (in hindsight, not one of my better designs!) Laughing

Seriously though, I'm talking to a large electronics company overseas (no, not in Denmark) who have the ability to develop ideas like these into working products (well, maybe two of the three ideas above!) so if there are any other good ideas out there, Dragon's Den may be a realistic possibility..... Cool

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

• 11-01-2009 2:48 PM In reply to

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

Nice idea mobey!

I'm busy saving up for a BV10 so that I can experiment on it to get a multi-way "Medusa Head" box developed, but I think this could be a long way off! Erm

My current "back of an envelope" designs that I'm working on (just in case anyone is interested!) are:-

1) A set of convertors/extenders for BeoSound 5 to Beomaster 5 to give a 25m cable length

2) A wireless extender for Powerlink (including switching and data for Pentas)

3) A mk.2 version of Beotime modelled on a tenor saxophone instead of a flute (in hindsight, not one of my better designs!) Laughing

Seriously though, I'm talking to a large electronics company overseas (no, not in Denmark) who have the ability to develop ideas like these into working products (well, maybe two of the three ideas above!) so if there are any other good ideas out there, Dragon's Den may be a realistic possibility..... Cool

Steve.

A wireless powerlink would be fabulous. 
    Please let us know when it becomes available

• 11-01-2009 3:07 PM In reply to

Michael:

Strangely enough I was just thinking that if the flat screen had come first, we might have all been willing to pay extra for a curved front TV!

The Beovision1/ Beocenter1 televisions are really beautifully designed and their curved screen actually enhances their appearance.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 11-01-2009 4:04 PM In reply to

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

Nice idea mobey!

Steve.

I hope to get the first one in Newcastle and am happy to measure etc . I'll keep you posted!

Page 5 of 5 (111 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5