in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-05-2009 4:13 AM by tournedos. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-04-2009 8:33 PM

My Beogram & Beomaster

I have a Beogram 3000 turntable and Beomaster 3000-2 that I bought in the 70s. I haven't used them in years, but could never bear to sell them or give them away since a) they're beautiful, and b) they have sentimental value as they were my very first purchase on credit (like $10/month - forever).

Now, I'm thinking to have them serviced so that I can actually use them again. I'm making the assumption that after 20 years or so in the storeroom, they'll need some work.  I live in Berkeley, CA. I have seen service manuals for sale on Ebay, but I am not, as are many folks on this site, handy electronically. Any advice on who to go to? A dealer?  Might this cost me more than an entirely new stereo system?

Cheers,

Cathleen

• 10-05-2009 4:13 AM In reply to

Re: My Beogram & Beomaster

Hello Cathleen, welcome to the forum Smile

You might just go ahead and try the Beomaster. There's a very good chance it will just work, the switches and sliders may need some exercise to work cleanly without scratching. Do you have any kind of speakers for it?

The Beogram will most probably need a cleaning and lubrication job and a new belt before working properly. That won't be a big problem if the stylus is still OK - if not, getting a new one will cost a bit. If the stylus is good and the deck worked when you put it into storage, I would again just test it... but don't use your favourite record!

Sorry I can't help you much with service facilities over there, but I understand it can be difficult in the States. The dealers will most probably refuse to work on old equipment, or they will delegate the job to someone else anyway.

Regarding the service manuals - if you decide you will need them, you'd probably do better upgrading your Beoworld membership than buying them off eBay. Silver level costs about the same as a couple of manuals, you'd get access to all we have here, and some of the manuals on sale have been downloaded from here anyway...

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)