in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-05-2009 7:02 AM by Pestria. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-27-2009 4:21 PM

TV Repairers - Derby?

Any recommendations for a good (B&O) TV repairer in the Derby area?

I suspect I've got a power board failure on my MX7000 and have decided it's probably worth getting it fixed while waiting to see what the BV10 looks like....... see previous thread on TV choices!

Thanks in advance.

AP

• 09-28-2009 10:24 AM In reply to

• BeoLad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-23-2007
    • West Midlands
    • Posts 37
    • Bronze Member

Re: TV Repairers - Derby?

Hi

I know this maybe a really stupid question, but have you thought of contacting the Derby B&O dealer?

just googled them for you and got the link:

http://beostores.bang-olufsen.co.uk/derbyshire-derby/welcome

I am on the list to see the new BV10 which is due there hopefully about xmas.

• 09-28-2009 4:38 PM In reply to

I sort of assume that the new glossy franchise dealers simply subcontract repairs out.  I thought i might be able to avoid their mark up by going to a reputable repairer directly.

• 09-29-2009 11:01 AM In reply to

• BeoLad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-23-2007
    • West Midlands
    • Posts 37
    • Bronze Member

They have an engineer there who is very good, I would not coose to have my set done by anyone other than a proper dealer least they have all the right bits to do the job.

Good luck to you if you choose anyone else other than a dealer!

Worth popping in just to get a coffee and a play in the cinema room. Get on the mail list and get invited to the events too.

• 09-29-2009 11:15 AM In reply to

Not sure I agree with you 100% there Beolad. As the MX series is now a distant memory for many dealerships, and given the second-hand value of the sets, I see no reason to necessarily only consider the dealership and its attendant premium service prices. I have continually been astonished by the amazing value I have received from members/repairers known to many on this forum, when fixing some of my vintage gear. I was chatting to someone recently who paid a lot more than I did to have a Beogram 4000 series deck overhauled by a dealer, when I instead went down a different and much more economical route.

That said, I don't know of anyone in the Midlands who does this kind of thing. Did/does Neil (Nobby) do this kind of stuff???

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 09-29-2009 11:44 AM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

Neil (Nobby) is in Surrey - a great guy but not in the right location for the OP.

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 09-29-2009 3:12 PM In reply to

• Tayne
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-31-2007
    • Posts 23
    • Bronze Member

What about Nottingham? A long running dealer, im sure they will have great service for older equipment!

• 09-29-2009 4:54 PM In reply to

• Beowulf
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Derbyshire
    • Posts 143
    • Bronze Member

I have had great service from both Nottingham and Derby, I did see a very nice Beolit that Derby had rebuilt using doner parts which looked mint and Andy (Dealer Principle) was justifiably proud of. Repair may be expensive as boards rather than componants seem to be replaced these days. (Avoid the TV repair place on Tamworth Road, Long Eaton!)

Regards

Dave

Beowulf

• 10-01-2009 9:55 AM In reply to

• BeoLad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-23-2007
    • West Midlands
    • Posts 37
    • Bronze Member

The Arnold store has now closed where the nottingam repairs where done, and I am sure that there is no space for a service room at the lacemarket shop.

Been into the derby store today to collect my new BeoTime! I feel like the pied piper ha ha ha

They said they would have a look at any older items as they have doner sets out the back of the store they can use for spares, aswell as some old audio systems which is interesting.

Roll on 6:30 when BeoTime wakes me up, just hope I can sleep now

• 10-01-2009 10:11 AM In reply to

...just try taking in a Beomaster 6000 Quad and asking for them to rebuild one of the output channels! Sorry to be cynical - just had poor experiences from most dealers when requesting servicing of older equipment. Most seem to treat the fact that some people collect older B&O as an annoyance and possible missed sale opportunity, rather than a way to encourage punters into the shops in the first place.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 10-01-2009 10:51 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

Try East Tv Midford/Milford (?) just south Stafford on A34(?) they have done work for me in the past - expensive but the kit is still working several years on!

Another route if you're sure its a power board failure pm Nobby his pseudonym down in Farnham he may be able to send you the board - relatively easy to instal if you have medium skills!

tony s

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 10-21-2009 5:52 PM In reply to

Well in the end I decided to get the set repaired at B&O Derby.

They came to pick it up 16 days ago, having arrived an hour later than they said they would even though it was supposed to be 1st call of the day! 

They promised to get back to me in a couple of days to advise of what's wrong and cost of repair. I heard nothing, so I called them to be told they hadn't realised the engineer was off for a few days.

As I hadn't heard anything for two weeks, I called again.  I was told the engineer was due to pick it up later that day, but they'd get back and tell me costs etc.  I haven't heard anything since.

I'm more than a little miffed to put it mildly.  It also seems my theory about them sub-contracting repairs out is right.  I'll be paying a mark up for an appalling level of service.  

This is meant to be an interim repair until I buy something more uptodate.  Let's just say it'll be highly unlikely that I'll deal with them again.

AP

• 10-21-2009 6:43 PM In reply to

• Beowulf
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Derbyshire
    • Posts 143
    • Bronze Member

Just had a SKY box repaired and modified by Michael Dransfield of Digifix, Buxton, great service and cheap. He had an MX7000 in that he had repaired. Highly recomended.

Dave

Beowulf

• 11-04-2009 7:10 AM In reply to

Hi Pestria.

I'm sorry to hear that you feel that you have not had a good experience with us so far. That you have had to chase us is neither satisfactory nor normal and for that I apologise.

We aim to offer the best possible service to all of our clients whether they are having an old item serviced or are buying something new from the product portfolio although we do occasionally get it wrong.

With regard to your comments about contracting out, we have no other choice because we haven't anywhere near the amount of work to justify employing our own service engineer on a full time basis but we do want to offer the complete service to all of our clients.

What we have done is chosen to work with someone who has many years experience and who we feel allows us to offer good value for money, a fast turn round time and also a very high standard of work. 

We get regular comments about how reasonable our costs are in relation to others and I would also point out that whilst it may sometimes be the case, sub contracting doesn't always have to be more expensive and can yeild just as good results. We can also normally complete a job in seven days (depending on parts availabilty) which we feel is a good level of service.

I have been unable to esablish which set is yours but I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the matter in more detail with you to see if we can correct our mistakes. Please feel free to contact me personally at the store or if you can pm me your details I will get in touch with you.

Best regards

Andy Wardlaw

Dealer Principal

• 11-04-2009 4:58 PM In reply to

Derby have always looked after me, I think its very brave to admit to not meeting customers expectations on a public forum! 

Andy and the team keep up the hard work

• 11-04-2009 5:22 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I'm sat here impressed too!

I doubt many dealers would register then post a reply on BeoWorld to apologise.  That took some courage, and pride in your job / service.

Hopefully Derby will get this sorted and reach a happy conclusion.  All the best to both customer and dealer Yes -  thumbs up

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 11-05-2009 7:02 AM In reply to

Andy

Thanks for the reply.

I'd just like to say to everyone that I went into the Derby store to have a chat with and to explain how miffed I was their service.  In the event Andy was very helpful in advising and demonstrated what the store had to offer - as a result I ended walking out having ordered a new BV8!

I understand  that the employee I was dealing with at Derby is no longer with them - perhaps there were reasons?   I suppose stnadards occassionally slip in all walks of life, but it's important how things are are dealt  with from then on - in this regard Andy/Derby were very good and and I'm looking forward to getting the set installed on Saturday.

AP

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)